• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Icolin

Banned
...?

What they've shown of Days Gone is not a tech demo. It was a straight up gameplay demonstration.
That some people also saw behind closed doors being live as well, in addition to having a gameplay demo during the conference.

This kind of ignorance is maddening.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That some people also saw behind closed doors being live as well, in addition to having a gameplay demo during the conference.

This kind of ignorance is maddening.

It's pretty clear what the poster was saying is what they've shown far was buggy or rough only showing a small bit of the game with a lot of the effects turn off.

August seems really soon for days gone, maybe if they've been releasing trailers and more info on the game I'd believe it. If we see Days gone on a game informer cover soon I'll believe it 😂😂😂

It's pretty clear what the poster was saying is what they've shown far was buggy or rough only showing a small bit of the game with a lot of the effects turn off.

What about the E3 demo was buggy? Rough as a perspective I can see, but buggy?

And that's still not a tech demo.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He said they didn't show any gameplay. That is indisputably incorrect.

He said not really as a qualifier. You're getting way too defensive over a completely benign comment. I agree the demo they showed only showed the horde tech and one or 2 other generic things. The difficulty appeared to be turned off as well. We haven't seen much at all in terms of travel, stealth, etc. What they showed was rough and again more of a tech demo for the horde. It was gameplay but not much.

What about the E3 demo was buggy? Rough as a perspective I can see, but buggy?

And that's still not a tech demo.

He's saying it was more like a tech demo. It was buggy in that the animations didn't blend properly and there was a moment or 2 when he literally ran into the horde but he bounced off them since the difficulty was likely turned off.

Eggbok

I'm still not seeing God of War as a Holiday 2017 game for these reasons:
- God of War always comes out in March
- Battlefront II, Call of Duty: WWII, Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Gran Turismo Sport are all around that holiday window

Why would they release such a big title in a window so crowded with the titles that are going to sell the most in this window.

He said not really as a qualifier. You're getting way too defensive over a completely benign comment. I agree the demo they showed only showed the horde tech and one or 2 other generic things. The difficulty appeared to be turned off as well. We haven't seen much at all in terms of travel, stealth, etc. What they showed was rough and again more of a tech demo for the horde. It was gameplay but not much.
I'm not getting defensive over anything lol. I couldn't care less about someone making false statements on the internet. I'm just pointing out it is wrong.

The bold is all that matters and supports what I said. I'll stop here.

Edit - So because a E3 showing had animations issues, that makes it a tech demo? Well, I'll be.

He's saying it was more like a tech demo. It was buggy in that the animations didn't blend properly and there was a moment or 2 when he literally ran into the horde but he bounced off them since the difficulty was likely turned off.

He literally said "didn't really show any gameplay."

They showed plenty of gameplay. Whether one liked what was shown is irrelevant. The demo was straight up gameplay. And animations not blending is not what most people think of when something is called "buggy".

Days Gone had gameplay shown. Not a tech demo.

Zukkoyaki

I would be astonished if either Days Gone or God of War come out this year if for no other reason than the competition this fall being perhaps the toughest we've ever seen.

VanWinkle

Would we say chances are good that we'll get an announcement of Sucker Punch's next game at this year's E3? I feel like it's been enough time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm not getting defensive over anything lol. I couldn't care less about someone making false statements on the internet. I'm just pointing out it is wrong.

The bold is all that matters and supports what I said. I'll stop here.

Edit - So because a E3 showing had animations issues, that makes it a tech demo? Well, I'll be.

He literally said "didn't really show any gameplay."

They showed plenty of gameplay. Whether one liked what was shown is irrelevant. The demo was straight up gameplay. And animations not blending is not what most people think of when something is called "buggy".

Days Gone had gameplay shown. Not a tech demo.

Alrighty that's fine I'm done with this lol. Thank God you're here to do all sorts of fact checks and damage control for Sony.

I'll say again it was clear that he was saying days gone was clearly very early showing a demo with limited gameplay/tech and difficulty turned off. He wasn't trying to insult the game at all.

And for the record tech demo almost ALWAYS have "gameplay". For reference look up the first re-reveal of killzone 2 at GDC

Edit- also ai running into you and seemingly bouncing off you is "buggy" to me.

Alrighty that's fine I'm done with this lol. Thank God you're here to do all sorts of fact checks and damage control for Sony.

I'll say again it was clear that he was saying days gone was clearly very early showing a demo with limited gameplay/tech and difficulty turned off. He wasn't trying to insult the game at all.

