• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

MCD250

I could see Red Dead Redemption at E3, yeah. Way I figure, it probably comes down to 1) how badly Sony would like to have them there (quite badly, I imagine) and 2) how much money they're willing to pay Rockstar to make it happen.

It's not like Rockstar not being at E3 the last several years (though they were there in 2014, as noted) is necessarily indicative of them having something *against* E3 or whatever. And if somebody's paying a ton of money to show up and show a trailer, well, hell, why not, right?

We'll see.

this old news?

hOlxmCF.jpg

Jesus. Calm down. FFVIIR hasn't even been in development for that long, they only announced it two years ago and it was really early in development even at that point.

And really, "the TLG guy"?

What does KH3 have to do with anything? Nomura's name may be listed as the co-director but Yasue's the one running things.
I'm perfectly fine. I'm just pointing out that he does a horrible, horrible job at getting games done on time.

DKHF

Dude if we do not see FFVIIR, then SquareEnix should grab all of Nomura's things, put them in a box and throw him the fuck out of the building. Most incompetent lead in gaming right now. He's a genius, but completely incompetent in running a team to be productive. He's equivalent of the TLG guy except that he gets a lot more funding and does it for every single game.

I'm 100% confident any other guy running that show would get FFVII PART One done by Q4 2017, but with Nomura you just kinda hope it's this gen with his garbage track record.
His garbage track record which includes a grand total of one game that had huge development issues. Many of those issues being from the staff getting taken to fix the messes that were FFXIII and FFXIV. I would love some actual evidence his incompetence running a team was the reason for Versus' failure and not the many obvious issues that plagued its development. And I wonder why Square Enix would then assign the dude who supposedly fucked up a project wasting them money for 7 years, 2 more AAA projects immediately afterwards.

His garbage track record which includes a grand total of one game that had huge development issues. Many of those issues being from the staff getting taken to fix the messes that were FFXIII and FFXIV. I would love some actual evidence his incompetence running a team was the reason for Versus' failure and not the many obvious issues that plagued its development. And I wonder why Square Enix would then assign the dude who supposedly fucked up a project wasting them money for 7 years, 2 more AAA projects immediately afterwards.
Unless I worked at SE, there's no way to prove his total incompetence 100% but the stans are gonna stan and protect the dude no matter what. I also wonder why SE keeps assigning him to so many projects, but a lot of what they do don't make a lot of sense so it's difficult to figure out their mentality. Saying that even though he's the worst in the business in terms of getting AAA games out on a timely manner, he still makes amazing games. Even with him being totally incompetent in getting games when they should be.

I hear if enough stans protect Nomura-san on gaf, his games might take only twice as long as originally planned out to release.

DKHF

Unless I worked at SE, there's no way to prove his total incompetence 100% but the stans are gonna stan and protect the dude no matter what. I also wonder why SE keeps assigning him to so many projects, but a lot of what they do don't make a lot of sense so it's difficult to figure out their mentality. Saying that even though he's the worst in the business in terms of getting AAA games out on a timely manner, he still makes amazing games. Even with him being totally incompetent in getting games when they should be.

I hear if enough stans protect Nomura-san on gaf, his games might take only twice as long as originally planned out to release.
No they are gonna "protect" the dude because the evidence is to the contrary of the points his many detractors make. SE is based in Japan which is an honour based society, so if he really was to blame for Versus for so many years he would not be rewarded with 2 new AAA projects. He would be quietly demoted/encouraged to leave as soon as KH3 went gold (as many here speculated would be the case when it was announced he was off XV).

I disagree about him being the worst at getting games out in a timely manner. I think the issue you and others get that idea from is Square Enix's insistence on announcing their AAA Japanese projects within as little as a year from the start of pre-production, which is something 99% of AAA publishers wisely do not do any more. That along with the fact that there's no evidence his incompetence managing the team was Versus' issue.

AndyVirus

It's not like Rockstar not being at E3 the last several years (though they were there in 2014, as noted) is necessarily indicative of them having something *against* E3 or whatever.

Dan Houser "But E3, I think, isn't the best place to show a game anyway, and that's definitely become solidified in our thinking since then [2001]." Now that quote's a few years old and I think relates to the show floor rather than conferences, but still. In 15 years all we've got is a GTA 4 tattoo, an Agent logo and a GTA 5 remaster trailer - so no new footage whatsoever.

Dabi

Wonder how many millions Sony payed R* to get some exclusive cowboy hats and horse breeds lmao. I'd be pissed if they didn't give me an E3 trailer.

I disagree about him being the worst at getting games out in a timely manner. I think the issue you and others get that idea from is Square Enix's insistence on announcing their AAA Japanese projects within as little as a year from the start of pre-production, which is something 99% of AAA publishers wisely do not do any more. That along with the fact that there's no evidence his incompetence managing the team was Versus' issue.

Yep SE has a real problem when it comes to this .
It takes about 3 years to make a big AAA games ( also depending on team size) and no problems happen .
Can't blame Nomura when SE shows trailers way to early .
Both KHIII and FFVIIR should have been announce this year or next year .

farisr

Wonder how many millions Sony payed R* to get some exclusive cowboy hats and horse breeds lmao. I'd be pissed if they didn't give me an E3 trailer.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the recent marketing deals have been some sort of compensation by R* for not delivering on Agent.

sense

Deals aren't cut and dry like that. Both parties benefit from the deal. Sony probably shares some of the marketing budget and gives them a bigger share from bundle sales. No actual money actually gets exchanged in these deals majority of the time.

