• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Q1 PS3 Hardware Sales Up 118 % Year-on-Year

Serenity

Psychotext said:
PAL region is far too big to state that conclusively. Especially as it contains a number of (large in terms of games sales) countries where the 360 is far from weak.

I thought it was accepted that ps3 does better than 360 in pal and has surpassed it in pretty my every region there except UK n Australia

gcubed said:
the PAL region as a whole then. There really is no question that they are weak in the PAL region considered as a whole

It would be more accurate to state that they're weak in continental Europe. The 360's market share in the UK isn't too far behind what it is in NA and considering the UK is now a bigger market than Japan, well it'd be silly just to discount their performance there.

Baki

flyinpiranha said:
If there is a 3.6m difference, by March 2011 it would mean PS3 would have to sell 450,000 more than the 360 each month wouldn't it? Unless I'm really doing the math wrong (which quite possibly could be true :lol ) ... but I just don't see it doing that.

It all depends on MS holiday performance. If they remain flat YoY, then the PS3 will outsell it within the fiscal year (provided they meet the FY targets).

Like I said, Kinect bundles are a massive wild card.

Jomjom

Banned
The 360 and the PS3 might technically be going for runner up in the console race, but if you look at it in another way, they are vying to be the leader for the core market. I have a Wii and I love it, so I'm not trying to troll, but arguing that the Wii is competing for exactly the same dollars that the 360 and PS3 are competing for is disingenuous. I mean if we were going to talk about first place in such a broad manner, technically the Wii is 2nd as the DS should be the leader.

mujun

SoulPlaya said:
It's always these kinds of threads that bring out the fanboys in all their shameless BS. People have been predicting that the PS3 will overtake the 360 in WW sales for a LONG time now. Let's see how Kinect/ 360 S does first.

There is no denying that they've narrowed the gap and that they've got some momentum behind them. Steady flow of good/great games, reasonable price for a great package, hardware reliability better than their most direct competitor, free online, etc.

Ashes

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
If there is a 3.6m difference, by March 2011 it would mean PS3 would have to sell 450,000 more than the 360 each month wouldn't it? Unless I'm really doing the math wrong (which quite possibly could be true :lol ) ... but I just don't see it doing that.

Growth doesn't quite work like that. And the christmas season usually see's a double month, followed by doubling of that month in the december period.
Reading the papers over here in the UK, the biggest retailers are expecting the best seller to be the ipad, along with KINECT this christmas. Move has hardly been mentioned in those reports.

mintylurb

Karma said:
The 360 shipped 5.9 Million units before the PS3 was released not 10 Million.
MS shipped 5 million units by July 2006. http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/07/7321.ars I believe MS did manage to ship 10 Million by the end of 2006.

Elios83 said:
Actually I remember that they overshipped like crazy to be able to announce in November 2006 (when PS3 and Wii were launched) that they shipped 10m and the first to ship 10m always wins :lol
I think MS said first to sell, not shipped, 10 million wins.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/may08/05-14360first10pr.mspx

mintylurb said:
MS shipped 5 million units by July 2006. http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/07/7321.ars I believe MS did manage to ship 10 Million by the end of 2006.

I think MS said first to sell, not shipped, 10 million wins.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/may08/05-14360first10pr.mspx
That is correct, MS stuffed the channels and shipped 10 million before the end of 06. It then took them another three months to sell through them, give or take. It's hard to nail down exactly how much they sold by the end of 06 but it was probably around 7.5 - 8.5 million.

I expect GT5 is going to give PS3 a bump in Europe .
Even if they do a 50 price drop it would still help .
A 300 euro ps3 with GT 5 bundle would make a killing same for NA.

Serenity

brain_stew said:
It would be more accurate to state that they're weak in continental Europe. The 360's market share in the UK isn't too far behind what it is in NA and considering the UK is now a bigger market than Japan, well it'd be silly just to discount their performance there.

And mccain won texas. If you are going to seperate out the UK then you have to do the same for all the other countries in the region and just judge each on an indivual basis.

mckmas8808 said:
Kinect seems to be such a huge wildcard.

And the fact that MS hasn't dropped the entry price of the unit currently in production in over 2 years. I'm pretty sure we will see another drop this Xmas.

Averon said:
The NPS division posted a loss of $43 million USD.

