• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Exclusive to PS4 for a certain period and then coming out to PC is a pretty good strategy for Sony I feel. I mean most of the sales will come during the first week/month and maybe Sony selling more hardware due that piece of software being exclusive there and then. The publisher will enjoy a second flurry of sales later when it comes out on PC/Steam or whatever and I doubt it hurts PS4 sales because most of the potential PS4 owners probably already bought it then.

Not really sure why Sony would put games on PC. If they didn't consider it competition before, they should start to think of it as now. It would be foolish otherwise.

The current strategy is successful and the PS4 is doing extremely well. Why risk a selling point of your platform?
I think stuff like Helldivers and F2P would be fine. Just an extra way to get revenue for smaller games that can easily get overshadowed.

RSchmitz

Exclusive to PS4 for a certain period and then coming out to PC is a pretty good strategy for Sony I feel. I mean most of the sales will come during the first week/month and maybe Sony selling more hardware due that piece of software being exclusive there and then. The publisher will enjoy a second flurry of sales later when it comes out on PC/Steam or whatever and I doubt it hurts PS4 sales because most of the potential PS4 owners probably already bought it then.

If they aren't shady or straight up lie about it being exclusive I have no problems with that.
I bought both DQ Heroes and Nioh because I believed it wouldn't be on pc (there were "only on PS" tags), which is the version I would have prefered to own.
Never again, on PS4 it's first party studios only for me now.

If they aren't shady or straight up lie about it being exclusive I have no problems with that.
I bought both DQ Heroes and Nioh because I believed it wouldn't be on pc (there were "only on PS" tags), which is the version I would have prefered to own.

In the case of Nioh, I'm not convinced it'll be a good port anyway. For DQ Heroes, I get that.

I agree with that.

AmuroChan

Yep, shady marketing is the name of the game in today's gaming industry. Technically Nioh isn't on PC. It's Nioh: Complete Edition that will be on PC. Every word said at these conferences are carefully manicured by the PR/Marketing dept.

Papacheeks

Banned

Yea, I agree Sony needs to make a choice or take a stance on their wording when discussing exclusive games on their platform.
I will say though common sense usually should be used when the games in question are not owned by Sony or even Published.

Like it's Sega's decision if they want to bring Yakuza to PC. Which with games like Bayonetta, Vanquish doing well on steam I feel may become more of a possibility.
Anything that Tecmo/Koei comes out with usually some how makes it's way to PC.

Thing's from Atlus that's a different story.
But if Sony just did the Console exclusive on games like Yakuza, Ni-oh it would make much more sense even with a later release to PC.
I mean with them saying "Playstation Console exclusive" they are not wrong in that it won't be coming to other consoles.

If Sony games are on PC? Sure it hurts hardware sales. It creates a narrative of having "no exclusives" much like MS that has a definite impact.

Sony clearly sees PC as competition even if they outwardly say otherwise. The Pro was created to stop mid-gen folks from hopping to PC and keeping them in the console ecosystem.

It's the issue that MS has right now. If all Sony games are on PC, what reason do I have to buy a PS4? I don't own an XB1 because the system is completely and utterly uncessary if you have a decent PC.

If Sony games are on PC? Sure it hurts hardware sales. It creates a narrative of having "no exclusives" much like MS that has a definite impact.

Sony clearly sees PC as competition even if they outwardly say otherwise. The Pro was created to stop mid-gen folks from hopping to PC and keeping them in the console ecosystem.

It's the issue that MS has right now. If all Sony games are on PC, what reason do I have to buy a PS4? I don't own an XB1 because the system is completely and utterly uncessary if you have a decent PC.

I meant the third party games. I doubt we will ever see AAA Sony games on PC.

I don't think Sony is interested in paying for them. They know something like final fantasy, metal gear, kingdom hearts, yakuza etc... will sell more on their platform regardless of whether they go on other platforms. In a lot of cases, games are default timed exclusives anyways

Pretty much. I also get the impression that even with their moneyhats, they want to avoid putting developers/publishers in a position like the one Microsoft put Japanese publishers in when all their moneyhatted 360 exclusives bombed. Kinda similar to how Adam Boyes encouraged indies to go multiplatform and Andrew House wasn't comfortable dominating the VR market.

That said, I don't see the big deal if third party PS4 exclusives come to PC somewhere down the line. I don't take the Persona 5/Yakuza PC "teases" seriously but if they did happen (and again, I doubt Sega Europe has much say, especially in regards to Atlus), it doesn't bother me at all. I've been a fan of both series since way back on the PS2 (Yakuza 1 and Persona 3 specifically), so I'll just be happy to see either series grow.

