• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: stopping your game play to sell you Soda

kerrak

Kudos? Seriously?

They want to implement ads that essentially freeze your game for the duration of said ad. That ad could pop up as you're fighting the last boss in a game, it could pop up in multiplayer (heavens forbid), it could and will, in all likelihood, pop up at the most inopportune time and go on to ruin whatever game you happen to be playing.

A plague on Sony's house if they ever implement this.

Kudos in the sense of anticipating other companies in a scheme otherwise inevitable.
And i repeat i see no problem if it's for free games, quickly skippable and non climax interrupting.

magawolaz

Come on, it's just a patent, big company come up with new patents every week.

Still, don't want it. But I'm ok with f2p games.

ant3b

They should advertise coke in games anyway but actually with real world objects.. eg i can shoot a can of coke off the table or pick it up.. same for any object.. hell even a hotpoint washer... haha

Tellaerin

Kudos in the sense of anticipating other companies in a scheme otherwise inevitable.
And i repeat i see no problem if it's for free games, quickly skippable and non climax interrupting.

You really believe crap like this is inevitable? That's pretty fatalistic.

And I repeat: Did you actually read the patent description? Even if the ad itself can be skipped after 5-10 sec (and there's no indication that this'll be the case), what about the sudden slow-mo kicking in before and after the ad, and the forced rewind after the ad plays? When is this 'non-climax-interrupting' in, say, a racing game? Imagine playing Wipeout, and being subject to that. When is it not going to blow your groove?

Gravijah

to be fair, i would expect something like this to be used in free versions of games. i don't see ads like this being in full games.

shink

I'm guessing this will just be for free games, with the ability to purchase the paid version without the annoying ads.

I feel like we'll be seeing a lot more ad supported games in the future. I'm waiting for Doritos The Game, where you get to pick your flavoured Dorito and fight your way through the human body.

operon

Instead of charging you for online multiplayer, Sony is going to interrupt your play with ads. hmmm call of duty and preparation h

Odrion

Banned
Good. I hope this means Sony will sue to the hell out of anyone else that tries to pull this sort of shit.

At least this evil is contained to one, negligible part of the market.

GOLD5

Neo Member
I'm Commander Sheperd and this is my favorite thread on NeoGAF!

Sneak-King-Gameplay-Screenshot-1.jpg

Seriously theyve been doing this stuff since 2006. You can be sure they won't rush to implement this in racing games. In multiplayer games it wouldn't work and many games are multi only now or co-op only. Everyone would have to stop at once and so it would separate the payer and non payers into two groups that couldn't play each other.. In a shooter this could work in the post game screens..

splintercellwebad.jpg

Dead Man

So that Sony's competitors don't steal what is sure to be a gamechanging, industry-leading, innovative, consumer-driven and undoubtedly successful strategy from the metageniuses at Sony Corporation.

I mean, when potential consumers discover the convenience, entertainment and masterful implementation of advertisements that suspend your purchased game, try to sell you something, and eventually restore control of your purchased console to you after a predetermined amount of time, the market will flock to the Playstation Family in droves to experience such a graceful combination of gaming and product-exposure educational infomercials.

If any console can do this, then the mass exodus of gamers to Sony due to this remarkable feature will not occur.

That's why we have patents, simple really.

LOL, outstanding response.

Edit: But yeah, not sure why this needs a patent or is even patentable. Unless there is something tricky in the implementation.

kerrak

You really believe crap like this is inevitable? That's pretty fatalistic.

And I repeat: Did you actually read the patent description? Even if the ad itself can be skipped after 5-10 sec (and there's no indication that this'll be the case), what about the sudden slow-mo kicking in before and after the ad, and the forced rewind after the ad plays? When is this 'non-climax-interrupting' in, say, a racing game? Imagine playing Wipeout, and being subject to that. When is it not going to blow your groove?

I did read the description, and yes, i'm fatalistic. But at least i don't close my eyes on how the economics of gaming must look for income.
And no, i don't like any form of "F2P" scheme. I don't like coins, i don't like to wait, i don't like ads and i don't like an avatar identical to another thousand of avatars. This is why i only play "Pay2Play" games and very rarely buy DLC.

I'm sure i won't be playing them, and you can bet you won't be playing any paying game with this crap going on.

But i don't see how this is that different from other systems to make free products happen. People buy coins, buy avatars, wait to play, and listen to ads in between spotify songs, and will be happy to play this type of content if it is free and acceptably unintrusive.

i.e. how many times are you going to see an ad, and how long will be those pauses? This will be the real deal maker/braker for the people.

