• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
VitaminApple said:
Since when is modding something you own, breaking the law?
Is it ok for you (the external source, for example) to mess with Sony's PSN service? So who is more right?

NullPointer said:
Protecting consumer rights by fucking over consumers. Good going.

I know what you're saying and I agree, but at the same time, Sony is missing out on lost revenue; which in the hackers mind is justified.

Sonicbug

Kagari said:
Because of these hackers I can't purchase Threads of Fate yet. I am not pleased :|

Ditto. That was going to be my after work reward on Wednesday and I’m still waiting.... =/

DonMigs85

VitaminApple said:
Sony says you can't mod or own your consoles.
Hackers take down Sony.
Yet GAF hates hackers?
Because it can ruin things for a lot of people, being a console with a pretty heavy online element. In addition to piracy, cheats could also run rampant even in online games.

saunderez said:
WRONG! Geohotz jailbreak only allowed homebrew. Others allowed piracy yet Geohot was the target. Fuck Sony, I haven't had PSN access since they took away OtherOS and I refused to upgrade, if they hadn't pulled their power play to remove a feature a lot of us paid for none of this would have ever happened.

Sony is the piece of shit in this situation, bullying consumers into following their way or the highway.
my sarcasm meter is off lately, joking?

Sophia

mjc said:
Well, they gave Sony fair warning.
NullPointer said:
Protecting consumer rights by fucking over consumers. Good going.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Is it ok for you (the external source, for example) to mess with Sony's PSN service? So who is more right?
Psykotik said:
whoever donated to the hackers cause, has donated to PSN being down.

Again, we don't even know if this is Anonymous. They're currently denying that they had anything to do with this, and the usual places aren't even flaring up with laughter and trolling.

For all we know, this could be a rogue group/person.

LiquidMetal14

VitaminApple said:
I know what you're saying and I agree, but at the same time, Sony is missing out on lost revenue; which in the hackers mind is justified.
Because a disruption that was not normal was detected by an "external" source. It's one thing for you to be all pro consumer BUT when something like this takes down the entire PSN because Sony is trying to protect their network, it's the worst bullshit to defend anyone who did that to legit customers like me who've spent thousands on PSN. That's the bottom line.

I don't understand why people need to hack shit all the time. I can understand if you are doing it so you can have a region free system (ex. Wii Homebrew Channel & GeckoOS) but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Notice Nintendo hasn't released anymore Wii updates that kill the Homebrew Channel.

Still, fuck the hackers. >_>;

DonMigs85 said:
Because it can ruin things for a lot of people, being a console with a pretty heavy online element. In addition to piracy, cheats could also run rampant even in online games.

Cheats have been rampant on online games on PS3 way before a hack was ever released. Please try again.

LiquidMetal14

onken said:
First page and we have a car analogy. GAF does not disappoint.
Me and you outside
for a game of checkers

Marrshu said:
Again, we don't even know if this is Anonymous.
I will call it the "external" source for now.

VitaminApple said:
The PS3 hack, released by GeoHot had nothing to do with PSN.
Many things lead to enabling such things though. This didn't just material from thin air so you can't ignore the trends that have been apparent in the hacking community for months on the PS3 front.

Zee-Row

Banned
VitaminApple said:
Since when is modding something you own, breaking the law?
We you take these modifications online which a lot of people have done ruining games. That may not have been Geohot's intention but other people did it and he provided the keys to do it so yeah he should be blamed for it. The guy is such a glory whore though that he has to get on G4 and youtube to whore out his accomplishments. He should of stayed anonymous.

saunderez said:
WRONG! Geohotz jailbreak only allowed homebrew. Others allowed piracy yet Geohot was the target. Fuck Sony, I haven't had PSN access since they took away OtherOS and I refused to upgrade, if they hadn't pulled their power play to remove a feature a lot of us paid for none of this would have ever happened.

Sony is the piece of shit in this situation, bullying consumers into following their way or the highway.

I also bought the ps3 to run linux........

Negator

MidnightScott said:
I don't understand why people need to hack shit all the time. I can understand if you are doing it so you can have a region free system (ex. Wii Homebrew Channel & GeckoOS) but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Notice Nintendo hasn't released anymore Wii updates that kill the Homebrew Channel.

Still, fuck the hackers. >_>;

But, but, but....EMULATORS!

Chesskid1

Banned
wow it must of been something really serious if they had to take it down, instead of just leaving it up. like getting valuable info or something.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
darkwing said:
maybe someone was trying to sync trophies acquired through nefarious means
Bwahaha

"Sir, this man has earned three separate Platinums within five minutes!"
"Shut it down. All of it."

Equus Bellator Apex

Marrshu said:
It's not even the same group of hackers. Anonyomous stopped attacking awhile ago, and they're saying they don't have anything to do with this.

Yes, those two things are completely mutually exclusive, and there is zero overlap between the two groups.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ahuahahaha. I'm pissed as much as the next guy, but I find it hilarious how a few of the above (angry) posters were some of people who suggested "go outside, play other consoles, why you so mad?!" in the other thread. I guess we found a common target we can hate without questioning our biases :lol

A7MAD

Banned
Sony blaming hackers to re-direct their customers rage is more fitting than me believing that all the egohot hackers out there took down PSN and never told a soul.

More BS from Sony.

antonz

VitaminApple said:
VitaminApple said:

Which shows just how successful Sony has been.

Sony is playing chess and the way you turn people against causes they once supported is to take away playthings of the people.

Millions of Networks far more important than PSN around the world everyday get external intrusions and attempted external intrusions. You dont see half the internet shutting down all the time.

McLovin

saunderez said:

Everyone is so mad at Sony for taking that feature out. Yet the other companies never had that option to begin with. I guess Sony learned its lesson and next gen they wont even bother.

darkwing

LiquidMetal14 said:
Me and you outside
for a game of checkers

I will call it the "external" source for now.

Many things lead to enabling such things though. This didn't just material from thin air so you can't ignore the trends that have been apparent in the hacking community for months on the PS3 front.
External > Anonymous

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fuck this shit, I want to play co-op Portal 2.

Don't tell me they're hacking for the sake of GeoHotz.

Jeels

VitaminApple said:

There's no reason for innocent people to suffer because they want to make a point. This is the equivalent of terrorism.

Sophia

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Yes, those two things are completely mutually exclusive, and there is zero overlap between the two groups.

A rogue hacker does not equal Anonymous as a whole.

A7MAD said:
Sony blaming hackers to re-direct their customers rage is more fitting than me believing that all the egohot hackers out there took down PSN and never told a soul.

More BS from Sony.
jesus fucking christ

VitaminApple said:
Not only is it Sony missing out on revenue but it's a lot of developers missing out on revenue as well. Not only that, but it's them ruining it for people who don't give a fuck what any of them do.

But hey, it doesn't affect you, right? I bet those celebrating this shit don't even own a PS3 and quite frankly don't care.

LiquidMetal14

Jinfash said:
Ahuahahaha. I'm pissed as much as the next guy, but I find it hilarious how a few of the above posters were some of people who suggested "go outside, play other consoles, why you so mad?!" in the other thread. I guess we found a common target we can hate without questioning our biases :lol
Me, the legit customer who has spent many monies and will continue to do so, are mad because this intrusion has caused a disruption that is disabling me from using the PSN to play and buy more content.

If these guys were supposedly able to hack into Sony's servers and take millions of PSN accounts offline, I wonder what else they are capable of.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom