• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Congrats for 1m+ views. I love the discussions here and come straight here whenever i log in to GAF. Keep the gr8 posts coming guys!!

No no no...let Sony stick to their single player linear/open world story driven and gameplay focused games. As a pure single player gamer, it's the primary reason why I buy the majority of their exclusives.

I'm in the same boat. Play mostly single player story driven games. Only time when i loved an online feature was how it was implemented in Journey. I felt so happy seeing another person in that barren land....no other multi-player/online game made me feel that way.

Evilisk

tsk

don't play with me 4chan... I actually enjoyed PSABR and I have a list of improvements I want to see in a sequel

There's always, I mean, always some sort of PSBR sequel rumour around E3 time each year. I'd still love to see a proper sequel though.

It remains shocking to this day how badly Sony was dicked over by Square and Konami and Activision with that game.

I think Square not committing any characters was good in the end. If they gave us a Final Fantasy character, it would have undoubtedly been Lightning, since she was getting pushed around that time. (Like geez, it would have been ridiculous to have Raiden, dmc-Dante and Lightning all in the same game)

Wait, people actually WANT them to do GaaS? Oh god, please no. I'll quit gaming if that stuff overtakes everything. Sony's unique single player focus is what makes them shine. It's not like there aren't already a shitton of third party multiplayer titles.

No-one said they wanted it to overtake everything, you're over-reacting.

I'm not much of a multiplayer person but I think it makes a lot of sense for Sony to expand in that direction and diversify their lineup. They can't just leave an entire business model to third parties and it's not like they haven't published great multiplayer games before that really could've used that kind of continual support (Warhawk, Socom 2, Helldivers, etc).

But to be honest, I'm not sure Sony even knows how to tackle GaaS. I think they tend to cut off and abandon games that could've used long term support way too quickly.

Endo Punk

I have little interest in games as a service but do feel that space is oddly ignored by Sony. You get a lot of passionate gamers occupying that space so business is quite lucrative. Despite being a sp only gamer I Login every day with Let it Die. Gungho have done a fantastic job with the game and rewarding gamers and I'm sure they make bank with it too, I mean it did surpass 1 million users recently I believe. I even ended up spending like £15 because I am really enjoying my time with it.

I have little interest in games as a service but do feel that space is oddly ignored by Sony. You get a lot of passionate gamers occupying that space so business is quite lucrative. Despite being a sp only gamer I Login every day with Let it Die. Gungho have done a fantastic job with the game and rewarding gamers and I'm sure they make bank with it too, I mean it did surpass 1 million users recently I believe. I even ended up spending like £15 because I am really enjoying my time with it.

I saw a commercial for Let it Die about a week ago. Found it really weird there was one 4 months later but it was on Adult Swim so I didn't think much of it. The next day I saw a commercial for it on ESPN and I got extremely confused. That game has to be making bank getting a commercial 4 months after release on a big network.

Endo Punk

I saw a commercial for Let it Die about a week ago. Found it really weird there was one 4 months later but it was on Adult Swim so I didn't think much of it. The next day I saw a commercial for it on ESPN and I got extremely confused. That game has to be making bank getting a commercial 4 months after release on a big network.

Yea the playerbase appears to be huge despite the OT being dead. The game constantly rewards and you can get pretty far with that alone which is a surprise for a f2p, though f2p stuff there for better equipment. I find the grind pretty fun tbh because the gameplay feels great, plenty of options and gear. A killer soundtrack as well

Kolx

I'm pretty confident SEIA understands it.

The big problem is that it's quite likely the key creative leadership at their big studios don't give a shit about making GAAS games.

Naughty Dog are proudly cinematic storytellers, and I don't see folks like Neil Druckmann or Bruce Straley who emphasis storytelling in their interviews go that route. And Sony wouldn't dare to force them to do a GAAS game.

Same goes for Santa Monica, albeit in a different direction of a character-action/adventure game. Not to mention that studio went through difficult times of recovering from huge layoffs, new IP cancellation, moving into the GAAS space so rapidly is another big risk.

Guerilla is perfectly capable and probably the most set-up to make a GAAS game, with their extensive history making FPS games with major MP components, but expansive open-world games was already one portfolio that Sony was lacking and unless GG expands to a two project studio, they wouldn't put a stop on the open-world checkbox that Horizon is giving Sony.

Sucker Punch and Bend too. Be it the creative legacy of what their devs used to make, their scale/size vs the big 3 Sony studios which makes supporting GAAS tougher, etc etc, it's unlikely they're the right fit to make those games.

Naughty Dog did try to make a GaaS with Uncharted 4 MP with their huge support post-launch and tons of MT everywhere. I don't know how successful that was tho.

But to be honest, I'm not sure Sony even knows how to tackle GaaS. I think they tend to cut off and abandon games that could've used long term support way too quickly.

Looking outside-in, I see Sony's situation and confusion with approach to GaaS reflective of an internal financial/ROI structure where...

