• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

FelipeMGM

Probably, but the Savage Starlight dream will never die until it's a reality, that name is just way too good to be just a comic in The Last of Us universe. I do think ND will go back to a 2 team studio though and might have something ready within the first 2 years of the PS5.

Edit: I agree ^
Though also baseless, just assuming Straley will get his own team when he returns and get to working on making ND's new IP to take Uncharteds spot.

they are already

Kurt Margeneau was lead game designer for Uncharted 4 and now its the director for The Lost Legacy. Josh Scheer was ND co-writer for a bunch of projects, and now he is the lead writer for TLL. And they hired Shaun Escayg to be creative director on the project too.

And they also brought in full time Halley Gross to assist Druckmann on the script for The Last Of Us Part II since Josh will be on The Lost Legacy (and whatever projects this new leads take after that)

So yeah, they have two creative teams already

Major AAA games by Sony don't get early trademarks. As of 2015, they've been careful with trademarks nowadays to only surface them after reveal.

yeah something like that. Death Stranding trademarke surfaced like 5 hours before the keynote last year

sorry for not answering to some of you that pointed out mistakes or lack of studios/infos in the OP (during the last 2-3 weeks). Came back from the holidays and will fix that !

Eggbok

- Dreams is the game that I think will bomb hard as it has nightmare written all over it and if it does, Sony should sell/shut down Media Molecule simply because they never seem to want to make a game and instead prefer to make tools for the gamer to make the game themselves.

There is so much wrong with this post. You are very misinformed and very sad. You want people to lose their job because they don't make the same games as everyone else?

Im not a fan of MM (slight correction - LBP, I'm not a fan of. It could have been so much more... ) but I'm lookign forward to Dreams; especially in PSVR mode.

I have a copy of tearaway for PS4 that I know I should get into as I know i'd love it. Need to sit down with it.

FelipeMGM

yeah, I think that Western art was/is for some VR thing

The train is on all the arts we saw which could mean its the setting of the game and this art here makes me think it some VR shooter of some kind. Some on rails stuff maybe

c1uIZqv.jpg

they are already

Kurt Margeneau was lead game designer for Uncharted 4 and now its the director for The Lost Legacy. Josh Scheer was ND co-writer for a bunch of projects, and now he is the lead writer for TLL. And they hired Shaun Escayg to be creative director on the project too.

And they also brought in full time Halley Gross to assist Druckmann on the script for The Last Of Us Part II since Josh will be on The Lost Legacy (and whatever projects this new leads take after that)

So yeah, they have two creative teams already

yeah something like that. Death Stranding trademarke surfaced like 5 hours before the keynote last year

Also Bruce Straley is not directing Part II, I think he is still on vacation for the whole year but he'll probably step in after Lost Legacy, maybe even directing another game? We'll see.

Also Bruce Straley is not directing Part II, I think he is still on vacation for the whole year but he'll probably step in after Lost Legacy, maybe even directing another game? We'll see.

this is what Sony said

On Sunday morning, Sony sent over a statement: “Bruce recently decided to take some much deserved time off after shipping two critically acclaimed games in the last few years. He’s looking forward to returning to the studio soon and jumping back in on his next project.

he will probably be the director of Naughty Dogs next IP, while Druckman is busy with TLOU2 and the Movie (if it ever comes out) and maybe TLOU 3 after that?

I honestly think Until Dawn should be a one and done thing. The first game had a novel premise that worked out but I don't think a 2nd one will have the same pull.
I think it would be interesting and marketable if the structure was the same, but the characters, setting, and tone were different. You could then sell it on the basis of the talent being fresh and new, with gameplay that still fits streaming well. In the same way Larry Fessenden helped with the first, snag Sam (and Ted) Raimi. They'd be great with lurid, crazy scenes and twists, and could add a thorough dark humor.

Tonky

I feel like Sucker Punch is an incredibly talented studio with a ton of potential. The potential to be an ND-level studio (seriously). They just haven't had their breakout game yet.

Infamous Second Son was promising, but it fell slightly short of being an "excellent" game. A completely new IP could help them make that jump to the next level. Like Uncharted to TLOU, and more recently, Killzone to Horizon.

Dabi

- Dreams is the game that I think will bomb hard as it has nightmare written all over it and if it does, Sony should sell/shut down Media Molecule simply because they never seem to want to make a game and instead prefer to make tools for the gamer to make the game themselves.

