• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
holy shit, people don't actually buy used games and have already been using a similar system in other platforms? what the fuck?

The PC, with games that cost less than half the console ones, isn't really a comparable scenario. The used console market is enormous, go on with this fucked up tech and see how well it ends for Sony, starting from angry retailers

So if people are used to something, they are pretty likely to accept it? Hmmm......

who said anything like that? i said i don't care, but acting "omg, people are okay with it, wtf" is silly. you don't like it, fine with me. just don't act like other people are wrong about it.

Durante

Regardless on if this personally affects you, people have to see how this is fully anti-consumer. Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't make it something worth ignoring.
It's fully anti-used-game-consumer, I can see that.

Really, I'd find it most worrying from a perspective of game preservation. But proprietary consoles are already worrying in general regarding that -- if you are in favor of preservation you need to be in favor of open hardware platforms.

The PC, with games that cost less than half the console ones, isn't really a comparable scenario. The used console market is enormous, go on with this fucked up tech and see how well it ends for Sony, starting from angry retailers
"Less than half" may be overstating it a bit. Even if you shop around you usually pay ~40 USD for a new game at launch.

Isn't that the store that makes deals every day of the week pushing the value of the games down?
You somehow make that sound like a bad thing.

Mrbob

Doesn't WiiU eshop already allow devs to do this?
Trine 2 for instance had a sale for a while in december.
What he is talking about is the level of discount. You could buy Trine 2 with the expansion on a Steam sale for 5 dollars while the WiiU sale is 16 dollars. Console sales kind of suck compared to what you can find on the pc.

Isn't that the store that makes deals every day of the week pushing the value of the games down?

yeah it is. i don't see any problem with it though, my wallet appreciates it.

cost less? indie games on steam that cost pretty much the same as their xbla and psn counterparts when they launch? pc "retail" games that cost 10 bucks less than their console offerings at launch? steam just knows how to sell games unlike sony and ms by making regular sales.

RS4-

Not buying any console that implements this.

Maybe I'd warm up to the idea if games were then priced at <$35 instead of the current $60+

Waaghals

We had a similar rumor prior to the launch of the PS3, that the blu rays had a recordable part that allowed it to be locked to the first system it was played on.

It never materialized.

Mael

You somehow make that sound like a bad thing.

Well if you're a publisher trying to make the most money out of your pricey game I can imagine that's not a good thing.

You certainly realize that on closed platforms with a captive audience it'll mean that the price will not go down like it does on Steam, right?

Foffy

Banned
people actually agreeing with this? What the fuck?

Th-they're a business stoopid! You can just choose not to buy what they're offering!

Seriously, I have no idea why gamers seem to be the audience to take it willingly when it comes to so many anti-consumer practices.

Come on... Sony consoles never quit working

I have three dead PS1s and PS2s. They do stop working.

Eusis

The thing is that the picture of the industry has changed radically this generation. Of course you were able to get some cheap used games before as well but certainly not to a level like today. It's riddiculusly easy to get used games on the internet and people sell games all over the place. I don't understand how people still fail to see this.

Compare that to movies. A BluRay is, what, 10-15 $? Who's gonna buy that used? And if you buy one you like the movie and most certainly will want to watch it again some day and therefore won't sell it again - and it wouldn't be a good bargain anyway because, like I said, who buys movies used?
Now you have videogames. A new game is 60 $, which is quite a lot of money. You have 8-10 hours minimum you can put in (more if there is a MP) and the chance you're going to play it again are bare none if you aint a hardcore fan. Selling a games is very easy and if you're quick you can get a lot of your 60$ investment back. Therefore A LOT of people yre doing exactly this. And you don't think this is a problem in any way? Wow.

I mean, I sure don't like it either that I can't sell games that I'm propbably never going to play again but that doesn't make me not see that problem the industry is facing with this.
If you were in the UK I could understand this better given the post afterwards (maybe you ARE and you're just using USD since that was what I was implying), but we've had these means to sell games to each other at the end of the 32-bit generation thanks to the likes of eBay, and there is ALWAYS additional hassle and risk that the other person will screw you over or something goes wrong with shipping and the guy can't really do anything about it but refund you. Nevermind that I'd think lending games to each other would be more of a problem.

So, frankly? No, I don't see why this is so catastrophic since in the end you NEED new games bought to become used copies in the first place, people actively use trading in to buy new stuff, and we've had the existence of used games for a long, long time, nevermind how some of those problems have more to do with a business model that may not be best for long term health. Not to mention the costs of running these servers, and the fact a lot of value in optical media is that it's just plastic, a sheet of foil, and a label, thus being very cheap and easy to mass produce. Adding actual hardware on probably quadruples the price right there per disc, and I can't see that being a rational protective measure.

