• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q2: 3.3M PS4, 0.8M PS3, 0.7M PSV/TV shipped

So until September, they've probably sold about 12.5-13 million copies then? Damn... If Sony drops the price by 50$ in the next 2 weeks, they're going to make a ton of money. Really surprised they haven't responded to MS's awesome price cut deal, though I have a feeling a bit of the company being tight on money and the other being Sony being arrogant as hell may have something to do with this.

Where do you see them being 'arrogant as hell'?

Sony suits admit that they did not expect the huge reception for the PS4, don't know why it's so wildy successful, and not understanding it's success scares them, but they're arrogant as hell?

"Arrogant" and "Sony" will ever be wed, I guess. There's just some stink you can't wash off.

liger05

But the price of PS4 is expensive to Wii and also people who bought PS4 are not casuals like Wii for motion controls. So, PS4 did great with its 400$ price tag.

True but Nintendo could of sold the Wii for $400 and that still would off flew of the shelves. That demand was insane.

BadWolf

True but Nintendo could of sold the Wii for $400 and that still would off flew of the shelves. That demand was insane.

Highly doubt that.

$250 is within the impulse buy range, $400 is not.

Those of you expecting a price drop soon will be disappointed, to be honest if I were in there position I wouldn't yet, they need every dime they can get and demand is still high. I expect next year they won't drop the price but make a new sku with a 1TB HDD and a couple of bundled games, maybe throw in an additional 3 months for those who buy PlayStation Plus next year aswell. No price cut till spring 2016 at the earliest depending on demand, just add value, 2015 is just jammed packed full of games.

A $100 price drop next year would be in line with PS2 and make sense.

At this point it isn't about winning the console war (it's already over) but selling as many consoles, and as a result software, as possible.

The price drop would not only maintain the momentum but increase it and also help in regions where it's not doing well like Japan.

chithanh

Banned
Sony suits admit that they did not expect the huge reception for the PS4, don't know why it's so wildy successful, and not understanding it's success scares them, but they're arrogant as hell?
Of course. Sony is arrogant because they did not accept the [thread=878309]dozens of perfectly plausible explanations[/thread] from NeoGAF why the PS4 sold so well.
j/k

These numbers really surprise me, I remember people saying Sony would end 2014 with 15M and I didn't think it would happen. But they're clearly on track to blow past that number...

Those of you expecting a price drop soon will be disappointed, to be honest if I were in there position I wouldn't yet, they need every dime they can get and demand is still high. I expect next year they won't drop the price but make a new sku with a 1TB HDD and a couple of bundled games, maybe throw in an additional 3 months for those who buy PlayStation Plus next year aswell. No price cut till spring 2016 at the earliest depending on demand, just add value, 2015 is just jammed packed full of games.

Yeah, I think this is right. I don't think Sony will drop the price, they're still selling well at the current price. If there was a huge slowdown in sales after the X1 price drop they might, but I kind of doubt that happened. I'm sure the drop helped the X1 but I think the market is big enough right now, and there were enough people waiting on pulling the trigger for the X1, that PS4 sales aren't slowing down. X1 isn't going to catch up this year and Sony knows it, so they're not going to drop the price.

Going into 2015 is another story though. I doubt that what has been announced are the only deals MS has planned. If MS can build enough momentum over the holidays they can make Sony nervous heading into the new year.

StevieP

Banned
Highly doubt that.

A $100 price drop would be in line with PS2 and make sense.

At this point it isn't about winning the console war (it's already over) but selling as many consoles, and as a result software, as possible.

The price drop would not only maintain the momentum but increase it and also help in regions where it's not doing well like Japan.

There were plenty of Wii's sold for vastly higher than 250 (or even 400). And you're expecting a 100 dollar price drop on the ps4? lol good luck with that. Sony's kinda not into the razor blade/printer model anymore

BadWolf

There were plenty of Wii's sold for vastly higher than 250 (or even 400). And you're expecting a 100 dollar price drop on the ps4? lol good luck with that. Sony's kinda not into the razor blade/printer model anymore

So what? The PS3 was also selling for dumb prices on ebay.

