• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: stopping your game play to sell you Soda

Satchel

Banned
All of a sudden Xbox Live doesn't look so bad huh?

But seriously, this would apply to F2P games if Sony did have the balls to implement it.

Right?

Izick

I would become a PC gamer if this happened on the consoles, but I don't think it will, at least not for regular games.

onQ123

I think it's happening people!

But not as you might think.

It's Live From PlayStation the interactive ads that's being added to the Ustream & Twitch broadcasts. right now PlayRoom is the only game that lets the viewers interact with the game but I'm sure there will be more games that will be interactive from the viewer side & the patent is for cutting in between the interactions with ads.

NastyBook

I'm sorry, but if I work for a company and kicked myself for not having said company on the groundfloor for SHIT like that, I deserve to be fired out of a cannon into the sun.

onQ123

Also I noticed that only the EA games & PlayRoom is doing the interactive ads right now.

Edit: nevermind just got one for NBA2K16 too.

Get fucked Sony! As the Ps4 being the only thing keeping me interested in gaming atm this better not happen or i'm done with this hobby.

cyress8

Banned

I think it's happening people!

But not as you might think.

It's Live From PlayStation the interactive ads that's being added to the Ustream & Twitch broadcasts. right now PlayRoom is the only game that lets the viewers interact with the game but I'm sure there will be more games that will be interactive from the viewer side & the patent is for cutting in between the interactions with ads.
Well that is a first for me. The topic creator necro'd his own thread.

On topic though, how often do these ads show up. I do not have a PS4, so limited info on my end. Do they show like regular ads?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Perhaps they're going to release a commercial version of PSNow. If you are willing to accept regular adverts, you get to play for free.

onQ123

Well that is a first for me. The topic creator necro'd his own thread.

On topic though, how often do these ads show up. I do not have a PS4, so limited info on my end. Do they show like regular ads?

The Ustream broadcast seem to have them before every video now then it will show another ad later on. I'm just starting to seem them before the Twitch streams now,

onQ123

Another advertising patent this one is for user selected ads for video games.

I would also say that this is for the game broadcasters. people are always watching these streams so ad companies would love for a top streaming to endorse them & have their products advertised in a stream.

DISPLAY OF USER SELECTED ADVERTISING CONTENT IN A DIGITAL ENVIRONMENT

Abstract
A system and method for placing an advertisement in a digital environment based upon a user's choice, subject to certain predetermined parameters, is disclosed. Through the method, a user is assigned a rating based upon, for example, his performance in a game. A list of advertisements which correspond to that rating is displayed to the user, who may then select a desired advertisement from the list. The selected advertisement is then displayed in the digital environment. Reports may be generated based upon the advertisements selected and the number of selections and/or impressions (e.g., uses or viewings) by the user, which may be sent to advertisers.

PlayRoom in now looking like a test ground for things like this.

486042557.jpg

onQ123

The secondary chip in the PS4 was dubbed Media Con short for media controller & this patent show that it will also be used for handling ads in games.

Media control 610 is responsible for handling various audio and video formats including advertisements.

aYvjxGx.png

5V8WjkG.png

Hi6eZqc.png

4ILEChd.png

3hnu8Zm.png

jkni8MV.png

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
wow an entire chip dedicated to advertising. crazy/sad times we live in.

Shadders

It's ok guys, Sony is just patenting this so that if someone else tries to do it they can use their patent to stop them and keep us safe from in-game-advertising.

#4theplayers

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's a good way for me to sell my PS4 and all 20-30 games Sony. I would be shocked if Sony is that dumb though.

Read the date.

Patents are patents. Sony has tons of patents for console online only DRM dating back to PS2 era, it doesn't mean anything.

Acceptable...

But not in the middle of gameplay.

using the racing game example, I'm happy to watch an ad AFTER the race, or if I go into the pits. not DURING it!

Top Bottom