MM literally shits out gold and birthed an important and versatile franchise while they were at it. Dreams looks like a game changer just like LBP was in 2008. Not everything in the lineup has to be a super serious story focused third person action game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I will never understand this mindset, and I say so as someone who generally has relatively little interest in Media Molecule's games. I think it's great that Sony continues to house and fund projects like Tearaway and Dreams—games that seek to innovate, to do something new and interesting within the medium.

To me, it's not great because it's projects like these that lead to some studios like MM getting chance after chance yet GG Cambridge gets shutdown after Rigs bombed but yet it was Sony who approved it in the first place? I don't see Dreams as innovative. RPG Maker did what Dreams is trying to do 15 or so years ago. Don't see Dreams as nothing more than a tool set as opposed to an actual game. New and interesting doesn't sell and if you want developers to be successful, you have to do what gives you the best chance at being successful. Outside of Dreams being a $20 digital only PSN title, I don't see it succeeding at all. Instead of tools for the gamer to make a game, why not just develop an actual game so we can play it instead of making it?

There is so much wrong with this post. You are very misinformed and very sad. You want people to lose their job because they don't make the same games as everyone else?

I don't want them to lose their jobs just like I didn't want those at GG Cambridge and Evolution to lose their jobs. My problem is that if Dreams bombs, will MM get yet another free pass while the other two studios I mentioned didn't? DriveClub was bad at launch but Evolution did an amazing job turning the game around and if Sony would have delayed it another year instead of insisting on releasing it, none of those problems would have occurred. GGC develops Rigs due to Sony and then gets shutdown for the game bombing which lets be honest, wasn't a surprise at all regardless of whether or not it's a good game. I don't care what games MM makes but why should they get a free pass if Dreams bombs but yet GGC wasn't even given a chance to develop a PS4 game and instead were stuck with PSVR? To me, that's what's really misinformed and sad. Especially when people don't see the difference. And for the record, I didn't care about Evolution or GGC either but one studio turned DriveClub around and should have been kept around especially when PD takes forever to release a Gran Turismo game and the other studio could have easily developed a good "refreshing" Killzone PS4 game while the main GG studio stays with Horizon. I simply don't agree with the business decisions as it seems like certain studios get a pass yet others don't even though it's Sony who approves the game(s) that gets developed and for what platform.

Floody

they are already

So yeah, they have two creative teams already.

Cool, it's probably a much smaller team though right? ND will have to beef them for when they definitely get working on Savage Starlight.

Do we know who the lead game director is for TLoU 2? Is it just Druckmann taking both Leads?

Do we know who the lead game director is for TLoU 2? Is it just Druckmann taking both Leads?

No clue. Either they're hiding the director until the next round of news cycle + gameplay reveal to reduce the #concern that Bruce isn't working on it... or Neil is going solo this time.

Personally, I suspect Neil will be the solo-director this time round for TLoU Part II, if only because of the difference in language for the announcement credit in ND's blog:

njXNr5V.jpg

JoH8nfx.jpg

Notice the difference? :p

Gradly

Lol maybe you don't know that one of MM employees might be the father (or whatever) of Move and later PSVR which is a completely new tech/business for Sony. The idea is that you never know what happens behind the scenes, a game studio isn't necessarily a game factory, it might be an R&D center working on the next big thing

Undrey

I mean we've basically heard nothing from that for years, and either way it probably won't turn out too hot considering the R&C movie didn't seem great and they have a different VA for Sly, along with the fact that the art style isn't exactly Sly (Murray looks terrible).

We know that neither Sanzaru nor SPP are working on Sly, however. I can't think what other studio could take the reins.

I mean we've basically heard nothing from that for years, and either way it probably won't turn out too hot considering the R&C movie didn't seem great and they have a different VA for Sly, along with the fact that the art style isn't exactly Sly (Murray looks terrible).

We know that neither Sanzaru nor SPP are working on Sly, however. I can't think what other studio could take the reins.

I know, I posted that GIF for the heck of it.

I'm somewhat saddened that Sly is probably no more, but hey, I'm also super excited to see what new stuff SP is working on next. I'm in no hurry for a new Sly game, especially since R&C set the bar pretty high for what I would expect from a new Sly game.

Zukkoyaki

It's pretty obvious that Bruce is taking a nice long sabbatical before coming back to work on Naughty Dog's next big IP for PS5. I'd imagine a guy like him and other higher ups there already have an idea for what it's going to be as well.

