• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

they should have a hired a proven studio like Capcom or Arc System Works to work on this Game.
Aren't there more than enough talented Studios in Japan?

Apart from that they shouldn't have greenlighted this game, if they weren't ready to take some risks & invest some money into the most iconic playstation characters like Cloud or Crash.

i mean Cloud is in Smash Bros but not in all stars....Really? But atleast we got Bioshock ^^

also the marketing as far as i remember, was pretty much non existent (i think they released more ads after the relase?) but before that, i didn't even realize the game was out

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should have went full Power Stone with PS All Stars. Making a sort of Smash Clone was never a great idea and besides, Power Stone is fucking awesome.

farmerboy

1M+ views for this thread! Great work, Juan!

Thanks ! never thought this thread would turn so big - happy that this became such a great community

Best thread on this forum imo. Never had a single problem in here. Really great thread

As a subscribed lurker, I can tell you that reading the discussion in here is great and some really good informed opinion as well. Keep it up guys. And that goes for everyone, not just these 3.

It's crazy to see all these PS exclusives doing so well, Sony has got a rhythm going and they still have titans like God of War, Spider-man and TLOU2 yet to drop. They're execution on their exclusives has been mighty impressive for the most part this gen.

Wozman23

As far as the PSASBR clone debate, I never played Power Stone, so I always thought a Smash rip off would be easier.

I don't think the Super system was a bad idea, just poorly implemented. I played primarily by myself and against the AI. With default matches only lasting a few minutes, it was difficult to build up your meter enough to do multiple supers. You may be able to only do one level 3, or 3 level 1s. And the default stock lives matches were too short as well, only requiring a few kills.

I think there are a few ways to correct this.
1) Make the matches much longer and include more stock lives.
2) Make the super meter fill a lot quicker, maybe even in a non-linear fashion.

The second option is probably the better way to go as it could create a really fast paced, hectic environment, really selling the party game feel. That would give you far more opportunities to kill. Not only would that make it more engaging, but it would provide better options for strategy and another level of balance.

Moving to something 3D like Power Stone just introduces a whole new can of worms like controlling projectile-based characters and balancing them vs brawling characters, so I'd rather stay 2D.

BigEmil

Someone should make a fan game with PlayStation characters in Power Stone style in Unreal Engine 4, would be cool to see and if it's big maybe Sony sees it and stuff

HStallion

Someone should make a fan game with PlayStation characters in Power Stone style in Unreal Engine 4, would be cool to see and if it's big maybe Sony sees it and stuff

Someone should make a game like Power Stone in general. Nostalgia is the big thing these days and the original games were great fun so I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

HStallion

I'd love to see Rockstar try something like Bully crossed with Stranger Things. You play kids in a small town exploring a mystery, getting in danger, solving mysteries, bonding, growing up and so on. I just love that setting. Give it a killer synth soundtrack too.

Lemondish

I'd love to see Rockstar try something like Bully crossed with Stranger Things. You play kids in a small town exploring a mystery, getting in danger, solving mysteries, bonding, growing up and so on. I just love that setting. Give it a killer synth soundtrack too.

The problem I have with R* is that every single game of theirs is some kind of love letter to a genre and never takes itself seriously, so I can't either. A Stranger Things style mystery game would be far better if it wasn't filled with the juvenile humour R* games are known for.

they should have a hired a proven studio like Capcom or Arc System Works to work on this Game.
Aren't there more than enough talented Studios in Japan?

Apart from that they shouldn't have greenlighted this game, if they weren't ready to take some risks & invest some money into the most iconic playstation characters like Cloud or Crash.

i mean Cloud is in Smash Bros but not in all stars....Really? But atleast we got Bioshock ^^

also the marketing as far as i remember, was pretty much non existent (i think they released more ads after the relase?) but before that, i didn't even realize the game was out

It remains shocking to this day how badly Sony was dicked over by Square and Konami and Activision with that game.

SamNW

A Stranger Things style mystery game would be far better if it wasn't filled with the juvenile humour R* games are known for.
This is pretty on the money. I'm so unimpressed with Rockstar's sense of humor. In a lot of ways, GTA V was the height of it. On the other hand, I thought Red Dead Redemption was excellent and effective because it was willing to be more earnest at times. It retained the better parts of GTA's tone and style, but the writing (mostly) didn't come across as the same sophomoric, trying-too-hard bullshit. I think that game has problems, certainly, but a lot of it works for me in a way that GTA doesn't.

Lemondish

This is pretty on the money. I'm so unimpressed with Rockstar's sense of humor. In a lot of ways, GTA V was the height of it. On the other hand, I thought Red Dead Redemption was excellent and effective because it was willing to be more earnest at times. It retained the better parts of GTA's tone and style, but the writing (mostly) didn't come across as the same sophomoric, trying-too-hard bullshit. I think that game has problems, certainly, but a lot of it works for me in a way that GTA doesn't.

Yeah, I can see that. On some ways RDR is a step in the right direction narratively, but their desire to adhere to the source genre (that being Western films) means it doesn't ever feel like anything but a love letter to the genre complete with all the cheese and tradition the genre holds.

Maybe they can tell a mature story. It's okay if they don't, but man would I support them if they tried.

SamNW

Yeah, I can see that. On some ways RDR is a step in the right direction narratively, but their desire to adhere to the source genre (that being Western films) means it doesn't ever feel like anything but a love letter to the genre complete with all the cheese and tradition the genre holds.

Maybe they can tell a mature story. It's okay if they don't, but man would I support them if they tried.
I totally get that. The best homage questions and subverts the source material that it's celebrating. To this point, I think Rockstar has mostly failed to do so. Their games always contain moments of subversion, but ultimately feel like sprawling works that struggle to find an identity beyond "hey, check out these allusions!" and "here's the most straightforward, loud, simplistic critique of X idea or Y location." I don't believe that's the best they can do. A company of that size and caliber surely has the capacity to do better.

Hmm that's a solid roster, much better than whatever Sony was thinking of at the time. Felt more like a game to market unrelated characters from new games than a game to celebrate iconic Sony associated characters.

As you've said before, psabr would've been better as power stone type of game rather than a smash clone.

P.S why chie as persona representative? Is that who yosp considers as his best waifu or something? On a more serious note, p5mc's could definitely get a spot considering how distinctive his look is

I chose Chie because fighters can generally always use more female representation. And Chie's very popular despite not being the obvious face of P4. It's just like with Bloodborne, i'd be more in favor of them using Lady Maria as the selection.

As far as the current Rockstar discussion goes, they're in a tough spot now. Their reputation when it comes to open world games means that they're never going to be able to put out games at the rate they did in the PS2 or even PS3 era. So, that really limits how many games and just which games they can develop. GTA and Red Dead are both extremely popular, while for Rockstar, Bully is more of a cult hit type of game. Bringing Bully back would mean that they'd be dumping years of development and nearly all of their major teams on some level into making a game that they don't even know will be the type of success that they can get with GTA or RDR.

I don't think a Bully sequel (were it ever to happen) would really benefit from the content sprawl that R*'s other open world games have experienced. Keep the scale of the first game and focus more on meaningful depth and familiarity with a place and its inhabitants, in a Shenmue/ Persona type way.

Ravage

Can't blame the devs when the game looked subpar right from the get-go. Sony were clearly not invested in it like a GT or Uncharted

This is imo, the biggest issue with SIEWWS right now. Outside of GT, you kind of get the feeling that they are not truly serious about any of their multiplayer titles.

Their GaaS portfolio is pretty barren right now and one would think SIE (with all the sales data available) understands the importance of having prominent GaaS exclusives to sell services like Now and Plus. They need more than just GT Sport and MLB.

I chose Chie because fighters can generally always use more female representation. And Chie's very popular despite not being the obvious face of P4. It's just like with Bloodborne, i'd be more in favor of them using Lady Maria as the selection.

Honestly, if they were to have another go at PSASBR, they probably could include two characters of most games/series and, whenever possible, include a male and a female. I mean, why have either Joel or Ellie when you can have both? Kat and Raven, Drake and Chloe, Cloud and Tifa, PaRappa and UmJammer, Aloy and... Thunderjaw? Sly and Carmelita. The more, the merrier.

And yes, please, if we're going to include Bloodborne, one of them needs to be Lady Maria.

Shin-Ra

I mean did we have any update about this game since E3 2015? I hope it didn't get canceled.
Last July:
Hi everyone ! Still working hard on Wild, don't worry about that. Yesterday, someone very special came to see us !

Cn06bcrVIAAHTT4.jpg:orig

Jan 27, 2017
michelancel: Getting lost in your own game is a great satisfaction . So many landscapes and situations to be discovered . I will try to post regularly some screenshots of the wild . And I promise , I will not spoil the game´s plot ! #ps4 #wild

33804324510_cd8459ebc3_o.jpg

Feb 3, 2017
michelancel: Young shaman / Old forest . All my games start with old trees , rayman 1&2, Beyond Good & Evil's ancient oak . Most of this passion comes from Japan and specially my fantastic uncle : #bdelorgeril #wild #PS4

34057493001_7a21157ca9_o.jpg

This is imo, the biggest issue with SIEWWS right now. Outside of GT, you kind of get the feeling that they are not truly serious about any of their multiplayer titles.

