• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Leipzig Lineup List and Jaffe's new game.

Wizman23

Banned
Where is God of War 3? For a title that is supposed to come out in March we have not even seen a screen shot for this game.

Whoa. I just read up on The Outsider. First time of me hearing about the game. This game sounds AMAZING. Why is the game being kept so quiet? It wasn't even at E3.....

Although a large part of The Outsider consists of traditional action and combat, the game also focusses on playing various factions off against each other, from the Chinese secret service to the corrupt CIA agents who framed you. In order to do so, players will benefit from a sophisticated NPC interaction system that Braben demonstrated with a short scene showing Jameson getting arrested, before coming under fire. Taking cover, it's still possible to interact with the arresting officer, and engage his help against the pair's assailant, and over the course of the game it will even be possible to interact with and get help from randomly passing NPCs in the midst of firefights.

Braben also revealed a sophisticated animation system, combining physics-based animations with motion-captured actions, enabling characters to react more believably to the game world. One element of that is an 'AI' driven animation system, designed to help characters interact realistically with physical game objects (which Braben demonstrated by dropping a load of chairs on some unsuspecting characters who then extricated themselves from the resulting mess).

The other element is a standard selection of motion-captured moves - such as punches and kicks - modelled on the movements of an actor. The two combine to create equally realistic interaction between in-game characters - demonstrated with a clip showing Jameson punching someone's lights out, causing them to slump to the floor, bouncing off a desk on the way down. Frighteningly believable stuff. For more information about David Braben's latest projects, check back next week.

WTF? How credible are the developers of this game? My hype is rising through the roof. Anyone know when we'll get more info!?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
weird.. nothing about Singstar in here and London Studios I believe already said a bunch of new info would be released at Leipzig.

deepbrown

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Whoa. I just read up on The Outsider. First time of me hearing about the game. This game sounds AMAZING. Why is the game being kept so quiet? It wasn't even at E3.....

WTF? How credible are the developers of this game? My hype is rising through the roof. Anyone know when we'll get more info!?
The physics animation and motion-capture animation isn't anything out of the ordinary. Certainly what's needed for a top game.

deepbrown

Wax Free Vanilla said:
because psw said so.

why wouldn't it?
PSW said "The Outsider" was the BBC game? A multiplatform game being shown behind-the-scenes by Sony? Don't think so. BBC were talking about an exclusive Sony/PS3 game.

Busty

Banned
I imagine that we'll get some more info on some announced and unannounced PSN titles. But I'd be surprised if SCEE didn't have at least one new (as yet unannounced) 2009 title for the PS3 to show off at this event.

Do we know if this event is going to be either a keynote style address of a press conference that's going to be streamed or blogged yet?

borghe said:
weird.. nothing about Singstar in here and London Studios I believe already said a bunch of new info would be released at Leipzig.

Agreed. Didn't they go as far as to call it Singstar 'next gen' or something along those lines?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jason's Ultimatum said:
David Braben is well respected for Elite, a videogame classic, but this is a long way from that, so it remains to be seen how it turns out.

Fistwell said:
It doesnt really look all that OMGSPLURGE.
it looks better than heavy rain, for example. and those screens were taken from 2006/7.

it must be good if sony signed it up earlier this year. (psw)

in david braben we trust :bow

Busty said:
Agreed. Didn't they go as far as to call it Singstar 'next gen' or something along those lines?
I think it's suppose to be a surprise announcement, which Reeves kind of leaked. I think it's just going to be SingStar with wireless mics finally, but we'll see. I like SingStar so I'll be interested regardless. :D

Busty

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
I think it's suppose to be a surprise announcement, which Reeves kind of leaked. I think it's just going to be SingStar with wireless mics finally, but we'll see. I like SingStar so I'll be interested regardless. :D

I wonder if the online service will get a bit of a revamp. And no doubt they'll have some kind of 'uber' HOME area like Buzz to compliment the game.

Johann

Santa Monica was one of Sony's last development houses to move on to the PS3 since they made God of War 2 for the PS2. It'll be a long wait before the public sees it. Although the God of War games have a habit of showing up in March.

