• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Crayon

My old Demons Souls looks a bit shabby by runs smooth ant there are still players online. I wouldn't mind a remaster, tho. Still my favorite of the series.

Joystick

I just can't see Dreams not being a big and important game that will revolutionize the UGC genre. I have a feeling general public still doesn't know exactly what Dreams is about. But once the game gets out there and the public sees how easy it is just to sculpt stuff, and easily create animations, and also just how fun and intuitive it is to create music with motion, but not in a Wii music way, I just can't see this game not being a huge success among the creative and curious folks... and that sentiment will just spread more and more over twitch and other channels.

The problem is that people don't know this is only part of Dreams. They need to be clearer about that. Similar to LBP there will be a full game/campaign to play through. The creation tools are totally optional.

But IF they get this running at 60 fps for PS VR then it will be an amazing experience and likely the go-to game.

kyser73

So, not that Horizon is almost out we can probably expect about 2-4 weeks post-release PR & marketing before the next 'prime' release from Sony first party...

What's next on the roster?

So, not that Horizon is almost out we can probably expect about 2-4 weeks post-release PR & marketing before the next 'prime' release from Sony first party...

GTSport unless the next delay pushes it to later than God of War

I'll be interested to see how much of a push Uncharted The Lost Legacy gets

kyser73

MLB the show(yes it's a prime release come at me never gets recognition)

DOH! Of course it's MLB - being an expat Brit in Australia MLB isn't really a game that features on my radar.

HeisenbergWW62 said:

Yeah I thought probably GTS, but LL is due when, August?

I think Uncharted The Lost Legacy will get a big push and will be out in September. It will also be the only exclusive this Fall besides GT Sport.

The gaming press will go into a frenzy again, saying "no big Fall exclusive from Sony?? Terrible" while somehow still failing to understand Sony's strategy.

DOH! Of course it's MLB - being an expat Brit in Australia MLB isn't really a game that features on my radar.

It's all good Sony kinda doesn't push it enough which they should imo.

LL has no date as of now I imagine Summer my dream would be may full year after the 4

I think Uncharted The Lost Legacy will get a big push and will be out in September. It will also be the only exclusive this Fall besides GT Sport.

The media will go into a frenzy again, saying "no big Fall exclusive from Sony?? Terrible" while failing to understand Sony's strategy.
I agree with the september release date. First week, several weeks before the third party madness starts with Destiny 2 at the end of the month. Also I think Knack 2 will be a September title also. They can have a family friendly bundle with that and Crash this holiday, which would be a great thing to have to counter the Switch in its first holiday

MCD250

MLB the show(yes it's a prime release come at me never gets recognition)
Are there hard dates for any Sony releases after March? Aside from Crash Bandicoot in June, of course. Even smaller/indy-like games and whatnot.

I agree with the september release date. First week, several weeks before the third party madness starts with Destiny 2 at the end of the month. Also I think Knack 2 will be a September title also. They can have a family friendly bundle with that and Crash this holiday, which would be a great thing to have to counter the Switch in its first holiday

Oh yeah, I forgot about Knack 2. That could be this year. Or very early next.

Still wouldn't change the gaming press' harsh and dumb criticism of not enough PS4 exclusives in the Fall that they give every year. Why wouldn't Sony let third parties carry the Fall?

Are there hard dates for any Sony releases after March? Aside from Crash Bandicoot in June, of course. Even smaller/indy-like games and whatnot.
MLB the show 17-march 28th
Parappa remaster-march 28th
Drawn to death-april 4th

Pending confirmed 2017
Knack2
GT sport
Uncharted lost legacy
V what have I don't to deserve this my lord R
Patapoon &locoroco remaster

Sly 4 was really great. Sanzaru totally deserve another crack at the series, or maybe even something original for Sony.

Completely agree they did an amazing job, I'd love to see it.

I think it would be interesting and marketable if the structure was the same, but the characters, setting, and tone were different. You could then sell it on the basis of the talent being fresh and new, with gameplay that still fits streaming well. In the same way Larry Fessenden helped with the first, snag Sam (and Ted) Raimi. They'd be great with lurid, crazy scenes and twists, and could add a thorough dark humor.

I agree, that would be a really cool way to do it.

Man, I so want Savage Starlight to be real. I'm sure TLoU2 will be great, but a ND space opera? Yes, please.

This. ND tackling a third person scifi space opera is like a dream game.

Yes! Some people here have a hate boner for david cage but many of us are excited especially hearing some of the closed door impressions
If Detroit is good that might ease the hate he gets. Idk how people thought of him before Beyond but I know a lot of people thought QD was one of the best devs after Heavy Rain

Icolin

Banned
Detroit's writing will be interesting as its the first Quantic Dream game that isn't written solely by David.

Cage's setups and actual storylines are great, but the dialogue has been the glaring issue in QD games, and Beyond Two Souls really solidified that, so hopefully this'll fix that up. I loved Heavy Rain, but really disliked Beyond Two Souls (although maybe the nonlinear/backwards nature of the narrative clouded my judgement).

