• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Zukkoyaki

kinda off but, wouldnt this be a dreamy collaboration:

DKVjcYZWsAUQLTQ.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/genDESIGN_Inc/status/910720280581914624
I'm not sure someone would be able to play a game like that without suffering an complete emotional breakdown.

I've been playing Resogun multiplayer again, and DAMN, it's still as fun as ever. Love arcade, love survival, love protector. In between, I played some co-op in Lost Legacy/UC4 (really fun!) and I started the Nathan Drake Collection yesterday for my UC2/UC3 goodness (could only get an hour into UC1).

But seriously, if you've never played Resogun, get off your butt.

I've been playing Resogun multiplayer again, and DAMN, it's still as fun as ever. Love arcade, love survival, love protector. In between, I played some co-op in Lost Legacy/UC4 (really fun!) and I started the Nathan Drake Collection yesterday for my UC2/UC3 goodness (could only get an hour into UC1).

But seriously, if you've never played Resogun, get off your butt.
I've been getting pressured to play Resogun by some other people I know. I want to but I got too many games and too little time. :p

I will try to bump it up my backlog though.

Not really 1st party but I feel like a Crash Team Racing remake reveal is a guarantee at PSX (with a slight chance of it being at PGW instead). I'm gonna guess it'll launch for $20 digitally in April with a retail release with it and the N'sane trilogy the same day at $40. It'll be exclusive at launch but will release on Xbox One and Switch in fall 2018. Less likely but I think a completely new Crash platformer will be announced at PSX as well. It'll release in the first half of 2019 but release on PS4, Xbox One and Switch at the same time.

I've been getting pressured to play Resogun by some other people I know. I want to but I got too many games and too little time. :p

I will try to bump it up my backlog though.

Resogun is a pretty good game to play in quick bursts, though. The perfect palate cleanser between heavier games.

It'll be exclusive at launch but will release on Xbox One and Switch in fall 2018.

CTR is a Sony IP, as the original game was published by Sony (hence why the "sequel" wasn't CTR2, but Crash Nitro Kart instead). If it gets remade, it will be a full exclusive.

FelipeMGM

CTR is a Sony IP, as the original game was published by Sony (hence why the "sequel" wasn't CTR2, but Crash Nitro Kart instead). If it gets remade, it will be a full exclusive.

The OG Crash trilogy was also funded and published by Sony, but the games were still Universal property licensed to SCE at the time

What seems to be the case with CTR is while Universal still owned the property it was based on, SCE owned the game itself. Thats where the ''Sony owns CTR'' talk comes from it seems

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody has to have hype for the title :(

True. I'll agree that it will probably will be the most original/unique/innovative new IP this generation but whether or not Dreams turns out to be a good game remains to be seen.

Sucker Punch still radio silent. I think it's safe to assume that whatever they were working on got cancelled or got a major overhaul. It's been too long for a studio that was very competent in almost every department, not a trailer, teaser, a leak, nothing.

Sucker Punch still radio silent. I think it's safe to assume that whatever they were working on got cancelled or got a major overhaul. It's been too long for a studio that was very competent in almost every department, not a trailer, teaser, a leak, nothing.

New IPs commonly take 4-6 years to make. Its been 3 years since first light.

I doubt anything will top Bloodborne for me.

BB is game of the gen to me. I think FROM Software's new IP ARPG could dethrone it, though.

Yoshida has played it multiple times. He seemed pretty excited about it.

It is not safe to assume that.

Uh, no.

Sony have been Killing it with there game pipeline.

I think the only reason it hasn't been announced is because they haven't needed to.

Hoping to see it at PSX but wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait til E3.

Funny to think that some of these studios will be moving on to PS5 projects soon.

pswii60

Playdead is a very talented studio. Looking forward to their next project. Hopefully this one doesn't take over half a decade to release.
For anyone who likes Playdead's games, I absolutely have to recommend Little Nightmares which scratched a very similar itch to Limbo and Inside. It's a fantastic game and if you haven't played it, might help towards filling the long wait for Playdead's next project.

FelipeMGM

I mean, they are working on a new IP, and could be a major shift for them in that matter. Guerrilla complete overhaul from concept to shipping Horizon was almost 6 years, and they were a bigger studio than Sucker Punch, whom for today standards are not that big (~150 people, while Guerrilla is ~260 and Naughty Dog ~380 for example)

And their last game shipped in August 2014, so its been barely 3 years since then, not that long really.

But that's the thing, we don't even know if it's a new IP. We know nothing.

Edit:perhaps a troubled development? If it's a new IP.

according to Shinobi its a new IP

But that's the thing, we don't even know if it's a new IP. We know nothing.

Edit:perhaps a troubled development? If it's a new IP.

Shinobi leaked a while ago that it's a new IP. That being said:

Guerrilla started work on Horizon, a new IP, in 2011. We first heard about it four years later at E3 2015.

