• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent Application - Trophies in past-gen trophy-less titles

Sweet if it means easy trophies on PS1/2 games, unless they wanna fuck up the jrpg's with trophies like: train every character to lvl 100 etc

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I doubt they could make them more insanely tedious than the achievements. If I'm not mistaken, you have to hit the level cap for EVERY class.

aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

Fuck it!, I'll try or die in the process

Both would give me a release =D

There are several retro games that already use trainers to track achievements. This seems like just the physical version of that, checking what's read on the storage medium, instead of what's loaded into memory. It's technically different, since you're tracking the resulting action, not the trigger, but they're awfully close.

Andrefpvs

You are right. Title is kinda stupid.

I changed it (still weird imo) but obviously that doesn't change the thread..emm..title.

Maybe a mod can jump in.

Anyways EN not my 1st language - titles can get tricky at times :p

You can PM a moderator and kindly request a thread title change :)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
oh crap. this is going to be a whole new pile of e-mails eh?

Yes

Where are my Platinums James!

No more Italy Vacay's for you, give me those Platinums for older titles

Resistance 1
Tools of Destruction
Quest for Booty

I'm waiting James!

Dunan

Valkyria Chronicles trophies, please.

(Who am I kidding? I'll be playing that game again every few years even if it erases my other games' trophies.)

thelastword

Banned
Good news indeed. I'm thinking all PS3 games would be their priority if they do intend on acting on such a patent. So no more excuses for the likes of Insomniac, but knowing them they would likely put a 10,000 kills trophy in RFOM multiplayer.

Cant wait for these titles to get patched;

50 cent BOS
Modern Warfare
COD 3
Viking BFA
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
TOD
Soul Calibur 4
DMC4

Hell, just patch all already and I'll decide what i want go back to.

Baleoce

How about FFXI?

OH LAWD!

Oh god, please no ; ; Unless they can make it scan your inv. in which case, hell yes. reactivate account: log in, log out. deactivate account. Done.

It's easy to get it done now compared to start of CoP era, but good god I wouldn't fancy doing it all again.

Tagg9

oh crap. this is going to be a whole new pile of e-mails eh?

Haha.

Quite honestly, I would imagine it's more difficult to correlate disc accesses with trophies than it would be to reverse engineer compiled code and manually place triggers (and certainly trickier than going back through original source code).

This would be groundbreaking if it happens.
Japan PS Store has an unbelievable amount of gems for PS1, recently got a lot of good ones for PS2 as well. And then of course the other archive titles like Neo Geo, PC-Engine, etc.

My only curiosity is how this would be officially implemented...would licenses need to be re-aquired and the original owners to rights of the game be needed to implement this into the games, or could it all be done by Sony?

And looking at the extent of amount of titles available, which ones? Just a couple, or the entire library?

Make sure they aren't cheat-able (like PS3 trophies are sadly) and I probably wouldn't even play next-gen titles much for a few years. Now this is one serious early-gen perk for PS4 if that's what it's implemented on. Forget about PS3, that trophy system is ruined.

Haha.

Quite honestly, I would imagine it's more difficult to correlate disc accesses with trophies than it would be to reverse engineer compiled code and manually place triggers (and certainly trickier than going back through original source code).

It sounds quite easy, but it would be limited to things like finishing a level, finishing the game and very predictable things like that.
I'm not into trophies,but it's interesting to see what games people play at least.

It sounds quite easy, but it would be limited to things like finishing a level, finishing the game and very predictable things like that.
I'm not into trophies,but it's interesting to see what games people play at least.

Yeah, that's the only thing I'd be worried about...every game having a sterile, non-challenging "beat the game" list. All the misc. fun challenges and hard accomplishments don't sound like they could be implemented unless they are rigid and in-game, like "reach level 99 with all characters".

If this is implemented, I'd want lists that encompass at least 100% of the tasks in the game. Extra stuff like "juggle 5 balls in 2 seconds" of course couldn't be implemented and I don't mind that as much.

As for just wanting to see what people play...yeah, it was something I thought of long ago. That there really should be some kind of public "game history" that shows all games played on an account, current or PS1, trophy/achievement-supported or not. Maybe even with "time played" like Wii or 3DS (Activity Log) keeps track of; a feature still nowhere to be seen and hopefully on the next-gen consoles. It wouldn't be too hard to implement I'd imagine.

Over two years, and this finally happens.

Incredible how long the process takes, but I'm not complaining. Just give me The Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross, and I'm a happy man.

itxaka

Defeatist
Didnt some emulators had this already for some roms? I kind of remember seeing some news piece about it and thinking that it was cool.

Higher res real time cutscenes LOD....-drooling-

Imagine after this scene

-trophy unlocked, survived Kongol at full health-

I'm still amazed this process actually works. The finer mechanics and skill of developing is something I'll never understand, but I appreciate when they take this long and execute so well.

Ikon

If FF12 were ever given trophies I'm pretty sure I would develop a blood clot in both of my legs for never standing up.
Haha, that is one game I would really like to platinum. I've done everything in it a few times but could do with an added incentive to play it again.

There are some absolutely evil trophies they could put in of they started incorporating limited time to do stuff. Like beating Yiazmat with a tota game time below 50 hours or something. I'm sure it's possible but I think I was at 100 hours last time. Heck the fight in itself takes a long ass time.

Didnt some emulators had this already for some roms? I kind of remember seeing some news piece about it and thinking that it was cool.
I remember Stumpokapow posting screenshots of his FCEUX proof of concept three or four years ago. I wonder if that ever turned into .something.

Stike

We are left wondering now what this patent is being used for exactly.

If there were no plans to support discs, the whole patent idea would be pointless, so they must have thought of supporting discs at least.

When Wired asked for disc emulation support, they received a "no comment", as stated in the other thread. Well... that leaves us with:

- Disc support is definitely on the cards, but it is unknown to what extent

- Trophy support for disc emulation would require at least some kind of support from the publisher/developer to add the patented mechanism to the emulation layer (like defining what trophy will be awarded at what time in the game)

--> this would shrink the list of supported games

... but then again, I am not inclined to believe that Sony would implement a half-assed disc-based emulation in the kind of "50 select games have trophies, all the others have not".

Of course it's nearly impossible to provide trophy support for the whole or almost whole library... Well, it's been in the works long enough. Can't wait what they will show us at PSX about this whole thing!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We are left wondering now what this patent is being used for exactly.

If there were no plans to support discs, the whole patent idea would be pointless, so they must have thought of supporting discs at least.

When Wired asked for disc emulation support, they received a "no comment", as stated in the other thread. Well... that leaves us with:

- Disc support is definitely on the cards, but it is unknown to what extent

- Trophy support for disc emulation would require at least some kind of support from the publisher/developer to add the patented mechanism to the emulation layer (like defining what trophy will be awarded at what time in the game)

--> this would shrink the list of supported games

... but then again, I am not inclined to believe that Sony would implement a half-assed disc-based emulation in the kind of "50 select games have trophies, all the others have not".

Of course it's nearly impossible to provide trophy support for the whole or almost whole library... Well, it's been in the works long enough. Can't wait what they will show us at PSX about this whole thing!

"Disc" could also just be codeword for "ISO" for them you know. It doesn't actually have to be physical disks

Stike

"Disc" could also just be codeword for "ISO" for them you know. It doesn't actually have to be physical disks
The patent application (I am reading it) is intentionally broad in that regard. At some point(s) it refers to "one or more storage media", so the patent covers both downloaded and disc-based games.

Stike

HOLY SHIT YOU CAN WIN A T-SHIRT

It says so in the patent application!!
Look:
patent1.png

patent2.png

Top Bottom