Icolin

Banned
I seem to be one of the few people that thought Heavy Rain was kind of boring but liked Beyond Two Souls.

I enjoyed the gameplay and setup of Beyond Two Souls, but the actual storytelling kinda shit the bed for me, in part due to the backwards and out of order sequence of events.

I'm excited for Detroit because it looks to a return to the investigative stuff I loved about Heavy Rain.

kyser73

The gaming press will go into a frenzy again, saying "no big Fall exclusive from Sony?? Terrible" while somehow still failing to understand Sony's strategy.

So much this. Of everything that's likely this year, IMO only GTS has the potential to go up against the 3rd parties this year and not suffer.

MCD250

Drawn to Death is out on April 4th

MLB the show 17-march 28th
Parappa remaster-march 28th
Drawn to death-april 4th

Pending confirmed 2017
Knack2
GT sport
Uncharted lost legacy
V what have I don't to deserve this my lord R
Patapoon &locoroco remaster
Oh word? Drawn to Death is out so soon? That's pretty cool. Feels like it's been a minute since that game was announced.

I really wanna see more of Detroit.
Same. I know a lot of people rag on David Cage, but I really liked Beyond (never played Heavy Rain), warts and all. The writing/dialogue were pretty rough, but I thought the scenario and design were interesting and I loved Ellen Page's performance.

Detroit's writing will be interesting as its the first Quantic Dream game that isn't written solely by David.
The dialogue count must be insane if the branching story paths really pan out

So much this. Of everything that's likely this year, IMO only GTS has the potential to go up against the 3rd parties this year and not suffer.
Those idiots can keep yelling that shit out but it won't matter

SamNW

This weird anger toward the press for their coverage of SIE's release schedule is sort of off-putting. Very little of that coverage has said, "Sony has failed by not putting out any big games this fall." More often, "It's surprising that Sony isn't realeasing any big games this fall" or "It's crazy/interesting/surprising that PlayStation is doing so well during the fall despite SIE not releasing any major games."

In general, the press is adjusting to major publishers pursuing a whole-year release schedule and I don't think it's true that the press has been "unfair" to Sony. SIE is just the most dramatic exemplar of a bigger trend. Of course their strategy gets talked about.

DieH@rd

Banned
Bluepoint does not only work only on Sony titles.

I would not be surprised if they are for example working on remastering both Shenmue games for SEGA, or original Mass Effect trilogy for EA. As for Sony properties, Demon's Souls or complete God of War Collection are the most obvious choice.

This weird anger toward the press for their coverage of SIE's release schedule is sort of off-putting. Very little of that coverage has said, "Sony has failed by not putting out any big games this fall." More often, "It's surprising that Sony isn't realeasing any big games this fall" or "It's crazy/interesting/surprising that PlayStation is doing so well during the fall despite SIE not releasing any major games."

In general, the press is adjusting to major publishers pursuing a whole-year release schedule and I don't think it's true that the press has been "unfair" to Sony. SIE is just the most dramatic exemplar of a bigger trend. Of course their strategy gets talked about.

I don't really think this is true. There's been enough noise about Sony's lack of Holiday titles, like this one

The PlayStation 4 is doing well as the console continues to fortify its foothold this generation, and with exclusive hit Bloodborne just released. But trouble is on the horizon. The are currently no first-party titles officially scheduled for the system during the all-important holiday season. This will surely change, but the company could be in for a rough Christmas.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...at-is-the-ps4-going-to-do-this-christmas.aspx

That Sony has actually had to respond to it

Sony Computer Entertainment UK has no concerns about the PS4's Christmas games line-up, despite going up against the likes of Halo 5, Forza Motorsport 6 and Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One, UK MD Fergal Gara has told MCV.

"I won't go into any detail now," said Gara. "There is plenty for gamers to get excited about already, such as Tearaway for PS4 and No Man's Sky. That's just the start of what is on the table right now. So I don't have any concerns that we will have a lack of strong software for PS4 this peak."

The press has definitely made a big deal out of Sony's lack of big titles during the holiday period. If things are shifting to start to understand having a full year schedule, then i'd argue that's only happening very recently. They've certainly been obsessed with the holiday period for most of the generation. While I think The Last of Us taught Sony a lot as far as positioning goes. I remember some thinking it could underperform because it was being released in a generally dead part of the year and right around E3. Instead it would go on to be ND's best selling game at the time.

We'll when it turns into a Sony has no games campaign I can see why ppl find it absurd

Look how many games failed to generate sales in the fall.

-Gears 4
-Titanfall 2
-Dishonored 2
-Watch Dogs 2

All because they got swallowed up by Cod and Battlefield.

Tonky

I think that it's safe to say that Sony's big hitters will release in the Spring from here on out. I expect God of War in March 2018.

Top Bottom