• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13 at 6 PM PT/ 9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Its incredible how Allan Becker really set Japan Studio straight since he got there in 2011. This year alone SCE JP (or SIE JP for people with no respect for heritage
s/
) they might ship

The Last Guardian (with Gen Design)
Gravity Rush 2 (internal Team Gravity)
The Tomorrow Children (with Q-games)
New Hot Shots Golf (with Clap Hands)
Playroom VR (internal)

The man does amazing work, should get more credit

It's a great lineup but this just happens to be the year where they reap the rewards for these games which have been in development for a few years (and in TLG's case more than a few years :p).
The big challenge is to create a development pipeline that allows them to release a continous flow a great games so that we don't have to wait an other 4 years to see the next round of big games from Japan Studio. That is much harder goal to achieve and we'll see what happens.

labaronx

October the last guardian
November gt sport
December the tomorrow children
February gravity rush 2
March mlb 17, god of war
April or May: Horizon

October the last guardian
November gt sport
December the tomorrow children
February gravity rush 2
March mlb 17, god of war
April or May: Horizon

Bend game fall 2017

No Idea about SP game though. If it's really a new Spiderman game I guess it will be close to the movie's release.

labaronx

Bend game fall 2017

No Idea about SP game though. If it's really a new Spiderman game I guess it will be close to the movie's release.

If it is a spidey game... it may not be a movie tie in but releasing it alongside the movie is the most logical move so may could be a possibility

Its incredible how Allan Becker really set Japan Studio straight since he got there in 2011. This year alone SCE JP (or SIE JP for people with no respect for heritage
s/
) they might ship

The Last Guardian (with Gen Design)
Gravity Rush 2 (internal Team Gravity)
The Tomorrow Children (with Q-games)
New Hot Shots Golf (with Clap Hands)
Playroom VR (internal)

The man does amazing work, should get more credit

All that and they still have time to work on V's rumored JRPG. Amazing studio indeed.

Zukkoyaki

I wish we knew more about the current structure of Studio Japan kind of like how we knew how Nintendo EAD was structured. It would give us a better idea of dev timelines for speculation purposes.

And since this thread is kind of going in circles without any new rumors, I'm going to speculate...

Last we heard is that Studio Japan is around 400 people... And assuming there is a legit structure to the studio... Keep in mind this 100% conjecture

(Team, current project, complete approximate guess as number of employees)

- Team Ico* - The Last Guardian - 50
- Team Gravity - Gravity Rush 2 - 100
- External Dev Group - Overseeing external projects - 30
- Tech Group - Playroom VR and tech demos - 30
- Mark Cerny's Team** - ?? - 20
- Administration/HR/Maintenance - 20
- AAA Dev team*** - AAA JRPG - 150

So that's ~ 400

*: Shu has said that The Last Guardian team isn't really that big
**: Mark Cerny has said that he's working on a new game with a smaller team
***: This is assuming everyone else in the studio is working on this hypothetical game. It's possible a lot are while the rest have another smaller game in the works

Thanks to anyone who reads this that I pulled from my ass lol

The thing I'm most excited for is that Spider-man game that might not even be real. Is that weird?

Nope. I think it'd be a total waste of a studio like Sucker Punch for them to be put on a licensed game. I'd rather get another, fully-fledged inFamous that continues from evil ending inFamous 2, or a brand new IP.

You know... It won't happen but Sony could easily just have a Japan Studio segment at E3 where they drop trailers and release dates for TLG, Gravity Rush, Tomorrow Children and Hot Shots, and then drop the supposed JRPG as a megaton.
image.php

The thing I'm most excited for is that Spider-man game that might not even be real. Is that weird?
Not at all. This is what E3 is all about! Just believe!

I wish we knew more about the current structure of Studio Japan kind of like how we knew how Nintendo EAD was structured. It would give us a better idea of dev timelines for speculation purposes.

And since this thread is kind of going in circles without any new rumors, I'm going to speculate...

