• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Neath

Neo Member
I always hear people say they love the PS4 platform for the exclusive games, but other than one or two on this list, there is really nothing that interests me at all.

However, I am not a big fan of the Japanese style singleplayer games, so maybe that's what everyone loves?

farisr

I had rented SOTC and played it for like 20 minutes, but then my PS2's laser messed up. Never got back to it. So will definitely be giving it a proper shot this time around.
I always hear people say they love the PS4 platform for the exclusive games, but other than one or two on this list, there is really nothing that interests me at all.
Everyone has their preferences.
However, I am not a big fan of the Japanese style singleplayer games, so maybe that's what everyone loves?
Well no, not just that, I mean for me even their non-Japanese style single player games are strong like Horizon Zero Dawn, inFAMOUS, Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy, Until Dawn, Resogun, Tearaway, MLB etc. And have a good upcoming lineup with Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, Days Gone, The Last Of Us 2. I'd be totally more than satisfied with just that, but then on top of it there's the japanese offerings and it really takes it to another level after the likes of Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, Yakuza, Persona get thrown into the mix.

But yeah, it may be their general focus of what to offer via exclusives may not gel with you. Like for instance, I can totally understand if someone is into multiplayer games mainly, that they would likely not be into the PS4 exclusive offering.

RSchmitz

I wish I could play SotC for the first time again.
All I hope for the remake is for it to give me a little of the same feeling that I had finding every colossus.

Neath

Neo Member
I mean for me even their non-Japanese style single player games are strong like Horizon Zero Dawn, inFAMOUS, Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy, Until Dawn, Resogun, Tearaway, MLB etc. And have a good upcoming lineup with Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, Days Gone, The Last Of Us 2. I'd be totally more than satisfied with just that, but then on top of it there's the japanese offerings and it really takes it to another level after the likes of Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, Yakuza, Persona get thrown into the mix.

But yeah, it may be their general focus of what to offer via exclusives may not gel with you. Like for instance, I can totally understand if someone is into multiplayer games mainly, that they would likely not be into the PS4 exclusive offering.

Yeah I am kind of in the boat where I mainly play multiplayer games. The only PS exclusives I am interested in TLOU and Horizon Zero Dawn, also Days Gone in the future. However, I hardly like any of the Xbox exclusives either, only Forza and State of Decay mainly.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Cant wait for God Of War!! Norse mythology setting appears to be such a good fit, loving those lost pages podcast they are releasing.

Other than that:
- Spider Man
- Death Stranding
- Days Gone
- TLOU 2: As a person who has bought every ND game after UC2 day 1, somehow I'm kinda feeling burn out of ND games, dont know why.

And not first party, but so looking forward to playing Ni No Kuni 2.

De_Legend

Banned
Yeah I am kind of in the boat where I mainly play multiplayer games. The only PS exclusives I am interested in TLOU and Horizon Zero Dawn, also Days Gone in the future. However, I hardly like any of the Xbox exclusives either, only Forza and State of Decay mainly.

And you can play them Xbox games on PC now.

1. The Last of Us Part II. The follow up to my favorite game of all time
2. Spider-Man
3. God of War
4. Days Gone
5. Detroit
6. Death Stranding
7. Shadow of the Colossus
8. Dreams

PlayStation's upcoming exclusive lineup is exceptional. Their lineup has never appealed more to my personal tastes in Sony's history.

Sucker Punch's new game will likely shoot up to #4 on my list after it's announced.

You're focusing too much on Spider-Man outselling another game. It doesn't matter if it fails to outsell Part II. Spider-Man being successful on its own is more important because of what it could potentially mean for the Sony x Marvel partnership.