And yes, a $100 price drop next year would match the PS2's time line for a $100 price cut.

As a sidenote I still think that even their new increased forecast for gaming division profits is down playing it. They have already made 237 million profit during first two quarters and they only expect total profits of 316 million for the division for the fiscal year with two quarters left ? (not to mention next quarter is holiday season). I really don't see how they would make under 100 million with holiday quarter and game wise stacked Q4. Going to be easily over 500 million for the fiscal year. Personally I could see even almost a billion. 500 million for Q3 and another 200 million for Q4 (about the same as this Q)

But Wii was also 150$ cheaper. PS4 was "only" supply constrained about 6 months.

I dont think its a fair comparision anyway.

The Wii was $150 cheaper.

But the price of PS4 is expensive to Wii and also people who bought PS4 are not casuals like Wii for motion controls. So, PS4 did great with its 400$ price tag.

Highly doubt that.

All this tells me is that both consoles are correctly priced for the value they offer, not that the price is the reason one sold better than the other. Both target different markets, after all; it's not like Wii was selling to the same people that PS4 was selling to. The questions are now:

- How well will PS4 value hold up over time? (Wii was supply constrained for more than two years in the U.S. and did not see a price drop until 2009.)
- How large is the PS4 market relative to the Wii (or PS2+Xbox/PS3+360) audience)?
- Will PS4 (and Xbox One) drive software growth, or see software stagnation?

So what? The PS3 was also selling for dumb prices on ebay.

And yes, a $100 price drop next year would match the PS2's time line for a $100 price cut.

I´m with you. If the price drop comes too late, they may make things more difficult for themselves instead of making them easier.

The PS2 is the best example of how to do things well. Never let the demand drop off, keep the momentum going as long as you can. Get as much market share as possible as early as possible so the snow ball effect continues.

TheTwelve

No need for pricedrop, even if X1 manages to win the holidays (highly doubtful, only in America and if so barely).

PS4 should dominate 2015 no matter what happens and at the same pricepoint so they're not going to flip the ship over one month.

Sony isn't about to reduce the effect of their only moneycow right now.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
PS4 13.5 million
Wii 13.17 million

Shipment at the same point.

Wii 20.13 million by December.

Might make a chart later.

holy shit, is that accurate?

the ps4 is more popular than the wii and this is the first time we are hearing about it. From a poster on neogaf, not even the major news outlets? has anyone reported this specifically?

DBT85

the ps4 is more popular than the wii and this is the first time we are hearing about it. From a poster on neogaf, not even the major news outlets? has anyone reported this specifically?

Well you shouldn't read too much in to that.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Well you shouldn't read too much in to that.

i just remember the wii being championed a lot in the mainstream, even though it isn't necessarily the same deal since it brought a new idea/casual idea to the table.

I try not to, but i guess i am a little paranoid to think that the ps4's success has been underplayed a bit.

TheTwelve

I try not to, but i guess i am a little paranoid to think that the ps4's success has been underplayed a bit.

It absolutely has.

But I think it is the case of PS4 acting according to expectations while the Wii was the sweet and warm underdog story. Media loves underdog stories but they are not so keen on big companies doing what big companies do.

Wii demand was insane because it sold to casuals more than gamers, but people who bought PS4 are not those casuals. Also people not going to pay for the device not worth of 400$ (few may be but it will not give same sales).

i just remember the wii being championed a lot in the mainstream, even though it isn't necessarily the same deal since it brought a new idea/casual idea to the table.

He is joking!
"don't read too much in to that"
is a meme on GAF.

Kill3r7

It absolutely has.

But I think it is the case of PS4 acting according to expectations while the Wii was the sweet and warm underdog story. Media loves underdog stories but they are not so keen on big companies doing what big companies do.