Bend Studio released a turn-based card game of Uncharted in 2012. They finally went into full production with Days Gone, a new IP, in 2015 and we first heard about it in 2016, another four year gap.

These things take time. Also remember that Sucker Punch isn't the size of Naughty Dog or Guerrilla, either.

FWIW, the Glassdoor reviews of Sucker Punch paint a pretty consistent picture of a team that wants to make something great but has no idea whatsoever what that thing exactly is.

July 11th 2017:

I worked at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (More than 3 years)
Pros
Small company vibe
Very talented people
Project could be fantastic
Open floor plan so communication is easy
Great benefits and perks with Sony

Cons
Leadership is extremely poor
Low pay
Meeting after meeting after meeting
Management is embarrassing and everyone knows it

Advice to Management
Treat your employees better and be upfront with issues
Empower your employees and trust them
Producers have too much power
Update your tools

May 27th 2017:

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (More than 5 years)
Pros
Our current project has potential to be great and the team is excited to make something amazing. Many talented and friendly people at the studio and generally a very relaxed place to work. Good compensation and benefits and the new office is neat.

Cons
The current project has no vision which makes it hard to know what we're working towards. Art team constantly gets jerked around by poor design and art leadership. Some key gameplay features have stalled for over a year with no real accountability.

Advice to Management
Empower those on the team that know what they're doing to get this project moving. We want to make something great and we're held back by a lack of vision and decisive leadership.

October 4th 2016:

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time
Pros
Place is full of very talented people and coworkers. Enjoy working with most of them.
Cons
Management struggles a bit. Leadership is hard to read and changes minds/directions frequently.
Advice to Management
Trust your employees more. Less micromanagement.

February 29th 2016:

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (More than 5 years)
Pros
The studio is filled with talented people. The freedom given and independence expected is great. This is a relaxed, easygoing company to work for.

Cons
We're rudderless. There's little direction from top. All these talented people are wasting their time making internal demos. Promises are made about "creating something special" and "making something amazing" but nothing is ever delivered. One senior partner has spent almost a year ignoring advice and input on developing a next-gen system without showing anything for it. So much is invested in engineering that creative development is forgotten.

Advice to Management
Give us a game to work on. Don't just make us rehash more mechanics demos. Trust your instincts and write the game first. If you can't do that, get out of the way and let someone else do it. Vacuous "pillars" and "razor statements" are only getting in the way of making anything.

March 24th 2016:

I worked at Sucker Punch Productions full-time
Pros
Talented and friendly coworkers.
Excellent pay.
Convivial studio culture.
Sony's benefits package is quite robust, and they seem to give the studio tremendous leeway (perhaps too much).

Cons
Management has completely failed to make important leadership decisions, resulting in a power vacuum and internal politics among senior employees jockeying for position, with disastrous consequences for studio morale and direction.
Studio has been bleeding talent for years.
Shockingly poor diversity among employees, along with bad attitudes towards its value in the first place.
Complete disregard for the value of narrative or creative direction in their development, preferring to follow "tried and true" concepts, resulting in uninspired or unconsidered creative decisions.

Advice to Management
Find the courage to make creative decisions on your own, instead of submitting all creative issues to design by committee. And if you insist on design by committee, don't give equal weight to the people who have no interest or appreciation for creativity.
Also, recognize the people in your studio that are more interested in gaining power and prestige than they are in making a good game. They've slowly taken control of your company away from you, and your employees know it.
Your studio's problems are coming from your lack of leadership. A fish rots from the head down.

Almost every review of the company from 2016 on is just "jesus christ, stick to a fucking vision already and quit second guessing literally everything."

The potential is unsurprisingly there but they just need to hammer it down and stop being indecisive. So, we can assume internal issues coupled with the troubles that come from developing a new IP are keeping this from being revealed yet.

Development troubles are nothing new, of course, but it does give us perspective on the wait.

Reading through these Glassdoor reviews for various studios is pretty interesting. Sony Santa Monica's management got praised a lot (though apparently they work in a small studio in terms of actual physical space? That was the main complain I saw) and Naughty Dog's employees seem pretty happy other than the crunch whereas Rockstar San Diego's reviews are just "This is insane, they're treating us like slaves and they banned access to the internet."

Wish that Rockstar had responded to GTA 5 breaking all sales records by treating their employees better.

FelipeMGM

FWIW, the Glassdoor reviews of Sucker Punch paint a pretty consistent picture of a team that wants to make something great but has no idea whatsoever what that thing exactly is.

yeah, solely judging these its no wonder they are still in the dark about it

And thats fine, dont do it unless you feel confident with it and have gone through these development bumps stronger

Reading through these Glassdoor reviews for various studios is pretty interesting. Sony Santa Monica's management got praised a lot (though apparently they work in a small studio in terms of actual physical space? That was the main complain I saw) and Naughty Dog's employees seem pretty happy other than the crunch whereas Rockstar San Diego's reviews are just "This is insane, they're treating us like slaves and they banned access to the internet."

