• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2017 Conference Thread [Over]

LaNaranja

Just saw the conference. That was kinda really really terrible. The preshow was exponentially better and actually showed games that were coming out this year. Not sure what the fuck Sony was thinking not putting them on the main stage.

Cold, impersonal, felt phoned in. Sony didn't show up.

I agree with this. Like fuck, even Bethesda at least put some effort into their "Bethesda Land" bumpers before and after each game. Sony just playing video after video with no commentary made it seem like they didn't give a shit.

border

Bethesda from this year? If I am remembering correctly, Pete Hines went on stage only twice. When the conference started and when it ended. The rest was that wacky Bethesdaland video playing. I most certainly wouldn't want that coming back.

I don't think any of what they had to show really necessitated a guided developer walkthrough. Almost everything Bethesda showed was a followup to previously established content. Somebody who played through Wolfenstein 1 doesn't really need to know what Wolfenstein 2 will be like.

Haha, i suggest people stop watching conferences.
Just watch topics and you'll have a far better E3. I'm seeing one amazing game after the other. Didn't watch the conference though.

I did watch Xbox conference and though that one was pretty focused on games and there were some great games.
Too few exclusives unfortunately.

Melchiah

Just saw the conference. That was kinda really really terrible. The preshow was exponentially better and actually showed games that were coming out this year. Not sure what the fuck Sony was thinking not putting them on the main stage.

What games were presented in the pre-show?

benzopil

If you look at their blog and how "fast" they uploaded videos on YouTube, they really didn't give a shit apparently.

I'm starting to really dislike their approach. Okay, you showed a Days Gone gameplay and what should we do about it? We don't even know if it will be released next year. Just a waste of time in my opinion. People will forget about it tomorrow.

They didn't show GT or other 2017 games but showed a long ass trailer of new Uncharted which will be released in two months and people already know about it. Once again waste of time.

If you don't have anything to show and decide to give us trailers for 2019 games, better show some fresh indies or whatever.

Loudninja

What games were presented in the pre-show?
This all the games they showed at E3 and the preshow.

PS4:
God of War
Knack 2
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds DLC
Detroit: Become Human
SpiderMan
Days Gone
Shadow of the Colossus*New*
Monster Hunter: World*New*
GT Sport
Everybody's Golf
Destiny 2
Crash Bandicoot
Matterfall
Tropico 6 *New*
Undertale *New*
Hidden Agenda *New*
Ni no Kuni II
Knowledge is Power*New*
Call of Duty

PSVR:
The Inpatient *New*
Skyrim VR*New*
Moss*New*
Bravo Team*New*
SUPERHOT VR*New*
Star Child*New*
SPARC*New*

Just saw it, it was ok, but nothing in there really blew me away.

Detroit looks incredible though, looking forward to that one to play with my wife. Other then that? Meh.

The FFXV fishing game was so random. If I had VR I would totally buy that lol.

Van Bur3n

I don't think any of what they had to show really necessitated a guided developer walkthrough. Almost everything Bethesda showed was a followup to previously established content. Somebody who played through Wolfenstein 1 doesn't really need to know what Wolfenstein 2 will be like.

Oh yeah, for this year's E3 I the amount of talking heads was appropriate for the amount that was shown (which was what was really questionable about the conference). I suppose I was taking your comment as something in general for E3.

Finally Sony decided to reel back on announcing games that are 2 or more years out. But if they don't do that their conference becomes mediocre at best.

People were blown away by last year's conference, but the games that blew you away haven't released yet aren't even expected to before next E3 other than GoW which if I recall correctly was announced at the PS event prior to the previous E3.

I fell asleep around midnight after the lager caught up with me. First time I haven't stayed up late to watch a Sony presser in about four or five years.

Very glad I got a good night's sleep instead of staying up - a solid yet bland showing. Nothing felt new, and the three games I really wanted to see - Death Stranding, TLOU2 and RDR2 were awol.

So far E3 has been a bit meh this year. The only real surprise is that it turns out I want the Mario/Proto-minions game.