As for Media Molecule, honestly I don't think they're going anywhere. They developed one of Sony's signature franchises from the past decade and are inarguably, in my opinion, the most creative team in the PlayStation family. I'm pretty sure Sony understands that they bring an extra flair to the first party ranks. Plus Dreams has "DLC money-maker galore" written all over. The inevitable dedicated fanbase, even if small, is going to be ALL OVER this game.

I do however think Dreams is going to be their last "AAA" game and Media Molecule will become something like what Mojang is for Microsoft. They will operate Dreams as a service and probably port it to PS5 while pumping out smaller indie-style projects every year or two. It fits with their ultra creative design process and mitigates the risk of failure. Since Tearaway was made by 17 people, I believe Media Molecule is 100% capable of operating in this capacity.

Stampy

MM literally shits out gold and birthed an important and versatile franchise while they were at it. Dreams looks like a game changer just like LBP was in 2008. Not everything in the lineup has to be a super serious story focused third person action game.

I just can't see Dreams not being a big and important game that will revolutionize the UGC genre. I have a feeling general public still doesn't know exactly what Dreams is about. But once the game gets out there and the public sees how easy it is just to sculpt stuff, and easily create animations, and also just how fun and intuitive it is to create music with motion, but not in a Wii music way, I just can't see this game not being a huge success among the creative and curious folks... and that sentiment will just spread more and more over twitch and other channels.

I just can't see Dreams not being a big and important game that will revolutionize the UGC genre. I have a feeling general public still doesn't know exactly what Dreams is about. But once the game gets out there and the public sees how easy it is just to sculpt stuff, and easily create animations, and also just how fun and intuitive it is to create music with motion, but not in a Wii music way, I just can't see this game not being a huge success among the creative and curious folks... and that sentiment will just spread more and more over twitch and other channels.
Hey stampy you still doing the dreams analysis videos? They were very informative =)

Elfstruck

Aw men, I want a new Sly game after seeing that GIF. I really hope that Sanzuru is lying and that they are actually working on a new Sly game. Also, I'm looking forward to Straley's next project even more than TLOU II. Take us to space Straley!

Dabi

This E3 better be littered with release dates. FF VII, KH3, God of War, Spider-Man... oh and FromSoftware new game reveal. I'd be pretty happy with that

Stampy

Said it once I'll say it repeatedly ppl sleeping on mm and dreams. Watch

Yeah. When the game finally gets out there, it will surely surprise lots of people how powerful yet simple the creation tools are.

Hey stampy you still doing the dreams analysis videos? They were very informative =)

Thanks. :) Stopped doing them, since I focused on some other parts of my life. But when the game gets out there I definitely plan to get more invested with it again.

To me, it's not great because it's projects like these that lead to some studios like MM getting chance after chance yet GG Cambridge gets shutdown after Rigs bombed but yet it was Sony who approved it in the first place? I don't see Dreams as innovative. RPG Maker did what Dreams is trying to do 15 or so years ago. Don't see Dreams as nothing more than a tool set as opposed to an actual game. New and interesting doesn't sell and if you want developers to be successful, you have to do what gives you the best chance at being successful. Outside of Dreams being a $20 digital only PSN title, I don't see it succeeding at all. Instead of tools for the gamer to make a game, why not just develop an actual game so we can play it instead of making it?

I don't want them to lose their jobs just like I didn't want those at GG Cambridge and Evolution to lose their jobs. My problem is that if Dreams bombs, will MM get yet another free pass while the other two studios I mentioned didn't? DriveClub was bad at launch but Evolution did an amazing job turning the game around and if Sony would have delayed it another year instead of insisting on releasing it, none of those problems would have occurred. GGC develops Rigs due to Sony and then gets shutdown for the game bombing which lets be honest, wasn't a surprise at all regardless of whether or not it's a good game. I don't care what games MM makes but why should they get a free pass if Dreams bombs but yet GGC wasn't even given a chance to develop a PS4 game and instead were stuck with PSVR? To me, that's what's really misinformed and sad. Especially when people don't see the difference. And for the record, I didn't care about Evolution or GGC either but one studio turned DriveClub around and should have been kept around especially when PD takes forever to release a Gran Turismo game and the other studio could have easily developed a good "refreshing" Killzone PS4 game while the main GG studio stays with Horizon. I simply don't agree with the business decisions as it seems like certain studios get a pass yet others don't even though it's Sony who approves the game(s) that gets developed and for what platform.

