• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony gives GOW LTD sell in numbers by region and game

Surprising to learn that GoW III was the best selling one in the series by a large margin considering the installed base of the ps2 vs ps3.

Edit: beaten

poor stepchild doesn't get mentioned. :(

god-of-war.jpg

This game rocked. I was hoping to see sales numbers for this in here :(

Ravage

Staggering numbers, especially for GOW Collection and CoO. GOW3 did really well too, 5.2M on a considerably smaller install base is quite an achievement :eek:

Basch

Wow, GOWIII broke 5 mil. I didn't actually expect that. I knew Sony treated it like their ace in the hole, but I never actually considered it to be one until now. Really happy III is the first to break the 5 mil barrier. It's my personal favorite of the franchise. So much better than II, and slightly better than the original. Eager to see what Stig has coming up next.

Wow, GOWIII broke 5 mil. I didn't actually expect that. I knew Sony treated it like their ace in the hole, but I never actually considered it to be one until now. Really happy III is the first to break the 5 mil barrier. It's my personal favorite of the franchise. So much better than II, and slightly better than the original. Eager to see what Stig has coming up next.

I don't think Stig is directing the next one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the dude's name is Papi or something.

I said in another thread, but I think Ascension can be the second GOW to break 5 million despite being a spin off, especially if the multiplayer is fun.

GeoramA

I remember the Collection having pretty long legs. Almost 3 mil is crazy. I wonder what the next best-selling HD collection is. MGS?

Loudninja

Satchel

Banned
I'm confused.

Are those numbers that great? Outside God of War 3 and the collections, the other games have MASSIVE userbases to sell to.

Those don't seem like great penetration rates. Especially given the quality of the games.

I'm confused.

Are those numbers that great? Outside God of War 3 and the collections, the other games have MASSIVE userbases to sell to.

Those don't seem like great penetration rates. Especially given the quality of the games.

GoW's genre isn't a big mainstream genre that's going to sell 10's a millions of units. DMC is the next best selling series in that genre. DMC4 sold 2.7m units, and it's the series best seller. So, that should put GoW's sales into perspective.

Satchel

Banned
GoW's genre isn't a big mainstream genre that's going to sell 10's a millions of units. DMC is the next best selling series in that genre. DMC4 sold 2.7m units, and it's the series best seller. So, that should put GoW's sales into perspective.

I guess. I just see a userbase of 140 million and see just under 5 million copies and think "why the hell did this unbelievable game sell so much more?"

So glad 1 outsold 2. Justice prevails. 1 is still the best in the series.

Ha ha, yeah, the guys that brought us Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, and Dota 2 are the poster children for nonviolence. Why the hell did you even bring this up?

Don't forget that paragon of pacifism that is the Left 4 Dead series.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Interesting. To put things into perspective... The Sly Collection, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, MGS HD Collection, and Halo HD sold over 720k. Who knows, Ico and SotC HD Collection probably sold more than 1m units. :p

Yea its a spinoff, it's not GOW IV.

More like GoW:A is an unnumbered mothership game, kinda like Resident Code: Veronica X and Silent Hill Homecoming. The mobile phone game is the spin-off.

Interesting. To put things into perspective... The Sly Collection, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, MGS HD Collection, and Halo HD sold over 720k. Who knows, Ico and SotC HD Collection probably sold more than 1m units. :p

More like GoW:A is an unnumbered mothership game, kinda like Resident Code: Veronica X and Silent Hill Homecoming. The mobile phone game is the spin-off.

Yea i meant like a side story game similar to code veronica.

Road

That list is NPD US only, not worldwide. You can't make that comparison. You can't also make the comparison to the SCEA only shipments either, since the 420k number represents shipments for all the Americas.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Hell fucking yeah

well deserved

I'll be buying 5 copies of ascension when its released just to support santa monica.

I think I'm hands down the biggest god of war fan there is...hell I even have the text (kratos) tattooed on my forearm lol.....*Kratos is an actual Greek word by the way. it means strength and power in Greek*

Top Bottom