So Sony, Microsoft, AND Nintendo's gaming divisions lost money last Q? Not to mention the Capcom disaster of a report. Earnings this Q aren't looking too hot for the industry.

SlipperySlope said:
So Sony, Microsoft, AND Nintendo's gaming divisions lost money last Q? Not to mention the Capcom disaster of a report. Earnings this Q aren't looking too hot for the industry.

I thought it was posted in this thread earlier that Sonys gaming division didnt lose money?

gtj1092 said:
http://www.irwebcasting.com/live/100729/02/9884f681c3/index.html

Apparently the games division has been profitable the last three quarters.

Even using the network products division result sony still posted the smallest loss of the three game groups between themselves MS, and nintendo.

Classic24

Banned
I remember nearly 2 years ago, people deemed the ps3 a failure and how it was never going to catch the 360............:lol
if sony promotes the shit out of GT5 across the world, then who knows........I'm sure move can cancel out kinect

J-Rzez

mujun said:
And yet you don't say the same to people like Man or Jrzez who are not far off trolling.

It's not trolling, it's a direct factor in said sales and company placement. Just for you, it's the MS machine in question here with reliability, and not a Sony machine. It's a known FACT that the 360 is the worst built console of all time, and it's pretty well known how many 360 owners even here have had to buy new 360's once theirs was out of warranty, or, when they wanted a "newer-fewer-problem" hardware model. So all in all, their number can be inflated pretty greatly due to this.

And seriously, who wouldn't want to know a real tally on the RRoD? That'd make a great discussion.

yurinka

J-Rzez said:
It's not trolling, it's a direct factor in said sales and company placement. Just for you, it's the MS machine in question here with reliability, and not a Sony machine. It's a known FACT that the 360 is the worst built console of all time, and it's pretty well known how many 360 owners even here have had to buy new 360's once theirs was out of warranty, or, when they wanted a "newer-fewer-problem" hardware model. So all in all, their number can be inflated pretty greatly due to this.

And seriously, who wouldn't want to know a real tally on the RRoD? That'd make a great discussion.
I agree, but tie ratio (game units for the system sold / consoles sold) proves this isn't true.
360 always had far bigger tie ratio than PS3 and Wii.

With time, after severrall millions RROD systems, this ratio always growed instead of shrinking. PS3's ratio growed even more, now almost equalling 360.

I assume most people send their console to MS or buy a non 360 system instead of just buying another one. This or here we have an issue with 5+ games bundled with each console, or really huge XBLA sales compared with PSN&WiiWare.

gofreak said:
edit - oopsies! I read that as September 2010! Nvm.

By the by, regarding profitability for the games business in this full fiscal year, they were slightly less committal in the Q+A than in their presentation. It sounds like profitability for the full year is merely a hope, while break-even is the actual commitment.

I'm wondering why that is. From the conference call, we know the game business has been profitable for the past 3 quarters and we also know that they are making money on the hardware for the PS3, PSP and PS2, and their biggest IP is finally coming out this FY. There are 2 main things I can think of that would bring the game business back in the red: Price drop or R&D for new HW.

yurinka

AranhaHunter said:
I'm wondering why that is. From the conference call, we know the game business has been profitable for the past 3 quarters and we also know that they are making money on the hardware for the PS3, PSP and PS2, and their biggest IP is finally coming out this FY. There are 2 main things I can think of that would bring the game business back in the red: Price drop or R&D for new HW.
Well, these 160GB/320GB SKUs announced for Japan looks like they are even cheaper (160GB SKU has the same price than current 120GB SKU). And maybe there is a price drop incoming, or they bundle with PSEye, Move or some games with the same price.

I bet they will announce in Gamescon price drop for both PS3 and PSP this year for September.

Mrbob

OldJadedGamer said:
And the fact that MS hasn't dropped the entry price of the unit currently in production in over 2 years. I'm pretty sure we will see another drop this Xmas.

I don't think MS needs too, their new models can last through next spring and then a price cut can be made. I guess we'll see if MS likes money more than trying to maintain their hardware lead.

I think the PS3 overtaking the 360 worldwide is inevitable. It will happen in the next 24 months regardless of what MS does. But the final tally will be close (probably within 5 to 10 million units of each other) so each company just needs to focus on making money since they are both selling hardware at a decent clip now.