Their GaaS portfolio is pretty barren right now and one would think SIE (with all the sales data available) understands the importance of having prominent GaaS exclusives to sell services like Now and Plus. They need more than just GT Sport and MLB.

I'm pretty confident SEIA understands it.

The big problem is that it's quite likely the key creative leadership at their big studios don't give a shit about making GAAS games.

Naughty Dog are proudly cinematic storytellers, and I don't see folks like Neil Druckmann or Bruce Straley who emphasis storytelling in their interviews go that route. And Sony wouldn't dare to force them to do a GAAS game.

Same goes for Santa Monica, albeit in a different direction of a character-action/adventure game. Not to mention that studio went through difficult times of recovering from huge layoffs, new IP cancellation, moving into the GAAS space so rapidly is another big risk.

Guerilla is perfectly capable and probably the most set-up to make a GAAS game, with their extensive history making FPS games with major MP components, but expansive open-world games was already one portfolio that Sony was lacking and unless GG expands to a two project studio, they wouldn't put a stop on the open-world checkbox that Horizon is giving Sony.

Sucker Punch and Bend too. Be it the creative legacy of what their devs used to make, their scale/size vs the big 3 Sony studios which makes supporting GAAS tougher, etc etc, it's unlikely they're the right fit to make those games.

I think its a combination of their studio's preferring to make single player games and Sony not being delusional enough to think that they're going to steal players from COD, Destiny, Overwatch, GTAV, etc.

First party studio's primary job is to diversify their lineup, you dont do that by making the same games that every AAA publisher is making.

Dabi

Eh, they've locked up deals for RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and COD WWII. It's not a fight that needs fighting.

All these third party multiplayer games? I can't begin to understand why anyone would have a problem with sonys first party focusing on single player primarily

MCD250

Sony are, like, the last, or one of the last major publishers that are still heavily invested in the single player arena. Maybe doing more games as a service and MP-focused games would make them more money, but honestly, I'm extremely glad that they still see the value in single player games.

Sony doesn't need to try to make a big multiplayer hit because there's so many of them nowadays. They tried last gen with Killzone and Resistance but neither of them exploded like other MP games have. Last gen, millions of people flocked to the 360 to play MP games like Halo and Gears and 360 was basically the home of COD and Battlefield, but this gen many of them have switched to PS4 which is become the "home" for many of these big MP titles. They no longer feel the need to make their own to try to steal gamers from the competition

Elfstruck

I think its a combination of their studio's preferring to make single player games and Sony not being delusional enough to think that they're going to steal players from COD, Destiny, Overwatch, GTAV, etc.

First party studio's primary job is to diversify their lineup, you dont do that by making the same games that every AAA publisher is making.

Also, Sony allows their studios to have the creative freedom that they need. Instead of forcing their studio to include GaaS in their games, why not just let them make whatever the hell they want and include GaaS when they see fit?

jayu26

Dreams. If Little Big Planet is any indication then Dreams is going to follow games as a service model with huge online create, share and play features. That is how that game is going to make money, not from pure sales.

wapplew

It's not like Sony didn't try. Their free to play initiative bite them in the ass, almost sunk San Diego studio.
I'm sure they've learn their lesson.

Ravage

I'm pretty confident SEIA understands it.

The big problem is that it's quite likely the key creative leadership at their big studios don't give a shit about making GAAS games.

Naughty Dog are proudly cinematic storytellers, and I don't see folks like Neil Druckmann or Bruce Straley who emphasis storytelling in their interviews go that route. And Sony wouldn't dare to force them to do a GAAS game.

Same goes for Santa Monica, albeit in a different direction of a character-action/adventure game. Not to mention that studio went through difficult times of recovering from huge layoffs, new IP cancellation, moving into the GAAS space so rapidly is another big risk.

Guerilla is perfectly capable and probably the most set-up to make a GAAS game, with their extensive history making FPS games with major MP components, but expansive open-world games was already one portfolio that Sony was lacking and unless GG expands to a two project studio, they wouldn't put a stop on the open-world checkbox that Horizon is giving Sony.

Sucker Punch and Bend too. Be it the creative legacy of what their devs used to make, their scale/size vs the big 3 Sony studios which makes supporting GAAS tougher, etc etc, it's unlikely they're the right fit to make those games.

Personally as a 95%-SP guy, I'm more than happy with SIE output. And yes, part of the function of 1st party is to diversify the library and AAA SP story-driven games are getting rarer as the gen chugs along.

