• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony close to agreeing cloud gaming acquisition

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks to Spider_Jerusalem

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-close-to-agreeing-cloud-gaming-acquisition/096914

In a move that will rock the next generation of console gaming, Sony is close to agreeing an acquisition of a high profile cloud gaming firm, MCV understands.

It was reported earlier this week that Sony was to reveal a partnership with a cloud gaming firm – specifically either OnLive or Gaikai – at E3 next week.

Subsequent chatter had seemingly calmed the rumours, suggesting that the proposed agreement was to do with Sony streaming TV services, and not consoles.

However, MCV understands that the deal is far more extensive than anyone could have predicted and will see Sony fully acquire one of the two firms. The deal, our source says, “is close to being signed”.

This should just be for demos and/or older PS1/2 games with compatibility issues. Not full retail titles. Streaming games still isn't ideal IMO...lag, compression issues etc

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It can't be bc. It's not really bc. And you wouldn't buy a company just for that...

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it´s just an extra feature of the PSN service I say go for it Sony. If it´s the vocalpoint of their ps4 strategy I would be seriously pissed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A full out acquisition? Damn this is gonna be huge. I honestly can't wait. It could be completely mind blowing.

Or a total disappointment. I think this is sadly more likely :(

If it's the base for PS4, Sony basically just dug their own grave.

Honestly couldn't disagree any more. PS4 needs something to differentiate itself and something like this could easily be it.

iceatcs

Cloud gaming may be the future. Play all the library without change the code.

Just develop on one system. Cloud can easy run this game on multi-platforms.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I highly doubt it would be the main intent. Instant demos of all games would be huge.
Would it? It'd be cool, but they don't even mandate demos. This is for streaming full games to Morte/PS3/PS4 for a sub fee. Maybe ps+.

And IMO this is the first time Sony has shown any kind of "unique" vision in the console space for a long time. Don't know if I like the vision, but this isn't a power + inertia model.

Hmm streaming PS3 games to Vita - hell yes.

Streaming games to PS4 as next game console or even worse no next gen console - hell no.

Also there's third variant- streaming PS3 games to Sony TVs finally giving them unique feature to justify their prices.

Takuya

Banned
This is going to be their new initiative with their next line of smart-TVs. They're going to have all of them "PS3, PS4, etc."-"OnDemand" ready. All their media devices will be able to play the games, either onDemand (single payment type), or by subscription to SEN.

Will most likely also include some aspects into their next generation Playstation console, and ad functionality to their existing ones.

Kyuur

These game streaming services are plagued by so many issues though. I can't picture it going over well. If it's an alternative fine, but as an only option, no.

What better than the backing of a major gaming icon to help forward these services and help fix those issues?

Would be interesting if those with good internet connections could just not buy a PS4, and play PS4 games via their PS3s over whichever streaming service this turns out to be.

These game streaming services are plagued by so many issues though. I can't picture it going over well.

But the entertainment industry in it's entirety is going down the whole instant streaming route, you've got things like Spotify and Netflix in other sectors, I feel Sony is being quite clever by embracing this before MS/Nintendo because ultimately a streaming service will be the norm in future

Hydrargyrus

Yeah and its better they start it on the PS3 and iron out various problems so the PS4's experience can be better out the gate.

Yeah.
First trying with PS1 and PS2 games for PS3 and by the time of PS4, they could have the system a little polish

Tailzo

Would it? It'd be cool, but they don't even mandate demos. This is for streaming full games to Morte/PS3/PS4 for a sub fee. Maybe ps+.

And IMO this is the first time Sony has shown any kind of "unique" vision in the console space for a long time. Don't know if I like the vision, but this isn't a power + inertia model.
Is Morte a word for PSVita?

But the entertainment industry in it's entirety is going down the whole instant streaming route, you've got things like Spotify and Netflix in other sectors, I feel Sony is being quite clever by embracing this before MS/Nintendo because ultimately a streaming service will be the norm in future

But music/video streaming is very different than gaming.

Top Bottom