• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files trademark for "Resistance" in Europe

big_z

I really hope they let this series die, I rather they fund another handful of indie titles than make another mediocre shooter.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The premise was far more interesting to me than the final product. I'm open-minded for a re-boot, I hope they give it to another studio - Guerilla Cambridge, perhaps?

I agree. It was a great way to do a WWII themed shooter. And the art direction for the aliens was always really good.

Put the Killzone Mercenaries team on it though. Best FPS team Sony has in my opinion.

Elginer

After Resistance 3, which was amazing btw, I'd love a new Resistance on PS4. I know it's not happening but it would be nice.

tusken77

Oooh yeah, I approve of this. Resistance 3 was SO good.

thumb.gif

hmmmm, This is Sony's Bend Open World Horror Game, a Reboot of Resistance.

naaaah, it is probably not

I wish it was but why would the trademark be registered by SCEE when Bend is a US studio?

I'd also have no qualms about playing a third person Resistance. I think The Order is going to be mediocre and Sony still don't have a 4 person co-op campaign shooter. Take up where Retribution finished, in Russia fighting Chimera and Cloven.

I-hate-u

Resistance 3 was one of the two GOAT singleplayer FPS of PS3 era. I was so gutted that Insomniac left the franchise after they nailed it with 3. Please, come back Insomniac.

Massa

Yeah, Killzone is moderately successful by big-budget standards, but it has certainly never become the big success Sony would have liked or expected.

I don't think they ever expected more than it is, they barely promote the games. The latest one didn't even get a presence at their E3 conference in 2013.

What I like about Sony is that they sometimes excavate their old things and make them new again. Not sure, if that's the case here, but there is nothing impossible about that.

fvng

Ugh no more KillZone or resistance please. Neither of those became the Halo killer that Sony wanted and neither have really resonated with gamers

Harmen

It really is too bad it took Insomniac three entries to get to Resistance 3. If the series had such quality from the begininning and built further on that, there would be a lot of more hype and sales I think (especially 2 ruined it). The game was not perfect, but there are moments Resistance 3 really shines.

(I agree with Killzone though. Only the second one was really great. The other entries are not bad, but not great either. I'd rather see Guerilla trying on something new).

Caronte

Ugh, god no. Why would Sony do that when they've got a few successful TPS series, and they've never really had much success on the FPS side?!

Precisely because of that. The FPS crowd is mostly on PC and Xbox, making it a TPS would give it more chances to be succesful IMO.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For some reason, I'm thinking its a collection/remaster.

Nothing would thrill me more. This was honestly one of my favorite series on PS3 and would be thrilled to play it in 1080p/60fps.

Sony please make this happen!

Just add a weapon wheel to Resistance 2 and it will be an awesome trilogy.

2thepoint

I actually liked 2, except for the ending.

I'd love a remastered collection and would spontaneously combust for a sequel.

Sounds like the don't want to let the brand go in case of future games rather than an actual game being in the works.
Yup. Who would even develop it right now? Insomniac has made it clear they're done with the franchise for the foreseeable future. Bend is making that open world horror game, Cambridge is almost certainly making the next Killzone. What third party would make sense to farm it out to? I can't think of anyone.

People saying a collection could be right, though. I'd be ok with that, I never played 2 or 3.

They both need to go. Those brands are solidified as middling in the collective gaming consciousness.
Except Killzone consistently sells a couple million copies every time, so...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This is just weird, if Sony want more Resistance games for some reasons they should try to look for a new developer this time, like someone who really good with first person shooter like 4A Games or Starbreeze/Overkill or maybe go for Bethesda and their MachineGames studio.

I-hate-u

This is just weird, if Sony want more Resistance games for some reasons they should try to look for a new developer this time, like someone who really good with first person shooter like 4A Games or Starbreeze/Overkill or maybe go for Bethesda and their MachineGames studio.

Insomniac doesn't want to work on Resistance that bad?

Cornbread78

I know this is just a IP renewal, however.

If Bungie had a second team, I'd love for them to develope the next resistance and get a glimpse of the Chimera homeland somehow. The shooting mechanics in Destiny feel really good and it would work with the Sci-Fi nature of Halo and/or Destiny. I know it would never happen, but still would be a good match.