Square Enix/Eidos is the publisher with the Marvel licenses. Even if Spider-Man does really well, I don't think we'll get another Sony exclusive Marvel game except more maybe a Spider-Man sequel.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
100% day one purchases -

1. Days Gone
2. God of War
3. The Last of Us Part II
4. Spider Man

50/50 -

1. Death Stranding
2. Detroit: Become Human

Zero interest -

1. Dreams
2. Shadow of the Colossus

Also have the Horizon DLC pre-ordered since June or something like that. Days Gone is my number one most wanted game overall but I also think that it's at least a year away. :(

100% day one purchases -

1. Days Gone
2. God of War
3. The Last of Us Part II
4. Spider Man

50/50 -

1. Death Stranding
2. Detroit: Become Human

Zero interest -

1. Dreams
2. Shadow of the Colossus

Also have the Horizon DLC pre-ordered since June or something like that. Days Gone is my number one most wanted game overall but I also think that it's at least a year away. :(

I'm in basically the same boat as you in terms of the games I'm interested in. I would put the same games in the exact same 3 categories.

So stoked for my pre-ordered Horizon DLC. The GOTY is about to get even better.

Shadow of the Colossus is my only day 1 game no matter what. I just haven't bought many games this year because I've been satisfied with F2P stuff. God of War, Spider-Man and maybe Dreams are my only other possibly day 1 games.

I'm confused. I said Spider-Man would be Sony's most important game, and then you responded to me saying TLoU 2 would sell more.

What does "most important game" even mean if not the "biggest success"?

How are you ascribing importance? On what basis are you defining it?

I think from Sony's perspective, their own (fully owned) IP are more important to them than an IP licensed from Marvel.

So whatever way you're defining importance, I disagree that Spider-man would be more important to Sony than their own IPs.

I think from Sony's perspective, their own (fully owned) IP are more important to them than an IP licensed from Marvel.

So whatever way you're defining importance, I disagree that Spider-man would be more important to Sony than their own IPs.

Not that I agree with him, but Spider-man has much more casual appeal than pretty much anything else in Sony's lineup, the closest thing being TLoU2 because zombies. Spider-man has a fanbase that reaches much, much further than the main gamer demographic.

At this point in the console life-cycle, appealing to the more casual market starts becoming more and more important to keep sales momentum. A good Spidey game will sell consoles because Spidey.

Not that I agree with him, but Spider-man has much more casual appeal than pretty much anything else in Sony's lineup, the closest thing being TLoU2 because zombies. Spider-man has a fanbase that reaches much, much further than the main gamer demographic.

At this point in the console life-cycle, appealing to the more casual market starts becoming more and more important to keep sales momentum. A good Spidey game will sell consoles because Spidey.

And yet, this isn't the first Spider-man game, and Spider-man hasn't all of a sudden become the worldwide most popular superhero character in the last few years.

Of the points you mention did little to push sales of previous entries in the Spider-man series past 10m unit, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect that level of success from the first promising Spider-man game in a very long time.

When it comes to licensed superhero games, there has been such a long and storied legacy of publishers shitting out poor quality licensed shovelware that Insomniac's Spider-man will have a reasonable job of overcoming the stigma engendered by said legacy.

Case in point, Arkham Asylum is probably the most successful licensed superhero franchise, and that series only hit critical mass in terms of significant sales success by its second entry.

When we consider that it's the very same casual gamer consumer-base who are less informed and thus got burned out by the last decade of shitty Spider-man games, it becomes clearer that the sales picture isn't as straightforward as, "Spider-man is a huge IP, thus a game based on it will sell gangbusters".

When we consider that it's the very same casual gamer consumer-base who are less informed and thus got burned out by the last decade of shitty Spider-man games, it becomes clearer that the sales picture isn't as straightforward as, "Spider-man is a huge IP, thus a game based on it will sell gangbusters".

It definitely isn't a straightforward proposition, indeed. My main point was that, given a good game and competent marketing campaign, Spider-man has the potential to have a larger impact on the future of the PS4 as a platform, because it has potential to drive growth regardless of being the biggest seller.

How many years has it been since the last Spider-Man game? I don't think burn out means much here. A new with much higher quality will release and it will sell very well.

For the purpose of this discussion, it is just about how much will it sell relative to TLoU pt II, not if Spider-Man will sell very well in its own right.

