• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: stopping your game play to sell you Soda

Horrible idea , why would I want to watch an ad in the middle of my game, I've already got limited time to play these days.
I imagine it'd be like castlevania : Simons quest where it pops up in a square and plays

I know it's a patent X not true but who knows man, anything can happen.

Unless its offered in a free to play knack version I wouldn't mind, that's when it's acceptable ;)

Whompa02

Would it qualify as a gamer themed avatar now?

bjKWWoI.jpg

onQ123

Just tweeted @yosp about this being unacceptable in any form.

[EDIT] wtf at this necro-bump

When people are broadcasting live it's like a show so having ads that can help pay for the servers & also pay the streamers is very acceptable.

wow an entire chip dedicated to advertising. crazy/sad times we live in.

It's not just for Advertising it's used for the game broadcasting & media playback & so on also.

onQ123

Horrible idea , why would I want to watch an ad in the middle of my game, I've already got limited time to play these days.
I imagine it'd be like castlevania : Simons quest where it pops up in a square and plays

I know it's a patent X not true but who knows man, anything can happen.

Unless its offered in a free to play knack version I wouldn't mind, that's when it's acceptable ;)

It's not for the person playing the game it's for the people watching you play the games.

Live From PlayStation is interactive & already has ads. it's already happening.

onQ123

Say your Call Of Duty clan becomes well known in the gaming world & people always watch you play. a company like Mountain Dew could sponsor your clan & have their logos on your team & billboards when people are watching your broadcast.

Also on the other end a indie dev can sell their game for a cheaper price & make money through in game ads. or games like Sing Star can now allow broadcasting because the ads can pay for the media licence like Spotify.

Greddleok

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they're patenting it so no one else has it...for the future.
However, if this became a reality, you can guarantee I'm dumping my PS4 instantly.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just imagine you're playing an open world game and you stumble upon a cave. You start exploring, run into some baddies on the way which you slay. Finally you reach the end, and a locked treasure chest sits before you. You check your inventory and see you've got three lockpicks left. It's a difficulty of hard but you go for it. First lockpick snaps. Second lockpick snaps, but you almost had it!! Your last lockpick and you succeed! What glorious gear awaits? Surely a fine weapon or piece of armor? Maybe a rare amulet!

You crack open the chest, as the room lights up. It's...it's...a jar of Ovaltine???? The fuck Sony?!!!

li bur

You're in the middle of playing Dark Souls 3 and encountering one of the hardest boss in the game. You've managed to roll around and wound him time after time, again and again. But you didn't do it unschated. You've only got 20% of your health left. You managed to dodge roll one of his attack and you're ready to get the killer blow and suddenly...

MOUNTAIN DEW! ALL HAIL DORITO POPE!

And Then it goes back to your game and you found that...

YOU DIED

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Hello I'm Drake from the Uncharted series. When you go off on as many adventures as I do you need a shoe that can deliver unparalleled comfort. That's why I wear Sketchers.

The Lamp

I don't think most soda companies would take advantage of this. It doesn't feel like a genuine avenue to promote your product and it would just damage the value of your brand by associating it with gaming inconvenience. But patents are nice, I guess.

onQ123

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they're patenting it so no one else has it...for the future.
However, if this became a reality, you can guarantee I'm dumping my PS4 instantly.

It's happening so you can send me your PS4.

it's not affecting your game play it's the people who are watching your broadcast that's seeing the ads.

onQ123

You're in the middle of playing Dark Souls 3 and encountering one of the hardest boss in the game. You've managed to roll around and wound him time after time, again and again. But you didn't do it unschated. You've only got 20% of your health left. You managed to dodge roll one of his attack and you're ready to get the killer blow and suddenly...

MOUNTAIN DEW! ALL HAIL DORITO POPE!

And Then it goes back to your game and you found that...

YOU DIED

The ads is not for the person playing the game it's for the people watching & interacting with the person playing the game.

Well, it's safe to say I will never buy a game that does something like this. It's not all that uncommon to see this sort of thing of F2P phone games, but then again, those are free and usually garbage.

I have to assume this is the sort of thing that would remain limited to exactly those sort of games, even in a console space, but I certainly wouldn't be playing them. I generally hate advertising in just about every form, and I certainly don't want it injected into my games like a commercial.

In the dark, far-flung future where this is the only way to consume games, maybe I would somehow get over it, but I have my doubts about that. It might well just inspire me to me on from the hobby altogether. Such is the depth of my despise for advertising.

Edit: Aw, this was a bump? Boo. As for that new patent, I look forward to continuing to not watch live-streamers.

Lots of companies have lots of patents. Worry about it when it comes to fruition, which it won't because it's stupid.
Trying to sell a console for $600 was arguably stupid, too.

As was selling a revised version of a handheld platform for $250 when at the time, the complementary platform was $50 more.

I'm surprised this can even be patented, it is all over F2P games. If this ever happened in a purchased game I would be mad about it.

onQ123

I'm surprised this can even be patented, it is all over F2P games. If this ever happened in a purchased game I would be mad about it.

It's for the interactive live broadcasting.

People watching the game can interact with the person playing the game. ads will sometime interrupt the viewers. there is a timer that comes up & let the viewer know when the ad is going to be shown.

"Before you go onto the next level of level of Rise of the Tomb Raider, here's a message from our sponsor..... Durex Condoms!"

Please Sony, do this. Obviously I'll sell my PS4 the moment you announce this but I'd still like to see the glorious fallout from such a dumbass concept.

AyanFaust

Banned
If I'm understanding that claim right, it was filed in 2006? like ten years ago when the PS3 first came out? Very weird patent, and it would be terrible if it came to actual paid games, but I'm assuming the fact that it hasn't been done in ten years(again, if I'm reading it right), may mean they probably think it wouldn't go over well either.

onQ123

If I'm understanding that claim right, it was filed in 2006? like ten years ago when the PS3 first came out? Very weird patent, and it would be terrible if it came to actual paid games, but I'm assuming the fact that it hasn't been done in ten years(again, if I'm reading it right), may mean they probably think it wouldn't go over well either.

Live From PlayStation lets the viewers interact with the person broadcasting the game & sometimes it will show ads in the middle of broadcasts & it will show a timer to let you know that the game is going to be interrupted to show you a ad. it's already happening.

modalife

Banned
I hope this is not true. I already get pissed off when I see Forza ads before watching a Twitch stream on my XBO. Damn annoying.

Top Bottom