Instead of making a unit of games division that has the full freedom and financial ownership of making GaaS games, they're trying to build out GaaS attempts within the existing framework of how they view financials and ROI of games.

Thus, unless they have some sort of major hit that proves the financial models different, their toe-dipping is never extensive to the level of publishers or developers who are neck deep into the F2P GaaS model and are actively supporting and developing for only one/two games at any one time.

This is why I always knew they'd struggle with developing mobile games or companion mobile stuff unless they brought the company outside of the WWS mindset, which is what they've started to do with ForwardWorks.

Sometimes, companies cripple themselves by the limitations of how bigger projects rationale overcome the need for smaller projects to stay afloat by non-traditional means.

It remains shocking to this day how badly Sony was dicked over by Square and Konami and Activision with that game.

It's not their fault that Sony didn't offer strong enough deals to get their iconic Playstation characters into Sony's Playstation 'iconic' character fighting game. If there is another Battle Royale game they really need to work overtime to get proper third party characters people give a shit about.

Which studio is the MLB one again?

Either there was a wholly different comment here before or some mod ninja deleted another comment in the time it took hit reply.

Looking at your other comment in the Gran Tourismo Sport thread I'd guess it's the former ...

But you're probably right, BOREizon probably only got the good review scores because Sony paid for them, just like all the other highly reviewed Sony exclusives
/s

Wozman23

Sony are, like, the last, or one of the last major publishers that are still heavily invested in the single player arena. Maybe doing more games as a service and MP-focused games would make them more money, but honestly, I'm extremely glad that they still see the value in single player games.

That's really the main reason I'm a Sony loyalist.

I rarely play competitive multiplayer, and even when I dabble in it, it hardly ever sticks for more than a couple play sessions.

Even in the case of Halo and Gears, the emphasis on co-op and a squad-based adventure immediately turns me off of them. They just don't feel as intimate as the games where I get to play a lone wolf, and they loose a lot of the challenge due to squad AI and their ability to simply heal you.

Sony provides me with countless experiences that are first and foremost, or only, designed with the single player in mind.

Sony are, like, the last, or one of the last major publishers that are still heavily invested in the single player arena. Maybe doing more games as a service and MP-focused games would make them more money, but honestly, I'm extremely glad that they still see the value in single player games.

Yeah, good point. The Last of Us is what brought me back to console gaming, and my genuine disinterest in everything concerning multiplayer is probably what's going to keep me here too. Even huge games like Destiny 2 don't have my attention beyond the single player component. I genuinely hope Sony sticks with it.

farisr

Yeah, Sony's heavy emphasis on single player driven games is the reason why I prefer them.

Now would I be against a Mario Kart clone with Playstation & other third party characters, that launches with a good amount of content, that gets supported like Rocket League does. No. That'd be great if they manage to nail the gameplay.

As for Dreams. Not sure about that. That game will be heavily dependent on community engagement and user creation. And the way it's setup, the whole point is you should be able to create anything that the devs can create. If they limit certain features/capabilities to things they plan on selling, I think that'll result in the game failing. Any updates to the game engine/capabilities (like physics, new materials and what not) should be free.

Of course they could offer models/assets things for sale made by them, that a person could make themselves as well, but is basically a convenience fee. It'd be awesome if they setup a virtual storefront allowing people to sell their creations if they want to.

Apathy

As far as the PSASBR clone debate, I never played Power Stone, so I always thought a Smash rip off would be easier.

I don't think the Super system was a bad idea, just poorly implemented. I played primarily by myself and against the AI. With default matches only lasting a few minutes, it was difficult to build up your meter enough to do multiple supers. You may be able to only do one level 3, or 3 level 1s. And the default stock lives matches were too short as well, only requiring a few kills.

I think there are a few ways to correct this.
1) Make the matches much longer and include more stock lives.
2) Make the super meter fill a lot quicker, maybe even in a non-linear fashion.

The second option is probably the better way to go as it could create a really fast paced, hectic environment, really selling the party game feel. That would give you far more opportunities to kill. Not only would that make it more engaging, but it would provide better options for strategy and another level of balance.

Moving to something 3D like Power Stone just introduces a whole new can of worms like controlling projectile-based characters and balancing them vs brawling characters, so I'd rather stay 2D.

A power stone clone with stylized characters instead of their actual looks would have done more for that game than being a smash come and being forever compared to it. Hell they child have gone the 2v2 vs route and still would have been better

black070

It's not their fault that Sony didn't offer strong enough deals to get their iconic Playstation characters into Sony's Playstation 'iconic' character fighting game. If there is another Battle Royale game they really need to work overtime to get proper third party characters people give a shit about.

I really would have liked to see where Naughty Dog (who were initially supposed to develop it) would have taken it, if there's ever a revival - Sony better get them on it.

I'm a big fan of co-op, which is part of what I love about Resogun and Alienation. I do a lot of single-player, but I played the hell out of both of those games online.

