• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 does not require an internet connection. Ever. Seriously. Listen. Read.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Already mentioned before, it's because they can't step on retailer's feet. They still need to deal with them on pushing the hardware, since they're low profit margin. It's a balancing act between pubs wishes, retailers and platform holders now.

What is gamestop going to suddenly stop selling video games? A few chains would still carry the consoles and games since here lot of people out there who don't want to buy such expensive things digitally or are buying a gift. It is still an item that gets people into the store. I still see PC games at walmart and last time I looked steam under cuts them all them all the time. Raise the margins on PSN and Xbox live cards to make up for it since people who don't have credit cards would need them to buy digital games anyways. There is a lot of ways to make everyone happy but they are going after 1 group the group that pays their bills. I am still waiting for all these examples were they stood up to the evil gamestop instead of kissing their asses with special deals.

phunky420

Banned
I won't believe anything ANY console developer says until about 3 months before shipment. ANYTHING can change....I especially won't believe them before E3....this is all fluff at this point...go ahead and crown sony your champion....

SpacLock

I still can't believe that some people think that a business as big as Microsoft is so fucking stupid that they're going to ignore certain countries with limited internet access. Yeah, there's come people there that aren't with the times, but ultimately there's enough young influence to let them know they can't alienate the people who can't constantly be connected. It's business sense. Stop being idiots who jump to so many conclusions and realize that there's an ultimate plan that involves luring people from every angle possible. That's business.

vpance

You really don't understand anything do you? In your dream scenario publishers would see a greater ROI, meaning they have to risk less to get the same return. If they can continue to profit from old games what is the incentive to make new ones?

You just assume that increased margins will be reinvested, in riskier products to boot?

Of course it would, when theres a financial cushion to play with. I'm sure there are a lot of ideas from devs that get shot down on the basis that it's too risky or non mainstream. Then they may try to go indie and self publish, or do nothing since they don't have the money. It's still an industry with many creative players.

Why would a movie studio back the production of a period piece drama if they can keep pumping out blockbusters? Why not? Because studios are able to profit off their catalog much easier.

Nafai1123

Banned
I still can't believe that some people think that a business as big as Microsoft is so fucking stupid that they're going to ignore certain countries with limited internet access. Yeah, there's come people there that aren't with the times, but ultimately there's enough young influence to let them know they can't alienate the people who can't constantly be connected. It's business sense. Stop being idiots who jump to so many conclusions and realize that there's an ultimate plan that involves luring people from every angle possible. That's business.

You do realize that they've confirmed the XBO requires a internet connect?

SpacLock

You do realize that they've confirmed the XBO requires a internet connect?

Still not finalized, and you don't know the details. Wait until the system is released to judge. Same with the PS4. Nobody knows what it's about until the final system, both hardware and software is released. Stop judging what you don't know.

Ashes

Banned
Still not finalized, and you don't know the details. Wait until the system is released to judge. Same with the PS4. Nobody knows what it's about until the final system, both hardware and software is released. Stop judging what you don't know.

I like the cut of your jib.

odd_you_know_nothing_jon_snow.jpg

Edit: for all we know mandating constant internet access could only apply for certain countries. It is region protected after all.

What if the "judging" that people are doing is what convinces MS to change their mind? I shudder to think about the type of things that could go into practice if people just kept their mouths shut all the time even if a potential policy didn't sit well with them.

BigDug13

Edit: for all we know mandating constant internet access could only apply for certain countries. It is region protected after all.

How about I judge Microsoft on what I do know about their business practices since they started with Windows. Is that ok? One of the only major companies to be invested and convicted of monopolizing practices in the past couple decades by the US Federal Government. Can I do that? I don't really understand the fellating that some people do for Microsoft. I love my 360, but come on. Ballmer is not your friend. You are a wallet that he wants to squeeze as hard as he can. If they backtrack on anything that was described so far, it will only be if Sony starts kicking their asses in sales.

And how does requiring Internet access for certain countries change anything? I'm a 20 year Navy man who gamed with no Internet access for years on deployments in the Persian Gulf. Microsoft has basically told my kind to fuck off.

scitek

The plan that includes no TV functionality at launch outside the US, which is like half the functionality of the console itself? Microsoft doesn't care much about what happens outside of the US, they've made that pretty apparent.

SpacLock

What if the "judging" that people are doing is what convinces MS to change their mind? I shudder to think about the type of things that could go into practice if people just kept their mouths shut all the time even if a potential policy didn't sit well with them.