My "concern" lies more on the viability of PS Now going forward. The other half of 1st party responsibility is to sell its platform and without prominent GaaS exclusives, it will be much harder to prevent competitors from stealing potential users away. It's almost like if Netflix pursued exclusive movies instead of TV series. Not a good fit for the pricing model.

As for having the right studios to pursue GaaS, i do think the ideal long term solution is to create a new studio to focus on it. Let's be clear here, I'm not asking for the likes of ND and GG to switch direction. That would be madness, especially with the success they had found.

Edit: Guys, I'm not asking SIE to invest in a COD or Destiny killer. There's no point in doing so. There is however, a point in exploring the gaps that are not currently being serviced by 3rd parties e.g. co-op open-world before GR:Wildlands launched. Experiences like RE5 is also missing in action this gen, and i can see GaaS potential in that one.

Agreed. A different team and a sizable, long-term investment is needed if they want to go there.

What SIEA did with their F2P initiatives at San Diego cannot be how they approach those matters.

Guns Up! & Kill Strain, compared to what other devs are doing in the F2P space ( Warframe, World of Tanks, etc) are clearly lacking.

And Drawn to Death, while clearly intended as the flagship F2P initiative from San Diego, clearly struggled through figuring out what the business plan would be.

Ravage

Agreed. A different team and a sizable, long-term investment is needed if they want to go there.

What SIEA did with their F2P initiatives at San Diego cannot be how they approach those matters.

Guns Up! & Kill Strain, compared to what other devs are doing in the F2P space ( Warframe, World of Tanks, etc) are clearly lacking.

And Drawn to Death, while clearly intended as the flagship F2P initiative from San Diego, clearly struggled through figuring out what the business plan would be.

Exactly. San Diego's F2P initiative, while strategically important, has been executed horribly. SIE leadership needs to take a long, hard look at why it failed. Rocket League proved that non-AAA GaaS projects can thrive on consoles, no reason why SIE can't achieve the same.

Wait, people actually WANT them to do GaaS? Oh god, please no. I'll quit gaming if that stuff overtakes everything. Sony's unique single player focus is what makes them shine. It's not like there aren't already a shitton of third party multiplayer titles.

Ravage

Wait, people actually WANT them to do GaaS? Oh god, please no. I'll quit gaming if that stuff overtakes everything. Sony's unique single player focus is what makes them shine. It's not like there aren't already a shitton of third party multiplayer titles.

Kindly read my subsequent posts.

Zukkoyaki

All these third party multiplayer games? I can't begin to understand why anyone would have a problem with sonys first party focusing on single player primarily
This is how I see it as well. Most of Sony's games help compliment and fill in the gaps left by third party publishers. Multiplayer-centric games aren't an omission in the PS4's line-up.

Gran Turismo having multiplayer competitions as its main draw however does make some sense because of the lack of major racing games this generation. It fills a niche/need.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No no no...let Sony stick to their single player linear/open world story driven and gameplay focused games. As a pure single player gamer, it's the primary reason why I buy the majority of their exclusives.

Multi-player in Uncharted, TLOU, etc. is as far as they should go in regards to online multi-player in my opinion.

As for free to play, I have no interest in any of them and think that the majority of them are just pure crap. This is my opinion in general not just towards Sony. Would much rather see Sony take the money, time and resources on these games and use them elsewhere like a Resistance trilogy collection.

HStallion

Bravo, GG.

I have high expectations for the sequel.

I'm curious if they try and implement the multiplayer ides they scrapped or something else multiplayer related or just try and make a bigger, better, more streamlined and even more content rich version of the first game.

orochi91

I'm curious if they try and implement the multiplayer ides they scrapped or something else multiplayer related or just try and make a bigger, better, more streamlined and even more content rich version of the first game.

I'm hoping for the latter, preferably some aquatic/marine based environments and machines.

Although MP does seem like it would work well in the Horizon universe; squad(s) of players tackling giant boss hunts sounds like it could be really fun.

HStallion

I'm hoping for the latter, preferably some aquatic/marine based environments and machines.

Although MP does seem like it would work well in the Horizon universe; squad(s) of players tackling giant boss hunts sounds like it could be really fun.

I'd take either honestly and Guerilla know's what they're doing so I'll trust them to make the right decisions whatever they are. Just more Aloy, more of the world, and more of that awesome combat and those enemies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony's studios and their partners shine at single player experiences. Leave the multiplayer stuff to third parties

GaaS happens more organically I think. I'm not sure a focus of a studio should be to create a game as a service. Working on an evergreen title, meaning the gameplay is the main draw, should be a priority for Sony though. They just have GT and MLB the show in that category. I'd say they could tackle one more genre like maybe a competitor to Mario Kart with the GT brand? A fighting game? A GTA-like game with a serious story?

Top Bottom