Pranay

cost less? indie games on steam that cost pretty much the same as their xbla and psn counterparts when they launch? pc "retail" games that cost 10 bucks less than their console offerings at launch? steam just knows how to sell games unlike sony and ms by making regular sales.

Cause steam is mostly where AAA games are making revenue on PC. [EA for Origin].

Unlike Consoles where Retail exists where developers heavily rely their sales on.

What he is talking about is the level of discount. You could buy Trine 2 with the expansion on a Steam sale for 5 dollars while the WiiU sale is 16 dollars. Console sales kind of suck compared to what you can find on the pc.

This is a new system though. Its open to publishers so they'll just look to boost those sales like on Steam.

Sentenza

"Less than half" may be overstating it a bit. Even if you shop around you usually pay ~40 USD for a new game at launch.
Well, actually there are plenty of sources where you can find them for even less (from 20 to 30 dollars for new releases).
But for some reason GAF decided to outlaw them, so we cant really go into details with that argument.

Mael

Cost steam is mostly where AAA games are making revenue on PC. [EA for Origin].

Unlike Consoles where Retail exists where developers heavily rely their sales on.

could you rephrase that I can't seem to parse what you're saying...

Durante

The reason why I'm not entirely against this is that I really don't like businesses (like Gamestop), that don't contribute anything of value to gaming as such, make millions based on the products of others. I don't really mind individual reselling. I think a system with frequent price reductions and sales (such as on Steam) is better for everyone involved -- except people making a living off reselling stuff. Gamers can get a new game at any price point they want, and developers still see some profit from their games past the first month.

Well if you're a publisher trying to make the most money out of your pricey game I can imagine that's not a good thing.
I only see developers and publishers praising the revenue they get from Steam sales though.

Oersted

It seemed fairly evident to me, the more eyeballs that watch the promo episode the more people will be interested in actually watching the rest of the show.
I mean you don't usually make a commercial to put it on the smallest billboard ever.

And still, companies are limiting their game demos. Talk to them. And as a matter of fact, i know enough people with needs already satisfied if they play the demo.

who said anything like that? i said i don't care, but acting "omg, people are okay with it, wtf" is silly. you don't like it, fine with me. just don't act like other people are wrong about it.

Sorry, your post could have been understood that way. I certainly did^^

Eusis

how is steam not the same thing? you buy a game that gets tied to your account and can never be traded. it just sits there, whether you liked or not, regardless of how much you paid for it.
This has been covered. PC is vulnerable in ways consoles typically aren't due to being an open platform with fewer standards to rely on (you can't do tricks like the PS1 discs where a straight CD-R wasn't going to work on a PS1), and thus required extra protection via CD-Keys and even online activation, Steam was if anything an attempt to add actual value to such setups, IE you had that key and you got to download the game as often as you wanted, or that online service you had to phone in with initially was also a place to buy more games, keep your games collected together, and to match up with friends or entire communities. Not to mention that this all against piracy, not the used market that requires you forfeiting the object in order for someone else to use it.

Mrbob

This is a new system though. Its open to publishers so they'll just look to boost those sales like on Steam.
I don't have faith this will happen. The big 3 don't seem to have a clue about digital yet. I hope one of them has the lightbulb go on.

Pranay

PSN also allows developers to set their discounts as well lust like the WiiU.

They will set their price depending on the userbase and amount of user base preferring DD

20$ game where 5 people buy would suit WiiU or 5$ game which 20 people buy on steam

Pooya

PC games these days don't even hold their price for a month, it goes down fast, specially if you shop on amazon for retail games. Steam prices not as quickly, specially not Euro ones.
no resale isn't much of an issue on PC really. Games can be had for cheap mostly unless it's a Blizzard game or the like.

It wouldn't be a problem for console games too if additions of systems like this and potential increase in new sales resulted in decrease of software prices overall, that won't happen unfortunately. Make console games $40, cripple the used market, most people could live with that, $60 isn't affordable for games in this day and age when entertainment is generally available at low prices or free.

yurinka

Plus the fact that if your console gets broken your games would be useless... so instead the games should be tied to an account not a console wich is even worse if you have two accounts in the same console (if this is possible in the PS4...)
I think that it should link both the console and the user id. To allow both play with other user ids in your console, and to use it with yout id in other consoles.