Busty said:
I wonder if the online service will get a bit of a revamp. And no doubt they'll have some kind of 'uber' HOME area like Buzz to compliment the game.
I really like My SingStar Online, but I hate how the servers are sometimes terrible (where you can't log in or it's taking forever to load). I wouldn't be surprised if there was some home space.

I dunno if I should give ideas, but I could maybe see Karaoke parties going on in Home with SingStar (where people could watch avatars singing). I dunno, just an idea. I do see there being a SingStar Home area.
Johann said:
Santa Monica was one of Sony's last development houses to move on to the PS3 since they made God of War 2 for the PS2. It'll be a long wait before the public sees it. Although the God of War games have a habit of showing up in March.
Actually, Sony Bend hasn't even moved to PS3 yet, and I don't believe SCEE Cambridge will have a game out on PS3 for a while.

kaching said:
David Braben is well respected for Elite, a videogame classic, but this is a long way from that, so it remains to be seen how it turns out.

The physics animation and motion-capture animation isn't anything out of the ordinary. Certainly what's needed for a top game.

I'm so excited now that I'm trying to find more info on the game. Does he or his company have a message board?

Klytus

There's an old-ish Gamasutra Interview with Braben here, focussing mainly on The Outsider. The only worrying element is that he seems to be quite keen on The Darkness. Hmmmm.

Even so, The Outsider sounds quite intriguing. Edge did a huge feature on it a while back. At the time it sounded totally amazing, but it's incredible what a couple of years in the gaming industry can do to a game which once sounded completely fresh. The focus seems to be on breaking new ground in storytelling, which is always good, and I like the idea of a political based narrative especially if it grants the player with a bit of intellgence.

He must know that what everyone really wants is a new version of Elite though...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Metalmurphy said:
Isn't Singstar already out?
supposedly they were hinting at the next singstar game (and possibly wireless mics) along with an updated policy on song releases. That was the speculation, but London Studio said more Singstar info was incoming at LZ.

Doubledex

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
it looks better than heavy rain, for example. and those screens were taken from 2006/7.
:lol :lol What? (So you saw HR in motion?)
BoilersFan23 said:
.... and I don't believe SCEE Cambridge will have a game out on PS3 for a while.
SCEEs Cambridge Studio is working on a PS3 game for maybe... nearly a year now.

Septimus

I wonder if there'll be an even inside Home for this. This is the perfect time for one since it's mainly SCEE, so I reallllllly hope there is! :D

JCtheMC

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Where are you getting this info? NEED MOAR

Jason's Ultimatum said:

EDIT: Aaah it's the guys who made Elite. Those were pretty good games from what i hear. After that they made Rollercoaster Tycoon... That doesn't sound very promising.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

RiverBed said:
vaporware.

No, that's The Outsider. But you might be right.

Busty

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
Actually, Sony Bend hasn't even moved to PS3 yet.

IIRC Sony Bend were one of the first SCEA teams to get a PS3 dev kit.

Johann said:

Sony Santa Monica is a huge studio with many different teams and internal operations in it. I believe Dylan Jobe's Warhawk team are based there now.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony Santa Monica had another team working on a PS3 project concurrently with GOW3. But that's just speculation on my part.

forgive my incredibly dorky excitement for this game, but i think this is the game true gamers have been waiting for since this gen started...

deepbrown said:
I'm not sold on Infamous...teach me.

from july's game informer (paraphrased):

set in empire city (spans 3 full islands). its begins with a nice peaceful panoramic skyline, with the words "press start" flashing on the screen. as soon as you press start, an explosion rips thru the entire skyline. at the center of the blast is a crater. at the center of the crater is a man named Dylan (you). you stagger to your feet, crackling with electricity. you now have control of the game. GO!

sucker punch co-founder brian fleming: "we want to get in the headspace of what it would be like to be a real person who has been granted these powers, then let the player take it from there. you gain control of dylan only moments after the explosion, before he is even aware that hes been granted these abilities."