You think they listen to GAF? Really? We're such a small percentage of their income it's fucking laughable. If they listened to us there would be no kinect with the Xbone. There would be less FPS's, etc. Jesus, wake the fuck up. They know what's going to sell and make them money, and that's definitely not our opinions when it comes to gaming. Accept what it is. Buy it or don't. Doesn't matter, they're in touch with the dudebro's who want it.

How about I judge Microsoft on what I do know about their business practices since they started with Windows. Is that ok? One of the only major companies to be invested and convicted of monopolizing practices in the past couple decades by the US Federal Government. Can I do that? I don't really understand the fellating that some people do for Microsoft. I love my 360, but come on. Ballmer is not your friend. You are a wallet that he wants to squeeze as hard as he can. If they backtrack on anything that was described so far, it will only be if Sony starts kicking their asses in sales.

And how does requiring Internet access for certain countries change anything? I'm a 20 year Navy man who gamed with no Internet access for years on deployments in the Persian Gulf. Microsoft has basically told my kind to fuck off.

Microsoft has told you to fuck off and you're shocked? You think Sony or Nintendo is your friend by making their practices seem more friendly? It's all about money, yet most people here still like to side with corporations because they fell for their advertising. It's not about these large console manufacturers, it's about the artists who are making you fall in love with these video games that are bought out by certain systems, but you still feel like there's an allegiance to be had for these large businesses. Whatever.

Nafai1123

Banned

So we shouldn't believe what the console manufacturer tells us until it can be confirmed after I bring the thing home. Gotcha.

Brashnir

You think they listen to GAF? Really? We're such a small percentage of their income it's fucking laughable. If they listened to us there would be no kinect with the Xbone. There would be less FPS's, etc. Jesus, wake the fuck up. They know what's going to sell and make them money, and that's definitely not our opinions when it comes to gaming. Accept what it is. Buy it or don't. Doesn't matter, they're in touch with the dudebro's who want it.

Those same dudebros are probably among the biggest consumers of used games. They trade in yearly installments every year for the next one.

I think a lot of the GAF crowd - like myself - who are philosophically opposed to this don't even participate in the used game market.

So we shouldn't believe what the console manufacturer tells us until it can be confirmed after I bring the thing home. Gotcha.

They've all lied to us pretty blatantly before, or at least told us a "truth" that was carefully worded so as not to tell us what we really wanted to know about. Hell, it wasn't 3 weeks ago that Microsoft was making official statements about "no always-on DRM."

I refuse to keep my mouth shut in the face of something that I consider bullshit.

SpacLock

Those same dudebros are probably among the biggest consumers of used games. They trade in yearly installments every year for the next one.

Talk to Microsoft about it. They know more than you and I about the market, and that's most likely a fact.

I refuse to keep my mouth shut in the face of something that I consider bullshit.

Hey, good for you. But not enough people will back you up. Sorry. Welcome to reality.

BigDug13

Microsoft has told you to fuck off and you're shocked? You think Sony or Nintendo is your friend by making their practices seem more friendly? It's all about money, yet most people here still like to side with corporations because they fell for their advertising. It's not about these large console manufacturers, it's about the artists who are making you fall in love with these video games that are bought out by certain systems, but you still feel like there's an allegiance to be had for these large businesses. Whatever.

Allegiance? I want to play my fucking game console while I'm on my 6 month deployment. That is all. One of the two is providing that. The other is not. And before you say that it's "up to the publisher to implement their controls" that's fine. They can implement controls on those specific games and I simply won't buy them. The company that says fuck the troops gets no love from me.

Your idea that you should be happy to bend over because "corporations have to make a profit and I'm happy to bend over and take it because that's just business" is a sad, sad, sad attitude.

And btw, 360 was my exclusive game console this gen. I own a PS3 for bluray only. I also owned an Xbox last gen. But those were both systems that I played while on six month deployments. That's why it's so heartbreaking for MS to turn their back on me like this. So fuck them.

PS4noDRM?

I kinda blame MS for the confusion. People are wary because MS said that Xbone was not always online but then said you would need to connect every 24 hours. So it doesn't need a permanent internet connection but it does need one. Glad Yoshida cleared it up.

Nafai1123

Banned
They've all lied to us pretty blatantly before, or at least told us a "truth" that was carefully worded so as not to tell us what we really wanted to know about. Hell, it wasn't 3 weeks ago that Microsoft was making official statements about "no always-on DRM."