And there's still a number of games that haven't gone to PC, like Yakuza, Persona, Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy, so if you avoid every game assuming it'll go to PC later, you're going to miss out on some great games.

Some people would rather wait to play it on their preferred platform

But until a game gets announced for your preferred platform, you have no idea whether it will release on it at all. In which case, if you have a PS4, just buy the PS4 exclusive on your PS4 and don't care whether it releases later elsewhere... you've already played and enjoyed the game.

BigEmil

Yep same here

Any third party game now on that they say is "exclusive to PS4" I won't buy that for atleast 1-2 years see if it actually is exclusive, if it is actually real exclusive then that's when I buy it on PS4

delSai

Waiting 1-2 years
Jeez, i already get inpatient waiting a month for Injustice DLC, let alone for a game to release lol, i couldn't wait for a game i'm really interested in when i can already play it. But that's just me.

Shin-Ra

Dreams scraps: work experience kid character creations!

https://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/yaseens_work_experience_at_mm

Yaseens-Magnethead-Penguin-Character-Made-in-Dreams.png

Yaseens-Character-Made-in-Dreams-1.jpg

But how do you know, at the time of release when Nioh was coming out on PS4, there was a PC version even planned? Koei Tecmo probably decided to port it after the PS4 version was received so well.

Sometimes these plans are made at a later date.

The attitude over the last few pages of this thread is funny. Go back a few months and Sony was having one of its best years ever, and now the sentiment is completely different despite the release schedule looking as strong as ever. Gamers are so fickle.

Waiting 1-2 years
Jeez, i already get inpatient waiting a month for Injustice DLC, let alone for a game to release lol, i couldn't wait for a game i'm really interested in when i can already play it. But that's just me.

Yep there is no way i am waiting that long to play a game i want.
Even more so if it has any sort of MP like Nioh .

Loudninja

But how do you know, at the time of release when Nioh was coming out on PS4, there was a PC version even planned? Koei Tecmo probably decided to port it after the PS4 version was received so well.

The attitude over the last few pages of this thread is funny. Go back a few months and Sony was having one of its best years ever, and now the sentiment is completely different despite the release schedule looking as strong as ever. Gamers are so fickle.
Yeah some really odd reactions.

Sony had a fantastic year. Gotta be up there with the best years of theirs.

delSai

Yep there is no way i am waiting that long to play a game i want.
Even more so if it has any sort of MP like Nioh .
And when it's story heavy you have to dodge spoilers unless you dont care. My friends casually spoiled Heavy Rain and GTA4 for me so yea... Waiting is no option for me lol.

Sssssshhh with your logic and reason!!

It HAS to be because of shady messaging and evil corporations. That's the most cynical option and so obviously the most realistic... duh!

I’ve long since said this thread turns into some shit when there’s nothing to talk about lol

All that aside I’ll take anything I can get from dreams

pswii60

God of War, Horizon, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, UC4 and TLL, Dreams, Detroit, The Last Guardian, SotC remake, The Last of Us 2... what more do you want?
They were all unveiled at a single conference? I think you've misunderstand somewhere along the line, where did I ever say anything bad about Sony's first party line up?! I think it's amazing. I just said that conferences never live up to the hype.

RSchmitz

Shadow Of The Colossus PS4 was rated in Australia already. Release shouldn't be too far then, guess they will really hit that Early 2018 window

dont pay attention to the multiplatform thing, its a common issue in the AUS classification website

Wasn't Gravity Rush for PS4 (also by BluePoint) rated way before release too?
I hope it's soon, but I also hope they take all the time they need.

FelipeMGM

Sony had a fantastic year. Gotta be up there with the best years of theirs.

its their best this generation for sure. SIE published/will publish 22 first party games in 2017

New Software: 13
-Gravity Rush 2
-Horizon: Zero Dawn
-MLB 17: The Show
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack 2
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

Re-releases: 4
-PaRappa the Rapper Remastered
-LocoRoco Remastered
-WipEout: Omega Collection
-Patapon Remastered

PSVR: 4
-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team

thats an impressive output

its their best this generation for sure. SIE published/will publish 22 first party games in 2017

New Software: 15
-Gravity Rush 2
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack 2
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

-LocoRoco Remastered
-Patapon Remastered

-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team

Bought 4 (Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, TLL, Knack 2) of those. Solid year for me.

-Gravity Rush 2
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack 2
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

-LocoRoco Remastered
-Patapon Remastered

-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team

I own or will own everything on this list except singstar and drawn to death.....I need help

Wonderful year for Sony releases, with more to come.