And for the record tech demo almost ALWAYS have "gameplay". For reference look up the first re-reveal of killzone 2 at GDC

Don't put words in my mouth. I simply made a correction to his post and you came in here all defensive. I'm not trying to damage control anything nor do I need to. A tech demo and a gameplay demonstration are wildly different things.

I'm not remotely insulted by what he posted. You should try being a little less defensive, maybe you'll stop seeing conflicts where they don't exist.

I'd be really surprised by that, the videos that they've shown of the game have been no more than tech demos and didn't really show any gameplay. That would generally be a sign that the game is a long way off, it looked very good but it did also look very early.

I don't know, the graphics looked really good, yeah it needed polish and was missing stuff like blood ect but it looked like it was coming together nicely and that was a year ago too, also they have been working on the game for a long time now, so it wouldn't surprise me if it made this year, even if it slips past this rumour of August.

I guess we will see the latest build at E3, so we will probably get a better idea of how close it really is, I expect a new gameplay video and release date.

vivekTO

I mean isn't it odd that the person's comment you are trying to "explain" didn't even commented in between yours three posts trying to explain what he was trying to explain(destiny pun :p)

Prediction: Announce at E3, Comes out March 2018.

Same time frame as Second Son announced and came out.

Nah, that'll be God of War's release month. I think Sucker Punch's game is a bit further off. Sony has a bunch of big already announced games that need to come out (God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, Spider-man, etc.).

Dabi

Nah, that'll be God of War's release month. I think Sucker Punch's game is a bit further off. Sony has a bunch of big already announced games that need to come out (God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, Spider-man, etc.).

You may or may not see God of War this holiday season.

I dont expect any first party games this fall for two reasons.

1.They probably would have said so a while ago if they were
2.They have the marketing rights to Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2.

They've had great success releasing their games early in the year, i dont expect that to change.

2.They have the marketing rights to Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2.

They've had great success releasing their games early in the year, i dont expect that to change.

I hope they don't release anything in the fall besides GT Sport, I really want Days Gone and God of War to sell really well, and I don't see that happening in this particular fall.

lol wat. Don't run away and cry "damage control!" just because you're wrong and others pointed it out. Own up to it, that's the only way you'll learn.

Tech demos don't have actual gameplay, they have fake gameplay, there's no systems or mechanics behind what's happening on screen. So no, the Days Gone demonstration was absolutely not a tech demo.

The difficulty was turned off because they didn't want to Final Fantasy XV their demonstration. I don't know why you're bringing that up as if it's a bug, it's a crutch most major E3 demos fall back on.

Prediction: Announce at E3, Comes out March 2018.

Same time frame as Second Son announced and came out.

Second Son was announced at the February PS4 reveal.

AndyVirus

God Of War and Days Gone seems like this years titles.

Not a chance you get both.

I remain sceptical any first party games will come out in the fall outside of GT Sport & Knack 2, and will do until E3. Could lump Lost Legacy into that but there's a small chance it comes out just before.

Bend isn't a very big studio. I think they have less than 100 people. So they may need more time than a typical 200-person AAA studio would need, especially for an open-world game.

Partly why I hope Days Gone is a great game. Not just because I want to play a great game -- duh, lol -- but I hope it would allow the studio to expand.

You're gonna get first party games this fall just like you have the past 21 years. The question is which ones. ;)

As far as unannounced games go, Sony in some ways has made a bigger push through collaboration efforts this gen than last. We've already seen Until Dawn, Ratchet, Bloodborne, The Order and they have upcoming games like Death Stranding, HSG, Spider-Man, Wild, Detroit and so on. So I think when people talk about how most of their studios have announced games, they're ignoring that factor. There are so many options when you factor that in. Maybe some will even get their dream announcement, which is a Sony published game by Platinum.

Zukkoyaki

Sony always does a pretty good job when it comes to collaborations. A lot of people forget just how much of the PS3's exclusive library were developed by non-first party studios. Mainly because Sucker Punch and Media Molecule haven't always been owned by them:

Resistance 1-3
All Ratchets
LittleBigPlanet 1
Infamous 1 and 2
Twisted Metal
Starhawk
Heavy Rain
Beyond: Two Souls
PlayStation All-Stars
Sly 4
Heavenly Sword
SOCOM Confrontation

It's one of the reasons why I wouldn't completely surrender to the idea that we know Sony's entire line-up aside from a couple of games for the rest of the PS4. There's no telling how they could be teaming up with for something cool. Spider-Man PS4 is a perfect example. I know it leaked but who would have ever predicted that one?