Last we heard is that Studio Japan is around 400 people... And assuming there is a legit structure to the studio... Keep in mind this 100% conjecture

So that's ~ 400

***: This is assuming everyone else in the studio is working on this hypothetical game. It's possible a lot are while the rest have another smaller game in the works

Knack 2 made by 20 people? Must be some elite force then.

Lingitiz

So that's ~ 400

Speculation like this is always hard to make. Most studios have people and flow in and out of projects based on need, rather than having a hard set staff that sticks solely on one thing and never does anything else. I remember for a while where people thought Naughty Dog had two truly separate teams, when in reality it's more that leads are designated to work on different projects, and staff is allocated based on where that project is and how close it is to launch.

Zukkoyaki

Knack 2 made by 20 people? Must be some elite force then.
He has described his new game as an "indie" game of sorts which means it's fairly small in scale. I doubt it's Knack 2

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/11/ps4-lead-architect-mark-cerny-on-his-next-project-and-knack-2

Speculation like this is always hard to make. Most studios have people and flow in and out of projects based on need, rather than having a hard set staff that sticks solely on one thing and never does anything else. I remember for a while where people thought Naughty Dog had two truly separate teams, when in reality it's more that leads are designated to work on different projects, and staff is allocated based on where that project is and how close it is to launch.

You're 100% correct, but it's fun anyway ^_^

labaronx

I hate you all for making me think a sucker punch spider-man game is happening

Im sceptical of it happening myself and im expecting another infamous with some sort of multiplayer... still i say there is a 25% chance a deal could've been made between sony and disney so we'll see

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My predictions for release dates -

The Last Guardian - September 20th, 2016
No Man's Sky - October 2016...same day as PSVR
PlayStation Neo/4K/4.5 - October 2016...same day as PSVR
Dead Don't Ride - October 25th, 2016
Gran Turismo Sport - November 15th, 2016
Gravity Rush 2 - February 14th, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn - March 14th, 2017
God of War 4 - May 2nd, 2017

Not expecting any info, comments or mention of PS4 Neo until late September/early October. Really hoping for Horizon this year but it will get killed next to Gran Turismo so im expecting it to be delayed to March. Dead Don't Ride would be good for late October around Halloween if it's dealing with zombies or whatever. Gravity Rush 2 will copy the Re-mastered PS4 version that released this past February as any other time will see it get killed. Better off releasing it after the holidays and in what's usually a dead slow month. God of War 4 could be earlier but no reason to rush it or put it next to other games. Also gives SSM and Guerrilla extra time to fully implement the NEO capabilities and go all out for their respective games.

AntMurda

So that's ~ 400

That's definitely off, all those 400 people don't work on games. There is a large publishing / marketing group, hardware group, tools group, and even system software development group. Matter of fact, a lot of their games have contract and external staff.

Daft Punk

Banned
I'm curious to see what Sony peeps are thinking about all of these leaks from the MS camp and how it affects their plans going forward. Do you ignore them at your own peril or do you preemptively attack and keep the ball in your court?

"The apocolypse is good fun"

Oh man.. this gets me pretty hyped. Someone in this thread said they want it to be "Dead Rising meets Mad Max" and that would kick some ass for sure.
That is what it comes off to me as well. This won't be a gloomy apocalypse game where you are desperately trying to survive and maintain. This will be loud, daring and aggressive. Riding dirt bikes, yelling and screaming and kicking some ass.

AntMurda

The churned out Puppeteer and Rain in 2013 as well! They had their hands on Freedom Wars too. Quite a fantastic and swift turnaround after last gen which was remarkably discombobulated. Even then they still released Patapon, Locoroco and Siren: Blood Curse. Their talent pool was obvious.

We're seeing what a fantastic asset they are when functioning on a proper level.

Here's hoping that long rumoured JRPG finally surfaces!

You know... It won't happen but Sony could easily just have a Japan Studio segment at E3 where they drop trailers and release dates for TLG, Gravity Rush, Tomorrow Children and Hot Shots, and then drop the supposed JRPG as a megaton.

Why are you counting the external games? That's like saying Santa Monica studio develops 6 games every year.