I only thought that it was funny the "marketing wrecktrain" that is Sony did beat Zynga, MS and other "marketing masters" in their own turf, and this is all i said.

Majanew

Banned

Seriously theyve been doing this stuff since 2006. You can be sure they won't rush to implement this in racing games. In multiplayer games it wouldn't work and many games are multi only now or co-op only. Everyone would have to stop at once and so it would separate the payer and non payers into two groups that couldn't play each other.. In a shooter this could work in the post game screens..

splintercellwebad.jpg

Ads have been in games earlier than 2006, and it's never been done where it pauses your game to interrupt you with an ad, which is what this patent talks about. Games better become very cheap if this were to happen. Like free!

onQ123

splintercellwebad.jpg

ads playing as you respawn

Oppo

I do think it would be interesting if they use this to create some sort of Heavy Rain or Alan Wake or LA Noire quality/type game that is free to play, but with commercial interruptions like TV.

Tellaerin said:
Imagine playing Wipeout, and being subject to that.

Well, not the same thing exactly, but I remember Red Bull ads on trackside billboards and loading screens in Wipeout XL. Yes on PS1. Those were pretty much seamless. Red Bull wasn't for sale in Canada at the time, I just thought it was a funny world detail that Psygnosis had made up.

Tellaerin

Well, not the same thing exactly, but I remember Red Bull ads on trackside billboards and loading screens in Wipeout XL. Yes on PS1. Those were pretty much seamless. Red Bull wasn't for sale in Canada at the time, I just thought it was a funny world detail that Psygnosis had made up.

I remember those, too. They didn't bother me because they meshed with the aesthetic of the world.

I'm not a fan of in-game advertising by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think I'd be so adamantly opposed to it if it was approached in a more creative, less obnoxiously intrusive fashion. As an example, for a long time now, I've imagined the possibility of ad placement for real-world brands in a Blade Runner-esque cyberpunk game. Rather than just plopping existing billboards and such into the game wholesale, advertisers would work with the developer to give the logo fonts, taglines, etc., a futuristic slant that fits with the setting. You could do the same thing with product placement when it comes to the gear the player's character uses, where you might have a mix of setting-specific and real-world brand name items available for purchase. So long as it's not incredibly obnoxious, I can live with it.

Unfortunately for everyone, I'd say this patent falls squarely into the 'incredibly obnoxious' category. :s

Seems to be a line missing for some people, between having a billboard in a game world (big deal), or actual brand names on in-game items (why shouldn't my character have a Magnum?), and actually watching the same State Farm insurance commercial that you'd see on TV before you get to play your game again.

For those who don't know, Sony has already done this, in Wipeout HD (it's been mentioned). Thanks to my friend and this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM

they pulled those ads back out of the game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Obviously people seem against this. But how much less would games have to cost for you to go along. Half price game plus ads sounds fine to me. Of course with the option to pay the difference to get rid of the ads later.

There is no situation in which I would be okay with this.

There are plenty of high quality free games out there that don't do this sort of nonsense, so I'd just play those instead.

Seems to be a line missing for some people, between having a billboard in a game world (big deal), or actual brand names on in-game items (why shouldn't my character have a Magnum?), and actually watching the same State Farm insurance commercial that you'd see on TV before you get to play your game again.

This patent is actually for stopping you wherever you are mid-gameplay, like in the middle of a race, and then showing you an ad, then restarting the gameplay.

Even TV shows wait for the end of a scene and don't just randomly pause the show mid-sentence to show you a pepsi ad.

Slime

Banned
Wonder if this ties into that rumored Gaikai functionality. Regular PSN streaming is ad-supported, while PSN+ is ad-free. Or something.

Either way this is shitty and I hate it.

This patent is actually for stopping you wherever you are mid-gameplay, like in the middle of a race, and then showing you an ad, then restarting the gameplay.

Even TV shows wait for the end of a scene and don't just randomly pause the show mid-sentence to show you a pepsi ad.

Yes, I realize that, and it's a ridiculous idea. I'm just surprised by the assumptions that Sony would never put this sort of thing in a "normal" game when they've already done something similar. I hope they won't, but I don't think it's safe to assume anything. They've obviously put some effort into this type of thing.

Obviously people seem against this. But how much less would games have to cost for you to go along. Half price game plus ads sounds fine to me. Of course with the option to pay the difference to get rid of the ads later.

I would be okay if the price is lower too. But knowing Sony, they'll just sell you the game 70€, and sell you a 10€ "no ads" pass on the PSN. If they're nice, they'll make a bundle with some horrible DLC season pass or something.

Haunted

because interactive pop-up ads on the internet are so effective and well-liked.