"we're trying to keep whats happening connected to his powers or man-sized. its got to come off of one of those 2 things. before the disaster, dylan was already a climber. if there are ways to combine this with his new electrical powers, its our job to find them"

"we designed his powers to be deeply interactive (with the player and the game's environments) and fun to play, as opposed to being a narrative device. his powers and the storyline are in support of gameplay"

he cant turn his electrical powers off, so he cant use firearms as the ammo would explode in his hands. game director nate fox: "its not all good that youre lord electricity. there are some serious downsides..."

some villains = other superpowered people

infamous isnt structured like most open world games, with mission and side mission markers on a mini map. its an engaging world where events unfold naturally.

fleming: "the citizens, thugs, city...all part of the ecology...its an intersection of scripted events and setups along a systemic universe thats reacting to all of it." for example - youre on way to diffuse a bomb when you see a woman bleeding in the street begging for help. no one will blame you for going straight the bomb, but...what kind of hero will you be? superman and punisher both save the day in two different ways.

dylan's actions are tracked thru a karma system that affects how civilians react to him thru-out the game (unlike another sandbox game, where everything is ok once you escape the red circle). the clincher is that dylan is publically framed for the explosion minutes into the game. so the player must cultivate the desired reputation

if that doesnt sell you, i dont know what else to tell you

androvsky

Because of this: a certain David Reeves saying that there will be twelve announcements at Leizpig, and we will put money down that Uncharted 2 will make an appearance in trailer form during the Sony press conference. How do we know? Just trust us.
a certain David Reeves saying that there will be twelve announcements at Leizpig
David Reeves

Well... David Reeves is right sometimes, right? Right?

I'll show up to the station and wave to everybody, but I'm not getting on the "12 announcements at Leipzig" hypetrain.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Kittonwy said:
INFAMOUSSS!!!111!!!
angry.gif
Dear God, everytime you use one of those smileys, I think you're crapping rainbows of joy. Stop.
angry.gif

Issun23

androvsky said:
Well... David Reeves is right sometimes, right? Right?

I'll show up to the station and wave to everybody, but I'm not getting on the "12 announcements at Leipzig" hypetrain.

12 announcements in an hour... that'd be one every 5 minutes? :lol

I do think we'll see a couple of new things, mostly from the European developers as it seems each territory is using local events to showcase their latest games. But 12 announcements? Well, Mr. Reeves must have a reason for quoting that exact number though. :/

jt82ls.jpg

Heavy Rain is already good, coupled with LBP, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 and other stuff. Also, please SCEE give us a date for the video store?

RiverBed said:
vaporware.

The game seems to be in development still. Release date is 09.

This was taken from July 30th:

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/...ad-not-to-see-gta-as-competition-says-braben/

Speaking at Develop in Brighton today, Frontier boss David Braben’s given the first solid details on The Outsider, saying the game is an open-world action title based on the story of a framed cop.

“Obviously, we’d be mad not to consider GTA as competition because of the open-world nature, but in terms of the story-telling, I’ve not really seen people that are in that [place] yet, but I think that will come. I do think we’re genuinely innovating there,” he told VG247 today when asked which games he’d consider competitive to the secretive project.

“The themes: there are a lot of other where you get agents accused of terrible things. Certainly in cinema that’s very common.”

Braben added: “We’ve worked a long time on technology, and it’s been in game development now for more than a year.”

He described it as being pitched at the 18-35 year-old male.

“Yes, very much,” when asked if that was the target audience. “We’re writing the game for the sort of people that are working on it. You will get a game that’s very rewarding to play.

“It’s a very, very exciting project for us. It brings in some really interesting new issues to game development. It’s fantastic. Just dealing with a story that’s genuinely open presents lots of new challenges.

It’s open-world, but it’s getting the story
. If you think of most stories they’re very linear with the occasional branch: it’s not like that.”

The developer boss wouldn’t be drawn on a release date, saying he wants to keep the title under wraps to prevent fatigue.