Wish that Rockstar had responded to GTA 5 breaking all sales records by treating their employees better.

I also started to read a bunch of them. Naughty Dog lines up so well with what Jason Schreier wrote on his book. Creative freedom with no producers and even devs who dont mind the crunch and rather embrace it

Also, from when is that SMS review about the space? They moved in 2014 to a way bigger place

yeah, solely judging these its no wonder they are still in the dark about it

And thats fine, dont do it unless you feel confident with it and have gone through these development bumps stronger

I also started to read a bunch of them. Naughty Dog lines up so well with what Jason Schreier wrote on his book. Creative freedom with no producers and even devs who dont mind the crunch and rather embrace it

Also, from when is that SMS review about the space? They moved in 2014 to a way bigger place

2013 so I guess Sony did take care of their main problem which is good.

orochi91

What?

According to those Glassdoor reviews, that new SP IP doesn't seem very far along, like, at all.

In fact, if those reviews are to be believed, should we even be hyped for the end product?

It doesn't sound appealing whatsoever.

Sounds bad, discouraging really.

Indeed...

:/

What?

According to those Glassdoor reviews, that new SP IP doesn't seem very far along, like, at all.

In fact, if those reviews are to be believed, should we even be hyped for the end product?

Indeed...

I mean, they're a good studio.

It just takes time to just blunt force come up with a new idea. It's difficult to start development and go "okay, we're going to make something new here but we don't know what." It seems less far along than I would have guessed, but it will probably turn out fine since Sony will give them all the time in the world to make it and they're good at making games.

And this isn't completely uncommon. As mentioned above, Sony Bend spent like 3 years going "so... what game are we actually making here" before starting on Days Gone.

That sounds believable coming off of inFamous. The IP has always felt like something that had great potential, but didn't really try to break out on its own and do new things to push the genre ahead. I liked Second Son a lot but it felt like a lot of the same. Like they're clearly a talented studio but they lack creative vision in leadership to go above and beyond.

What?

Indeed...

Did we read the same thing? The reviews say the product has potential to be great. I mean, sure, that doesn't mean we should necessarily be head over heels but what info are you reading that suggests the product isn't appealing?

The reviews sound like what others have said about Sucker Punch. I think I read a few years ago from somebody who worked there that management thinks they know more than they do, or think they know everything, or something. This was even before 2016, so I'm assuming the same things were said leading up to Infamous: Second Son.

Skeeter49

It took Guerrilla 6 years to make Horizon, MM 6+ years to make Dreams, new IP's are taking longer, and that's most likely what SP are working on, and new IP that's open world. The safer assumption is it's probably content heavy, more than Second Son which I would argue felt extremely short, with more complex systems, so it's probably taking them longer.

It's been 3 years since First Light launched, they're fine, especially if the game comes out soon after reveal, with a late 2018 release or early 2019 release.

lol. Damn, dude. What a leap.

That sounds believable coming off of inFamous. The IP has always felt like something that had great potential, but didn't really try to break out on its own and do new things to push the genre ahead. I liked Second Son a lot but it felt like a lot of the same. Like they're clearly a talented studio but they lack creative vision in leadership to go above and beyond.

Yeah. I always thought they did a great job making games that are really fun to play but when it came to the mission design, world and writing, things fell a little flat. Hopefully they figure things out at some point, though it sounds like they'd really need a management shakeup to get there.

That last review in particular, which talks about the shocking lack of diversity and the attitudes about it, isn't really a good sign though.

How old are those SSM reviews? Because they got a new studio in 2014 and it seems fine in terms of size judging by other large studios i've seen

our-story1-desktop5ds5c.jpg

orochi91

Did we read the same thing? The reviews say the product has potential to be great. I mean, sure, that doesn't mean we should necessarily be head over heels but what info are you reading that suggests the product isn't appealing?

The current project has no vision which makes it hard to know what we're working towards. Art team constantly gets jerked around by poor design and art leadership.

Leadership is hard to read and changes minds/directions frequently.

Promises are made about "creating something special" and "making something amazing" but nothing is ever delivered.

Complete disregard for the value of narrative or creative direction in their development, preferring to follow "tried and true" concepts, resulting in uninspired or unconsidered creative decisions.

These seem pretty damning, as they're reflective of what's actually happening at SP.

Potential is there, for sure, but none of this is inspiring any confidence in the final product.

I'm tempering expectations going forward, with respect to SP's new IP.

These seem pretty damning, as they're reflective of what's actually happening at SP.

Potential is there, for sure, but none of this is inspiring any confidence in the final product.

I'm tempering expectations going forward, with respect to SP's new IP.

I mean, these sound like they don't know what their game is and should be exactly yet.

They need a clear vision and then to stick to it but once they get past that point (and this should have been decided like year 1, not year 4 it's true), they'll probably make a good game.

But maybe expect to wait a bit longer.

Top Bottom