I feel a lot of this is reading into many events that we don't really know about or simply has a lot of facts wrong and is basing many assumptions on incorrect information.

1) LittleBigPlanet sold very well.
2) Tearaway wasn't a big seller, but it also was made on a much smaller budget for a much smaller platform. So combining both of these points, they're not getting "free pass after free pass," nor do we know what is happening behind-the-scenes.
3) LittleBigPlanet games are games. Not only do they have a single-player/co-op campaign, but the amount of content that is made that you can play is extraordinary. Tearaway is also not a "tools" game.
4) I have yet to read much behind-the-scenes as to why Guerrilla Cambridge closed, so assuming "Sony made them make this and it bombed so they closed it," seems to be jumping to a conclusion without information.
5) DriveClub received a full year delay (it was originally supposed to release at launch and also be available on PS+) and had one of the worst launches in recent memory alongside Arkham Knight's PC launch.
6) Gran Turismo games sell extremely well. Even a December, post-Black Friday, "the PS4 already launched but this came out on the PS3" release of Gran Turismo 6 sold millions.
7) And since we don't know much of the details about Cambridge's closure, we also don't know how good a PS4 game from them would have been. It wasn't long ago that Ready at Dawn developed good PSP games but couldn't make the transition when they made The Order: 1886.

Lifeline

No clue. Either they're hiding the director until the next round of news cycle + gameplay reveal to reduce the #concern that Bruce isn't working on it... or Neil is going solo this time.

Personally, I suspect Neil will be the solo-director this time round for TLoU Part II, if only because of the difference in language for the announcement credit in ND's blog:

njXNr5V.jpg

JoH8nfx.jpg

Notice the difference? :p

What are the chances Naughty Dog turns into a 3 game studio after this. Bruce doing Savage Starlight, The Lost Legacy team doing future smallscale standalone Uncharted adventures, Neil Druckmann doing Last of Us

Or maybe more likely The Lost Legacy team switches over to Savage Starlight once they're done. This will also explain why Bruce Straley is on vacation for now.

AudioEppa

Before playing horizon next week. I'm going to start and finish 2 exclusives in my backlog. inFamous SS/FL and The Order: 1886. After this long time, can't wait to see how I enjoy them.

Kolx

Any idea about Bluepoint? their last game was one year ago. Considering their relationship with Sony, I'd guess their next project is with Sony as well. Demon Souls remaster next e3?

Dabi

Any idea about Bluepoint? their last game was one year ago. Considering their relationship with Sony, I'd guess their next project is with Sony as well. Demon Souls remaster next e3?

That would be crazy... but it would make sense to do it.

I'm really praying they're somehow putting together a SOCOM 2 remaster.

Zukkoyaki

Bluepoint being independent makes it difficult to pinpoint what they're doing. Of what they could realistically be remastering, Demon's Souls makes the most sense to me.

I'm hoping for a Resistance Trilogy, but I'd be happy with Demon's Souls Remaster as well.

I liked Sly 4

it was well done all be it with small little issues

ugh I want another Sly D:

Sly 4 was really great. Sanzaru totally deserve another crack at the series, or maybe even something original for Sony.

What are the chances Naughty Dog turns into a 3 game studio after this. Bruce doing Savage Starlight, The Lost Legacy team doing future smallscale standalone Uncharted adventures, Neil Druckmann doing Last of Us

Or maybe more likely The Lost Legacy team switches over to Savage Starlight once they're done. This will also explain why Bruce Straley is on vacation for now.

Highly unlikely given their current structure. They don't actually have two full teams, they have two lead creative teams and the rest of the studio is moved between the two projects. So unless they went on a massive hiring spree, expanding to three lead creative teams would probably just make those games take longer. Instead of it being 5-6 years between TLOU installments, it'd be 8-9 years.

Plus, they've already said they're done with Uncharted after TLL and I doubt Savage Starlight was ever meant to be a thing like some people want it to be.

I'm sticking with my guess from back in December. Once TLL ships, Kurt Margenau will move over to TLOU2, opening up the game director spot on the other team for Straley once he gets back. So basically this:
Kurt Margenau/Neil Druckmann - TLOU2
Bruce Straley/Shaun Escayg - New IP

Top Bottom