I don't disagree with you, but what reason would MS have to lie about a widely critized addition to the console? THEY confirmed it requires internet access. It's not like they're promising 4D and 20 hdmi ports.

Cynar

You make a lot of strong claims that you don't back up at all. You assert that Platform holders have a right to restrict secondhand sales when the First Sale Doctrine specifically disagrees. You say that videogames are consumable forms of entertainment, which I would argue they most certainly are not. You claim that they don't lose value when the value of any good is variable over time. By the way, many cars increase in value when sold second hand and I am not even talking about collector's items. When the Prius was new, for instance, it was in such demand that used models sold for more than their MSRP. You assert that Gamestop has had a rise this decade when their growth stopped long ago and they actually posted a loss last year. And finally you claim that Gamestop contributes nothing tangible to the industry when it is the only nationwide games specific retailer.

As to hardware being sold at a loss, the Wii was always sold for a profit, so I guess we need to make an exception for Nintendo.

He's either an industry shill or he's bought into the fud that the gaming industry is trying to spread.

Publishers got their cut on the first sale, and they don't deserve a cent in the second hand market. They want more profit? Set up a reasonable budget, set realistic goals, stop blaming your customers and accept responsibility for their ineptitude (or gamestop, or piracy, or game rentals.. whatever the latest scapegoat).

Nice post blastprocessing, couldn't agree more

Brashnir

I don't disagree with you, but what reason would MS have to lie about a widely critized addition to the console? THEY confirmed it requires internet access. It's not like they're promising 4D and 20 hdmi ports.

They denied it, then they confirmed it, then they denied it, then they confirmed it, then they denied it.

Sony denied one very specific thing, while conveniently failing to mention a patent they filed which would fuck us over just as much without needing an internet connection.

All signs point to Microsoft's DRM being the case. Sony's is still more in doubt, but now is the time to speak out about it while there's still 5 months until the thing comes out. I'm not going to wait until I've already paid my $500 to complain.

And I'm sure you guessed it all.

They know when they're taking risks.

I suspected N64 and PS3's marketshare losses, yes. I was only 8 when Atari crapped the bed, so I can't say I saw that one coming.

I can buy a copy of Photoshop, use it, and sell it. But first I have to unregister the software with Adobe and transfer the the license to the person I'm selling it to. Which, if they set it up correctly, is what Microsoft is trying to do, just with the addition of a fee for the license transfer to be paid by the buyer (in the case of a private sale or in the case of a company like Gamestop).

If you look at games as software instead of media, it makes a difference.

And even outside of all that, they aren't actually preventing you from selling the physical disc (which is what you actually own, the disc, not the software on it). They're just making the disc worth less after the initial sale.

This is nonsense. You don't need to involve the publisher at all when you sell a game disc. You can no longer play it. The license has been transferred. There is not justification whatsoever for involving Microsoft or anybody else in the transaction and paying them a fee for the privilege.

You own the physical discs, there's no law that I'm aware of that say you own the content contained on the disc.

As someone else mentioned, there's already systems in place for resale of software licenses.

We already had a system in place for the resale of software licenses since the dawn of consoles. You gave the cartridge or disc to the new license owner.

Nafai1123

Banned
They denied it, then they confirmed it, then they denied it, then they confirmed it, then they denied it.

Sony denied one very specific thing, while conveniently failing to mention a patent they filed which would fuck us over just as much without needing an internet connection.

All signs point to Microsoft's DRM being the case. Sony's is still more in doubt, but now is the time to speak out about it while there's still 5 months until the thing comes out. I'm not going to wait until I've already paid my $500 to complain.

They denied always online, but I haven't seen any quotes denying internet access being required.

And I'm with you on the drm thing, although disc based drm is the lesser evil imo (still evil though).

Videogames are consumable forms of entertainment that do not lose their intrinsic value (so long as the disc isn't damaged) when sold second hand (unlike a car).
That's a big contradiction you put there. If it doesn't lose it's intrinsic value after usage, it's not a consumable at all. Neither are other entertainment products like movies or songs.

DBT85

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...gamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

FWIW Eurogamer said that they spoke to someone at Sony at the PS4 reveal who said that patent had nothing to do with the PS4.

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

But whatever reason Sony did have for patenting it, it sounds like it wasn't for its next-generation console.

BigDug13

I suspected N64 and PS3's marketshare losses, yes. I was only 8 when Atari crapped the bed, so I can't say I saw that one coming.