If it goes to a Sony Studio, I would say let the second team at Guerilla do it. They could add their own flair to the series and go back and forth between Resistance and Killzone.

Yeah, they openly stated they were completely done with it....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/27/update-insomniac-is-finished-with-resistance

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Don't know if Insomniac want to make more of them or not, but I think it's time for a new developer for the series if sony is thinking about new game (I just don't see Insomniac offering anything new here)

injurai

Banned
The premise was far more interesting to me than the final product. I'm open-minded for a re-boot, I hope they give it to another studio - Guerilla Cambridge, perhaps?

Have insomniac write the specs for the weapons and do pre-dev. Let Guerilla handle the rest.

Unfortunately a couple million is not very good for a AAA shooter.
That's straight bullshit. The games turn a hefty profit. CoD is not the threshold for success on a AAA shooter, it's a crazy outlier. Sony's games are typically expected to sell 2-4 million. They have much lower production costs compared to other big companies. Sony obviously thinks it's good, because they keep making them and then talking about how it's so great how much they sell.

And thank Shu. I love Killzone. Can't wait to see Cambridge improve the franchise.

Resistance Retribution 2 that we never got, open world set in Moscow, free roaming exodus of Chimera and Cloven *_* gimme!
Add to that 'Resistance Camps' like HUB levels, Rescuing other resistance members and doing sabotage operations as side missions, oh gimme gimme.
Hope: They retcon Resistance 2 and 3, and follow up R:FOM with a direct sequel set in Britain again with the same atmosphere and style.

Reality: Protecting their intellectual property.
I personally like R2 despite its flaws, one of the coolest things I liked about it is the boss battles, I hope whenever Resistance returns, boss battles comes in numbers.

Otherwise yeah I agree the setting of Britain was pretty cool, and the atmosphere of R1 remains so special.
I wish it was but why would the trademark be registered by SCEE when Bend is a US studio?

I'd also have no qualms about playing a third person Resistance. I think The Order is going to be mediocre and Sony still don't have a 4 person co-op campaign shooter. Take up where Retribution finished, in Russia fighting Chimera and Cloven.
Good point, but hey Sony's Bend is a small studio who is hiring, so maybe SCEE is helping them ?, just to fuel speculation, though I very much doubt Sony's Bend is doing it, they are most likely doing their own IP.

As for The Order 1886 I'm pretty excited about it, It is not every day that we get to kill some werewolves, probably the next Order will have a 4 person co-op for sure, hey maybe RAD will experiment with it as a DLC.

Servbot24

Banned
That's straight bullshit. The games turn a hefty profit. CoD is not the threshold for success on a AAA shooter, it's a crazy outlier. Sony's games are typically expected to sell 2-4 million. They have much lower production costs compared to other big companies. Sony obviously thinks it's good, because they keep making them and then talking about how it's so great how much they sell.

And thank Shu. I love Killzone. Can't wait to see Cambridge improve the franchise.

But why would they continue making a 2mil~ game when they could take a chance on a new franchise? Killzone and Resistance have no way to enter the hype machine. It's just never going to happen. A new franchise has a much better chance at igniting excitement.

But why would they continue making a 2mil~ game when they could take a chance on a new franchise? Killzone and Resistance have no way to enter the hype machine. It's just never going to happen. A new franchise has a much better chance at igniting excitement.

Because GG wanted to keep making Killzone?

At the end of the day, the desire to make a new IP/franchise needs to strongly come from within the studio. And even then. it's fair to say that a lot of the most passionate works of new IPs take a long time to materialise.

GG's new IP is in the oven for more than 3 years now, and it's looking to be 4 years by the time it's released. The Order took almost 5 years. MM's new IP is now almost 5 years in the making, and it's almost surely going to be 6 years by the time it's out.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Underachieving series that had great, yet unrealized potential. Give it to someone else and reboot it, or reinvent the series. I'll be down for that.

HYPE

RFOM was my first console FPS Online experience.

Not going to get my hopes up though.

Who knows? Could be a small downloadable title, or it could be some ADS-kill streak mess.

MikeyB

I really really liked Resistance and would buy a new one for sure. Same with Killzone. Shadowfall's multiplayer is a blast and still busy.

Top Bottom