• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Q1 PS3 Hardware Sales Up 118 % Year-on-Year

gofreak said:
This has historically been true, and while it is still true that Europe is probably the biggest difference maker, since Slim the situation in the US has recovered sufficiently such that Japan is more a of a net contributor, if you wanna consider it in those terms. This year so far, for example, the balance with Japan+US is over 300k in PS3's favour.

I've had a look at their Q4 transcript and powerpoint and can't find a single solitary indication of any forecast about 360 unit sales. I guess they don't necessarily give this guidance as a matter of course?

Even 10m would seem too low. They did over 10m last year, and this year they have new models, and Kinect. I presume they are expecting growth! I think, unless someone could point it out, they're keeping their forecasts close to their chests.

I just remember seeing that number here on GAF when they released their numbers in the OPs post. can't find the thread using search though, don't know what it was called.

Snipes424 said:
I think this is actually about the best point in here.
the situation was never as dire as people made it out to be.

Road

Was bored...

7EgcN.png
w6fwG.png

Software:
- 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 from Chart-Track and Enterbrain (does not include PC);
- 2010H1 from weekly Chart-Track (with PC) and Media-Create (without PC).

More here.

Quite interesting. I wonder if the main difference in hardware is mostly down to the astonishing performance of handhelds in Japan.

CozMick

Banned
Curufinwe said:
That chart is a response to people claiming the UK games market was bigger than Japan, right?

Hardware, Yes!

But Software is booming in the UK, doubling up in almost every year.

Based on that chart I'd say in terms of total revenue it wouldn't surprise me if the UK was bigger... by virtue of how screwed our currency is. :lol

mujun

Classic24 said:
yeah but that secret weapon isnt killing the ps3, ps3 at 199 would be a bloodbath:lol

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Who knows what effect an MS price drop would have on the competition between PS3 and 360.

Sure a drop to 199 would spur PS3 sales but the same might be said for a drop to 149 or even 99 of the arcade.

Baki

mujun said:
Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Who knows what effect an MS price drop would have on the competition between PS3 and 360.

Sure a drop to 199 would spur PS3 sales but the same might be said for a drop to 149 or even 99 of the arcade.

My crystal balls > crystal ball. :lol

Atomski said:
I wouldn't be surprised if ms just pushes for download Only or some sorta multi disk install. Keep in mind next gen will be quiet a ways off.

I'd be surprised if MS had an optical disc drive in their next system (assuming there is a next gen system at all).

Sony will definitely have blu ray (assuming there is a traditional ps4 in the works) and I could see Nintendo with a BD drive as well.

Baki

H_Prestige said:
I'd be surprised if MS had an optical disc drive in their next system (assuming there is a next gen system at all).

Sony will definitely have blu ray (assuming there is a traditional ps4 in the works) and I could see Nintendo with a BD drive as well.

MS would be stupid not to have games on a Physical medium next generation. DD-only would be a stupid move.

H_Prestige said:

Microsoft will definitely continue with the Xbox brand- it's currently too valuable and profitable not to.

as for disc based, its 100% certain this is happening for all next gen systems.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Atomski said:
I wouldn't be surprised if ms just pushes for download Only or some sorta multi disk install. Keep in mind next gen will be quiet a ways off.

That would be the dumbest thing ever! What if I don't have the internet?

spwolf

H_Prestige said:

huh?

J-Rzez

No way in hell MS goes DD with their next system. Not all 360's are connected to the net. Not everyone has a great connection to support DD. And with all these talks with "Caps" on your bandwidth, it's going to put a real damper on people who buy multiple games a month. Not many would enjoy waiting for hours, for some days, to download a 10gb+ game.

Going DD only, even 2-3 years from now, would be suicide.

J-Rzez said:
No way in hell MS goes DD with their next system. Not all 360's are connected to the net. Not everyone has a great connection to support DD. And with all these talks with "Caps" on your bandwidth, it's going to put a real damper on people who buy multiple games a month. Not many would enjoy waiting for hours, for some days, to download a 10gb+ game.

Going DD only, even 2-3 years from now, would be suicide.

Oh, I agree, DD only sucks. But I could see MS doing it in some lame attempt to "get ahead of the curve".

H_Prestige said:
Oh, I agree, DD only sucks. But I could see MS doing it in some lame attempt to "get ahead of the curve".
The only thing that would get them is a one-way ticket out of the console business. I'm pretty sure the PSP Go has provided a very instructive lesson for everyone.

Classic24 said:
yeah but that secret weapon isnt killing the ps3, ps3 at 199 would be a bloodbath:lol

PS3 at $199 would be a wrecking machine for sure because I think most of the public recognizes the value of the hardware relative to 360 but isn't ready to pull the trigger at $299. Same phenomenon as PS2.

Revolver

H_Prestige said:

I've had that thought too. I'd bet they'd like to take a shot at it. But like what's been said, even 2-3 years would probably be too soon for such a model. I thought the PSP Go was a bad move also, but it didn't stop the stupidity from making it to market. Who knows what will happen? I think in the end they'll stick to a disc based medium, but I wouldn't be shocked if they tried DD.

Minsc

Gold Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
The only thing that would get them is a one-way ticket out of the console business. I'm pretty sure the PSP Go has provided a very instructive lesson for everyone.

What did the PSP Go do wrong that the iPhone/iPod didn't? Seems the DD-only market place of the those are thriving, it is seeing a bunch of great retro games (like the recent port of Sega's Shining Force, or Square's FF1/2 and the upcoming FF:Tactics), not to mention countless original unique titles.

I don't think you're average console gamer wants to download 6GBs+ games even if more and more people are welcoming that, but on a handheld where games seem to be around 10-200MBs+, this isn't big a problem for most people.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow. can they just lower the price of the PS2 already not give us a bundle? Unless that is just going to be available in Latin America?

GamerKit seems to be a Latin America only program.

Classic24

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
PS3 at $199 would be a wrecking machine for sure because I think most of the public recognizes the value of the hardware relative to 360 but isn't ready to pull the trigger at $299. Same phenomenon as PS2.
bingo.

jcm

OldJadedGamer said:
I can use thousands of CD's I already own on my iPod touch. I can't use a single UMD I own on the Go.

You can use those CDs on a PSP Go, too. We're talking about software.

Top Bottom