• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS4 Demand Will Outstrip Supply Into the Summer

TS-08

Supply has definitely been catching up in this last week or two. March NPDs is gonna be interesting.

What's the most two consoles have combined to sell in a non-holiday month I wonder? The XB1 and PS4 should both do huge numbers in March.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was at my local Wal-Mart yesterday. Honestly you'd be convinced the PS4 never came out. No consoles, no controllers, barely any accessories in general and not even half a dozen games in stock at most behind the locked shelf.

The Vita section was pretty much the same thing. But for entirely different reasons.

At the moment in the US at least, it's only somewhat supply constrained. Not like it was the last couple months.

Amazon.com has had them in stock for a week or so, and many Gamestops received shipments last week and are still in stock.

Yoda

I have a feeling that this month will be the exception to the rule. Logically it'd make since for them to hold back stock for Titanfall's launch when Infamous and MGS release in the same month. Just closing the gap in console sales this month will have a huge impact. I also bet at the end of the month they ship some units by air to boost NPC numbers. If they even have a chance on winning this month, they should pull out all the cards. If a free game/game changer can't save the Xbox One, the negative press will be hard to overcome.

The only avenue it can win is NPD, no one is expecting them to sell more overall (globally) which determines how much money they rake in. I think Microsoft will edge out sony mainly because supply is still hit or miss + titanfall bundle.

What's the most two consoles have combined to sell in a non-holiday month I wonder? The XB1 and PS4 should both do huge numbers in March.

I'd have to find the Aquamarine post, but the Wii did multiple millions in non-holiday months in its peak of popularity.

Amir0x

Banned
I think they're probably overestimating this a bit to try to counteract that Microsoft will likely win this month due to Titanfall (sort of "look here, the crazy hype is still in our ballpark!" sort of comment). Sony has probably got at least a few more weeks of relative supply constraint in them, but I doubt it goes beyond that.

Mooreberg

You always lose "potential customers" everyday.

All they matters is how much they actually sell and they are selling everything they can make. What else can be done?

I'd say any customers fitting that MO have already given in, whether for TF or something other.

Pretty much never.

Demand is definitely outstripping supply, but not to the extent that we saw with the PS2 or the Wii, and there were no signs that those consoles lost potential customers over it.

People want what they want.

As long as they don't go long stretches without product, I don't think it'll affect sales very much.

For the record, I think this only really happens when parents are scrambling for a Christmas gift. They can probably keep this up for as long as the price difference exists, and maybe even beyond then once people know their friends are playing [pick a game] on PS4.

hawk2025

Read.

When Sony6758.TO +1.50%’s PlayStation 4 launched in November, it sold out on its first day. It may be the summer before the consoles are fully stocked on shelves.

An employee of an electronics chain promotes the release of Sony’s PlayStation 4 in Tokyo.

In an interview at the Game Developer’s Conference in San Francisco, Andrew House, head of Sony’s PlayStation division, said the company is seeing robust sales in all the regions the PS4 is being sold.

“We’re struggling to keep up with demand,” which has been highest in the U.S. and Europe, House said. “Conservatively, as we get into the early summer months, we’ll be closer to a full supply situation.”

I think they're probably overestimating this a bit to try to counteract that Microsoft will likely win this month due to Titanfall (sort of "look here, the crazy hype is still in our ballpark!" sort of comment). Sony has probably got at least a few more weeks of relative supply constraint in them, but I doubt it goes beyond that.

I think you are overestimating the impact of Titanfall.

Sounds about right. My friend works at a Best Buy in Buffalo and he said they're just now finally keeping a few on shelves for more than the day they receive them.

On amazon.com, but there are also other countrys in the world. ;)
He is clearly speaking about worldwide stock situation and expects it to be low until summer. Doesn't mean that you can't find it already in some (online-)shops in some countrys.

Yes, but it's a leading indicator. I expect things to get a lot better before summer. People who want a PS4 can find one online with little effort.

OK, but...

Just go on amazon. They're there. They're pretty much always there now.

I wonder how long it will be before ps4s are served to all of the core and when the sales will drop dramatically once casuals fail to purchase the system.

Amir0x

Banned
I think you are overestimating the impact of Titanfall.

