• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Skeeter49

One thing that'd be neat for a PlayStation fighting game, is show the fighting game first, and each character in it will be for a game shown at the conference, even the ones that haven't been revealed yet like Sucker Punch's.

I think PSX would be better for the more nostalgia characters, and you can still get iconic at E3 with Kratos and Crash.

FelipeMGM

The new trademark filling thing is the weak point of this 4chan post about PSASBR 2 to me

Their trademark for the first game is still active. And they would not need a new one just to add the ''2'' at the end

Unles it has another name or a subtitle after it (I would go for another name because adding a subtitle to PSASBR would be too much lol)

Wozman23

Unles it has another name or a subtitle after it (I would go for another name because adding a subtitle to PSASBR would be too much lol)

"PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale: Round 2, Fight!" or PSASBRR2,F! for "short."

I want to believe, and the details are going in the direction I wanted, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a pretty easy, paint-by-numbers rumor.

BigEmil

I want them to change the name PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale to something else if they do make it
Try again in like a reboot

Evilisk

Aw, I thought it was something new (or that the trademark had actually popped up)

Anyway I'm still not convinced on this rumor. I'd be more than happy to eat crow but I just don't think this rumor is real.

Yeah that name is awful. I would hope they try the kart racer instead of doing that again.

I know a crossover racing game would make sense (PS has had so many first party developed racers) but boy would I be mad if that happened lol

Like I'd get over it eventually, but if they're able to actually get Snake, Crash, Cloud etc. this time around, then they should be using them for a bit more than a kart racer (imo of course)

I want them to change the name PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale to something else if they do make it
Try again in like a reboot

Yeah, PSASBR is too damn long for an acronym. The All-Stars part is also really problematic. I'd even take just "PlayStation Battle Royale 2"

cornerman

I'm a few pages behind, but with regards to infamous... I'm always happy to see new IP. That said I agree that infamous never reached its full potential. While part 2 improved on the gameplay, the narrative and plot kind of veered off track. I would have like to see infamous follow the track of the first game, and kind of focus on a team of villians, headed by a mastermind. I felt it needed that ninja scroll, trigun kinda of feel where each villian has a unique power, and personality. Part 2 took the wrong step by making enemies monsters and beasts. You make less of a connection with some snorting hulk of creaature. But humanoid characters allow for intrigue. They taunt, they deceive, they have backstories. The first game had what I thought would become a staple of the franchise. Its what made god of war great. It's what made MGS great (and what will play a hand in death stranding's success). Imagine infamous 1 remade in infamous 2 engine. Imagine infamous 1 remade in second son's engine. Its one of those games that I wish I had a designers ear for suggestions. Most would agree that they needed to flesh out their worlds and systems and I'm right there with them. Whether they keep the morality or not, doesn't matter as much as giving whatever path you take the attention and weight it deserves. This era in Sony's development suggests that they are willing to let devs do that more than ever. Just my thoughts on infamous...Bring on whatever they're working on.

farisr

Honestly not a fan of "battle royale" in the title at all. They need to come up with a new name.

I'd much rather have Playstation All-Stars, rather than Playstation Battle Royale. But even that is not good.

That being said, I'd much rather they take another shot at a kart racer. Modnation Racers almost had it honestly, but they failed on three aspects. Brand recognition + framerate + loading. Make a kart racer with the same features, with Playstation and third party characters, a smooth framerate and decent loading times and you have a hit on your hands.

Evilisk

Honestly not a fan of "battle royale" in the title at all. They need to come up with a new name.

I'd much rather have Playstation All-Stars, rather than Playstation Battle Royale. But even that is not good.

I'd really prefer PSBR2: [insert subtitle] over the option that leads to "Fat Princess/Big Daddy/obscure character is a PlayStation All-Star? Lololol" comments

Though yeah, a completely new title would be the most preferable.

farisr

I'd really prefer PSBR2: [insert subtitle] over the option that leads to "Fat Princess/Big Daddy/obscure character is a PlayStation All-Star? Lololol" comments

Though yeah, a completely new title would be the most preferable.
Who cares about comments. It's the internet, there will be stupid comments. It's like saying "they shouldn't name it smash bros. because there are female characters that you can play as" But yeah, I want a different title.