Patents aren't a good indicator. I mean Microsoft patented the technology for Kinect to determine how many people are in the room watching a piece of media and would block it if they figured out that too many people were in the room. I doubt they're implementing that patent.

SpacLock

Reading this thread it really seems like MS opened up their viral war chest for some push back.

Maybe people are actually finally talking about it in a rational sense. There's a reason that MS is doing this and they think this is their best option to beat the competition. We'll all find out over time. Oh, and we're all still in the speculation stage.

Sorry if I'm growing tired of the Xbone hate circle jerk, but I'd feel the same way about any other system.

My PS3 gets way more play time than the Xbox, and that's mostly due to it's amazing bluray experience, but we don't cut them down for pushing that of course... Bluray was only formed to make a better game play experience, right? Has nothing to do with pushing shit onto people to make more money, right? Yeah, just a larger physical storage medium when there's an absolute shit ton of better options out there. But you all accepted it and love Sony for it. OK.

ReaperXL7

I suspected N64 and PS3's marketshare loss

es, yes. I was only 8 when Atari crapped the bed, so I can't say I saw that one coming.

Thats not true actually, Sony was asked about the patent. According to Sony that patent had nothing to do with the PS4.

*edit* Beaten.

Mung

Maybe people are actually finally talking about it in a rational sense. There' a reason that MS is doing this and they think this is their best option to beat the competition. We'll all find out over time. Oh, and we're all still in the speculation stage.

Sorry if I'm growing tired of the Xbone hate circle jerk, but I'd feel the same way about any other system.

My PS3 gets way more play time than the Xbox, and that's mostly due to it's amazing bluray experience, but we don't cut them down for pushing that of course...

Having blu ray does not warrant the same criticism as excluding people with crap internet or potentially having DRM. Blu ray has actual benefits. The benefits that are pushed for requiring internet are an excuse for DRM.

Eusis

My PS3 gets way more play time than the Xbox, and that's mostly due to it's amazing bluray experience, but we don't cut them down for pushing that of course... Bluray was only formed to make a better game play experience, right? Has nothing to do with pushing shit onto people to make more money, right? Yeah, just a larger physical storage medium when there's an absolute shit ton of better options out there. But you all accepted it and love Sony for it. OK.
Mind listing those options? I don't doubt that pushing the format was a primary goal, but I would imagine they legitimately felt they were killing two birds with one stone here: they get more storage granted for next gen games (and in hindsight the 360 really did hold them back) and they get an HD movie format to push with their HD games. Hell, I do imagine game playing was A factor with blu-ray design given it stores more data than HD-DVD and can seemingly be scaled to an absurd degree.

BigDug13

Maybe people are actually finally talking about it in a rational sense. There's a reason that MS is doing this and they think this is their best option to beat the competition. We'll all find out over time. Oh, and we're all still in the speculation stage.

Other than a television and power, gaming has never required any external upkeep purchases. But now it will require an Internet connection for $50 per month. Some people have a data cap. What is MS doing about that with their constant online and updating system?

Blu-Ray was something that initially inflated the PS3's cost. But it did not require additional upkeep expenses from the consumer like Xbox Live Gold and $50ish per month Internet costs. What did that blu-ray addition cost you exactly? How did it negatively impact your gaming when you were deployed for 6 months?

Tell you what. Buy an XBone, then go on deployment for 6 months. Tell me how awesome your gaming system is.

SpacLock

Having blu ray does not warrant the same criticism as excluding people with crap internet or potentially having DRM. Blu ray has actual benefits. The benefits that are pushed for requiring internet are an excuse for DRM.

Bluray has a negative effect too. Longer load times, mandatory installation, etc. What about how Steam does it? App store does it? What about just downloading the fucker to your HDD.? Sure would be convenient, right?

It's not about whats better. It's all about what reaches the most consumers.

The good guy would have cheap games DRM free downloadable straight to your HDD and transferable to any storage device you own. That won't happen with any of these companies. No one is a good guy here. They're all shit. It's not about you or me, it's about their potential profit. Why don't people get it already? Why are there these cheesy ass allegiances? Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Other than a television and power, gaming has never required any external upkeep purchases. But now it will require an Internet connection for $50 per month. Some people have a data cap. What is MS doing about that with their constant online and updating system?

Blu-Ray was something that initially inflated the PS3's cost. But it did not require additional upkeep expenses from the consumer like Xbox Live Gold and $50ish per month Internet costs. What did that blu-ray addition cost you exactly? How did it negatively impact your gaming when you were deployed for 6 months?