I'm not sure that's the case exactly. The Wii reached a completely different demographic of consumers. The media took notice of folks posting videos of their parents and grandparents playing Wii Sports. It became the IT item to have that holiday season. Totally different phenomenon than what's happening with PS4. That's not to say that what PS4 is doing is not phenomenal.

Wynnebeck

Banned

LOL It definitely wouldn't have. $250 hit that magical sweet spot between 'too expensive' and 'gotta have it now'. When you combine that with the allure of motion controls, you see why the Wii was so popular compared to 360 and PS3 which were lumbering giants with heavy pricetags.

Also, anyone expecting a pricedrop anytime soon is crazy. Sony is finally in a place where they can make money and not have to lose out to make it popular. Expect bundles, but not cuts.

Elios83

As a sidenote I still think that even their new increased forecast for gaming division profits is down playing it. They have already made 237 million profit during first two quarters and they only expect total profits of 316 million for the division for the fiscal year with two quarters left ? (not to mention next quarter is holiday season). I really don't see how they would make under 100 million with holiday quarter and game wise stacked Q4. Going to be easily over 500 million for the fiscal year. Personally I could see even almost a billion. 500 million for Q3 and another 200 million for Q4 (about the same as this Q)

They explained it's a very conservative profit forecast.
They will revise it if Q4 sales go really well as they expect.

Btw great performance for the PS4.
I'm also kinda surprised that PS3 and Vita are doing similar numbers worldwide. Guess that the Vita advantage in Japan offset better PS3 sales in western countries.

Mrbob

It is keeping up with the WIi right now but will fall behind in the next year when Wii sold 25 million. Wii had a 3 year run which won't be beat. The biggest benefit the PS4 should have is longevity. The PS4 should stay relevant and sell well in the time frame when the Wii fell off a cliff.

700k vita and vita tv's isn't as bad as I thought. That's like 233k a month. That may just be the pstv launch hype though.

Ummm these numbers are from q2 so its July-September? That means it doesnt include PSTV numbers from west. Vita going to rise :D
a little
maybe
sort of
hopefully.

Oh I think PSTV will have another minor niche market. I remember people wanting a cheap place to play old PS1 games. It may also get boost if PSNow gets much better. Its definately going help Vita to get more sales. Personally, I see PSTV as an alternal PSV. They are included in shipments, so I think its fair to combine PSV/PSTV sales.

...Oh and PSHandhelds still shipped more than Wii U.
On another Mario Kart quarter
Hmm

A_Gorilla

Banned

Hell no. Price was HUGE factor in the Wii's success. Or do you really think all those old folks and middle aged couples would have bought the Wii at $400?

TomShoe

Banned
I doubt Sony will drop the price for the holidays like MS. Excessive sales can condition the consumer to think, "I'll just wait until the next sale." XBO sales might stagnate after the holidays, even if they do win November/December.

Hell no. Price was HUGE factor in the Wii's success. Or do you really think all those old folks and middle aged couples would have bought the Wii at $400?

People just forget that the Wii was impossible to find in shops for like the first year of its existence? Or those "Nintendo are withholding stock to artificially create demand" posts?
It was a hugely desirable product, that regularly made scalpers money reselling at a higher price. It is extremely difficult to argue that Nintendo couldn't have launched at a higher price and still sold every unit they shipped just as quickly without completely ignoring the reality of how it was actually selling when it was released.

Biker19

Banned
The gaming division is simply not enough to save Sony as a whole.

That being said the gaming division is performing pretty fantastic. I would love to see Sony spin off / sell PlayStation as its own division.

You really think that Sony's depending on their gaming division to "save them as a whole?" Especially considering that gaming itself is small fry & makes fuck-all in terms of money?

Come on with that.

Wasn't the Wii supply constrained

The Wii was supply constrained (and if rumors are to be believed, it was artificially supply constrained by Nintendo to create demand). But so was the PS4. It was impossible to get a PS4 for several months after launch last year.

