• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Middle East using Forza screenshot to promote Drive Club?

Project Cars on PC looks miles better (pun very much intended) than Driveclub. There's really no contest. And I'd argue Forza 5 does too because the framerate really is a major contributing factor to the experience.

We'll agree to disagree, I think once the modding community hits hard with project cars, it'll be much better looking, but as it is now, the game looks extremely sterile. But I also think race tracks in general are extremely drab and boring.

To me anyway, drive club is far and away the prettiest racing game (at least when talking about being grounded in reality).

Project Cars on PC looks miles better (pun very much intended) than Driveclub. There's really no contest. And I'd argue Forza 5 does too because the framerate really is a major contributing factor to the experience.
Maybe just car models. But as an overall package? I'd have to give it to DC.

nib95

Banned

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Even based off of a quick and dirty gameplay video captures comparison, the differences in lighting, shadowing, geometry, shaders etc are easy apparent.

Forza top.
Project Cars middle.
DriveClub bottom.

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0018.jpg

13908171700_5c153280d7_o.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at115043.jpg~original

---

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114904.jpg~original

---

recording_2014-03-08_flja6.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114826.jpg~original

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0014.jpg

mediumish249j00.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114525.jpg~original

Cygnus

Banned
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Even based off of a quick and dirty gameplay video captures comparison, the differences in lighting, shadowing, geometry, shaders etc are easy apparent.

Forza top.
Project Cars middle.
DriveClub bottom.

---
l[/IMG]
Why are you using Pcars shots with unfinished tracks and low IQ settings?

But still I do think Driveclub has the better lighting of the 3, although of course it also runs the at half the framerate of the other 2 games.

Anion

By showing a far uglier game? Many desperate.
No by showing a game that came out on time
I kid, I kid

Comparisons between Forza and DC are pretty ridiculous. I wish people would see this. One is a simulator that was released on day one with the goal of capturing the the most accurate physics as T10 could do, whereas the other one was a more arcadish-racer that was focusing on the graphics and environment after more optimization.

Tbh, DC should be more compared to Forza Horizon 2 even though that will be an open world game. That being said, I expected these comparisons of Forza and DC...

Anion

I'm thinking no one wanted the game to release on time. It wasn't done.

Forza needed way more bake time from the looks of it's environments.
Yeah definitely. I'm actually pretty happy at how both games came out given the circumstances. Forza with the launch day pressure and DC with all that drama and such.

Nonetheless, it is a great year for race game enthusiasts, regardless of the platform.

nib95

Banned
Why are you using Pcars shots with unfinished tracks and low IQ settings?

But still I do think Driveclub has the better lighting of the 3, although of course it also runs the at half the framerate of the other 2 games.

Not all of them are. Some of them are on the highest settings, just not using the highest IQ settings. Which is more realistic anyway, since most people aren't going to be playing the game with 8xMSAA and 16xAF, or ultra downsampled etc. The bullshots we often see of games like PCars, GT, Forza etc are unfortunately rarely accurately reflective of actual gameplay graphics.

On a side note, I predict ProjectCars on consoles will end up being 30fps. All Slightly Mad Studios other console racers were afaik.

Cygnus

Banned
Not all of them are. Some of them are on the highest settings, just not using the highest IQ settings. Which is more realistic anyway, since most people aren't going to be playing the game with 8xMSAA and 16xAF, or ultra downsampled etc. The bullshots we often see of games like PCars, GT, Forza etc are unfortunately rarely accurately reflective of actual gameplay graphics.

On a side note, I predict ProjectCars on consoles will end up being 30fps. All Slightly Mad Studios other console racers were afaik.

That first Pcars shot is hideous lol, definitely doesn't belong in comparison shots. I'm sure most people will be playing with at least 4xMSAA which gets rid of most jaggiest at 1080p, and 16xAF is hardly a system hog is it? Downsampling definitely is though.

Also I noticed the rear view mirror is the wrong shape on the Forza model, strange.

Forza top.
Project Cars middle.
DriveClub bottom.

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0018.jpg

13908171700_5c153280d7_o.jpg

ibaNOzoURhtJx9.jpg

i9uKNndlejENI.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at115043.jpg~original

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you as well. I added my pCARS pics underneath your pCARS pic.

