• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony close to agreeing cloud gaming acquisition

I've always had doubts about those "100ms" values, so I just tried a first experiment to check it by myself.

I've used a video camera to take a short video of a Minna no Golf 5 swing on PS3, hammering my finger to increase precision on input measurement, then played it image by image. I'll check in details later, but the result on screen is in the NEXT image, so it's close to 30ms (will check the camera didn't skip an image, though, but I counted 45 images for around 1.5s, so I doubt it skips one image out of N...).

Nowhere near the 100ms I've also read elsewhere. Maybe if you use some games with a lot of internal lag, and TV set with a high lag. But it's nowhere near systematic (and it's the worse case since it's on the bottom of the screen which is as far as I know updated later than the top on LCD panels).

Factoring the ~15ms of the set according to trusted sources, pad input to HDMI must be close to the ~15ms required by the framerate. You can't get below far that (if Minna no Golf developpers are clever, they can read the input when the image is ready, though, and only paste the swing bar just before switching the buffers, that helps, I recon)...

Add a 15-40ms ping (that won't go anywhere close to 0 because of physical constraints like lightspeed) and the encoding/decoding and I failed to see how they could expect to get rid of the lag in any game. Of course, 20ms of lag if the TV&Game already account for 100ms of lag is not the same issue that 20ms of lag with a 30ms coming from the game and the set.

Will try in 60Hz as soon as I find some free time.

Digital Foundry already has done a tonne of work on this, including on cloud services.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive

theBishop

Banned
It's really odd to me that Sony would be acquiring a company rather than simply licensing their technology. Acquisition suggests a long-term strategy beyond making Remote Play work better for Vita.

But it's good to see Sony being proactive about stream-based gaming. In a few years, dedicated hardware will be a very tough sell.

theBishop

Banned
Tbh buying a cloud gaming company is a total waste of money. Cloud gaming can't deal with console install base numbers.

http://www.gaikai.com/#Client=true

Click on a game. You're playing a minute later. Yes, there's still a little latency (way less than you probably expect), and video compression still pales next to dedicated hardware. But home internet connections don't have to improve much for this to kick consoles in the balls.

And for gamers, the best part is developers can go as wild as they want with hardware requirements. On PC, Crytek limited their audience by going high-spec. On a streaming service, they'd draw more people.

Norml

Click on a game. You're playing a minute later. Yes, there's still a little latency (way less than you probably expect), and video compression still pales next to dedicated hardware. But home internet connections don't have to improve much for this to kick consoles in the balls.

And for gamers, the best part is developers can go as wild as they want with hardware requirements. On PC, Crytek limited their audience by going high-spec. On a streaming service, they'd draw more people.

I just tried this. Onlive UI blows it away,but I like the sound of how they deal with porting games.

Koren

Digital Foundry already has done a tonne of work on this, including on cloud services.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-gaikai-vs-onlive
Yes, I know.

Problem: I never truly believed in their numbers. I mean, their 100ms may very well be correct, assuming they use tricks like triple buffering and/or LCD sets with high input lag, but it's nowhere as bad as they make it sound with the right games and the right sets. How would you explain I get ~30ms input lag between button press and screen effect myself? I'll try to post a image-by-image sequence when I have some free time.

What I see in their tests is that the added lag is quite important, sometimes over 100ms. And since I can't stand lag (the non-game mode on my set up the lag from 15 to 30-35ms, and I really find it unplayable), this is definitively not for me and will never be, at least till lightspeed is no more a physical limit ^_^

Kafel

Banned
Since it doesn't seem to be Gaikai, maybe it's not OnLive either.

Are there other cloud gaming platforms ? I can see Sony buying a little company and make them grow with the Playstation brand.

Just tossing this out there for fun...

The twist is Gaikai is buying PlayStation.

SCE are not preparing for a cloud gaming acquisition, they are preparing to be acquired by a cloud gaming company.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's really odd to me that Sony would be acquiring a company rather than simply licensing their technology. Acquisition suggests a long-term strategy beyond making Remote Play work better for Vita.

But it's good to see Sony being proactive about stream-based gaming. In a few years, dedicated hardware will be a very tough sell.

Not to people that don't have the internet. Or to people with broadband with limits.

Wrong. Sony needs to be proactive instead of waiting for its competitors to move forward. This is a perfect opportunity for Sony to move first.