Playstation's Battlegrounds/Battle Royale.

Sony's take on the Battle Royale genre.

30 players thrown into an island. Only one winner. Differentiation factor vs other battle royale games is less characters and far far higher TTK due to all characters effectively being super heroes that can tank hits like fighting game characters.

/s

Due to Kojima now partnering with Sony, there will be no involvement from Konami
Ha, I could totally see Konami being that petty and dickish over something that was entirely their fault.

Still smells like bullshit but even if it somehow were true, it would be more of a PSX announcement than an E3 one.

Not sure the formula would even work now with so many popular third party titles already going to Smash. Cloud, Ryu, I think the both might have sailed on that one unless Sony has very high support from other publishers who want to do a smash-like game with beefier hardware.

I always thought Sony should have kept putting out Crash racing games. Biggest wtf IMO has Mario Kart has always been a great co-op game and just seems stupid to leave the genre unchallenged.

LBP racers was subpar budget, marketing, and execution.

Dabi

It all makes sense now.

Sony opens up the show with an orchestra to debut Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2.

Venue precedes to go up in flames.

Wozman23

Brainstorming PSASBR's new name:

Sony Scuffle
Sony Scrum
PlayStation Pugilists
Title Tussle
Mortal Lombax
Naughty Dogfight
Sony's Sucker Punch
Franchise Fisticuffs
Franchise Fracas!

Salex_

A big difference from the original (launched in) would be the change where players can kill the other characters (such as Cloud, Crash, Spyro, and Lara Croft) with more moves than just the supers
This is the only gameplay change it needed to become a legitimately great game. Thanks to PS+ and being able to play it on a handheld, I spent a lot of time in training mode learning the characters and I was impressed by how diverse the move-sets were. The controls and everything just felt right....too bad the kill condition ruined the game.

I hope this is really coming out and they take the game seriously this time. This could easiest be their biggest non-GT multiplayer game.

FelipeMGM

While I was looking for the PSASBR trademark, I noticed that not only Sony still owns the trademark for What Remains of Edith Finch, but that they asked for (and were granted) an extension on March 15, 2017

A weird move for a game they are not publishing anymore no?

C-ZBUOiXkAEwT3b.jpg

ClearData

Was the rumor that Sony was trying to bring into fruition a big JRPG project just a bunch of smoke?

I think Japan studio has risen back to prominence in the last couple years and has released several quality titles. If that project were to happen I think the studio is in a good place to see it through.

Having a huge WRPG franchise in Horizon and a big JRPG franchise would be amazing for Sony and for me. I love RPGs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Was the rumor that Sony was trying to bring into fruition a big JRPG project just a bunch of smoke?

I think Japan studio has risen back to prominence in the last couple years and has released several quality titles. If that project were to happen I think the studio is in a good place to see it through.

Having a huge WRPG franchise in Horizon and a big JRPG franchise would be amazing for Sony and for me. I love RPGs.

Verendus was a liar.

So we can assume that that project isnt real. A shame, i really want a Legend of Dragoon remake

Verendus was a liar.

So we can assume that that project isnt real. A shame, i really want a Legend of Dragoon remake
I knew the jig was up the moment he implied a new Shadow Hearts and Suikoden were in development.

The only scuttlebutt he ever got right was FFVIIR, but it's not like he was the first one who'd hitched his wagon to that star.

Rymuth

I knew the jig was up the moment he implied a new Shadow Hearts and Suikoden were in development.

The only scuttlebutt he ever got right was FFVIIR, but it's not like he was the first one who'd hitched his wagon to that star.
He got Dragon Quest coming back to Playstation right.

I don't care who you are. Nobody, but nobody, saw Dragon Quest 11 coming in a million years.

He got Dragon Quest coming back to Playstation right.