“That’s intentional,” he said of the lack of information on the game. “We don’t want to put lots and lots of news about something in advance. It’s good to drip a bit out.”

The Outsider has previously been confirmed as an Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release​
.​

VicViper

Going by the most recent USK ratings, Loco Roco 2 will also make an appearance at GC.

EDIT: Along with Resistance Retribution, a new Buzz Junior for PS2, Crash Commando and Savage Moon for PS3.

Issun23

VicViper said:
Going by the most recent USK ratings, Loco Roco 2 will also make an appearance at GC.

EDIT: Along with Resistance Retribution, a new Buzz Junior for PS2, Crash Commando and Savage Moon for PS3.

Is Savage Moon some military/strategy game?

deepbrown

Glute.Belly said:
forgive my incredibly dorky excitement for this game, but i think this is the game true gamers have been waiting for since this gen started...

from july's game informer (paraphrased):

set in empire city (spans 3 full islands). its begins with a nice peaceful panoramic skyline, with the words "press start" flashing on the screen. as soon as you press start, an explosion rips thru the entire skyline. at the center of the blast is a crater. at the center of the crater is a man named Dylan (you). you stagger to your feet, crackling with electricity. you now have control of the game. GO!

sucker punch co-founder brian fleming: "we want to get in the headspace of what it would be like to be a real person who has been granted these powers, then let the player take it from there. you gain control of dylan only moments after the explosion, before he is even aware that hes been granted these abilities."

"we're trying to keep whats happening connected to his powers or man-sized. its got to come off of one of those 2 things. before the disaster, dylan was already a climber. if there are ways to combine this with his new electrical powers, its our job to find them"

"we designed his powers to be deeply interactive (with the player and the game's environments) and fun to play, as opposed to being a narrative device. his powers and the storyline are in support of gameplay"

he cant turn his electrical powers off, so he cant use firearms as the ammo would explode in his hands. game director nate fox: "its not all good that youre lord electricity. there are some serious downsides..."

some villains = other superpowered people

infamous isnt structured like most open world games, with mission and side mission markers on a mini map. its an engaging world where events unfold naturally.

fleming: "the citizens, thugs, city...all part of the ecology...its an intersection of scripted events and setups along a systemic universe thats reacting to all of it." for example - youre on way to diffuse a bomb when you see a woman bleeding in the street begging for help. no one will blame you for going straight the bomb, but...what kind of hero will you be? superman and punisher both save the day in two different ways.

dylan's actions are tracked thru a karma system that affects how civilians react to him thru-out the game (unlike another sandbox game, where everything is ok once you escape the red circle). the clincher is that dylan is publically framed for the explosion minutes into the game. so the player must cultivate the desired reputation

if that doesnt sell you, i dont know what else to tell you

;/

Issun23 said:
12 announcements in an hour... that'd be one every 5 minutes? :lol

I do think we'll see a couple of new things, mostly from the European developers as it seems each territory is using local events to showcase their latest games. But 12 announcements? Well, Mr. Reeves must have a reason for quoting that exact number though. :/

jt82ls.jpg

Heavy Rain is already good, coupled with LBP, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 and other stuff. Also, please SCEE give us a date for the video store?

Those 12 announcements don't have to all be about new games though. They could be about new features in a game that were unknown before. Isn't LBP still supposed to have a reveal?

deepbrown

Wax Free Vanilla said:

it must be good if sony signed it up earlier this year. (psw)

in david braben we trust :bow
You're saying The Outsider is a PS3 exclusive?

And those screenshots don't come close to Heavy Rain...unless PSW told you it looks better than Heavy Rain...then I'd have to believe you.

deepbrown

Rapping Granny said:
Give me Jack 4 or Sly Cooper Mistur Reevz.
Not going to happen. At least not on the PS3

Busty said:
Hmmmm.

*strokes imaginary beard*

An RTS game.... potentially released over PSN.... hmmmmmm.

Interestng. Very interesting.
I'M CONFUSED! Have we heard of this before?

Top Bottom