• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sony no longer making formula one games

pswii60 said:
Depends who picks up the license?

MS could do with the boost in Europe - but they have no-one to develop it.

So, I reckon it'll go multiplatform.

EDIT: I suppose Bizarre Creations (as Solid2Snake said) could crank a decent F1 game out with the PGR engine. But I doubt this will happen.

Turn10. That would be full of awesome at 60 fps.

pswii60

nofilter said:
Almost as awesome as Polyphony getting their hands on it, huh?

Eh, yeah except "sony no longer making formula one games".

That potential awesome has been wasted for the last 10 years, and will now never happen. And there are some people here who prefer Forza to GT ;)

EDIT: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

nofi

pswii60 said:
Eh, yeah except "sony no longer making formula one games".

Didn't know Polyphony were Sony. Thanks. ;)

pswii60 said:
That potential awesome has been wasted for the last 10 years, and will now never happen. And there are some people here who prefer Forza to GT ;)

Yeah, me for one.

pswii60

nofilter said:
Didn't know Polyphony were Sony. Thanks. ;)

Polyphony are most definitely part of Sony. Thanks. ;)

Yeah, me for one.

Well, I don't like either much. Arcade racers for me.

EDIT: Although I like the 'Arcade' modes in both games, if only they were more fleshed out to the degree of the sim modes.

EDIT2: Although I loved Indy 500 on the Amiga and the GP games Geoff Crammond made. So if he was involved, DAY ONE.

nofi

pswii60 said:
Polyphony are most definitely part of Sony. Thanks. ;)

Well, you know as well as I do that just because Sony don't have the license doesn't mean PD can't bid for it.

They won't, of course, but you know...

;););););););)

pswii60 said:
EDIT2: Although I loved Indy 500 on the Amiga and the GP games Geoff Crammond made. So if he was involved, DAY ONE.

Me too. With a passion.

GrayFoxPL

maxmars said:
Somewhere I have a game called EA F1 99-02, it can't be more than five years. Or is the license non-exclusive?

Really? Shit, must've missed that. So it seams they kind of had it from 96 to 99 and from 02 to 07. Something like that.

I confuse myself.

pswii60

GrayFoxPL said:
Really? Shit, must've missed that. So it seams they kind of had it from 96 to 99 and from 02 to 07. Something like that.

I confuse myself.

I thought Sony were making the games at the same time as EA. It's just that Sony didn't own the license exclusively. A bit like NBA.

Animal

Banned
Even though i am a Polyphony whore, I would say that the PGR team is where the F1 franchise could be taken to new next-gen heights.

cilonen

Masta_Killah said:
Turn10. That would be full of awesome at 60 fps.

Nah, you'd only get 10 of the eighteen F1 tracks and every other car online would be a member of the 'Penis Racing' squad.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Ghost said:
I think Formula 1 is such a shitty license, it's basically a much slower wipeout with no weapons and the same tracks every time...and if your technically accurate enough you'll achieve maybe 1 successful overtaking maneauver per race.

It would be like licensing the WNBA, then making WNBA 2k8 with exactly the same feature set and NBA 2k8 but no dunking
:lol

dfyb

Banned
:lol @ people saying f1ce for ps3 is bad.

and :lol:lol at people wanting codemasters or sega to pick it up.

edit: and this sucks because EA will probably pick it up and it'll suck.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would like to see Polyphony or Turn10 have a crack at it.

And a dirty digit to those who say F1:CE for PS3 is "really bad".

The thing that really sucks about F1 Ce is the garbage commentary. It's so delayed and doesn't match with what's going on. If I pull off a pass, I want the commentators to acknowledge it. Stuff like this is so last-last gen. I heard better commentary on PS1.

dfyb said:
:lol @ people saying f1ce for ps3 is bad.

and :lol:lol at people wanting codemasters or sega to pick it up.

edit: and this sucks because EA will probably pick it up and it'll suck.
Why not Sega? Well, I don't mean like saying they realistically will, but Sega Racing Studios have done a good job with Sega Rally, and they are primarily a racing studio... heck, it's in the name.

Kittonwy

Banned
justjohn said:
looks like sony wont be making anymore formula one games. it was confirmed on a recent uk gamespot podcast.
i've to say i'm surprised by this decision. lewis hamilton is making the game very popular right now, and if they get his face on the cover as well as great next gen graphics exclusively on the ps3 it could be quite huge in europe, especially the uk.