Sony also has to spread themselves thinner now with their PSX conferences every year and this is the first time that's been apparent in an E3 showing.

weekev

Banned

PS4:
God of War
Knack 2
SpiderMan
Days Gone
GT Sport
Everybody’s Golf
Destiny 2
Crash Bandicoot
Matterfall
Tropico 6 *New*
Undertale *New*
Hidden Agenda *New*
Ni no Kuni II
Knowledge is Power*New*
Call of Duty

PSVR:
The Inpatient *New*
Skyrim VR*New*
Moss*New*
Bravo Team*New*
SUPERHOT VR*New*
Star Child*New*
SPARC*New*
What the fuck, Tropico 6, Underale and Ni No Kuni 2 should have made the main show. Also GT, Crash and everybody's Golf.

Melchiah

PS4:
God of War
Knack 2
SpiderMan
Days Gone
GT Sport
Everybody’s Golf
Destiny 2
Crash Bandicoot
Matterfall
Tropico 6 *New*
Undertale *New*
Hidden Agenda *New*
Ni no Kuni II
Knowledge is Power*New*
Call of Duty

PSVR:
The Inpatient *New*
Skyrim VR*New*
Moss*New*
Bravo Team*New*
SUPERHOT VR*New*
Star Child*New*
SPARC*New*

Thanks. It seems like I didn't miss anything of interest when it comes to the pre-show, since I saw Matterfall via Housemarque's newsletter.

Kanhir

I woke up at 3am for what was essentially a series of YouTube videos of games coming out sometime next year, with nothing of the games I was really excited about. What a waste.

And what's with God of War? It's not a GoW for me if I can't do stylish pirouettes with glowing blades of death.

(Spider-Man looks rad, though, hope they have a demo at gamescom.)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seeing Tropico 6 in a Sony (pre-)conference is... Weird.

I'd associate that game more with Xbox though.

Chrisdk

There are plenty of games that take good advantage of the pro already. And new games will do too.
That's the only difference the Pro and the Scorpio make. They make games run a bit prettier or a bit better.

MS had a pretty good show imo, with lots of games. But only two or three exclusives.

I'm not trying to win you over for the pro, i don't care what you buy. Just as long as you realize what both the Pro and the Scorpio do.

You are misunderstanding me. As i said i know what the Pro and X do. We are talking about the conference though and it didn't sell me on upgrading to the Pro. Upgrading to either console would mean doubling down on that platform and obviously mean buying multiplatform games there. Both consoles obviously makes the games look better and run better, so i'm looking at what else the offer. And getting back to my original post was my reaction to the Sony conference and how they didn't convince me i should upgrade to their console over Microsofts.

KZObsessed

I like how it was basically a Sony first party show with a few multiplats thrown in.

Yes there weren't many big surprises but the overall PS4 line up for this year, next year and beyond is so ridiculously insane.

Uncharted Lost Legacy
Horizon Frozen Wilds
Days Gone
Spiderman
God of War
Shadow of the Collosus
Gran Turismo Sport
Detroit Become Human
Hidden Agenda
Destiny 2
Monster Hunter Worlds (MH5)
Anthem
Ni No Kuni II
Dreams?

*breathes*

Dragon Quest XI
Kingdom Hearts III
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Shenmue III
The Last of Us II
Death Stranding
Suckered Punch New IP?

Plus a ton more as you know. I honestly can't imagine how the PS4s line up could realistically be any better

Kuraudo

Banned
Finally Sony decided to reel back on announcing games that are 2 or more years out. But if they don't do that their conference becomes mediocre at best.

People were blown away by last year's conference, but the games that blew you away haven't released yet aren't even expected to before next E3 other than GoW which if I recall correctly was announced at the PS event prior to the previous E3.

Resident Evil VII came out in January

Sky Chief

Trying to watch the conference but the only stream I can find is IGN on YouTube and the sound mix is all screwy and I can't hear the speaking in the trailers. Does anyone have a better stream?

Sjefen

No megatons for me personally but a solid conference with some awesome looking games. Seems to me Sony is saving alot for PSX this year. Seans TRUE exclusive comment made me chuckle.

High point: Spiderman game, looks AMAZING.

Best conference

SotC
Spiderman
GoW
Days Gone

All blew my mind.

Detroit looks interesting, but its pretty nuts how other games have surpassed it graphically when a few years ago it looked to be the forefront of it.

The VR stuff was a bit of a lull. It was nice to see the support is still there as VR is something I still want to get into.

lol at the audience. Man they did not look excited at all. When thats the case, they need to not focus the cameras on the audience. Thats just...weird. These people on their phones, picking their noses, etc. lol

Actually thought that was a solid showing. My only real complaint with it is that it relied too much on Cinematic games - i would have liked some more gameplay'y games in there. But has triple A gaming goes , sony have it on lock down next year again.