Come on... The technology isn't that hard to develop and the hardware easy to setup. Sony (and Ms) could easily do this themselves when the cloud gaming time has come. Right now, you would only buy such a company for the name or as an investment. Not like Sony has money to burn on exotic companies.

I just don't see Sony doing this... It would not be smart. oh well, maybe that is just why they might do it.

This cloud gaming rumor is probably about DD or about streaming between vita and ps3/4.

patsu

Since it doesn't seem to be Gaikai, maybe it's not OnLive either.

Are there other cloud gaming platforms ? I can see Sony buying a little company and make them grow with the Playstation brand.

What cloud gaming tech are they referring to ? I remember one of the Japanese game companies showcased game streaming a couple of years ago (when PS3 was first launched).

Come to think of it, Cellius also has a P2P-based Karaoke service out since last year.

Yeah... unless they have an established user base, or have some cool core technologies and want to follow up quickly.

Come on... The technology isn't that hard to develop and the hardware easy to setup. Sony (and Ms) could easily do this themselves when the cloud gaming time has come. Right now, you would only buy such a company for the name or as an investment. Not like Sony has money to burn on exotic companies.

I just don't see Sony doing this... It would not be smart. oh well, maybe that is just why they might do it.

This cloud gaming rumor is probably about DD or about streaming between vita and ps3/4.

Except the valuable part of these types of companies aren't the infrastructure but rather the patents.

Now that Gaikai announced a partnership with Samsung i doubt Sony is buying them... They could still be partners, but i don't see Sony buying them and then their service coming to Sammy Tvs...

thuway

I love how people here believe that the software used to make cloud gaming work optimally is something that requires zero investment, time, or research. If Sony were to to try and recreate Gaikai it would take at least five years.

isn't Gaikai everywhere? they are on Facebook and some electronic devices like Samsung..
if Sony bought them out would they continue to provide the services or limit it to Sony devices?

they can do a lot with Gaikai... provide games on your tv, tablet and smart phones, why would they need a PS4?

Now that Gaikai announced a partnership with Samsung i doubt Sony is buying them... They could still be partners, but i don't see Sony buying them and then their service coming to Sammy Tvs...

It depends what their plans would be. The Playstation Suite service will presumably be available on Samsung devices.

Gaikai is the new 3D0.. Sony and Samsung have taken the place of Panasonic and Sanyo.

Not sure who plays Trip Hawkins..

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So does this mean PS4 wouldn't need to be super duper ultra powerful and expensive if it's going to play games off a cloud based service?

Would it also allow Sony to offer a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee and have access to a large library of games? Something similar to Sega Channel?

Sorry, but I'm not too informed on this whole Cloud based gaming concept.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So does this mean PS4 wouldn't need to be super duper ultra powerful and expensive if it's going to play games off a cloud based service?

Would it also allow Sony to offer a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee and have access to a large library of games? Something similar to Sega Channel?

Sorry, but I'm not too informed on this whole Cloud based gaming concept.

I don't think the world is there yet for a cloud gaming console in this style, but yes essentially, they could offer a subscription to play games without the need for powerful hardware, but I don't think they will be that any time soon.

Sony probably shouldn't even make a next gen console, for their own well being

Isn't gaming one of the areas they are actually making money, if they don't make another console to compete with the WiiU and the next Xbox then they will get left behind.
What they need to do is not what they did with the PS3, most console makers are used to taking a hit at release but the PS3 was costly to make and took ages to trim down and make cheaper, if the PS4 is indeed more like a PC and less special parts then it should be easier for them.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What if Sony actually want it's PS brand on every electronic device? (not just sony device).

I would imagine this is the grand plan, they are becoming more about content and services. Sony Entertainment Network and PS Certified are the first steps.

Sony's rumoured cloud gaming deal with Gaikai is to allow current-generation hardware to play PlayStation 2 and PSone games via a streaming solution, GamesIndustry International understands.

According to sources, the service will offer first-party games and be open to third-party publishers to sell back catalogue to players. The partnership is likely to be announced at E3 next week as part of Sony's conference on Monday.