They're catering to the people who have money and the means to spend it. Any company that wanted to strive in 2013 would. No one is your friend here.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Yeah you really need to calm down.

SpacLock

Yeah you really need to calm down.

It's friday and i'm drunk. I didn't get any tonight. :(

Mind listing those options? I don't doubt that pushing the format was a primary goal, but I would imagine they legitimately felt they were killing two birds with one stone here: they get more storage granted for next gen games (and in hindsight the 360 really did hold them back) and they get an HD movie format to push with their HD games. Hell, I do imagine game playing was A factor with blu-ray design given it stores more data than HD-DVD and can seemingly be scaled to an absurd degree.

I think we were already were to the point of where downloading our games would be a better more convenient way of distribution, but outside of us hardcore gamers people just weren't ready. So Sony catered to everyone by going the bluray route. They wanted to reach out to everyone, just like the Xbone thinks they're doing with the strange ass route they're taking.

BigDug13

Bluray has a negative effect too. Longer load times, mandatory installation, etc. What about how Steam does it? App store does it? What about just downloading the fucker to your HDD.? Sure would be convenient, right?

It's not about whats better. It's all about what reaches the most consumers.

The good guy would have cheap games DRM free downloadable straight to your HDD and transferable to any storage device you own. That won't happen with any of these companies. No one is a good guy here. They're all shit. It's not about you or me, it's about their potential profit. Why don't people get it already? Why are there these cheesy ass allegiances? Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Then you enjoy your system. Why are you trying to convince us to buy it? Yes, we've chosen our allegiance. Our allegiance lies in the game system that continues to work without the Internet, that allows us to share games with our friends. That is what reaches consumers. Microsoft is trying to reach me all right. I'm just not happy with the appendage they're reaching out with.

I don't understand the argument. All corporations suck so I should purchase from the one that is the most outspokenly against the consumer?

DSix

Banned
It coming from people that are mostly looking a justification so they can buy into Microsoft bullshit.

"WELL SONY IS DOING IT TOO! "

They're the same people were forecasting that Sony would start charging for on-line multi-player this gen. It so they can feel a little bet better for letting Microsoft rip them off.

Yes.

The amount of intellectual dishonesty has skyrocketed those last few days, to a point I can't believe some people aren't paid to do it.

coldfoot

Banned
Ways to drm without Internet:
1. Dongle (hackable and costly)
2. Phone challenge
3. RFID

If I were a publisher watching out for my best interests, I'd make my game require a one time code to validate against the Internet, BUT I'd send a patch after 8 weeks that would disable the Internet check and you could trade your used game.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm completely at a loss at how people are reading this quote and thinking the DRM thing is over.

I sincerely hope there is no DRM, honestly. And I wish they would announce it right now. But they didn't duck the DRM questions to give a half assed answer about online registrations. They are different subjects.

As evidenced from this thread, plenty of people were still worried that the PS4 would require some sort of touch base with the internet, and many are glad about this. You say we've known this forever, but there has been such mass confusion (just look at all the denials in this topic alone) that I felt the need to highlight it. The no-DRM stuff is just people speculating out of this fact. We know we can now eliminate a system-wide ONLINE DRM system.

If there is a RFD offline level no-used game system which is "confusing as fuck" as you describe it, we'll cross that bridge when we get there and until then we continue to do the #XboxOneNoDRM and #PS4NoDrm. There's no need to be concerned that people are going to stop the campaign or something :p

sublimit

Banned
More relief... At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.

That's great to hear.

Daingurse

Agreed. And while Sawyer is correct in that Gamestop has grown in the last decade it was a bit disingenuous because it made it sound like there was no used market before that. There's been a used market in videogames since the 80s. When I was a kid (i'm 36....) there was funcoland, EB, Babbages... all sorts of places to trade in games and buy used games. This isn't a new phenomenon in the industry at all.

I still remember my Mom buying me a used copy of Sonic and Knuckles at a Funcoland. Good times . . . good times indeed.

Developers and publishers don't deserve any kickback from used sales. The game industry is not some special snowflake. I buy almost all my games new, but I like to trade in my shit to Amazon. With said trade-in credit I buy *gasp* more new games!

This industry needs to get it's act together. Budgets need to be reined in, pricing needs to evolve and business models need to fucking adapt to the situation at hand. The current AAA business model is absolutely broken and quite simply not viable for most games. Not every game will be the next GTA or COD as far as sales go and that's okay. Publishers need to stop being so fucking greedy and funnily enough entitled.

Top Bottom