But man, gamers really do have developers/publushers wrapped round their finger.

Kuraudo

Banned
Disappointed Square Enix were completely absent apart from the VR thing. Shame Sony didn't get a hold of the Dissidia announcement and KH3 trailer--conference probably would have had a lot more impact for a lot of folks that way.

Jashobeam

I'm glad the big games they showed have a 2018 date, better to show games a year or less away, gives people something to look forward to in the not-so-long future. I don't really get the complaints of people wanting to see more from games that are coming out later this year, what's the point? you'll see tons of coverage in the weeks/months leading up to their release anyways.

Only real complaint I have is that they didn't announce any new games outside of Shadow of the Colossus remake, I'm assuming those games would probably be 2019 or later, so they can hold off for now.

HussiZooT

The conference showed a lot of games that we already knew about and no major surprises besides Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus.

And as others have pointed out, I did miss the talking in between of the trailers and gameplay demos. It gave the show a little life. What we saw was essentially a sizzle reel of game trailers edited together. Now it's not a bad thing but people could've just watched that from home rather than going to the conference itself.

But I can still forgive all of that. What I am majorly disappointed with is...

WHERE IS SUCKER PUNCH? WHY HAVE THEY BEEN SO RADIO SILENT SINCE ALMOST 3 YEARS NOW. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? SONY! PLEASE! GIVE US A HINT AT LEAST!

I'm expecting Sucker Punch to show up at PSX with TLoU2 gameplay as well. I'll change my name if it doesn't show up. Okay maybe not.

Melchiah

when they open a conference with a DLC you know something isn't good...

That was the star of the show for me, and what I'm the most excited about since Horizon Zero Dawn is my current GOTY.

EDIT: Forgot the show started with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, which is a stand alone game as it's already pointed out.

Some people expect some insane turn around for Sony studios I just don't get it.

Yeah, i get the feeling people are wanting/expecting waaay to much. Just enjoy what you do have, or is coming out, rather than wanting more. Which is impossible considering development conditions when making a game - most of multi year projects.

Floex

Just to echo everyone else, all a bit flat to me. Sony have a bunch of franchises right now that seem to have this earthy look to them. Horizon? Forest. Days Gone? Forest. GOW? Forest. Monster Hunter? Forest. Different games, sure but the pallet felt the same across the board.

That Detroit game, already you can see how badly that is going to play out. The voice acting 🤣

Spider-Man looked incredible though.

I don't care for it at all but still no GT? 😂 How does that team get away with it?

Suprised no Shenmue remake. The SOTC remake to me was a bit... odd? I don't know, were people asking for this?

Solid catalogue of games but shame there wasn't a couple of surprises. Atleast they didn't announcing games that weren't 5 years down the line. Yes, I'm looking at you RE2.

gogosox82

Disappointing conference. Best thing they showed was SOTC remake. Everything else was meh or I didn't give a shit about. Was expecting more from Sony.

You are misunderstanding me. As i said i know what the Pro and X do. We are talking about the conference though and it didn't sell me on upgrading to the Pro. Upgrading to either console would mean doubling down on that platform and obviously mean buying multiplatform games there. Both consoles obviously makes the games look better and run better, so i'm looking at what else the offer. And getting back to my original post was my reaction to the Sony conference and how they didn't convince me i should upgrade to their console over Microsofts.

I don't understand. But two consoles will give you more options. So go for it.

Dominator

Good show for me personally. I wasn't expecting anything insane and I got updates to a bunch of games I'm excited for.

Uncharted
God of War
Spider-Man
Days Gone
Detroit

All of those look fantastic and I can't wait for them. I also have a PSVR so some of those games looked appealing as well.

Plus I'm interested in that new Monster Hunter, and I'll be getting Call of Duty/Destiny this year.

SOTC was sweet to see as well, I'll definitely be getting that next year. So I was fulfilled.

le.phat

The conference had a lot of problems, but i'm still superstoked about the content. Spiderman, GoW, days gone, SOTC (!!!) all look absolutely fantastic and can go toe to toe with the best of E3 so far.

I'll give the conference an 8.
But i'm mega hyped for the content. MH is finally home!

Top Bottom