• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now owns the Sunset Overdrive IP.

thelastword

Banned
Why not

SO is still a great game

I want SO2 beside a new spiderman and resistance game

Theres nothing wrong with having more options
I don't see much appeal in it tbh, it didn't sell that well and when it came to PC, it didn't sell that well there either...….I bought it btw, just found it too slow with the characterizations a bit unappealing......I personally would prefer to play a new JSRF over this, is what I was thinking...Yet, if there's a market for it and it's sustainable and worth their while why not, but if they have to expand the base for this game, they will have to change the formula, that's for sure.....

rəddəM

Among Thieves baby.
6921a6f9687bda2708fcb17f5158e003.gif

Doubtful. They have a higher install base on PS4 clearly and PS5 is BC, it would make more sense to just port to the larger install base as the PS5 base can still actually get the title and play it.
Its not just about convincing Xbox/PC owners to get a PS5, Sony has to convince PS4 owners to upgrade. Putting this game on PS4 does nothing to convince that 100m+ install base to upgrade. Its an easy title to fill the early droughts that every console.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So is Sunset Overdrive a great game now?
It's not great, but it's definitely good and borderline great. I have more issues with the map design compared to basically everything else. They dropped the ball on the map design imo.

I'd love to see them get another crack at it. MS did them a solid at allowing them to keep their IP.

Zannegan

x5gi1JY.jpg

I cannot think or comprehend of anything more cucked than publishing an Insomniac game. Honestly, think about it rationally. You are paying devs, scheduling, selling and marketing a game for at least three years solely so it can go and get acquired by another hardware manufacturer. All the hard work you put into your beautiful little game - discussing the story with Ted Price, making the studio go to E3, making sure the game stays on schedule, educating the devs on the Xbox One hardware, play-testing with them. All of it has one simple result: the game is more enjoyable for other hardware makers.

Made the perfect game? Great. Who benefits? If you're lucky, a random studio who had nothing to do with the way the game was made, who buys Insomniac. They get to put the game on their hardware. They get the benefits of its kind and sweet control and sick verticality that came from the way you worked on it.

As a hardware maker who has a contract with Insomniac, you are LITERALLY dedicating at least three years of your life simply to develop a game for Sony to enjoy. It is the ULTIMATE AND FINAL cuck. Think about it logically.

If the game hadn't quasi-bombed Microsoft would have protected the IP. From their perspective, all that effort went down the tubes when the game didn't sell/didn't sell more Xboxes. It's not like losing it as an exclusive hurts them now. *shrug*

autoduelist

I hope Guerilla and Insomniac collaborate to bring us the hybrid sequel we never knew we wanted... Horizon Zero Sunset Overdrive.

FranXico

Publishing rights must still be respected.

The only curious thing here is that Sony now gets a cut from SO sales.

Still, nothing that we didn't know.

vkbest

Surprised when people thinks its easy for Kojima to port Death Stranding to PC, despite Sony owning the IP and publishing rights, when you can to see that even having IP you couldn't skip the publisher rights.

Ar¢tos

Publishing rights must still be respected.

The only curious thing here is that Sony now gets a cut from SO sales.

Still, nothing that we didn't know.
If Sony really wanted they could just do small optimizations to the game (better shadows / AF / AA, whatever) and release a remastered version on Ps4 and bypass MS publishing rights.

If Sony really wanted they could just do small optimizations to the game (better shadows / AF / AA, whatever) and release a remastered version on Ps4 and bypass MS publishing rights.
think we have had enough paid remasters from sony this gen...would much rather a proper follow up

ANIMAL1975

Think they'll release the first one on ps4 and then think about making part 2.
I'm hoping for a Resistance game/new ip after spiderman2.
Well, thinking about it, if Sony wants to port SO to ps4 just has to contract a small studio to get it done, leaving Insomniac free to do whatever is they're doing,,,, a new IP or a sequel to a Resistance 😁

And please a remake of fall of man to please.

Is this the definition of getting "cucked" professionally?

Now, I wonder whether people with an Xbox will take this badly or whether they'll acknowledge that the IP never seemed that interesting.

cireza

Sony probably does not give a shit about Sunset Overdrive. The game does not fill the usual criteria of a first party Sony game.

Last edited:

vkbest

Its not just about convincing Xbox/PC owners to get a PS5, Sony has to convince PS4 owners to upgrade. Putting this game on PS4 does nothing to convince that 100m+ install base to upgrade. Its an easy title to fill the early droughts that every console.

If you need convince people to buy PS5 because they couldn't play a game on PS4 so Sony want to sell you a PS5 artificially (a game what could run on PS4), then Sony have a serious problem. PS5 will need 2 or 3 years for getting people buying massive sales like PS4 is doing now. I know there are people like you that want Sony drops PS4 and only make games for PS5.

Maybe you have a reason and Sony will does that, but I think is a suicide on current market, they will lose much sales on PS4 and PS5

Last edited:

quickwhips

I didnt like that game so no loss. Best thing they have done that i liked was spiderman and the models were meh. It just got liked for being like batman and being spiderman.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's next? Do what they did with Mass Effect 2 and release a digital comic telling us the back story to the original? They could release the original as a bonus if they decide to make a sequel. They would have to release the original at a very discounted price considering most people who wanted to play it, probably played it years ago.

Mass Shift

Back then, Insomniac went with MS precisely so they could keep the IP.

Exactly. And finally, someone who actually reads beyond the headlines.

A real test to see if Sony really doesn't care about Sunset Overdrive would be for MS to offer to purchase the IP from them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly. And finally, someone who actually reads beyond the headlines.

A real test to see if Sony really doesn't care about Sunset Overdrive would be for MS to offer to purchase the IP from them.

I don't even think MS cares about it. They were seemingly in no rush to fund a sequel.

But that is not a slight against Insomniac or the game, just their direction and pattern all gen long.

Last edited:
They didn’t really care to make a sequel from it when they had the chance, I don’t think they care too much tbh. If this game gets a sequel, even if it’s exclusive, that’s great. Would hate to see it die.
Listening to some of you guys it almost seems like Microsoft made all this money without a care in the world, they don't care which platform you play on, they don't care about their IPs (not enough to make them as good as Sony or Nintendo does anyway).

Why do they even bother if they don't care about that many things in gaming? They may as well just be a publisher - given how they treat their games they could as well join EA and Activision as far as I am concerned - their games have the same kind of in game transactions, they speak the same language about the gaming's "future" which includes more "loot boxes", "pay to win", "pay to pay", etc. they have more focus on "delivery", and less actual game or story improvements, all their recent pushes go in this direction (despite a few attention grabbing "for the gamers" features like their half backward compatibility scheme).

Given what the studio did after (spider man anybody?) MS should have ordered another Sunset Overdrive, given enough time and budget it would probably have had the place Spider Man PS4 has now in our libraries.

Shagger

Banned
Worst case scenario Sony does nothing with the IP. Even before Sony baught Insomiac Xbox were doing nothing with the IP anyway, so the only way is up.

Top Bottom