Of course, those pics are taken from ugly video capture, still, my pics more accurately represent what pCARS really looks like, and you should have used the same car in a 3 pics at least. :)

nib95

Banned
That first Pcars shot is hideous lol, definitely doesn't belong in comparison shots. I'm sure most people will be playing with at least 4xMSAA which gets rid of most jaggiest at 1080p, and 16xAF is hardly a system hog is it? Downsampling definitely is though.

Also I noticed the rear view mirror is the wrong shape on the Forza model, strange.

The funny thing is, I think that shot was a direct capture taken by a GAFer. Posted in some thread or another, to show how it looked in gameplay. The settings can't be that low because there's soft high quality shadows, motion blur, a high amount of AF etc.

Cygnus

Banned
The funny thing is, I think that shot was a direct capture taken by a GAFer. Posted in some thread or another, to show how it looked in gameplay. The settings can't be that low because there's soft high quality shadows, motion blur, a high amount of AF etc.

I own Pcars and it looks much MUCH nicer than that shot. That has bad IQ and an unfinished track.The 3rd shot you posted looks more like how it looks on my screen

nib95

Banned
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you as well. I added my pCARS pics underneath your pCARS pic.

Of course, those pics are taken from ugly video capture, still, my pics more accurately represent what pCARS really looks like, and you should have used the same car in a 3 pics at least. :)

So high quality direct captures versus video screen captures? Plus you have completely different lighting in your shots, not to mention one is a city track.

Add to that, I actually don't think they look particularly realistic, and I'm glad you posted them. They look over exaggerated and blown out. The reflections on the car make it look toy like (maybe a lack of subtlety or shadows?), and there's an inordinate amount of blur on everything, or an over aggressive use of depth of field, to the extent that it makes the car stand out far too much, and the overall scene look less realistic.

velociraptor

IQ and motion blur in pCARS looks beautiful.

So high quality direct captures versus video screen captures? Plus you have completely different lighting in your shots, not to mention one is a city track.

Add to that, I actually don't think they look particularly realistic, and I'm glad you posted them. They look over exaggerated and blown out. The reflections on the car make it look toy like (maybe a lack of subtlety or shadows?), and there's an inordinate amount of blur on everything, or an over aggressive use of depth of field, to the extent that it makes the car stand out far too much, and the overall scene look less realistic.

All 3 pics you used had completely different lighting as well, and not to mention a purposfully ugly looking pCARS shot...and different cars...

And in reality when you are moving, things look blurred. Here's a less blurred shot for you.

iYnnpP4WIwpYH.jpg

nib95

Banned
All 3 pics you used had completely different lighting as well, and not to mention a purposfully ugly looking pCARS shot...and different cars...

And in reality when you are moving, things look blurred. Here's a less blurred shot for you.

iYnnpP4WIwpYH.jpg

Motion blur wasn't the issue in the other shot, it was the aggressive depth of field. This shot looks better imo, but it certainly doesn't hover the line between photo realistic like some of the other DriveClub shots and gameplay videos, or some of the Project Cars shots or gameplay I've seen in the past either. Lighting is very much traditional looking and "game" like.

In-fact, the shot you've posted above sort of reminds me of an upgraded GRID 2.

grid2_avx2013-07-1203ssku5.png

grid2_avx2013-07-1203igjkk.png

Lighting is still very game like, whereas I feel DriveClub is the first racing game I've seen to consistently bridge that near photo realistic look. At least in the latter builds anyway.

Motion blur wasn't the issue in the other shot, it was the aggressive depth of field. This shot looks better imo, but it certainly doesn't hover the line between photo realistic like some of the other DriveClub shots and gameplay videos, or some of the Project Cars shots or gameplay I've seen in the past either. Lighting is very much traditional looking and "game" like.

In-fact, the shot you've posted above sort of reminds me of an upgraded GRID 2.

Lighting is still very game like, whereas I feel DriveClub is the first racing game I've seen to consistently bridge that near photo realistic look. At least in the latter builds anyway.

I must confess that I added a slight DOF to the first pic. I was basically wanting to show the IQ and the same car model at least. The pCARS pic you used was ugly and not a very good representation of the game imo.