The reports so far is that Microsoft was able to outpace PS4 comfortably during Titanfall week, in US and UK, if I recall correctly. So, no I don't think I am. I don't think the bump is going to carry over significantly into the following months though, so that is the bigger problem.

Smokey

Which is a fact. They are struggling to keep up with demand. Just because one store has stock, that doesn't mean they have met the demand for their product.

Read and think.

Read

Smokey said:
So all I'm saying is, while that may be true, if someone wanted to they could get one right now on Amazon

Yes, but it's a leading indicator. I expect things to get a lot better before summer. People who want a PS4 can find one online with little effort.

Just go on amazon. They're there. They're pretty much always there now.

Thank you.

Tratorn

And everyone is buying online of course.

He's right, you should read the text. As long as they can't have it available in most stores, this means there is still stronger demand than they can ship. In some areas more than in others.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wonder what prevents them from opening more production lines for a few months. I am not familiar with the logistics behind that. Are contracts with suppliers not flexible enough? Or are there just not enough production capacities on parts like the 4Gb GDDR5 chips from Samsung? Are short-term reservations of production capacities impossible or just more expensive than "normal" reservations?

Loudninja

The reports so far is that Microsoft was able to outpace PS4 comfortably during Titanfall week, in US and UK, if I recall correctly. So, no I don't think I am. I don't think the bump is going to carry over significantly into the following months though, so that is the bigger problem.
Umm I did not hear anything like that in the US.

UK maybe,but the PS4 got a boost as well.

He's right, you should read the text. As long as they can't have it available in most stores, this means there is still stronger demand than they can ship. In some areas more than in others.

The point if if they are easy to find online, I expect stores to follow suit soon. As in, before summer.

We have weekly percentage increase for both platforms in the UK but no clue what either was in the previous week, unless something changed.

quetz67

Banned
PS4 is in stock at amazon for 10 days now and dropped from #1 spot the first time when being available. So supply is > demand right now. Probably not much and probably because of increased supply. That will lead to increased sales #s for sure but should also lead to a supply > demand situation worldwide soon,

Chinese new year is through and the # of units needed for Japan willl be pretty small, so there will be a million+ units for the west every month. Cant see that much demand in the slow month ahead.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Most of the Best Buys near me in West LA seem to have stock (based on online store pickup). Usually hard to tell how many they have in stock though because they tend to have them locked up in cages that aren't in the gaming section. Only saw two in a cage up by the register at the Culver City BB when I picked up MGS on Tuesday.

I think there were 5 Xbones in a separate cage. Not sure if that accounts for all stock though. Didn't bother asking.

I wonder how long it will be before ps4s are served to all of the core and when the sales will drop dramatically once casuals fail to purchase the system.

You're going to be wondering a loooooooooooong time so I suggest you stop wondering and worrying about failing demand because if there is one console that doesn't have the word bomba in its dictionary, it's the PS4.

PS4 is in stock at amazon for 10 days now and dropped from #1 spot the first time when being available. So supply is > demand right now. Probably not much and probably because of increased supply. That will lead to increased sales #s for sure but should also lead to a supply > demand situation worldwide soon,

Chinese new year is through and the # of units needed for Japan willl be pretty small, so there will be a million+ units for the west every month. Cant see that much demand in the slow month ahead.

Not everyone shops at amazon.

Theecliff

Banned
Read

So all I'm saying is, while that may be true, if someone wanted to they could get one right now on Amazon
That depends entirely on where you live. On Amazon UK, the standard console is sold out until 2nd April, the Second Son bundle is now unavailable and the Black Flag bundle only has one left in stock. It's not exactly readily available yet.

Biker19

Banned

I don't think that you're getting what hawk's saying.

Which is a fact. They are struggling to keep up with demand. Just because one store has stock, that doesn't mean they have met the demand for their product.

Read and think.

But it's never permanently in stock - it's always intermittent which is the main problem.

These posters do.

TS-08

Umm I did not hear anything like that in the US.

UK maybe,but the PS4 got a boost as well.

The Xbox beat the PS4 last week despite a supply boost for the latter, if I recall correctly. Clearly the XB1 is going to see a similar surge in America. I don't know of XB1 will outsell the PS4 in the March NPD, but I think it will at least be a lot closer than some people expect.

Top Bottom