ZAP THE MONKEY TO WIN A MILLION DOLLARS

AndyD

aka andydumi
Keep this in mind with the gaikai rumor.

Imagine a plan where you play games for free if you watch commercials every half hour or an hour.

Hmm, not sure what I think. Cool to try a game I guess, then pay to remove ads?

Haunted

If it's ad-supported? Would have to be free, obviously. Ubi tried this (full, ad-supported games) with PoP Sands of Time, Far Cry, Ghost Recon and Rabbids back in '07.

To be fair to Ubisoft, that meant brand logos in loading screens and menus, not actively disrupting gameplay to show you an ad like this seems to be. They should pay me to watch their ads.

mooreupp

Not that this is a big deal, but wasn't this title originally pop.

(Not a huge deal, but pop vs. soda is one of those pet peeves of mine. Most the country has the used the word pop, but California and New York didn't and thus TV didn't and slowly its switching the rest of us. I'll always be a pop drinker, not a soda drinker). :)

This patent isn't going to be applied any time soon, if ever. Like many people have said before, companies get patents for whatever bullshit they can think of all the time, just in case anyone who might want to come up with the idea will have to go through them first. Monetization in games has gotten shitty to the point where it's not completely ridiculous to think someone is going to attempt this, so Sony's staking the claim first, either to kill it off (probably wouldn't happen. Too "noble" for a company) or get money from the idea if it becomes a trend (much more likely), but I really don't see the existence of this patent as a telltale sign of what is to come from Sony.

LOL, outstanding response.

Edit: But yeah, not sure why this needs a patent or is even patentable. Unless there is something tricky in the implementation.

Patents don't need "something tricky" for them to be patentable. Nintendo's recent "Super Guide" patent is literally just a staff ghost dressed up as a "help guide", there's nothing tricky about it.

Not sure why this needs a patent or is even patentable.

Unless there is something tricky in the implementation.

That's what I'm thinking - how is this patentable?

"Ook gais, listen to this - game pauses and it shows an ad!

Free moneeee!
"

If some F2P MMO on PC actually has to pay royalties to Sony for this then CONSIDER MY ASS KICKED AND NAME TOOK!

*spawns and runs out into the middle of a multiplayer battle*

Guise! Guise! How can I help? Oh, I see a big group of enemies!

*throws grenade that kills half of own team*

*Snickers ad pops up*

Need to get away?

Doorman

Brawndo's got what plants crave.

hQwqG.jpg

It's got electrolytes!!

I could really see this playing along with the whole cloud rumor in the other thread. Basically if Sony puts all of this together they're looking to create sort of the "Youtube" of gaming?

It's not the worst possible thing in the world if they can actually use it to keep game prices low (although it would really hurt some experiences), although I would hope that they don't actually put giant text stating GAME PLAY IS ABOUT TO PAUSE over the top of the screen. A small icon of the Best Brand Soda will do.

I personally would never buy any game that used this, but I don't have faith that if this was a feature in, say, Modern Warfare 4 that the masses would restrain themselves, because people as a whole are retarded. And thus it will succeed.

I personally would never buy any game that used this, but I don't have faith that if this was a feature in, say, Modern Warfare 4 that the masses would restrain themselves, because people as a whole are retarded. And thus it will succeed.
What if *every* game does this by virtue of the system's firmware?

Toppot

Being used in multilayer when you respawn, or while something is loading, though annoying, wouldn't be the worst thing. As people have said to use it in a f2p or even a cheaper model would be ok.

It's ashame that Sony/people are just reusing other media's techniques (In this case a TV shows breaking in programming to serve ads) rather than come up with a way to serve advertising using the strengths of games as a media and the unique opportunities it allows.

Jibbed

Fuck, I can see this already in Call of Duty.

Instead of a 'Press X to Respawn' screen, you have 5 seconds of 'THIS DEATH WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY COCA-COLA'.

rpmurphy

Lots of web games already have one ad run before the game is loaded, so it could work here. They just need to target real products that a large number of gamers actually have interest in: fast food, snack food, action movie trailers, J-List products, etc...

Play via Gaikai for free, but with ads? That's the only scenario this would make sense indeed.
Yup....pretty much guaranteed, slowing down the gameplay video and stopping is necessary to display other video (bandwidth issues in streaming video of the game). Notice the Cloud in the patent.

onQ123 Wow, lots of good finds. That's how many Sony patents you've found this week and since Jan 2012? E3 might have many spectacular announcements.

TTP notice the updated face Recognition patent, head tracking and depth camera patent. Tie those together with OpenMax 1.2 published in Feb (camera, streaming video support, free video codec) and Khronos stating that AR is targeted to Sept 2012.

Top Bottom