Regarding second hand it would affect to the games that are played (most of the cases). I have games in my huge backlog that are still sealed so I'd be able to send the.

If they implement it, let's hope they don't limit the number of consoles where you can play the game using your user id (for broken stuff) and that they both create a digital rental system and lower faster the pricing of the retail games. It wouldn't affect me since I only buy used games in very rare cases like where I can't find a certain old game that I'm looking for.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wow, terrible move, but these rumours were already brought up some time ago, seems like sony could really be doing it.

I know a lot of friend who won't buy the system based on this. I don't buy used games, but this is a terrible thing to do.

I've grown accustomed to never being able to sell my games as I've been PC only for a while now. I did love having the option though when I had PS3/360.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The reason why I'm not entirely against this is that I really don't like businesses (like Gamestop), that don't contribute anything of value to gaming as such, make millions based on the products of others. I don't really mind individual reselling. I think a system with frequent price reductions and sales (such as on Steam) is better for everyone involved -- except people making a living off reselling stuff. Gamers can get a new game at any price point they want, and developers still see some profit from their games past the first month.

is Gamestop completely independent from game companies? I would assume so, but then you'd just need to introduce a small fee on every used game they sell, with that fee going directly to the companies

Jezbollah

What are the most educated guesses into how close the specs of the next consoles, and any perceived similarities compared to this gen will developing new games for the next Sony and MS consoles share?

If Sony decide to implement this anti-second hand system, then we could be faced with the absurd situation of developers getting most of their royalties on one platform, and the other platform gaining in second hand sales of said games...

Because I know for sure that if I was in a major position of influence at Microsoft in designing the next Xbox, I would be doing the exact opposite to what Sony are doing re used games.

Also, if was Joe Public and I was walking into a games store - I would be seeing next Xbox games all over the place, and a small section of new PS4 games - that would give me an impression over what console would be the perceived "leader", and what console to get if I was undecided over what to buy little Joey for Christmas...

2MF

Whine all you like, but the first console to crack this will enjoy the most publisher support.
Used sales are far worse for the bottom line of the publishers than piracy ever was.

Prove that.

And while you're at it, explain how selling a worse product (i.e. one that has less value by not having resale value) will boost revenue.

Eusis

Oh, another thing I should've replied to earlier:
We already had these sales on consoles.... Of course not a Steam-level yet but many things can happen once used games sales are a thing of the past.
I think this is effectively impossible. Part of why Steam does this is because the cost of "stocking" the game is next to nothing compared to a retail product: those have to be manufactured, packaged, shipped, and kept on shelves potentially at the expensive of other games. The latter is why we can have amazing fire sales every so often, but the other points are why it's a last resort on unpopular/ancient games rather than a holiday event: retailers and publishers NEED to make back that money. Plus I kind of expect payment's reversed for Steam: retailers buy the games from publishers and try to sell at MSRP to get their money back, but I kind of figure Steam offers the option to buy a game, and then depending on how many actually get sold send a check over to the publisher/developer while keeping a cut of it.

The only way I can see it working for retail is if we're just buying DD codes from them anyway... in which case the used market "dies" for the more practical reason that everyone's gone full DD, no convoluted schemes needed.

gblues

Banned
I was wondering if gamestop could develop a device that simply resets the RFID tag to "new" status.

Hell,you could probably hack the Skylander's Portal of Power to do it. I mean the game already uses RFID in the toys, it should be a small matter to get it to talk to other RFID chips.

Mael

And still, companies are limiting their game demos. Talk to them. And as a matter of fact, i know enough people with needs already satisfied if they play the demo.

They do whatever the hell they want but they're intentionally limiting their audience that way.
I don't really care if they prefer to lose sales that way.
I know of a specific time where the limit of the demo actually made sure I wasn't buying the product.
Heroes of ruin will never be bought because of the stupid limit I didn't really play it that much and now it's deleted of my 3DS, that other show on Dr House's DVD on the other I might buy it some other time.
Again it's advertisement I don't really care if they do it right or not, but let's not pretend this is a good idea.

Get off your high horse, knighty.
Gamestop and the other provide a valuable service to the industry, they're a very important cog in the marketing strategies of the industry and they even manage to get rid of the surplus of copies the industry would never want to deal with while making sure the money is reinvested in the industry.
Because they don't get to write shitty stories for Heavy Rain doesn't mean they're totally useless.
Speaking of HR, shitty dev was all worried about used game sales spoiling his coffee? Well good job now I can't find a copy of your game new or used.
So much for used games providing unlimited quantities of goods.

