• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2017 Conference Thread [Over]

Floody

What does Sony have for the holidays? Detroit? Because besides that, they seem to have nothing at all regarding exclusives.

GT Sports, Ni No Kuni 2 and Knack 2 (well September). Uncharted Lost Legacy, Yakuza Kiwami and Everybody's Golf in August.
Edit:
I'm probably forgetting stuff too.
Either way they have more than everyone else and have already released more this year than anyone else will.

What does Sony have for the holidays? Detroit? Because besides that, they seem to have nothing at all regarding exclusives.

Why would they release their exclusives during this crowded period?

There's Destiny 2, SW Battlefront 2, CoD WWII, Assassin's Creed Origins, FIFA 18, and probably more that I don't remember.

Also, GT Sport will release this fall, along with Knack 2 this september.

Edit: oh yes, Ni No Kuni 2 too.

Thought the show was good after sleeping on it.

I got the games I wanted to see mostly and it was all games with little fluff talk.

The only thing missing was Sucker Punch new IP, was sure that would debut here.
Otherwise, after two years of dream like conferences this was a little more tame but it makes sense with Sony having blown their load in 15 and 16. I expect PSX to have a couple major announcements but overall I enjoyed it.

Spidey, Days Gone and GoW look incredible.

GT Sports, Ni No Kuni 2 and Knack 2 (well September). Uncharted Lost Legacy, Yakuza Kiwami and Everybody's Golf in August.
I'm probably forgetting stuff.
Either way they have more than everyone else and have already released more this year than anyone else will.

Horizon expansion as well.

Got a feeling everything shown in that conference will be out by the end of 2018, maybe Sony listened when people were asking them not to show games years away in development. I personally don't mind early teasers though

I could not stay up all night watching the conference, instead I have just watched all the videos/gameplay that was shown at the conference/pre show on youtube and I am very impressed.

Reading the last few pages of this thread it looks like avoiding the actual conference was the way to do it this year (in contrast to last year)

Sinfamy

Got a feeling everything shown in that conference will be out by the end of 2018, maybe Sony listened when people were asking them not to show games years away in development. I personally don't mind early teasers though
Me too, I don't see the hate for early announcements. Who cares if you can't play it now, at least you know what's in the future.

I'd take a Half-Life 3 announcement with a release date of 2025 if it meant it would come.

panda-zebra

Banned
Ill and medication meant I couldn't stay awake, was gutted but spent the morning watching the show and pre-show. Not quite the same when it isn't live, but great to see gameplay from some of the next big titles and the HZD expansion was a surprise for me (not sure if I should have been expecting it, if so the news missed me). Lots of meaty looking VR stuff very welcome, think it was 5 or 6 titles I scrawled down as things to look out for, boom. And Knack 2 in the preshow and the cerny interview with kieghley before that was great - fuck the haters, The Knackening is happening.

Sony always steps aside and let third parties have the holidays. Very smart imho.

It's not really going to look like stepping aside when their branding is going to be all over the big titles anyway, with bundles as well. Throwing their own stuff in there would be counter-productive.

Floody

I could not stay up all night watching the conference, instead I have just watched all the videos/gameplay that was shown at the conference/pre show on youtube and I am very impressed.

Reading the last few pages of this thread it looks like avoiding the actual conference was the way to do it this year (in contrast to last year)

Yeah, the pre-show was good, but the full conference was mediocre, almost no talking, dead crowd, weird pacing (lots of little pauses inbetween vids), bad camera (lot of cutting to the dead crowd) and technical issues for some kinda killed a lot of the enjoyment.

Elandyll

Banned
Edit:
I'm probably forgetting stuff too.
Hellblade (console exclusive) in early August, Horizon expansion some time after that.

I thought it was ok (still the best show overall). I liked the style of presentation as it kept to the games but I thought they lacked any real announcements, everything felt overly scripted and used the same methods of scripting for all games. Even though the game has little appeal to me I thought Sea of Theives at the MS show had one of the better demo's as the narrator imparted far more information and left very few questions for the viewer at the end. The VR segment was the more interesting to me and Supermassive have been putting in work on the system, if they are as fun as Rush of Blood they should be great. I really wanted a reveal on what From Software are working on as the rumours sound great. I also missed the indie spotlight as it gives the show great variety.

Acheteedo

Sony killed it, in my opinion, I'm happily buying an Xbox One X this year to get the most out of third party games, but Sony had the best exclusives and has PSVR. I guess that means I'm a happy Microsoft and Sony consumer. Microsoft will be taking most of my gaming money from here on out, but for them to win E3 they really need to wow me with some of their exclusives.