Here's a more realistic lighting/weather shot I just took.

icJBWVEp1QDHd.jpg

The thing is about people who compare it to DriveClub, is that they say the environments look bland... well, to me, DriveClubs environments look fake as hell. I'm not saying pCARS doesn't have a ways to go yet, many things are still far from finished, but if we are going to compare it to a game that was supposed to be done what half a year ago, then we should put some things into perspective.

nib95

Banned
I must confess that I added a slight DOF to the first pic. I was basically wanting to show the IQ and the same car model at least. The pCARS pic you used was ugly and not a very good representation of the game imo.

Here's a more realistic lighting/weather shot I just took.

icJBWVEp1QDHd.jpg

The thing is about people who compare it to DriveClub, is that they say the environments look bland... well, to me, DriveClubs environments look fake as hell. I'm not saying pCARS doesn't have a ways to go yet, many things are still far from finished, but if we are going to compare it to a game that was supposed to be done what half a year ago, then we should put some things into perspective.

Once again, we'll just have to respectfully disagree.

Here are some DriveClub examples of sunset or sun bleached conditions.

Since we've had no gameplay with overcast conditions, here's the closets examples I could find that look vaguely similar in lighting..

I don't know about you, but to me one looks considerably more life like and realistic than the other.

Shin

Banned
Maybe someone should create a comparison thread between DC/PC/Forza 5, since this is going off-topic.
I mean we're making comparison between the three and which looks more natural/best instead of what this thread is about...Sony M-E making a mistake :p

Bloodrage

Banned
Lol @ the atrocious fake lighting in Forza. Pretty bad on whoever mixed up the two. Why would they intentionally try to pass Driveclub for something that looks far worse? The real question that remains is who's getting fired?

manual4

Banned
so you all are comparing screen shots of a game that has released months ago to two other games that still have several months of production left. Hell lets use the forza 5 e3 build aswell

Head.spawn

I'm not even sure how we're going about comparing Driveclub to PCars. The clean P:Cars shots that were posted are goddamned beautiful, the Driveclub pics posted in comparison are a blurry mess for the most part with the Audi shot being the only one with any kind of detail. I know they're from video, but I can't be objective and try to imagine these shots without all the muddiness, which is seems is going on here.

Clearly Driveclub > Forza as far as image quality goes (based off of clearer shots that I've seen), but I'm not seeing the PC Project Cars comparison.

dude404

I'm not even sure how we're going about comparing Driveclub to PCars. The clean P:Cars shots that were posted are goddamned beautiful, the Driveclub pics posted in comparison are a blurry mess for the most part with the Audi shot being the only one with any kind of detail. I know they're from video, but I can't be objective and try to imagine these shots without all the muddiness, which is seems is going on here.

Clearly Driveclub > Forza as far as image quality goes (based off of clearer shots that I've seen), but I'm not seeing the PC Project Cars comparison.

I own pcars and played it first hand, pcars still has some last gen things due to it being based on the need for speed shift engine. Drive club has the better environment, reflections, and lighting which is really a big thing to me base on the videos I have seen of drive club.

Head.spawn

I own pcars and played it first hand, pcars still has some last gen things due to it being based on the need for speed shift engine. Drive club has the better environment, reflections, and lighting which is really a big thing to me base on the videos I have seen of drive club.

I definitely agree, it has a clear edge the environment and lighting, but those shots posted to compare to just bad looking IMO. Just to be clear, I'm not saying Driveclub can't compare to Project Cars on any level... just that these shots posted to prove that point are doing the opposite from what I'm seeing. It would be better to just wait for clean direct feed shots to do the comparison than this.

nasanu

Banned
Anyone who thinks pCARS looks better than DRIVECLUB needs to post a gameplay video. They all look pretty rubbish from what I have seen. Sure the 'gameplay' trailer of pCARS looks awesome, but its very strange gameplay when most of the shots are external and many are in front on the car.

A quick search of recent youtube uploads of pCARS reveals what the game really looks like and it can't match DRIVECLUB.

Oh and to the guy posting the pCARS shots, can you explain to me why brake lights glow in bright sunshine in pCARS? Which universe's laws of physics does this game model?

dolabla

Once again, we'll just have to respectfully disagree.

Here are some DriveClub examples of sunset or sun bleached conditions.

Since we've had no gameplay with overcast conditions, here's the closets examples I could find that look vaguely similar in lighting..

I don't know about you, but to me one looks considerably more life like and realistic than the other.

Driveclub easily looks more realistic. Evolution really nailed it.

Top Bottom