• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Memento

Yes. The game is in full production, so they need more people than before. Some might be temporary, some might stay permanent.

It is specifically said they dont have the intention to downsize the studio by the release of Days Gone though.

100+ people would make them bigger than Sucker Punch, wouldnt it?

Skeeter49

Really? They more than doubled the number of developers.

Is that common?
I'd imagine given the circumstances it's not that unusual. Going from a Vita game to AAA console game.

They probably had to hire lots of quest designers like Guerrilla did, for the transition.

Also the thread would probably go down the dark path all Days Gone threads have taken.

Eggbok

So, this is making the rounds:

mqGbsWn.jpg

weird off model aloy.

I can make a better fake, give me a bit lmao

Elfstruck

People just intertwine how they personally feel with a more general analysis of what the market will like.

"I don't like thing so it will certainly bomb!"

Just take a look at SOD, the game sold great for its debut. Generally, zombie games always sell decent if not great, and with words of mouth, it might sell even better.

It is specifically said they dont have the intention to downsize the studio by the release of Days Gone though.

100+ people would make them bigger than Sucker Punch, wouldnt it?
Probably means they'll be moving right into Days Gone 2 after release. Being a sequel and not a completely new IP this time means the pre-production phase will be a lot shorter

The God

If PSA2 was a thing I'd hope the Bloodborne rep would be a boss instead of a generic hunter. Someone like
Gehrman
or Maria

Guymelef

For a former 40 people studio now making a AAA open world game? yeah it is. And ~100 is not really much by today standards

And they said last E3 they were around 100 people already, thats not news

But I think the thing about not decreasing the size is new.
Just look Sucker Punch, they have firing spree after a launch.

FelipeMGM

But I think the thing about not decreasing the size is new.
Just look Sucker Punch, they have firing spree after a launch.

Yeah, thats true. But on the other hand no one ever has the intention to downsize too, they wont really know until they ship the game.

But you are right, as we said here earlier in the thread, this is good news for their future. They are moving to a bigger and more modern place thats basically just down the street from where they are today (its less then half a mile away), so its probably because the studio isnt going anywhere any day soon

Oh believe me it was. Can't believe they remastered Gravity Rush and Tearway but not that masterpiece.

P.S: Started playing Freedom Wars again can't believe a still have a 500,000+ years sentence. Got some work to do on those missions.

Hey hey hey, GR and Tearaway were well-reviewed games, specifically the latter, and a bit moreso than Freedom Wars. I have nothing against bringing it to the PS4 since Vita remasters (and in Tearaway's case, almost a new game) allow me to play games I have no access to, but none of them were great sellers considering what platform they were on, so it's not THAT weird a thing to believe. =P

Yes. The game is in full production, so they need more people than before. Some might be temporary, some might stay permanent.

For a former 40-50 people studio now making a AAA open world game? yeah it is. And ~100 is not really much by today standards

And they said last E3 they were around 100 people already, thats not news

You both are right, of course, and I fully expect a bit of a downsize after Days Gone releases as all AAA studios see, but a permanent move to a bigger studio makes me think they're overall going to see a permanent increase, some of it necessary considering how big AAA games are nowadays, and that there's some faith on Sony's part with Bend and their long-term plans.

FelipeMGM

H
You both are right, of course, and I fully expect a bit of a downsize after Days Gone releases as all AAA studios see, but a permanent move to a bigger studio makes me think they're overall going to see a permanent increase, some of it necessary considering how big AAA games are nowadays, and that there's some faith on Sony's part with Bend and their long-term plans.

oh I agree. As I have stated earlier in the thread, this move is good news, and its does seem to represent SIE has faith in the studio for the future.

I don't know if we will get another sequel to PSA but the fact is that a Smash/Mario Kart clone with good marketing and a quality studio behind it would do pretty well. It baffles me that Sony doesn't even try to cater to that huge audience and those games aren't very expensive to do in the first place.

Tbh, I'm not even sure what studio would make a FG for Sony that would get me excited.

Capcoms the only one I trust with that stuff personally but what are people's hopes as to who should helm a game like that?

Tbh, I'm not even sure what studio would make a FG for Sony that would get me excited.

Capcoms the only one I trust with that stuff personally but what are people's hopes as to who should helm a game like that?
I wouldn't mind a new fighting game IP from a Sony studio that took inspiration from NetherRealm's world building and story implementation.

FelipeMGM

I wouldn't mind a new fighting game IP from a Sony studio that took inspiration from NetherRealm's world building and story implementation.

Funny how Sony never really pursued a fighting game IP of theirs. They created a few but never went hard for it

I guess its something like the FPS games this gen, 3rd party covered them up really well on that front since ever basically, and this gen too.

Funny how Sony never really pursued a fighting game IP of theirs. They created a few but never went hard for it

I guess its something like the FPS games this gen, 3rd party covered them up really well on that front since ever basically, and this gen too.

Until Tekken 6, Tekken were basically Playstation and Sony's exclusive flagship fighting game series(Sony if I recall even published the titles in Europe). I think there was a GBA game, but that was it. So didn't really need to make one of their one, I'm sure thats why they aren't making any JRPGs either.

They're just waiting for the perfect time to bring back their best fighting game

cardinal-syn-usa5sbwf.jpg

paulogy

So, this is making the rounds:

mqGbsWn.jpg

weird off model aloy.

What do all three of those characters have in common? They're all from 3rd person action games.

I think one thing that was odd about PSABR was that few of the characters were "natively" in 2D platformers (unlike many Nintendo characters), so they seemed out of place. Meanwhile MOST of the iconic PlayStation characters fall into the 3rd person action category: Kratos, Ellie & Joel, Cole/Delsin, Final Fantasy, Crash, etc.

Maybe they'll make a 3rd person hero brawler/shooter, which could even be a reskin of the Uncharted 4 Multiplayer engine? Edit: And if it's adapting Naughty Dog code, maybe Bluepoint could work on it?

Not that crazy an idea after all...

MCD250

Weird how Drake and Ratchet look like images taken straight from their games but Aloy looks somewhat different from her ingame model.

FelipeMGM

Until Tekken 6, Tekken were basically Playstation and Sony's exclusive flagship fighting game series(Sony if I recall even published the titles in Europe). I think there was a GBA game, but that was it. So didn't really need to make one of their one, I'm sure thats why they aren't making any JRPGs either.

yep

There are so many out there to acquire. Bloody Roar would be great. Doubt Konami would ever sell it.

They should have bought SNK back in the 2000's went they went bankrupt.

They're just waiting for the perfect time to bring back their best fighting game

cardinal-syn-usa5sbwf.jpg

oh boy, please no lol

ZarKryn7

I've been saying this for awhile. I would love to see a 2D Handrawn Multi-plane beat em up fighter from Arc Systems.

But I know I'm asking​ way too much.

Lol. But I remember the guy who leaked about Crash being in Skylanders first said something about Sumo doing it. I doubt it. I mean I know Sumo does contract work. I'm not sure if Sony would entrust bring fruition of another fighting game with another studio that never made one. Not to mention any staff member that has great experience in fighting games as far as I know. Someone can clarify.

But anyway, we'll see in May.

oh man just imagine Kratos vs Cloud, Spiderman vs Crash

like some people said. With the current 3rd Party Partnerships, its the best time

Top Bottom