AndyVirus

Woke up. Saw it was just an hour long, worried. Starting with Indian music (obviously Lost Legacy), worried. Then watched 10 minutes of the twitch PlayStation VOD where the audio was screwed before changing and restarting. Sigh. So I wasn't in the best of moods from the off. And by the end my mood hadn't changed a great deal. 3 new VR games and 2 new non-VR, one of which is a remake, doesn't impress me. No From Soft, no Sucker Punch. And no major third party announcement. Nothing from Square Enix (I don't count FF15 fishing), WB or others.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Super disappointed none of the big games will be out this year, was hoping for at least one.

Thankfully destiny got exclusives stuff. Feels kinda weird Xbox is the place for 3rd party stuff now (if you get the x). Gonna be a light holiday for me on the PS4.

Why do I keep seeing people have a problem with 2018?

2017 already released.
Horizon
MLB
Nioh
Nier
Wipeout

Second half
Knack 2
Everybody's Golf
NiNoKuNi 2
Uncharted LL
Gran Turismo Sport
Crash Trilogy
Matterfall
Super Massive's game
Many VR titles

Just stuff I remember really, Sony does well leaving big Fall releases mostly to 3rd party, but still have a bunch of stuff releasing this year sprinkled in. I agree on the average/good grade for conference though. The games looked great, but its hard to top 2016 without a lot of new games announcements. This is all stuff we've seen. Thankfully, this is the year for Sony to have a somewhat by-the-books conference, it's when amazing games are actually coming out, so the hype level can be mediocre, 2018 should be hyped again with closing out the gen games.

AndyVirus

Honestly, I have no problem. I was just expecting a much more solid time frame. March for God of War instead of "early 2018", "2018" for Spider-Man when I was expecting "summer". God knows about the other two (Detroit/Days Gone).

Pranay

I can understand the complaints of wanting more, but I don't understand the complaints of the content shown.

Literally 3 conference before Sony, we barely saw a AAA single player game.

Most of the game ea, ubi and Ms showed was multi game.

It was great to see a lot of single player game in the conference

Auctopus

Crash, Everybody's Golf, Uncharted, Yakuza: Kiwami, Horizon DLC and Ni No Kuni is more than to be getting on with for the rest of the year.

That's not even mentioning 3rd Party and the games from Q1 sitting in my backlog.

Jesus, 2017 is madness.

sirronoh

2017 already released.
Horizon
MLB
Nioh
Nier
Wipeout

Second half
Knack 2
Everybody's Golf
NiNoKuNi 2
Uncharted LL
Gran Turismo Sport
Crash Trilogy
Matterfall
Super Massive's game
Many VR titles

Just stuff I remember really, Sony does well leaving big Fall releases mostly to 3rd party, but still have a bunch of stuff releasing this year sprinkled in. I agree on the average/good grade for conference though. The games looked great, but its hard to top 2016 without a lot of new games announcements. This is all stuff we've seen. Thankfully, this is the year for Sony to have a somewhat by-the-books conference, it's when amazing games are actually coming out, so the hype level can be mediocre, 2018 should be hyped again with closing out the gen games.

Yeah this is more than enough for me. God of War, Spiderman, and the other 2018 games will come when they're ready but if you own a PS4, there is a shit ton of games you'll be able to play between now and March 2018. Not only are we getting both expansions for Uncharted and Horizon, we're getting Gran Turismo, Ni No Kuni, Crash, Knack 2, Matterfall, Destiny 2, Star Wars, Shadow of War, Monster Hunter, Danganronpa 3, and every other third-party game coming out. Plus everyone has a backlog so I'd argue we have more than enough games to play on PS4 alone than we have time to play them.

grimmiq

How was the conference? Didn't get a chance to see it this year.

Solid showings by games that had already been announced. Monster Hunter seems divisive, some say megaton others disaster, other than that no huge new reveals. They seemed to focus on the people in the theatre, stream audience felt it was a bit impersonal lacked excitement. Overall, mediocre.

RSchmitz

From new games announced I´m excited about SotC remake, aside from that there was only VR stuff.

If you´d make a list about games announced this E3 it would be pretty big because of those Play Link and VR games, but I´m not playing any of that. I really wish Sony never got into VR, putting all their efforts in a single platform worked really well since PS4 launched.

jrDev

What did Sony show that's coming out this year? Every trailer I have looked at has a 2018 date...was there anything new?

Fergie

Banned
I'm guessing a lot of stuff will be shown at PSX. Maybe E3 is becoming a less of importance as PSX seems to be popular?

Aceofspades

Banned
How was the conference? Didn't get a chance to see it this year.

Showed Gamplay segments of GoW (amazing), Days Gone, Uncharted and Detroit.
Announced Horizon DLC, Shadow of the Colossus REMAKE (Megaton) Monster Hunter World.

Great VR support by showing 3 or 4 new games Skyrim among others.

Showed Spider Man gameplay.

It was a great conf. It just lacked surprises.

Top Bottom