Honestly MS needs to focus on selling more hardware outside of USA and UK. Their pull is not that strong beyond those two regions. If Xbox lost one of those regions it would be pretty disastrous to the brand (especially USA). Sony lost some major footing in both regions this gen yet are recovering fairly well. MS does not have other areas to count on.

I think next generation will be a lot more interesting than trying to compare sales of the platforms this gen. MS is going to have to launch against the revitalized Nintendo stronghold and a reinvigorated Playstation platform.

AranhaHunter said:

Unless they are anticipating losses in the Move arena?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dedication Through Light said:
Unless they are anticipating losses in the Move arena?

They've said the hardware will be profitable out the gate...software usually is too.

There is stuff like R&D to consider, but also foreign exchange, the yen/euro stuff, which is a big uncertainty. So they've reason to be conservative I think.

Banned
Mrbob said:
I think next generation will be a lot more interesting than trying to compare sales of the platforms this gen. MS is going to have to launch against the revitalized Nintendo stronghold and a reinvigorated Playstation platform.

Sony will have to launch against a much stronger Xbox and Nintendo brand and without having the blu-ray advantage.

Redbeard

Banned
gofreak said:
edit - oopsies! I read that as September 2010! Nvm.

By the by, regarding profitability for the games business in this full fiscal year, they were slightly less committal in the Q+A than in their presentation. It sounds like profitability for the full year is merely a hope, while break-even is the actual commitment.

Why is this the case if they are already profitable? Traditionally, the summer months have been the LEAST profitable of all other quarters, and yet Sony is already profitable.

What exactly would they have to worry about for the next 3 quarters with respect to profitability? Console prices will continue to drop, and if they keep the price the same, then having full year profitability should be pretty much guaranteed.

Are they less committal because of something we don't know? Price drop?

Paracelsus

Karma said:
Sony will have to launch against a much stronger Xbox and Nintendo brand and without having the blu-ray advantage.

Your so-called advantage caused the "599 united states dollars" disaster, which helped more the XBOX360 than the PS3. When PS3 reached a pricepoint that really meant value as both a gaming machine and bluray player, standalone players were already thrown in your face.

[Nintex]

Mrbob said:
Honestly MS needs to focus on selling more hardware outside of USA and UK.
There's a total market collapse outside those two regions. Just look at Japanese weekly sales to see how dire things become at times. Japanese developers are trying to appeal to western markets and some of them fail but they keep trying because their own market is in the shitter.

As for Europe, the biggest blow of the economic problems are yet to hit us. We've just had a wave of problems in the stock market and government bailouts as well as the shit with Greece(that might repeat itself with Spain) and the fund to save the Euro. All that money has to return somehow and especially students and other low-income groups will be hit pretty hard. So I understand that MS's priority isn't those two markets.

Playstation has always been a popular brand in Europe and now Nintendo has them beat. MS is in a fairly stable position but if retailers aren't willing to buy more products there's not much they can do to improve their position. The jump in popularity from Xbox to Xbox 360 was quite amazing, nothing like GameCube to Wii but still quite an achievement. The expansion of the European market happened when the fools believed that the terrible US economy at that time wouldn't effect the European economy(at least that's what some of our politicians wanted us to believe so they could keep spending).

Paracelsus said:
Your so-called advantage caused the "599 united states dollars" disaster, which helped more the XBOX360 than the PS3. When PS3 reached a pricepoint that really meant value as both a gaming machine and bluray player, standalone players were already thrown in your face.

Yeah the blu-ray advantage could be argued as a large Achilles for Sony especially in the beginning.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Oooooooh, a "My console is better than your console" thread. Haven't seen one of these in a while.

Anywho, I don't believe it'll make a difference who comes out on top, second, third, or even fourth place then gen. The cast been set in the eyes of third party devs/pubs. They see both MS and Sony has equals. Both make viable platforms to reach the audience those devs/pubs want to reach. I don't see Nintendo's home console as being attractive to devs/pubs because they feel their games on Nintendo's console can't compete with Nintendo's own first party games. However, Nintendo's handheld consoles are an exception to this because those handhelds are far and away more popular than anything else on the market.

Cruzader

Banned
Karma said:

First Party IPs > Blu ray at this point and when PS4 launches. Improved Bluray specs will be a key "bullet point" for PS4 though.

Mrbob said:

Next gen will be the best since there won't be any pre-conceived ideas of who the default winners and losers will be like there was this gen and all three will start on 100% equal footing. I can't remember the last time that ever happened in the history of gaming.