So what does this mean? Is this the time of year when Shinobi teases all the upcoming Sony conference games? I hope he doesn't ruin the reveal of Bloodborne 2 or Sucker Punch's game.
How would he ruin it? From and Sucker Punch showing up wouldn't be surprising.

But yeah, I do think it is tease and hype time.

Shenmue 1 & 2 HD collection. I know others like Demon Souls, KS, and Spyro could be in contention, but come on, this needs to happen in relation to the success of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. Least that's my ultimate hope for this E3 anyways. (and yes, i know Shenmue isn't a "PlayStation classic")

fatherKratos

Neo Member
So many predictions, speculations, dreams, hopes ....for E3...but no love for Ni No Kuni 2? :( Its sad to see that it isnt part of anyone's list whatsoever.

vivekTO

So what does this mean? Is this the time of year when Shinobi teases all the upcoming Sony conference games? I hope he doesn't ruin the reveal of Bloodborne 2 or Sucker Punch's game.

I still remember how he teases the TLOU 2. Someone here posted about his Friend going Mad or something If TLOU 2 revealed at PSX . To which Shinobi Replied, Looking forward to it.

So don't ask him anything, easy I know :p

Papacheeks

Banned
So many predictions, speculations, dreams, hopes ....for E3...but no love for Ni No Kuni 2? :( Its sad to see that it isnt part of anyone's list whatsoever.

Your not alone buddy :)

I can't wait to get that game. Combat looks much improved over the first. After putting time into Persona 5 I'm back on the JRPG train like a mofo.

I was looking forward to it until it seemed like they got rid of the pokemon system

Actually after watching my room mate and Myself put a good 40hrs into that game trying to get powerful monsters to use, I'm ok with a change as long as combat is fun. i was in for the story of saving your mother.

I'm really looking forward to it! I just don't know if it will fit in the show.

Your not alone buddy :)

I can't wait to get that game. Combat looks much improved over the first. After putting time into Persona 5 I'm back on the JRPG train like a mofo.
Yep. Persona 5 reignited my mood for JRPGs (especially turn based) too.

Zukkoyaki

Non first party Japanese games usually don't make the E3 stage unless they're already massive like Final Fantasy or Resident Evil. If Persona 5 couldn't make it last year, I don't think Ni No Kuni has a chance :/

Papacheeks

Banned
Gimme them Shinobi teases. My favorite part of the lead up.

Shinobi Please!!!

Hopefully people will give that man the respect he deserves. That whole Mass EFFECT debacle really soured my outlook on Gaf. But E3 predictions always brings out the best , since we are all fans and are like little kids again when someone says crash, medievil remake, or Sly cooper Master Collection.

Come on in SHinobi we welcome the teases with open arms and giant grins :)

Non first party Japanese games usually don't make the E3 stage unless they're already massive like Final Fantasy or Resident Evil. If Persona 5 couldn't make it last year, I don't think Ni No Kuni has a chance :/

Ni No Kuni 2 was at E3 though?

Also are we thread derailing I don't want this thread to close? SHould be be talking about First party developers again.

Osiris397

Banned
I would love to see a re-make of Starhawk on PS4, especially if they would add the option of nuking the inverted controls of the Hawk and if they would make a (still third person) PSVR version. Also, there needs to be a Starhawk sequel that has better writing and level design closer to vertical Warhawk levels with a futuristic/Western motif.

Tapejara

I would love to see a re-make of Starhawk on PS4, especially if they would add the option of nuking the inverted controls of the Hawk and if they would make a (still third person) PSVR version. Also, there needs to be a Starhawk sequel that has better writing and level design closer to vertical Warhawk levels with a futuristic/Western motif.

I'd love a new Warhawk/Starhawk. Unfortunately, I believe Dylan Jobe (director of Warhawk and Starhawk) is at Certain Affinity now, which has provided dev support for games like Modern Warfare: Remastered and DOOM. Great for him certainly, but for us 'hawk fans I think it means we'll be waiting a while for a new game by the original devs.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
i was in for the story of saving your mother.

Yup, story and Studio Ghibli's involvement were the selling points for me.

Gr8 point...release date at PSX hopefully then...

TsuWave

i kinda miss the "insiders" that would be on gaf and sprinkle us with hints and sometimes would outright confirm a certain game was coming. made gaf a lot more interesting for me. shame most of them aren't around anymore. can't wait for e3. hopefully sucker punch pulls a guerrilla games on us.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i kinda miss the "insiders" that would be on gaf and sprinkle us with hints and sometimes would outright confirm a certain game was coming. made gaf a lot more interesting for me. shame most of them aren't around anymore. can't wait for e3. hopefully sucker punch pulls a guerrilla games on us.

Verendus scared them all off

SamNW

I really don't understand why people wouldn't want to be told what's coming, when, and how. From a consumer standpoint, more information about the products being sold to you is always better.

vivekTO

I really don't understand why people wouldn't want to be told when and how these companies are going to show off their games. From a consumer standpoint, more information about the products being sold to you is always better.

I think (they) Want To be told about the Gamesbut at some particular Events like E3, thats it. I for one also support less teases for this E3 :p

Top Bottom