• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: stopping your game play to sell you Soda

muu

Surprised that MS didn't nab something like this earlier. MP load screens and results tabs in CoD would be perfect places to push XP-enabled gamer fuel.

Kyuur

I don't understand why they would need a patent for this... This already happens with flash content (although, more with non-interactive content, but you can still find it in games). The only way I find this appropriate is in F2P versions of games. They could still sell a paid version of say, LittleBigPlanet 7, but also have a free version available to download with ads every x minutes of gameplay. Let's people play their games for free, but they still get to make money. Less hassle than trying to mod their console and play pirated games too.

I'm imaging playing Metal Gear Solid 4 with this implemented! In the middle of a gun fight, everyone on screen pauses when all of a sudden Drebin rolls out with blaring music, chicks dancing in bikinis and tossing everyone a Pepsi! Then Solid Snake opens the can, gives some crappy one-liner about Pepsi, drinks it, joins the dancing bikini girls, and then resumes the gun fight.

Why yes. I would be greatly interested in this!

If it's implemented in a free game (i.e. a game that's normally retail, but there's a free ad supported game), then I'd be cool with it. In fact, I hope we can get free, ad-supported versions of retail games.

Put it in a retail game, and uh-uh, uh-uh, no way. You can put that in a toilet.

see5harp

You guys are missing the point, unlike an Ad during a loading screen, this is perfectly seamless and smooth while the player is at the height of engagement levels. This is absolutely brilliant!!

EDIT: Speaking seriously, Sony is probably just doing this to add to their patent portfolio. It's a smart move, considering how many games are moving to the free to play model. With the patent, they can maybe get a few licensing dollars out of it. In all likelihood, MS would be the first to try this during actual gameplay.

I can't wait to see this shit pop up in games. Gonna be funny watching madden and Call of Duty players get advertised mountain dew while the Fifa players get advertised Jarritos.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
On the one hand, I'd like to think Sony's patenting this simply to prevent this from happening. But basically, the way the industry works is that things must get worse. This will come to pass.

DTKT

However is drawing these is amazing. From the Sony glasses thread.

bIwse.png

see5harp

Why they fuck are people bitching? Its a free service. How fucking dare Microsoft to put adds on a PAID online service.

Yea but the way the advertisements are displayed in the patent is much worse than anything I've seen on either 360 or PS3 up until this point. Imagine having a perfect race going and then the screen fades away to show you an add for Pepsi right in the middle of the final turn. That would infuriate me.

Why they fuck are people bitching? Its a free service. How fucking dare Microsoft to put adds on a PAID online service.

This patent is to literally stop your game, while you're playing, and show you an ad then let you resume. All of MS's dashboard ad bullshit doesn't interfere with the actual playing and you can at least skip straight to the game and avoid it completely. That's why people are fucking bitching holy shit cock balls cunt penis vagina treestump.

onQ123

I actually see some good in this lol

if they use this for PlayStation Suit or free games in Home this could help small time devs

they can let you play their games for free & get money from the ads & if you like the game you can buy it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really love PC gaming, you guys.

Im genuinely surprised that they haven't put tons of ads in loading screens yet.
This concept isn't that bad to me, but you'll quickly have publishers extending the load time just so you can make sure you see the best brand soda.

totowhoa

Banned
I've been waiting for load screens to be partially replaced by advertisements for some time now. This idea is even worse.

Deadbeat

Banned
I really love PC gaming, you guys.
PC gaming already went through this ingame advertising period. It failed. Now consoles get their turn.

But that really is a new step where it stops games mid stream. But after Wipeout on the ps3 I dont expect anything less from Sony.

Isn't this already in Wipeout HD?

Thanks to my good friend Bruce, no (in the US). He made a video proving that the load times were longer when a commercial played, it got picked up by videogame news sites, and Sony took the patched-in ads back out.

...at least at the time. Are they back in again? I haven't played Wipeout HD in a quite a while.

Top Bottom