I love Sony's single player experiences as well and always have. but I do wish they'd comeback with SOCOM or warhawk, I just don't enjoy the current online offerings very much. Seige did it for me a while but me and my friends haven't been on it for months.

AAMARMO

Banned
I was bored so I made a new prediction list for this years E3.

p0laX1u.png

Green - Going to Happen
Orange - Maybe
Blue - Dreams

Mosse

Neo Member

Green - Going to Happen
Orange - Maybe
Blue - Dreams

Give it a week and this list will be posted in a new thread as a "possible leak" the threadmaker found on some random site

I'm just ready for some more Anton and Kareem streams for Dreams. That city building video absolutely blew my mind. Taking just a single module and building an extremely varied looking cityscape from it was astounding. Imaging having a hub city that size filled with a thousand different portals leading to varied 'indoor' areas. It's insane.

I'm just ready for some more Anton and Kareem streams for Dreams. That city building video absolutely blew my mind. Taking just a single module and building an extremely varied looking cityscape from it was astounding. Imaging having a hub city that size filled with a thousand different portals leading to varied 'indoor' areas. It's insane.
That's the best part to me. Playing a level and being inspired so I make my own and connect it to that level just ahh. Can't wait

Got a link to that?

Eggbok

I think you're one of the most hyped I've seen on gaf along with me. Plan on creating or just playing?

I am EXTREMELY hyped for Dreams lol, it is my most anticipated game right now. I honestly plan on primarily being a creator. That's all I would do in LittleBigPlanet 1-3, it's just so amazing . I currently have at this moment 60+ individual ideas on things I want to build.
I think I check their twitter at least twice a day to see if there is anything new announced or any plans for another stream etc. It's like an obsession but at the same thing Dreams is literally my dream game. Knowing it exists brings me so much happiness, so much excitement!

I'M READY!

I am EXTREMELY hyped for Dreams lol, it is my most anticipated game right now. I honestly plan on primarily being a creator. That's all I would do in LittleBigPlanet 1-3, it's just so amazing . I currently have at this moment 60+ individual ideas on things I want to build.
I think I check their twitter at least twice a day to see if there is anything new announced or any plans for another stream etc. It's like an obsession but at the same thing Dreams is literally my dream game. Knowing it exists brings me so much happiness, so much excitement!

I'M READY!
It seems I have a competitor in the dream scape

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Green - Going to Happen
Orange - Maybe
Blue - Dreams

Missing Dreams, Knack 2, Days Gone, Crash Trilogy and Uncharted TLL. Don't see Bloodborne 2, Sucker Punch IP or TLOUP2 being revealed/shown at all. And Sly Cooper is a new game or a collection ala Crash?

Was just watching the dreams city video. I like how they're like do we have time can we make a third city!

We have 10 minutes

O we have plenty of time let's make two

Lol love it!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Just a gut feeling that their E3 will be more like 2014 as opposed to 2015 and 2016. Sony has shown so much that it's time to focus on what's already been announced as opposed to showing games that's literally years away. Also, wasn't 2014 the first year of Sony's deals with Activision for COD and Destiny? If so, that's another reason.

Sony has a LOT already which could probably fill up 90 minutes easily. Add in more announced games and it becomes even longer.

Another reason being that if SP new IP is indeed a western based game, why would Sony show it if they have the marketing deal for RDR2 and will show that at E3? If RDR2 is at Sony's press conference, SP new IP will be completely ignored and forgotten by most. No reason to have their new IP overshadowed by RDR2. Better off saving it for PSX or E3 2018. If it's NOT a western based game, then I would say that it's 50/50.

Just a gut feeling that their E3 will be more like 2014 as opposed to 2015 and 2016. Sony has shown so much that it's time to focus on what's already been announced as opposed to showing games that's literally years away. Also, wasn't 2014 the first year of Sony's deals with Activision for COD and Destiny? If so, that's another reason.

Sony has a LOT already which could probably fill up 90 minutes easily. Add in more announced games and it becomes even longer.

Another reason being that if SP new IP is indeed a western based game, why would Sony show it if they have the marketing deal for RDR2 and will show that at E3? If RDR2 is at Sony's press conference, SP new IP will be completely ignored and forgotten by most. No reason to have their new IP overshadowed by RDR2. Better off saving it for PSX or E3 2018. If it's NOT a western based game, then I would say that it's 50/50.

2014 showcased a lot of new games, too. What really made it not as memorable was simply not having a ton to show for that year and some new IPs, like The Order, not looking as impressive as, say, Horizon or Spider-Man would. Plus, the part with Shawn Layden dragged like crazy since no games were showcased, though he's been very entertaining ever since. =)

Have they said how this game will adapt to people who are unimaginative like me
There's an entire campaign for you too enjoy and other levels by an amazing community if I go off of the lbp community. If you wanna create there are already assets available both created by Mm or players you can take and store into a level without you sculpting your own

Top Bottom