I liked Formula 1 PS3 but then I would like Liverpool to concentrate on their own IP, namely Wipeout, and just make it HUGE, that and maybe develop a new viable franchise.

spwolf

Visualante said:
Edge said so, in great technical detail as to why. I'd say it only got 4/10 because it was a UK game at launch.

they did? as much as I remember, their points were ridicilous and reviewer didnt play the game properly... there were 2 really bad reviews for the game that were quite opposite (one said it was too arcadey, and another one that it is too hardcore, dont remember which one was Edge)... In any case, nobody that played it said so :), game is actually quite good.

And actually, game is #3 seller for Sony in Europe, didnt do bad at all, it is just that Sony didnt want to renew their 6/7 year (i think) deal, because it is too much money for something that sells only in Europe.

zsidane

Finally! Thanks GOD!
Now make that license non-exclusive, ask Bizzare Creations to make a new F1 game and be sure to give EA the rights to make a game, they did a great job on PC.
We need Videosystem back on this and the guys who made Monaco Grand Prix :D

Burai

shitonmychest57
spwolf said:
And actually, game is #3 seller for Sony in Europe, didnt do bad at all, it is just that Sony didnt want to renew their 6/7 year (i think) deal, because it is too much money for something that sells only in Europe.

Basically.

Even a few years back when Sony bought the "exclusive" licence, it was actually no such thing. EA and Atari just got fed up with throwing so much money at an oversubscribed franchise and FOCA/Sony spun their licence as an exclusive to save face.

As it stands F1 games are titles that sell on systems, but aren't games that actually sell systems. For Sony to be making them first party was a waste of money.

Burai

shitonmychest57
zsidane said:
Finally! Thanks GOD!
Now make that license non-exclusive, ask Bizzare Creations to make a new F1 game and be sure to give EA the rights to make a game, they did a great job on PC.
We need Videosystem back on this and the guys who made Monaco Grand Prix :D

Pffft. Forget all that. Melbourne House was where it was at...

Grand-prix-challenge-cover.jpg

4 life.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
McClaren are a bunch of cheating cheats.

Thats all I have to say.

dear Kimi, stop drinking, start racing

dfyb

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Why not Sega? Well, I don't mean like saying they realistically will, but Sega Racing Studios have done a good job with Sega Rally, and they are primarily a racing studio... heck, it's in the name.
i havn't seen a worthy sim from sega

zsidane

Burai said:
Pffft. Forget all that. Melbourne House was where it was at...

Grand-prix-challenge-cover.jpg

4 life.
I must admit that I never had the opportunity to try this one. Actually, never heard of it. How good it is? (I love what Melbourne House did with Le Mans 24h on DC, so it must be great...).

Burai

shitonmychest57
zsidane said:
I must admit that I never had the opportunity to try this one. Actually, never heard of it. How good it is? (I love what Melbourne House did with Le Mans 24h on DC, so it must be great...).

It's really, really good. It's the Le Mans 24 Hours of F1 games if that makes sense. It looks amazing for a PS2 game and it plays really nicely. There isn't a single console F1 game in it's league.

It's a shame really. There hasn't been a truly great F1 game since 2002 (GPC and EA's F1 99-02 on PC). It's no wonder that people aren't going mental over F1 games any more when other racing series' are far better represented in games like GTR, RACE, TOCA, Forza and GT.

Also: Alonso fans please shut up. You've ruined all of my favourite F1 forums with your blind defence of your hero, please don't ruin this one. Yes, Hamilton did bad. Yes, Alonso did bad. Now please SHUT UP.

zsidane

Burai said:
It's really, really good. It's the Le Mans 24 Hours of F1 games if that makes sense. It looks amazing for a PS2 game and it plays really nicely. There isn't a single console F1 game in it's league.
It really makes sense :D
Thanks, I'll look for the game and give it a try.

newsguy

DrM said:
My bet is on also on EA. Yay, F1 game every year.

Yeah, I would love to be racing in an open wheel car that has chrome rims while the soundtrack (which will inevitably block the view of my car) pops up and tells me I'm listening to Pitbull feat. JoJo courtesy of EATRAX

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
solid2snake said:
why? the best was Formula 1 98 on PlayStation and this one was developed by Psynosis (R.I.P.)

Oh you are so wrong, F1 97 was the best version, and was developed by none other than....Bizarre creations, published by Psygnosis, F1 98 was piss poor, and was developed by Visual Science (In a rush) and as a result, sucked, however they went on to make the EA F1 series after.

Anyway I hope the F1 rights go to someone with a racing pedigree, and Bizzare would be an excellent fit, it probably wont happen, but I can but hope.

Top Bottom