It's not yet clear which Sony devices beyond the PlayStation 3 would get a Gaikai-supported game streaming service, but it could extend to Sony branded TVs and tablets.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...compatibility-to-playstation-with-gaikai-deal

Slime

Banned
Kind of silly of them to not include PS3 games in the deal. Being able to play PS3 games on Vita through Gaikai would have been a decent selling point.

iceatcs

Kind of silly of them to not include PS3 games in the deal. Being able to play PS3 games on Vita through Gaikai would have been a decent selling point.
It will coming when they have move on to nextgen.

I bet many 3rd party will said fuck off.

Krabardaf

Not having a box is already annoying, so not owning anything is way beyond my acceptable limit.
I hope next gen won't be like that.

Edit : Should have read more before posting!

KageMaru

I imagine both MS and Sony may try out cloud gaming at the tail end of next Gen. This may be Sony trying to get a jump on the competition.

plainr_

I wonder how these console games will work via streaming. Unlike running PC games, won't they need to invest in lots of custom hardware to actually run these console games natively? What about PS3 streaming? A server room full of PS3's?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I wonder how these console games will work via streaming. Unlike running PC games, won't they need to invest in lots of custom hardware to actually run these console games natively? What about PS3 streaming? A server room full of PS3's?

sup

8-11-07-warhawk-servers.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PS2 and PS1 only ? ugh

well, it could be nice to play PS2 titles on Vita I guess.

Ps1&2 they can probably run via PC emulation, which would suit cloud gaming as its more scalable.nOS3 games would currently require the use of one PS3 per user so might not be scalable just yet.

But don't PS3s already play PSone games, and vita plays psp games, and psp can play PSone....so vita should also play PSone games without needing to stream them. And now there is this raft of HD remakes of PS2 games..

So where is the market for streaming them via the cloud? Unless its a cut price ps+ type of thing?

GopherD

Ps1&2 they can probably run via PC emulation, which would suit cloud gaming as its more scalable.nOS3 games would currently require the use of one PS3 per user so might not be scalable just yet.

But don't PS3s already play PSone games, and vita plays psp games, and psp can play PSone....so vita should also play PSone games without needing to stream them. And now there is this raft of HD remakes of PS2 games..

So where is the market for streaming them via the cloud? Unless its a cut price ps+ type of thing?

I would suggest Sony resources are starting to be stretched in porting PS2 titles over PSN. With Vita, and soon escalation to PS4, development occurring they are probably getting short of easy to port titles. With any luck PS2 streaming on Vita/PS3 will happen with this and they will use this system to branch out to PS3 BC for the PS4 in turn.

Yjynx

Isn't this the best solution.

PS3, Vita, TV, Phone, Tablet = PS2 PS1 games

when PS4 come out then they would provide PS3 games streaming as well.

Which means that PS4 architecture would include capabilities to stream PS3 games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Isn't this the best solution.

PS3, Vita, TV, Phone, Tablet = PS2 PS1 games

when PS4 come out then they would provide PS3 games streaming as well.

Which means that PS4 architecture would include capabilities to stream PS3 games.

Streaming PS4 software of one kind or another, in one model or another, seems more immediately possible than PS3 stuff tbh. PS3 might remain an 'odd man out' for a while.

I wonder if they would think about putting up PSP games on this thing too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Click on a game. You're playing a minute later.

I don't know if it's because I'm in Sweden or what, but staring a demo on Gaikai is taking fucking forever.

EDIT: Technical error, couldn't start the game, yay!

EDIT 2: Ok, worked now. The lag is noticeable for sure, but I wouldn't say it makes this specific game (Alan Wake) unplayable. Faster-paced games I would definitely not want to play like this, though. And the quality. Man, the quality. It's terrible. Looks worse than a 720p YouTube video. This needs to get a lot better before I would ever consider it a decent substitute for running my games locally.

Raoh

I was thinking that a sony insider spilled the beans too early on sony's plans.

Sony is in aggressive mode, fight or flight if you will.

It could have been that Gaikai had a partnership agreement in the works with sony, samsung and a few others.

After positive reception and possibilities, it is not out of the realm of possibility that sony then decided to make an acquisition offer and keep Gaikai for themselves, shutting out other partners or pulling a microsoft and allowing the deals to continue but everyone would pay sony a license fee.

Its no different to the company behind kinect. They were willing to work with any and all console manufacturers, ms just swooped in and bought them to keep it exclusive.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom