• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony close to agreeing cloud gaming acquisition

Carl

Or maybe they are aquiring Gaikai and are just going to go ahead and make PS1 and PS2 games available on all TVs anyway. That would be one hell of a way to make money :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't know if it's because I'm in Sweden or what, but staring a demo on Gaikai is taking fucking forever.

EDIT: Technical error, couldn't start the game, yay!

If you have Microsoft Security Essentials on, it won't run. Took me a while to figure that out too.

Withnail

I'll wait to see what the announcement is but if this is just another way of paying for Destruction Derby, MediEvil, Crash Bandicoot, and all those other shitty ancient first party games then this service is going to get off to a terrible start. The licensing issues preventing them selling the full back catalogue on PSN are not going to go away just because the games are streamed.

It does sound like they are introducing this now to eventually become the PS3 BC solution for PS4.

I wonder how these console games will work via streaming. Unlike running PC games, won't they need to invest in lots of custom hardware to actually run these console games natively? What about PS3 streaming? A server room full of PS3's?

PS1 and PS2 games are already being emulated on the PC. Sony could right custom emulators that work even better than the ones we already have. As far as PS3 is concerned, that will definately be a technical challenge so I doubt Sony would offer PS3 cloud games yet.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I need to see what third parties are on board before I'm excited about this. I'm really not ere for most of Sony's pre-PS3 first-party offerings. Now if it includes the Square Enix PS2 RPGs, and Xenosaga I-III, etc, then I'm excited, but yeah, not for the first party stuff.

Maybe that was my problem, I could not get it to work the other night on IE/Chrome/FF

Check your power settings. Make sure that your PC is not in power saving mode. It's in High Performance mode. Also, make sure that Java and Flash are updated to the latest versions. Clearing out your cookies sometimes helps. I also recommend using a wired connection.

I would imagine this is the grand plan, they are becoming more about content and services. Sony Entertainment Network and PS Certified are the first steps.

Their music unlimited is now on the iphone/ios. l was shocked when i saw it advertised in the whats new section on PS3.

Oppo

I'll wait to see what the announcement is but if this is just another way of paying for Destruction Derby, MediEvil, Crash Bandicoot, and all those other shitty ancient first party games

I will not sit idly by while you trash gems like Destruction Derby and Medievil. Those were awesome games, you ingrate.

macewank

So can someone explain why they assume this will work on Vita? I mean it makes sense but all I see is PS3, TV, tablets.

I think the assumption is that if Sony is going to dive head first into this kind of thing, they're going to make it work on their existing platforms. Would be the most epic of epic failures on Sony's part to make something like this work on phones/tablets but not work on a Vita.

HD remakes entail an incredible amount of resources to create. As a result, only a few games are worth it financially to redo. This will allow consumption of older games that wouldn't make money to get out to the masses. Big win if this rumor is true. Maybe just enough to save Sony next gen.

androvsky

So can someone explain why they assume this will work on Vita? I mean it makes sense but all I see is PS3, TV, tablets.

Blogs are probably just forgetting/ignoring the Vita, since most readers are likely to have at least one PS3, TV, or tablet, but not so much a Vita.

Yes, the Vita is designed to leave the house, so streaming isn't quite as useful for Vitas as it would be for the other devices (unless people take their tablets with them when they leave the house?). But it'd let Sony put every PS2 (and PS3?) game on the system with only the extra effort of porting the PS3's app, which would otherwise be nearly impossible.

So does this mean PS4 wouldn't need to be super duper ultra powerful and expensive if it's going to play games off a cloud based service?

Would it also allow Sony to offer a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee and have access to a large library of games? Something similar to Sega Channel?

Sorry, but I'm not too informed on this whole Cloud based gaming concept.

It would allow sony to potentially sell PS4 on Roku, Wii U, and Vita, and 720.

There is huge potential here, but I expect that competing companies may not allow it on their devices.

Top Bottom