I'm curious to see what Sony peeps are thinking about all of these leaks from the MS camp and how it affects their plans going forward. Do you ignore them at your own peril or do you preemptively attack and keep the ball in your court?

I don't think they'll be too concerned. Xbox would have to be relevant to international markets for that to happen.

I can't imagine their plans changing.

SNURB

The slimmer console leaks? I don't think it would hurt them, the PS4's doing wonders for Sony so I don't think they have nothing to lose unless they announce the NEO (or whatever it's called).

Elfstruck

The fake superhero game was done 4.5 times. Spiderman by SP would be glorious and possibly sell well

I'm sure they are devs out there could do a spidey game justice, not just SP. Why not let your first-party studio do something new? It's like asking ND to make a Marvel game, when they could come up with something new and interesting IP.

Pachimari

I'm sure they are devs out there could do a spidey game justice, not just SP. Why not let your first-party studio do something new? It's like asking ND to make a Marvel game, when they could come up with something new and interesting IP.

I would love for Naughty Dog to have done a Civil War tie-in game.

FelipeMGM

Why people think its impossible for a studio to want to work with already stablished IP?

Hennig left ND to make Star Wars games

Zukkoyaki

Why are you counting the external games? That's like saying Santa Monica studio develops 6 games every year.

Why not count them? They still have their hands on those games to the point where their logo is attached. Were they developed internally? No. Was Studio Japan involved? Yes.

Philippo

Might as well play the release date prediction game myself too:
A nice mix of 1st and (high caliber) 3rd party exclusives
The Last Guardian - September 2016
PSVR - October 2016
No Man's Sky - Either it's not delayed or it's a PSVR launch title
Dreams - PSVR Launch Title
PlayStation Neo/4K/4.5 - October 2016
but i really hope its early 2017
(NIOH - November 2016)
Gran Turismo Sport - November 15th, 2016
(Persona 5 - December 2016)
Gravity Rush 2 - February 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn - March 2017
Dead Don't Ride - Spring 2017
Detroit Become Human - Summer 2017
(Ni No Kuni 2 - Summer 2017)
God of War 4 - Fall 2017
(Final Fantasy VII Remake - November 2017)

Then for 2018+ other titles like Sucker Punch, Naughty Gods, Crash(?), Bloodborne 2(?), the teased JRPG(?).

18221787244_d8ac3f0c02_o.png

GOAT conference.

I remember when that image first started doing the rounds. The day before the presser I believe it was, although I could be wrong. Anyway, I looked at it and thought "nah, there's no way all that is going to happen." I figured TLG was a possibility, but the other two were pipe dreams. Man, what a rollercoaster the following day was.

Lucreto

I would consider a Sucker Punch Spiderman game a nightmare than a dream. It means I have to wait another 2 or so years for them to release something interesting.

I am not a fan of Spiderman but I love the Infamous games.

TheHater

I remember when that image first started doing the rounds. The day before the presser I believe it was, although I could be wrong. Anyway, I looked at it and thought "nah, there's no way all that is going to happen." I figured TLG was a possibility, but the other two were pipe dreams. Man, what a rollercoaster the following day was.
That was crazy times. Not sure Sony can top that. Hell not sure anyone can top that conference.

I would consider a Sucker Punch Spiderman game a nightmare than a dream. It means I have to wait another 2 or so years for them to release something interesting.

I am not a fan of Spiderman but I love the Infamous games.

I'd still play it, but i'd definitely be disappointed that they were working on it. I don't really like the idea of any of Sony's internal studios working on licensed IP's. It just seems like a waste of time and resources.

farisr

Dead Don't Ride would have to be something real special for me to consider it decent or interesting, as biker gangs, zombies, apocalypse are pretty much all turn offs for me. Mix that with Shu's one word description of the game, "panic." Yeah... it's pretty much shaping up to be a game that I'll have no interest in. I'll keep an open mind but I'm not anticipating its reveal though.

If it turns out to be all those things, and not interesting to me oh well, not all games will appeal to everyone anyways, great for those who enjoy those things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom