• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Ericsson PSPhone

spwolf

Defuser said:
You can't compare the iphone and PSP,in fact iphone is slimer than PSP slim. It will be very bulky if they combine PSP tech with phone tech.

Although,a PSP phone wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Japan loves handheld & mobile phone, so PSP phone = win win win

PSP itself is bulky but phone tech is actually not at all. Only question is if they can scale down PSP hardware for the phone, and actually I am pretty sure they can - as Slim is already slimmer than many SE phones like K series and P series.

I love my iPhone for multimedia features and for "homebrew" software, I doubt Sony will ever make it so simple and so well done BUT phone wise, iphone is $10 phone. Every K and W series phone that i saw kick iPhones ass in actual phone features. Shit everything kics iPhone's ass in phone features.

batbeg

Twilight Princess said:
probability of existence : 35%?

It's just an article of things they think could happen in 2008, including a PSP Aibo or something. Nothing at all to suggest anything will happen but their intuition and guesswork.

Chris_C

I generally refuse to buy cell phones, but I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Especially if there were lots of old school 2D platformers.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Props to the artist behind this mock-up. That's light years away from the sort of crap Stuff and T3 are putting out there.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
look very sexy , and why not , Phone gaming is big now in japan , PSPhone that plays Mobile gaming and Sony's games will be better than Docomo cell phones

McLovin said:
It looks nice.. but I expect more from Sony.. why no touch screen? I don't like those number buttons :/

well , S-E K850 have Tilt motion , so if they make PSPphone then it should have Tilt as well .

at Official CES 2008 Sony has announced Sony Ericsson W760 first SE phone for games ( with slider handset and tile gaming controls )

sony-keynote-img_0467.jpg

so i think it's very possible to see PSphone from them soon

sakuragi

Banned
Totobeni said:
look very sexy , and why not , Phone gaming is big now in japan , PSPhone that plays Mobile gaming and Sony's games will be better than Docomo cell phones

well , S-E K850 have Tilt motion , so if they make PSPphone then it should have Tilt as well .

at Official CES 2008 Sony has announced Sony Ericsson W760 first SE phone for games ( with slider handset and tile gaming controls )

so i think it's very possible to see PSphone from them soon

Parasite eve, FF before crisis, and MGS mobile to be ported to the PSP phone confirmed.

I think it's bound to happen (especially the next-gen sony handheld), but I'm a little scared that everything gaming related would get compromised. The buttons, the for factor, the UI, ...

Not sure though, the PSP already is more or less an "all-in-one" device, only the phone is absent.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Not a bad mockup, but I think I'd prefer the mockup MassiveAttack posted earlier this week. Skip the keypad, go the iphone route and have touchscreen controls for all the basic phone features.

PSP Phone needs to happen sooner rather than later if only because it would force more of the game catalog to become downloadable.

spwolf

kaching said:
Not a bad mockup, but I think I'd prefer the mockup MassiveAttack posted earlier this week. Skip the keypad, go the iphone route and have touchscreen controls for all the basic phone features.

PSP Phone needs to happen sooner rather than later if only because it would force more of the game catalog to become downloadable.

i think this one is based on SE's patent filling... unlike the other one which was pure fantasy.

kbear

Even if fake, that looks great. The dual sliding design is the perfect way to trim down the size (nobody would buy a PSP-sized phone)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
spwolf said:
i think this one is based on SE's patent filling... unlike the other one which was pure fantasy.
Unless the patent was for the physical design itself (rather than the basic concept of a PSP Phone), then the depicted configurations of devices in patents are typically just suggested mockups themselves. Guaranteed SE would have numerous designs in the running and no doubt a design like the one MA posted would be in the running as well.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Seems like now probably isn't the best time to announce a PSP phone since the Xperia X1 is soon going to be on the market.
I don't think anyone's announcing anything, this conversation is just speculative. But what would the Xperia have to do with it? Sony has a lot of overlapping device designs across their divisions.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
kaching said:
Unless the patent was for the physical design itself (rather than the basic concept of a PSP Phone), then the depicted configurations of devices in patents are typically just suggested mockups themselves. Guaranteed SE would have numerous designs in the running and no doubt a design like the one MA posted would be in the running as well.

i don't think it's based on that patent
psp-phone.jpg

^ here rotate screen , the one in this thread uses slider ( like the new S-E W760 ) ,so it's also jusr a pure mock up

Acosta

It´a great mock up, that mag have a great graphic artist. I would be really surprised it it don´t happen at some point.

Seriously, soo sexy, what a great job, now I feel bad is not real. I would replace my Iphone for that at any moment.

Tobor

That's a horrible mock up in the OP. The shape buttons are on the thin piece of the slider and would be so awkward to hold properly.

And lol at the "this looks better than iPhone" comments. Not even in the same league.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Tobor said:
That's a horrible mock up in the OP. The shape buttons are on the thin piece of the slider and would be so awkward to hold properly.

And lol at the "this looks better than iPhone" comments. Not even in the same league.

it's not even official thing , anyway SE can make stuff that look better than iphone ya know , like SE's Xperia X1

se-xepria-x1.jpg

sony-ericsson-x1-1.jpg

Tobor

Totobeni said:
it's not even official thing , anyway SE can make stuff that look better than iphone ya know , like SE's Xperia X1

/sony-ericsson-x1-1.jpg

I saw the thread for that in the OT. Most of us agreed it was pretty, but Windows Mobile = fail. After using an iPhone for 6 months, it's going to have to take a pretty insane design to get me to switch. Unlikely.

I know the OP was a mock up, that's why I said it was a horrible mock up.

Adam Blue

Totobeni said:

se-xepria-x1.jpg

sony-ericsson-x1-1.jpg

This was actually made by HTC, to be branded under Sony Ericsson.

Kosma

Banned
Nothing really surprising if it ever comes, I was watching BBC before I went to work this morning and they where showing mobile phones that streamed 720p Movies to your HDTV without any hicups.

The future is now.

neptunes

Yes, Watch-impress would totally post doctored photographs on their website for no reason.

I know they're not photoshops, and they're obviously tech demos, but I want to know what event were these taken from.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
solid2snake said:
from photoshop.

MickeyKnox said:
Looks fake as hell.

:lol :lol :lol classic non believer gaffers ...love you guys

neptunes said:
Yes, Watch-impress would totally post doctored photographs on their website for no reason.

I know they're not photoshops, and they're obviously tech demos, but I want to know what event were these taken from.

these games run on NTT docomos Foma 905i and 705i ( very powerfull japanese phones most on Squre's mobile games run on these phones )

your photo from here ( it was Docomo big announcement for the two new phones with tonz of new games and stuff )
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071101/docomo.htm

docomo06.jpg

^D905i

docomo10.jpg

^SH905i (yeah right that DMC )

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I see a lot of cellphones now in that style (the whole slide up thing) but I can't stand it and wouldn't buy one like that. Flip or no sale. "/
Totobeni said:
:lol I'm sorry, that looks better than what now?

spwolf

Adam Blue said:
This was actually made by HTC, to be branded under Sony Ericsson.

ehm, produced by HTC, not designed, lol. Apple doesnt have single factory for iPhone production.

WTF?! I had no idea there was a DMC Mobile game! (Why does it look so much worse than all the other FOMA games though?)

Is that SMB a port of the DS one? (Looks identical in terms of graphics at least!)

neptunes said:
Where do these pics come from??

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071101/docomo05.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071101/docomo14.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071101/docomo15.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

These are NOT fakes. This is the Docomo P905i running Ridge Racer Mobile, shown at the World Mobile Congress trade show:

[IMG]http://www.mobile-review.com/exhibition/image/2008/2008-3gsm-ntt/pic96.jpg
pic102.jpg

I think it would be a cool concept for things like parasite eve and stuff if they came out over here to play them on that but other than that I don't like it. Especially the sliding bothways thing. I would be afraid to break it in half when pressing the x,o,square, and triangle buttons :/

Top Bottom