People just forget that the Wii was impossible to find in shops for like the first year of its existence? Or those "Nintendo are withholding stock to artificially create demand" posts?
It was a hugely desirable product, that regularly made scalpers money reselling at a higher price. It is extremely difficult to argue that Nintendo couldn't have launched at a higher price and still sold every unit they shipped just as quickly without completely ignoring the reality of how it was actually selling when it was released.

And one of the reasons for that insane demand was the low, low price.

RibMan

The PS4 is doing remarkably well. We haven't heard from Mark Cerny in a while, but I imagine he must be pleased that his design decisions are being supported by the market.

It's kinda funny how that was from Ars Technica, the same site who published an article just a few days ago comparing the best case scenario for the X1 against their take on PS4's worst estimate.

It goes to show how important your staff is to your business. If you have an uninformed and incompetent staff, your business's reputation will be impacted in a negative way. There's no way around it. This is why it's important to have business-literate people in a non-business establishment. You need people who understand how things work from a market perspective in order to present business-focused content.

Biker19

Banned
PS4 seems like the only current gen console doing well in PAL region, shipping like 2M there per quarter. For comparison Wii U shipped 150k only there last quarter. No idea about XB1 but shouldn't be much.

PAL market gonna contract big time this gen. Last gen we had the Wii, 360 and the PS3 all selling 40m+ in PAL region, this time it seems like PS4 will be the only system to sell that much this gen.

This. And it's both Nintendo's & Microsoft's fault. Nintendo fumbled up with their advertising & everything else with Wii U, & Microsoft fumbled up by treating non-americans like second class citizens by hugely advertising their console as an American-centric console along with the webcam watching/NSA scandal.

As a result, almost no one outside of the U.S. cares about either Wii U or Xbox One at all while they're buying up PS4's. This gen is like, Gamecube/Original Xbox/PS2 lite.

TheTwelve

I'm not sure that's the case exactly. The Wii reached a completely different demographic of consumers. The media took notice of folks posting videos of their parents and grandparents playing Wii Sports. It became the IT item to have that holiday season. Totally different phenomenon than what's happening with PS4. That's not to say that what PS4 is doing is not phenomenal.

True, true, not false.

If only that same Wii demographic stayed on board, eh.

BKK

Japan will come around next year further increasing the ww gap. PS3 is looking more and more like it's done. Doubt it will even reach ps1 numbers.

Right, that's my take on this, PS3 sales have collapsed. It will struggle to crawl to 90m, next quarter will be the last quarter of significant sales for PS3. It also seems to stilll be neck and neck with X360, so close that we still can't call which one is ahead. I once expected X360 to end up ~90m, with PS3 ~100m, with a chance to pass PS1 &/or Wii, but that isn't happening now. Economies of scale mean no more price drops on PS3's non-standard architecture are viable, whilst PS4's standard architecture will allow continuous rapid price drops. After PS4's first price drop PS3 will no longer be competetively priced against PS4 and will have to be discontinued. I guess that will also have the added benefit of diverting a percentage of those small PS3 sales towards PS4.

As for XB1 price drop, Sony will need to counter that in US & UK at least if they want to continue to convert current Xbox Live Gold subscribers to PS Plus at the current rate. A price drop would also help them at the beginning of 2015 in Japan to coincide with Japan-centric titles releasing then. After a year of component price reductions they should be able to reduce PS4 price by $50 without losing a lot or anything on hardware, which is the strategy they so successfully used with PS1 & PS2.

Elios83

MS is doing what it's doing because of desperation.

Sony has no reason to respond, it's console is selling like hot cakes and should pull crazy numbers during the holidays.

A price drop is a very important card and there is no reason to just waste it if there is no need.

In fact there's absolutely no reason for a price drop.
But in the US competition is stronger and bundles with key games at 399$ should be considered (and I guess are indeed planned) for the latter half of November and December.

labaronx

We will probably get a ps4 numbers update during ps experience which is post black Friday.