And 2018 might actually top 2017, or at least be around the same level.

-Gravity Rush 2
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack 2
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

-LocoRoco Remastered
-Patapon Remastered

-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team

Good shit. That's not even counting all the exclusive/console exclusive stuff from their 3rd party publishers.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

-Gravity Rush 2
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack 2
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

-LocoRoco Remastered
-Patapon Remastered

-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team

You only have 13 games listed under new software. Out of those 13 games, I purchased 4 of them - Horizon: Zero Dawn, Knack 2, Matterfall and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. No games for re-releases or psvr. 2018 should surpass 2017 for me from Sony barring delays.

Shin-Ra

PS2 classics like Jak & Dexter are re-releases, classifying WipEout Omega Collection like that is greatly underselling it’s qualities.

SIE actually published/is set to publish 25. Gonna edit Felipe's list and bold what I added:

New Software: 14
-Gravity Rush 2
-Nioh
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack II
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

Re-releases: 6
-Malicious Fallen
-LocoRoco Remastered
-LocoRoco 2 Remastered
-Patapon Remastered

PSVR: 5
-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team
-Stifled

If I'm not mistaken, three other PSVR games they are releasing are Kill X, The Walker and Legion Commander.

It's not just how much they've done despite how much bigger many games have gotten; it's the quality that overall is quite high. You can find PS1 days where they published a billion games, many times in conjunction with a third party (they helped publish Final Fantasy FFVII with Squaresoft, for example), but there were many games that would average 40 - 50 percent with reviews. The overall quality of their output has risen the last couple gens.

I don't know what else they plan on releasing for 2018. These are confirmed for 2018:

Detroit: Become Human
Frantics (VR)
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Spider-Man

These are possibilities:

Days Gone
Dreams
WiLD

These won't:

Death Stranding
The Last of Us Part II

FelipeMGM

SIE actually published/is set to publish 25. Gonna edit Felipe's list and bold what I added:

New Software: 14
-Gravity Rush 2
-Nioh
-Drawn to Death
-That's You
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf
-Knack II
-Gran Turismo Sport
-Hidden Agenda
-Knowledge Is Power
-SingStar Celebration

Re-releases: 6
-Malicious Fallen
-LocoRoco Remastered
-LocoRoco 2 Remastered
-Patapon Remastered

PSVR: 5
-Starblood Arena
-Farpoint
-The Inpatient
-Bravo Team
-Stifled

If I'm not mistaken, three other PSVR games they are releasing are Kill X, The Walker and Legion Commander.

I actually had Nioh and Malicious Fallen listed too, but while they were published by SIE in the west, Im not strong on calling them first party games so I crossed them out

I believe Stifled will be a similar situation too, SIE will publish but the game prob will be self published on other platforms later. It even has a Steam page up and devs have been dodgy about other platforms in interviews, but never deny it. So because of that I didnt list it too

These other 3 PSVR Chinese games are confirmed for the west, but I dont think its confirmed SIE will publish them

I even read everything on the first page of this thread and am still not 100% on it besides tapping into Chinese developers and bringing some of that stuff to the west. =P
It’s essentially trying to broaden the scope of players and attract appeal for the titles worldwide get the devs to branch out

RSchmitz

-Gravity Rush 2
-Matterfall
-Everybody's Golf

Those are the ones I got this year.
I'll still buy Patapon and Horizon DLC.

You only have 13 games listed under new software. Out of those 13 games, I purchased 4 of them - Horizon: Zero Dawn, Knack 2, Matterfall and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. No games for re-releases or psvr. 2018 should surpass 2017 for me from Sony barring delays.

Yeah, 2018 looks better than 2017 for me too.

The only first party stuff I've bought this year: Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted Lost Legacy (these are also the only Sony exclusive games I've bought in 2017).

Next year, I'm stoked for Spider-Man, God of War, and Days Gone (assuming they all make it in 2018). I'll probably purchase Detroit as well.

Yeah, 2018 looks better than 2017 for me too.

The only first party stuff I've bought this year: Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted Lost Legacy (those are actually the only Sony exclusive games I've bought in 2017).

Next year, I'm stoked for Spider-Man, God of War, and Days Gone (assuming they all make it). I'll probably purchase Detroit as well.
You shouldn’t be I hear a large amount of ppl will hate it

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For those of us who love japanese games, it would take some major work to surpass 2017 IMO

For those of us who love japanese games, it would take some major work to surpass 2017 IMO

Yeah, that's totally true. I don't enjoy Japanese games for the most part, which is why I don't find 2017 to be the amazing year that many people do. I'm also not into Nintendo stuff at all.

Top Bottom