It definitely isn't a straightforward proposition, indeed. My main point was that, given a good game and competent marketing campaign, Spider-man has the potential to have a larger impact on the future of the PS4 as a platform, because it has potential to drive growth regardless of being the biggest seller.

I wouldn't really argue with that.

Quite how much it drives growth, however, would depend on how much of a success it is. If the game releases to 90+ MC scores, and Sony puts a hefty marketing campaign behind it, then it does have potential.

Insomniac will deliver the goods though. There's no question in my mind about that.

The God

Important is probably the wrong word. What I'm saying is I think the possible consequences of it being a success are a bigger deal.

I don't think Spider-Man will do as well as a lot of people are thinking. The Last of Us 2 might be Sony's best selling game in the PS4's lifetime and I don't think Spider-Man will be close to it. TLoU2 is I think nearly a lock for over 10 million sales and I'll be surprised if Spider-Man gets over 7 million.

Neith

Banned
You heard it here first. Spider-Man PS4 to sell in the region of 24-30 million copies.

That would be great lol, but yes this game easily has a shot at 10m if they play their cards right and everything goes well including reviews. Spiderman is huge. If you get this game running properly I fail to see how it will not break 10m in 5 years or so.

IDK man, I think the Spider thirst is there for gamers, and we have wanted a game that is open world with great graphics for along time. I would not be surprised at all to see it above 10m after 4 or 5 years.

Wait; who is claiming that Spider-Man will sell 24 - 30 million copies?! They're joking; right?!

In the mainstream gaming consciousness Sony has maybe 4 brands which will create ripples as big as Spider-Man (God of War possible, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo). If they get a Spider-Man game as good as the Arkham games and market it right it'll be a huge success for them.

Still far too optimistic... I'm thinking more 5-7m.

Yes, this seems realistic. But even so, 5-7 million sales for a first-party exclusive is massive; especially for what would effectively be the first game in a new series.

Shin-Ra

Wait; who is claiming that Spider-Man will sell 24 - 30 million copies?! They're joking; right?!
ShuThumbs.gif

Hell no, even the low budget mediocre Spiderman games sells buttloads, this time with Insomniac going all in and could possibly be the best Spiderman game of all time Spiderman will triple TLOU sales

TLOU mostly by PS fans and Spiderman bought by the majority even people from other platforms this game can be a system seller to them

Important is probably the wrong word. What I'm saying is I think the possible consequences of it being a success are a bigger deal.

I think Spider-man 2018 is Marvel's most important licensed game to date and the consequences are a bigger deal to Marvel than they are to Sony (although Sony will benefit greatly from Spider-man becoming a major success).

80 million across 5 platforms.

Crikey!!!! :-O

In the mainstream gaming consciousness Sony has maybe 4 brands which will create ripples as big as Spider-Man (God of War possible, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo). If they get a Spider-Man game as good as the Arkham games and market it right it'll be a huge success for them.

Yes, this seems realistic. But even so, 5-7 million sales for a first-party exclusive is massive; especially for what would effectively be the first game in a new series.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Uncharted 4 has already sold well over 7m. TLOU2 will break 10m without blinking, GoW is very likely to exceed 7m and GT Sport has a good chance. Hell, Horizon Zero Dawn may already be past this number.

Yes Spider-man is a huge IP, but the reality is that this has never historically translated to a Spider-man game selling gangbusters... Ok, you can argue that we've never had an Insomniac Spider-man game, which is true, but the Insomniac seal of quality isn't going to automatically produce a major sales success... Sony still needs to get the marketing on point, and the game still needs to overcome the history of the last decade of shitty Spider-man games that may have left a bad taste in the mouths of more casual gamers (who are unlikely to even know who Insomniac are).

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Uncharted 4 has already sold well over 7m. TLOU2 will break 10m without blinking, GoW is very likely to exceed 7m and GT Sport has a good chance. Hell, Horizon Zero Dawn may already be past this number.

