• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
Zee-Row said:
Heres my question , Why in the blue hell would you spend $600-$400 on a PS3 specifically to run an inferior version of Linux?

Most of the people who bitch the loudest about being wronged and linux this and that never used it in the first place.
It is just the next one of those things that they can whine about and be all indignant about.

VitaminApple said:
You guys are forgetting that this wouldn't have happened if Sony didn't decide to violate consumer rights to where you don't own the machine that you buy.

Who is worst?

Sony who says you can't do anything you want to a machine you own
or
The group of hackers who take down Sony so they can lose out on revenue.
The hackers. That was an easy question. Next, please.

MechaX

Kagari said:
Because of these hackers I can't purchase Threads of Fate yet. I am not pleased :|

Wow, Threads of Fate is up too? Well Square Enix, there was another $6 bucks I would have thrown your way, but fucking hackers had to ruin things.

McLovin

Give me a break nobody bought a ps3 for fucking linux. I remember taking it off because it wasn't worth wasting 10 gigs on.

VitaminApple said:
You guys are forgetting that this wouldn't have happened if Sony didn't decide to violate consumer rights to where you don't own the machine that you buy.

Who is worst?

or
Do you want me to answer right away or pause like I actually have to think about this?

Hell, why is this argument being brought up here now?

DonMigs85

Pandaman said:
pretty sure sony said you couldnt mod your console and use their services.

which is the same with pretty much every company.
Yep. Can't be an over-entitled douche, having your cake and eating it too.
It's one or the other - mod your PS3 for private use, or keep it "legit" to maintain PSN access, online play, etc.
If Geohot just kept his hack to himself, he'd never have gotten in trouble.

VitaminApple said:

Who is worst?

or

Says the guy with an apple avatar? Is that a joke?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
VitaminApple said:
No. They said you can't mod their console at all. They are violating consumer rights and people don't seem to care. But when a group of hackers takes down PSN, everyone here seems to finally care.

You guys are giving up long term gain for a short term gain.
Just don't make it so it takes me offline and preventing me from buying and or playing games online. There is no excuse for this level of intrusion because it hurts more people than some stupid other OS or rights issue you are pointing to. The gigantic majority of folks who own these consoles use them as intended and not to run other programs like linux or homebrew.

1261596481_3Fw2MnJ-L.jpg

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
My tech knowledge is 0 so maybe others can explain it, but it blows my mind how a company the size of Sony, with the financial and technological resources at their disposal could get buttfucked so hard by a bunch of douchers behind a keyboard. But here we are, so apparently it's easier than it sounds.

Crisis

Banned
VitaminApple said:

Who is worst?

or

You serious? It's the hackers. The PS3 was the most open game console in recent memory. They took out Other OS because it cost them money to upkeep a project very few consumers were using and were effectively subsidizing powerful computer networks that used it, a bunch of people flip a shit even though they never used it.

On the other hand, the hackers have managed to take the PlayStation Network completely offline, and SCEA says it's an "intrusion". They may have been looking for credit card information and that kind of thing as well. I KNOW I can't log onto the PlayStation Network, play some highly-anticipated games, or make purchases, or use specific services. All of this is likely being done utilizing code that geohot wrote. So you're really asking people who is worse in this situation? You're talking about violating consumer rights. I would argue the hackers are violating my consumer rights far worse than Sony is.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
i'm so glad these hackers are standing up to sony. i'm so glad they are completely inconveniencing me for the honor of some suburbanite with too much time on his hands.

onken

VitaminApple said:

Sure about that?

douchebag hackers. First thing I do when I get my new ps3 is purchasing PSN+ just because of this
and because it has some nice things

....with a $50 psn card. No way in hell am I ever putting my CC info back on there. Thank god I took it off before my last one died.

DonMigs85

VitaminApple said:
No. They said you can't mod their console at all. They are violating consumer rights and people don't seem to care. But when a group of hackers takes down PSN, everyone here seems to finally care.

They only said you can't mod since it violates their EULA.
If you don't care about the EULA or didn't agree to it then by all means mod it.

antonz

CcrooK said:
Holy shit, seriously?
Its old news that has nothing to do with Sony but it makes for good headlines for no name sites to get hits based on the PSN situation now.

They are after anonymous because they went after Credit Card companies who invest a ton of cash to politicians

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
McLovin said:
Give me a break nobody bought a ps3 for fucking linux. I remember taking it off because it wasn't worth wasting 10 gigs on.
I swear if I'm not the only one who did this. But some use it as part of a crutch to argue with. I will not comment on that issue again per Kagari's request but I'm not the one who brought it up. It's all a bunch of crap when the legit customers get screwed.

Marleyman

Banned
They wanted to fight back against a giant corporate entity; more power to them. I don't think Anonymous really needs the consumers on their side to continue to pull off what they want to. I am sure they want the support of the public but attacking PSN was a big move for them; it sends Sony a strong message IMO. They took the opportunity and figured the consumer base being pissed was worth it.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Just don't make it so it takes me offline and preventing me from buying and or playing games online. There is no excuse for this level of intrusion because it hurts more people than some stupid other OS or rights issue you are pointing to. The gigantic majority of folks who own these consoles use them as intended and not to run other programs like linux or homebrew.

Where in law does it say you must use X device in Y way? If I buy a device I can use it as a door stop if I wanted to.

bangai-o said:
Everyone is just blaming these "virgins" in their moms basement etc. How the fuck is a multi-billion dollar corporation going have this happen and not take some responsibility?

Kaz is too busy smanging cheerleaders to care.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mattdaddy said:
My tech knowledge is 0 so maybe others can explain it, but it blows my mind how a company the size of Sony, with the financial and technological resources at their disposal could get buttfucked so hard by a bunch of douchers behind a keyboard. But here we are, so apparently it's easier than it sounds.
To stop Anonymous, Sony needs to create a 100% flawless security system.

To mess with Sony, Anonymous needs to find one exploit.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
railGUN said:
Wow.

I don't think someone hacked in and shut the place down (in protest of GeoHot or OtherOS).

Someone hacked in, probably tried to, or did steal money or information, and Sony, realizing the seriousness of the intrusion willingly shut things down to fix the security breach.

Think about it.

It's no mystery, that's exactly what the post in the OP says. Sony shut PSN down, not the hackers. You can blame hackers for getting into PSN, but they didn't forcibly shut it down.

Esperado

Outtrigger888 said:
Never understood this either, can someone please explain why you would want to run linux or another OS on the ps3, whats the bennefit.
Honestly, I think it's just a holdover from the Xbox days, when XBMC was actually a legitimately awesome entertainment system that cost a bargain 2-3 hundred at the time. Now of course, in part thanks to atom, we've got these semi powerful media systems that can be purchased for only 1-2 hundred, and the ability to use wireless controllers, remotes, etc. with them. With AMD Fusion and whatever new silicon Intel is cooking up, you just get a much better system for your money now.

droopy

I think Sony can shoulder some blame here. The PSN is a massive service: regardless of who hacked it and how
they should have a way of not getting randomly fucked over by hackers and stuck with 4+ days of downtime.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So anyone who bought Portal 2 still hasn't been able to play co op or sign into steam? Jesus.

rosjos44

Mattdaddy said:

No matter how secure you make a system, their will always be a way to break it. Rule one in security is that nothing is never 100% secure.

You would be surprised what you can do just securing a Router / Switch. For example, CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) should be turned off. So many things to consider its crazy.

VitaminApple said:

Of course they care, PSN is an important component of their PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom