• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: stopping your game play to sell you Soda

mdtauk

We can only hope that Sony filed this to prevent others from implementing it. Doing a good service for all gamers.

Fuck, this is Sony we are talking about, sorry guys we are doomed!

Why stop at soda? Why not pause my game to sell me a Sony TV instead? Their TV division could seriously use the advertising help.

This sounds like a terrible idea

tkscz

QuanTri.vn--coca-cola.jpg

That is not the best brand

bestbrandsodahd7mj.png

That is the best brand and I must try it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If it's implemented in a free game (i.e. a game that's normally retail, but there's a free ad supported game), then I'd be cool with it. In fact, I hope we can get free, ad-supported versions of retail games.

Nope.

Advertising should never EVER interrupt the gameplay in the way that patent describes it.

I'll just stop playing their ad game and play some other free game that doesn't do that.

That's the thing about free games. There's nothing stopping you from dropping the one you have and picking up another one.

EDIT:
You guys would really be okay with a free game that stopped you in the middle of a fucking race to show you an ad? Really?

Fox Mulder

They should just make games like this and get it over with. Who's with me?

2CYH6.jpg

I demand more games based on real life products. I remember the Chex doom clone, and the shitty mcdonalds platformers. The Sour Patch Kids XBLA game that recently came out was decent.

Where's the modern warfare game that tells us the dark story of the fast food wars, and the rise of taco bell?

Lots of companies have lots of patents. Worry about it when it comes to fruition, which it won't because it's stupid.

Don't companies create patents for royalty reasons as well? For instance say Zynga wants to use this for their latest browser based game then they would have to pay Sony to use this particular type of advert system.

LG bought Zenith and acquired the rights to the ATSC Tuner, which was sort of a big deal since every TV uses that Tuner now.

Anyway, many patents are made by companies and individuals that never see use.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sounds horrible and would make me consider quitting gaming if was widespread. It might just be an effective method to make traditional single player games free-to-play, though.

I liked the way WipEout HD handled in game advertising. Ads during loading screens on billboards in racing/sports games are fine with me but this is a freaking joke.

mdtauk

Yeah, which would be cool.

If gaming became ad supported it'd let us play more video games!

Ad support + without disrupting gameplay = happy gamers, more gamers, more ad impressions

Ad support + gameplay interruption = less ad impressions, less gamers, angry and resentful gamers

This can't be actually coming. I've seen so many insanely stupid patents... usually they just get pushed through as a failsafe.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think they're patenting it so that no one else will do it because they werent planning on actually doing it so they're actually PROTECTING us.

yeah, thats it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well...as someone who used to deal with patents/trade-marks

This is only a publication. It means to tell others that Sony is applying for this particular patent (I agree it's friggin retarded), but it doesn't mean they'll automatically get it.

That said, a lot of examiners can be pretty stupid with regards to technology and a good patent agent/lawyer working for a company with a lot of money can pull pretty much everything off.

As for stupid patents...there's a real patent on a method on how to exercise a cat using a source of life, I'm not kidding.
There's also a patent for a method of swinging on a swing. Yup...serious...

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
i think they're patenting it so that no one else will do it because they werent planning on actually doing it so they're actually PROTECTING us.

yeah, thats it.
They patented this to get a cut from whoever does actually do it. Which will then require more ads to make up the difference.

onQ123

Well...as someone who used to deal with patents/trade-marks

This is only a publication. It means to tell others that Sony is applying for this particular patent (I agree it's friggin retarded), but it doesn't mean they'll automatically get it.

That said, a lot of examiners can be pretty stupid with regards to technology and a good patent agent/lawyer working for a company with a lot of money can pull pretty much everything off.

As for stupid patents...there's a real patent on a method on how to exercise a cat using a source of life, I'm not kidding.
There's also a patent for a method of swinging on a swing. Yup...serious...

& if I catch you using my patented swing Billy I'm going to kick your ass.

Ad support + without disrupting gameplay = happy gamers, more gamers, more ad impressions

Ad support + gameplay interruption = less ad impressions, less gamers, angry and resentful gamers

If its f2p or at a discounted price I have no issue with ad breaks. I watch TV and get by just fine.

BeesEight

I don't understand how this is even acceptable in a free to play game. Pausing you mid-action so they can flash an advertisement at you? Throwing ads on loading screens was asinine enough.

Do not want.

soultron

Banned
Yep, fuck this shit. I really hope this is one of those patents that doesn't get used.

Just do product placement in places where it doesn't feel out of place, like in a sports game, and I don't give a shit. In fact, that makes those games more realistic. Or do something clever like dnL.

Fuck this "pausing the game to peddle you shit" noise though. I'm not paying for that.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If this happens in free games, demo's, or trail games and shit.. I don't have much of a problem.

But in games I've purchased? Oh HEEEEEEEELL NO! :|

JaseMath

I could stomach the ads during WipEout only because it was during loading and because I got that game for free due to Sony's PSN fuck up. If this shit happens during gameplay - especially in a game I've paid for - that's some fucking bullshit.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I would download a free version of Uncharted 3 with this stuff in the middle

Otherwise nope

Yagharek

If its a f2p game this is fine.

Or ad supported.

If I could buy a game for half the price with ad breaks, I would.

This is the kind of attitude that ruins gaming entirely.

"If I could buy extra bits for a game I would" = publishers cutting out heaps of content to sell via microtransactions and DLC packs leading to scams like EA Sports and Asura's Wrath.

"If I could buy a game for half the price with ad breaks I would" = sooner or later, there will be no other option but to buy games with intrusive ads in them, but MSRP will still be $60 or whatever inflation lifts it to.

I'm going to remind you of this post in 2016.

This is the kind of attitude that ruins gaming entirely.

"If I could buy extra bits for a game I would" = publishers cutting out heaps of content to sell via microtransactions and DLC packs leading to scams like EA Sports and Asura's Wrath.

"If I could buy a game for half the price with ad breaks I would" = sooner or later, there will be no other option but to buy games with intrusive ads in them, but MSRP will still be $60 or whatever inflation lifts it to.

I'm going to remind you of this post in 2016.

Shrug. I don't mind ads if it gets me something for cheap. If its the same price, I'll complain when applicable.

Yet another "feature" that'll turn any console or game into a never-buy in my book if implemented.

I remember a time when next-gen used to stir up feelings of excitement. With the way things have panned out now-a-days though, it mostly just brings up dread.

relaxor

what?
we don't 'waggle style' control our characters to drink in video games, bravo Sony. next I suggest the 'American Standard' urinal peripheral/action

The first time an advertisement interrupts my game play so as to try and pitch a product, I am going to turn off that game and return it. If the video game industry comes to the point where it prevents that too I will use the disc for skeet practice.

Why people are so excited ia beyond me. Sony has thousands of patents that they do nothing with. This is another to add to the list. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Top Bottom