Yes Spider-man is a huge IP, but the reality is that this has never historically translated to a Spider-man game selling gangbusters... Ok, you can argue that we've never had an Insomniac Spider-man game, which is true, but the Insomniac seal of quality isn't going to automatically produce a major sales success... Sony still needs to get the marketing on point, and the game still needs to overcome the history of the last decade of shitty Spider-man games that may have left a bad taste in the mouths of more casual gamers (who are unlikely to even know who Insomniac are).

Sales numbers are only a part of what I was talking about, so no it's not a contradiction. Everyone knows Spider-Man. My 4 year old son knows Spider-Man, but of course he doesn't know GoW or Uncharted or TLoU or GT. My 70 year old dad knows Spider-Man, even though he doesn't give a shit about games. Like I said, if the game is good (it will be) and Sony market it strongly (they will do) then it has potential to be huge. Quite possibly more than 5-7 million, but stepping away from hyperbole and trying to be realistic I think that's a pretty safe range in which to expect. You can't really compare it to previous Spidey games, because Activision has almost always given them a lower budget and shat them out as quickly and uncaringly as possible to make the most of the license, which seems to be the polar opposite of what Marvel, Insomniac and Sony are doing with this instalment.

Sales numbers are only a part of what I was talking about, so no it's not a contradiction. Everyone knows Spider-Man. My 4 year old son knows Spider-Man, but of course he doesn't know GoW or Uncharted or TLoU or GT. My 70 year old dad knows Spider-Man, even though he doesn't give a shit about games. Like I said, if the game is good (it will be) and Sony market it strongly (they will do) then it has potential to be huge. Quite possibly more than 5-7 million, but stepping away from hyperbole and trying to be realistic I think that's a pretty safe range in which to expect. You can't really compare it to previous Spidey games, because Activision has almost always given them a lower budget and shat them out as quickly and uncaringly as possible to make the most of the license, which seems to be the polar opposite of what Marvel, Insomniac and Sony are doing with this instalment.

What I was getting at with the mention of previous games, is that a history of poor quality Spider-man titles, has the potential to effectively "poison the well".

E.g. prototypical mom wants to buy little Timmy a console game for his birthday. She's know he loves Spider-man and so she buys him the latest Spider-man game (not knowing that it is a shitty, cheap licensed movie tie-in title produced by Activision). Timmy plays the game and realizing how crap it actually is. Next-time there's a new Spider-man game releasing, Timmy tells mommy not to bother buying it for him because the last one was crap (both Timmy and mom know nothing of the games industry and the fact that this new one is now a high quality title developed by a top-tier developer).

I admit that the effect of previous title's quality on casual consumer mindshare may be pretty irrelevant at this point, since the last Spider-man game to release was yonks ago. Also, casuals are probably better informed nowadays due to the internet, social media as well as more mainstream news publications also doing game reviews.

If Spider-man reviews very well (and I'm confident it will, given the dev pedigree) then it's possible that word of mouth will launch sales to stratospheric heights.

The game has all the potential to be huge... but there still exist reasons we must acknowledge that might prevent this from happening.

FelipeMGM

Seems like there might be good stuff at PGW

"You won't want to miss this!"
https://twitter.com/sidshuman/status/915867652790165504

Sid doesn't always do this. I think he might have done for PSX last year and there was part 2.
Media people must know already about most announcements, right?

Dylan Cuthbert of Q-Games just retweeted this^

The Tomorrow Children was announced at a European show I believe (Gamescom 2014?). Maybe they are showing something new

Also

Media people must know already about most announcements, right?

I doubt it, but Sid is PlayStation so he should know it

Planet

And hopefully a couple other games announced at E3 2015.
You mean Horizon Zero Dawn? Or No Man's Sky? Maybe The Last Guardian? Or possibly Street Fighter V?

The only two remaining things are Shenmue 3, which is obviously progressing slowly but steadily, and Final Fantasy VII Remake, which seems to be taking more time than expected. And Dreams of course. Everything else, and the list is not short, was released.

Top Bottom