I only see developers and publishers praising the revenue they get from Steam sales though.

That's certainly better than the nothing they'd get if they went another after decades of pissing on their customers.
is Gamestop completely independent from game companies? I would assume so, but then you'd just need to introduce a small fee on every used game they sell, with that fee going directly to the companies

Do you want to give companies your bank account number too?
What service does publishers provide in the used game business?
If the answer is nothing, since they're not the state they should get nothing.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well, actually there are plenty of sources where you can find them for even less (from 20 to 30 dollars for new releases).
But for some reason GAF decided to outlaw them, so we cant really go into details with that argument.
That reads to me like you're saying it's an inherent bonus for the PC platform that is embraced by publishers.

Publisher hate this region avoidance thing and there are plenty examples of game companies that wish that didn't happen and for example take steps to block this. (See Bethesda and Steamworks).
This issue has to be looked at from the angle of the publisher, the game developer, the platform holder and the end user.

IrishNinja

Something like this is totally deal breaking for me.

yeah. OP obviously can't say much on the potential application (something like an online pass/reactivation fee) but any of that would strongly push me to the competition, they gotta know that when considering this though

This is worst than region locking.

also agreed, DD future will already limit by abilities to resell, lend games out etc, doing so even prior to that is madness

Pranay

could you rephrase that I can't seem to parse what you're saying...

Fixed my mistake.

Anyways i believe the sales and discounts will get better on Xbla and PSN when they go complete digital.

PSN didnt offer Day 1 retail games on DD till few months.

The Console Developers will most likly improve it next gen, they have improved this year especially SCEE.

Currently most games they still rely on Retail sales for majority revenue

i don't see why so many developers are flocking so steam then, from indie to big publishers and ditching gfwl to steamworks.

You certainly realize that on closed platforms with a captive audience it'll mean that the price will not go down like it does on Steam, right?

as low on steam? no. that doesn't mean games won't keep on dropping in price in the following months as they always have. this just means you won't be able to resell it because it's tied to your psn id.

jaosobno

If business existed in a changeless vacuum, then you're 100% right.

The only way that this could ever happen is for Sony and Microsoft to hold hands and do it together. No other way. Sony would be crazy to try this stunt on their own.

Volimar

Awful move. Used games are the only way a lot of people can play those games, and it helps the new game sales as well because we get credit toward new games when we trade in our used games.

Shooting yourselves in the foot saleswise and a PR blunder...

Funnily enough, I found out about this story from Destructoid which I follow on twitter which led me to wonder if there was a thread on GAF about it yet, only to discover that the source for the Destructoid article was NeoGAF.

:p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The only way that this could ever happen is for Sony and Microsoft to hold hands and do it together. No other way. Sony would be crazy to try this stunt on their own.

I believe that was the initial rumor, actually.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Never say never.
They don't just pursue this kind of patent with the intent to never ever use it.

Companies research some technology preemptively...not necessarily intending to use but, to have it available if they have to.

It's not enough to say they will or won't use this tech. I think it is interesting though.

BadWolf

I've pretty much decided to go with nothing but a PS4 at this point but if Sony goes through with this then they can say goodbye to my support. I'm way too low on money to be buying new only all the time. Highly doubt they will go this route though.

I believe that was the initial rumor, actually.

Yeah was EA not supposedly playing them against each other?
Offering to back the system that does this?

We'll see what happens. Maybe Sony will push for the publisher to decide?
Which I would have a hard time 'hating' even if I don't think it really makes economic sense.

You can just ignore those specific games, and certainly would make Sony more comfortable in Japan.

Durante

Get off your high horse, knighty.
Gamestop and the other provide a valuable service to the industry, they're a very important cog in the marketing strategies of the industry and they even manage to get rid of the surplus of copies the industry would never want to deal with while making sure the money is reinvested in the industry.
Because they don't get to write shitty stories for Heavy Rain doesn't mean they're totally useless.
Speaking of HR, shitty dev was all worried about used game sales spoiling his coffee? Well good job now I can't find a copy of your game new or used.
So much for used games providing unlimited quantities of goods.
What's up with the unnecessary vitriol and the unrelated rant about Heavy Rain? Do you work for Gamestop?
Anyway, so you're saying that Gamestop is important for marketing. Which is really a part of the industry I could do with less of.

Well, it's not like physical copies will be around for long in the grand scheme of things, so all of this isn't really relevant long-term.

Top Bottom