Wozman23

Sucker Punch's new IP: Announced at E3, out the day after E3 (because after 3 years, it feels like it has been forever since Second Son and I'm ready now).

Come on, Sony. If you can to it with Entwined, you can do it with AAA.

Sucker Punch's new IP: Announced at E3, out the day after E3 (because after 3 years, it feels like it has been forever since Second Son and I'm ready now).

Come on, Sony. If you can to it with Entwined, you can do it with AAA.

When it comes to releasing a game also available in retail stores, you're likely not going to do it with AAA.

I don't see either game coming out this year, 99% convinced it won't be the case.

But GOW went Alpha earlier this year. So the year will basically be spent polishing everything... I think they could have it ready in time for the holidays. Though they may hold it off to March just because thats when they release God of War games.

Wozman23

When it comes to releasing a game also available in retail stores, you're likely not going to do it with AAA.

As a guy who worked in retail for a while, I know it wouldn't work logistically with shipping and such, plus it would undoubtedly leak. But a man can dream though. It'd be cool to see someone do that digitally, then bring out the physical edition the next week or so.

February - May seems to be when Sony has been launching their biggest games this generation. That's when I think we'll see God of War released (2018)

FelipeMGM

Just going off the fact that the game has been playable from start to finish since Dec 2016 the latest. Purely Speculation :)

That does not necessarily mean its far ahead though. It could be a version featuring only stock assets and very crude animations.

But GOW went Alpha earlier this year. So the year will basically be spent polishing everything... I think they could have it ready in time for the holidays. Though they may hold it off to March just because thats when they release God of War games.

Sure it could, I'm just basing my belief in that Sony haven't released a single blockbuster game this gen on fall, but it could happen.

Anyway, I just read that a retailer leaked a possible launch date for Days Gone for August 22 this year... have people talked about that here?

Zukkoyaki

Sure it could, I'm just basing my belief in that Sony haven't released a single blockbuster game this gen on fall, but it could happen.

Anyway, I just read that a retailer leaked a possible launch date for Days Gone for August 22 this year... have people talked about that here?

Yeah we have. Most of us are skeptical about that date and then the conversation turned into an argument on what constitutes a "gameplay demo." :p

Personally I'm in the no way camp. It would be cool but unnecessary given that Sony already has Gran Turismo, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Knack 2 slated for this year and third party competition this fall is insane.

Yeah we have. Most of us are skeptical about that date and then the conversation turned into an argument on what constitutes a "gameplay demo." :p

Personally I'm in the no way camp. It would be cool but unnecessary given that Sony already has Gran Turismo, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Knack 2 slated for this year and third party competition this fall is insane.

I think it could have one more big game this year but yeah, lot's of big games coming at the end of the year from third parties so it might be unnecessary.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Would LOVE Days Gone on August 22nd but sadly, I don't see it happening. For the rest of 2017, I see Sony releasing Wipeout Collection (June 6th), Crash Bandicoot Collection (June 30th), Knack 2 in the summer, Uncharted The Lost Legacy in September and GT Sport in early November. Don't see Sony releasing any of their other top tier AAA exclusives until Feb/March 2018 and beyond.

Would LOVE Days Gone on August 22nd but sadly, I don't see it happening. For the rest of 2017, I see Sony releasing Wipeout Collection (June 6th), Crash Bandicoot Collection (June 30th), Knack 2 in the summer, Uncharted The Lost Legacy in September and GT Sport in early November. Don't see Sony releasing any of their other top tier AAA exclusives until Feb/March 2018 and beyond.

Slight correction: Sony isn't releasing Crash.

For the rest of 2017, I see Sony releasing Wipeout Collection (June 6th), Crash Bandicoot Collection (June 30th), Knack 2 in the summer, Uncharted The Lost Legacy in September and GT Sport in early November. Don't see Sony releasing any of their other top tier AAA exclusives until Feb/March 2018 and beyond.

What about Hot Shots Golf and Dreams though? They will probably release before 2018.

fatherKratos

Neo Member

From reveal in June to Aug 17...say Oct after delay, would be around 16-17 months...so, may be a 2017 release is possible? They had released TLG last year in this time frame, but i think that was a different scenario, they just could not have delayed it any further.

August 22 wouldn't shock me for Days Gone honestly. No Man's Sky, despite all the negative post-launch hype, did extremely well then. We've only seen it once but what we saw was a pretty extensive demo. It not being at PSX was I think purely because it would have gotten overshadowed by TLoU2. My guess for E3 is they're going to show a story teaser trailer for TLoU2 and do a huge blowout for Days Gone (although possibly not at their press conference).

Top Bottom