Im guessing 17.6 million sold to customers by then

Biker19

Banned
Right, that's my take on this, PS3 sales have collapsed. It will struggle to crawl to 90m, next quarter will be the last quarter of significant sales for PS3. It also seems to stilll be neck and neck with X360, so close that we still can't call which one is ahead. I once expected X360 to end up ~90m, with PS3 ~100m, with a chance to pass PS1 &/or Wii, but that isn't happening now. Economies of scale mean no more price drops on PS3's non-standard architecture are viable, whilst PS4's standard architecture will allow continuous rapid price drops. After PS4's first price drop PS3 will no longer be competetively priced against PS4 and will have to be discontinued. I guess that will also have the added benefit of diverting a percentage of those small PS3 sales towards PS4.

As for XB1 price drop, Sony will need to counter that in US & UK at least if they want to continue to convert current Xbox Live Gold subscribers to PS Plus at the current rate. A price drop would also help them at the beginning of 2015 in Japan to coincide with Japan-centric titles releasing then. After a year of component price reductions they should be able to reduce PS4 price by $50 without losing a lot or anything on hardware, which is the strategy they so successfully used with PS1 & PS2.

Sony doesn't have to lower the price at all because of Microsoft's desperation. All they would have to do, is bundle the PS4 with GTA V for NA & the UK like they're doing in the PAL region at the same price tag, & boom, more huge sales for PS4 will take off.

badb0y

It would have sold decently but not as crazy as it was at $250 price point. Basic economics dictates price and demand have an inverse relationship if supply is constant.

BKK

Sony doesn't have to lower the price at all because of Microsoft's desperation. All they would have to do, is bundle the PS4 with GTA V like they're doing in the PAL region at the same price tag, & boom, more huge sales for PS4 will take off.

If they don't have the manufacturing capacity sure, but if they do then they should increase the installed base as fast as financially possible, just as they did with PS1 and PS2. Hardware should be profit neutral, and reductions in hardware manufacturing should be passed on to the consumer as soon as possible. In the past that resulted in increased software revenues where the real money was made, but now it has the additional benefit of increased platform subsriptions (Xbox regularly took $1B/year for Live).

Ricky_R

8hptove.gif

Sony's so good at making hardware that they actually managed to make the PS4 print money through usb slots. GODDAMN!

orochi91

How will a price-cut work?

I expect a price-cut to $299 when they reveal the PS4 slim, but that can't be a possibility till at least 2016.

They'll probably still sell it at $399 holiday 2015.

Wynnebeck

Banned
As a result, almost no one outside of the U.S. cares about either Wii U or Xbox One at all while they're buying up PS4's. This gen is like, Gamecube/Original Xbox/PS2 lite.

Real talk, the writing is on the wall and I have been telling people this ever since January. We're looking at potentially a PS2-esque generation where sales swing towards Sony invariably leading to developers providing more games for PS4 and less for Xbone and Wii U.

orochi91

Real talk, the writing is on the wall and I have been telling people this ever since January. We're looking at potentially a PS2-esque generation where sales swing towards Sony invariably leading to developers providing more games for PS4 and less for Xbone and Wii U.

Sounds good to me.

#GoldenAge2.0

This is ridiculous. The Xbox one will sell more than the Xbox did in its first couple of years and unless you are talking about Japan, the big 3rd parties are done with exclusives unless there is a deal with the 1st party.

poodpick

I don't think pubs will ignore the One simply because of how similar the two are hardware wise. They might spend less time optimizing for the bone though.

How will a price-cut work?

I expect a price-cut to $299 when they reveal the PS4 slim, but that can't be a possibility till at least 2016.

They'll probably still sell it at $399 holiday 2015.

I honestly think they'll do $299 for late next year, $199 for 2017, $99 for 2018, PS5 in 2019.

Top Bottom