• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony gives GOW LTD sell in numbers by region and game

Fun fact: A non violent game like Portal 2 has sold about the same number as the first two GOW games (not combined). Something to think about publishers?

herod

I knew it was selling well because III maintained its value for so long when all the other first party stuff was dropping quite quickly.

Fun fact: A non violent game like Portal 2 has sold about the same number as the first two GOW games (not combined). Something to think about publishers?

I see the flaw in your logic; publishers don't think.

Multiplat + a game made by valve vs an exclusive ?

Yep, but still. If 4+ million sales is something a giant like Sony are proud of, and a non violent game can reach those numbers, even if it´s for multiplatform, then maybe you can vary your portfolio of games slightly if your a publisher?

Just something to think of when you see what kind of games that are completely dominating E3.

tzare

very solid numbers. A pitty GoS did not do better though. However the series may have peaked. I like GoW however so i'm in whatever comes next.

Jb

Yep, but still. If 4+ million sales is something a giant like Sony are proud of, and a non violent game can reach those numbers, even if it´s for multiplatform, then maybe you can vary your portfolio of games slightly if your a publisher?

Just something to think of when you see what kind of games that are completely dominating E3.

That's a really flawed reasoning. If it had been any developper other than Valve (or Blizzard maybe) the game would not have had that much coverage and attention, nor would it have had the kind of resources Valve was able to invest in it. And don't forget Portal 2 has been on sale numerous times on Steam.

Pranay

Sony First Party has a lot of Variety in its port folio.

Little Big Planet ?
Journey ?
unfinished swan ?
Heavy rain ?
Beyond ?
Sly 4 ?
rachet and clank ?
inFamous ?
Warhawk ?

and more games from psn

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the hell is God of War: Origins?

haadim

Now I understand why there are so many HD collections on PS3

Every gaming company must envy that GOW collection numbers!!

Kikujiro

You think an average gamer knows what Valve is?

What's the definition of average gamer? If a game sell 4 million (like God and War and Portal) are the buyers hardcore gamers or average gamers?

Half-Life 2 sold more than 6.5 million copies, I think Valve is pretty popular.

DeadTrees

Ha ha, yeah, the guys that brought us Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, and Dota 2 are the poster children for nonviolence. Why the hell did you even bring this up?

mr_toa

Respectable numbers for the PSP GoW editions - not compared to e.g. the PS3 ditto but in general industry level of success.

Raonak

Banned

Eh, portal is an outlier.

It's made by valve, and more importantly, it carries brand name. the sequel of portal which was critically acclaimed and cult status. the origin of the cake is a lie.

Over 400,000 in Japan, is that accurate? Most be counting bundles, i never saw the knowledgeable guys at the Famitsu and Media Create weekly sales thread mentioning GoW III as one of the most successful PS3 games.

BKK

Over 400,000 in Japan, is that accurate? Most be counting bundles, i never saw the knowledgeable guys at the Famitsu and Media Create weekly sales thread mentioning GoW III as one of the most successful PS3 games.

130k in Japan according to Media Create, but those shipments are for the whole Asian region, not just Japan.

CassSept

An average game probably knows what counterstrike is. So yes.

What's the definition of average gamer? If a game sell 4 million (like God and War and Portal) are the buyers hardcore gamers or average gamers?

Half-Life 2 sold more than 6.5 million copies, I think Valve is pretty popular.

I've meant the middle demographic so to speak (those that don't play casual games, but play mostly what's popular at the moment, aren't really interested besides that).

But yeah, CS is a fair point.

130k in Japan according to Media Create, but those shipments are for the whole Asian region, not just Japan.
But of course!... thanks for clarifying BKK. I didn't expect that the rest of Asia would sell 3 times more than japan. Surprising.

Curufinwe

These are the numbers Capcom are chasing with their Devil may Cry reboot because DMC 4 selling 2.7 million just wasn't good enough, but puzzlingly they picked a developer whose last game couldn't even crack a million.

Meier

Err...

Mario Galaxy 2 is sitting at 6.72 million. GoW3 isn't too far behind at just over 5 million.

Good call, I was primarily thinking of the "New Super Mario Brothers" type games but I was under the impression Galaxy 1 and 2 had done a bit better.

I'm not surprised the HD collection has done well either. Nintendo will be silly to not thoroughly take advantage of this on the Wii U. People are DYING to play their existing games in HD.

onQ123

Good call, I was primarily thinking of the "New Super Mario Brothers" type games but I was under the impression Galaxy 1 and 2 had done a bit better.

I'm not surprised the HD collection has done well either. Nintendo will be silly to not thoroughly take advantage of this on the Wii U. People are DYING to play their existing games in HD.

HD Nintendo games is the biggest reason I like Wii U

Very well deserved, great series. I think it's running the risk of getting stale, though.

I'm already there. I'm actually playing through GOW3 now and I feel like I've already played it somehow even though I haven't. I'm having to force myself to finish it. I think the team that does GOW should work on a new series that is very similar in gameplay but with a completely new protagonist and setting. I'm sick of ancient Greece.

Top Bottom