I don't care who you are. Nobody, but nobody, saw Dragon Quest 11 coming in a million years.
S-E had given more than enough indication about its plans for the series. I don't think it being on console was a big surprise at all, actually.

To be fair, he did predict an Activision exclusive (Crash, maybe) and a WB exclusive (Arkham VR I'd presume).

wapplew

I don't need Japan studio's JRPG, plenty of JRPG on the platform already, let Japan studio do weird stuff like they used to.

RedHill

Banned
S-E had given more than enough indication about its plans for the series. I don't think it being on console was a big surprise at all, actually.

To be fair, he did predict an Activision exclusive (Crash, maybe) and a WB exclusive (Arkham VR I'd presume).
I think it's clear he knew some stuff. But he made a lot up

I think it's clear he knew some stuff. But he made a lot up
I don't think it's clear at all. For every widely cast prediction (saying the most popular platform will get an exclusive game from a major publisher isn't exactly the most off-base inference), there was a more specific one that never panned out (still waiting for the new Sega action/adventure IP, the new Capcom TPS IP, Parasite Eve, Soul Calibur, FFX spin-off).

These are rumors from 2014. Dusty as hell.

Plus, now that I remember it, he focused more on a FF7 spin-off than a remake. That never happened either.

F4r0_Atak

Need receipts for that one. Didn't everyone get that one wrong (re: Chloe)?

Took a while, I think I found the right quote and a lot of his hints are too specific (espcially now that we know about Uncharted Lost Legacy)...

Verendus said:
I can't wait to match my post to the 108 Stars of Destiny? It's fate Psycho.

5. On the back of that, FFXII HD on current gen is basically confirmed at this point. As is one of the older Dragon Quest titles in HD (I've genuinely forgot which number though since it's been a while). In addition to that, there is a spin-off Final Fantasy title planned for consoles. Not big budget. Not FFX or FF7 in case people take it there. Not a traditional RPG either.

7. You will start to hear about digital revivals of some old IPs in the next one to two years. Playstation and otherwise.

8. Another unnamed IP which is coming to Playstation exclusively from Sega should hopefully be announced next year. It's had teething issues which seems to be making it take longer than I thought, as have most other projects on current gen to be fair from the looks of it, but I'm happy to mention it again because it looks like we might finally get an announcement next year. I'm hoping at least. This one's not a fighting game.

9. Third Person IP which is big budget is coming and it's set in the Indian subcontinent. Mentioning this because I feel it's quite notable something big is going this route. I don't think I've ever seen a big title in this kind of setting. I find it very surprising, but also very exciting. Western developed.

10. Japanese new IP which is set in...Japan. Third person action adventure title with monsters and machines. Might have RPG elements, not too sure on that unfortunately. Futurisitic setting. Playstation exclusive.

Now for more something which is what you would say is a tease but actually makes perfect sense:

11. A new game which will be a pretty big deal, I'm sure.

12. An old game, which will be somewhat of a big deal I guess.

We should have news on all of the above over the coming 2 years I'd think. There's one or two "twists" here and there where one may not like what happens, but it's all true. I honestly think this is going to be an amazing generation.

5. FF XII Zodiac releasing in July. Dragon Quest XI in July in Japan. World of Final Fantasy out in October 2016?

7. Digital Revival of old IPs = Patapon, Parappa, LocoRoco, Wipeout Omega Collection

8. I think it has to be Yakuza 6 since he didn't specify that it was a new IP. No?

9. Uncharted Lost Legacy

10. Let It Die?

11. Red Dead Redemption 2

12. Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy?

Took a while, I think I found the right quote and a lot of his hints are too specific (espcially now that we know about Uncharted Lost Legacy)...
I doubt development on U4 DLC began 1.5 years before U4 was released.

Lots of stuff there that never turned into anything. Such as...

10. Japanese new IP which is set in...Japan. Third person action adventure title with monsters and machines. Might have RPG elements, not too sure on that unfortunately. Futurisitic setting. Playstation exclusive.

EDIT: Just checked, and Let It Die does actually take place in Japan.

But he did say "New Sega Action/Adventure IP" in this post.

Top Bottom