Mrbob said:
Honestly MS needs to focus on selling more hardware outside of USA and UK.

I don't know if it matters to the average gamer. The Sega Master System was a great success in Europe over the NES but that meant nothing to the average US/JPN gamer.

Karma said:

Right, this gen we saw Nintendo and MS get stronger then they were last gen where as Sony lost footing this gen compared to last. Next gen is going to be one of the best to watch IMO.

Vilix said:
Anywho, I don't believe it'll make a difference who comes out on top, second, third, or even fourth place then gen. The cast been set in the eyes of third party devs/pubs. They see both MS and Sony has equals. Both make viable platforms to reach the audience those devs/pubs want to reach.

Agreed, this gen is pretty much set in stone on where games are going to be made and being second or third is not going to change it.

Elios83

Karma said:

That will only mean that there won't be a second 599 US dollars moment :p

Btw I'm kinda suprised that it looks like Microsoft won't cut their prices this year too and are betting everything on a high priced device like Kinect. Or at least that's what their 399$ bundle in September and their 299$ bundle in November seem to suggest.
When they announced the discontinuation of the old 360 models at 149$ and 249$ I immediately thought that those prices would be passed on to the slim models in September but that's not the case.

Cruzader said:
First Party IPs > Blu ray at this point and when PS4 launches. Improved Bluray specs will be a key "bullet point" for PS4 though.

Well Microsoft would have to adopt BluRay, Sony could embrace 100+GB Blu-Rays...though could developers completely fill up the space? Actually at this point wont all three companies have to go Blu-Ray (or would Ninty use faux blu-ray to avoid those royalties?), though I cant see the device not being able to play some form of disc based movie media. The only improved Blu-Ray specs would be more size, right?

The next generation, apart from all 3 consoles focusing on Blu-ray, will probably be about refinements in eachs companies respective motion controllers. I could imagine seeing Nintendo and Sony, perceived by consumers as one and the same again...both would offer 3D and hand based motion controllers.

though it would be a rather dreary gen if its just about Wii2 as Wii with double the power, PS4 with bigger BluRays and power, and 360 with exponential power, lol.

mujun

J-Rzez said:

I thought it was a bannable offence to say that a large part of the 360s sales are from people buying replacement consoles? Maybe that was just in NPD threads.

Besides which when I referred to you I was referring to the way you made it sound like a bad thing that the 360 has a high SW attach rate. I'm sure if it was the PS3 in that position you'd be lauding them for their achievement.

J-Rzez said:

You could get banned for saying this. The reason your post is stupid is simple:

Attach rates. If you want to believe that RROD inflated the 360 sales numbers drastically, then that would mean that the 360 has the most retardedly unbelievable attach rate of any console ever by a huge margin.

And seriously, who wouldn't want to know a real tally on the RRoD? That'd make a great discussion

No one gives a shit anymore. I haven't heard people talking about RROD for like, ages. Sony fanboys need to let this shit go. The consoles had like, a normal death rate for quite some time. At least 2 years, maybe going on 3.

Concept17

It is still crazy that they've managed to sell nearly 40 million units at $300+ The thing isn't even down to the Wii's original price point.

Baki

Arpharmd B said:
You could get banned for saying this. The reason your post is stupid is simple:

Attach rates. If you want to believe that RROD inflated the 360 sales numbers drastically, then that would mean that the 360 has the most retardedly unbelievable attach rate of any console ever by a huge margin.

No one gives a shit anymore. I haven't heard people talking about RROD for like, ages. Sony fanboys need to let this shit go. The consoles had like, a normal death rate for quite some time. At least 2 years, maybe going on 3.

Lets not get crazy now. Regardless, RROD is a non-issue because of the 3 year warranty. In terms of sales, financial reports count sold to retail (so RROD is extremely negligible).

Snipes424

Concept17 said:
It is still crazy that they've managed to sell nearly 40 million units at $300+ The thing isn't even down to the Wii's original price point.

I think this is actually about the best point in here.

Banned
Cruzader said:
First Party IPs < Blu ray at this point and when PS4 launches. Improved Bluray specs will be a key "bullet point" for PS4 though.
All 3 will have blu-ray next gen.

The PS2 ain't going nowhere:

Launching in August, the Gamer Kit line will offer the PlayStation 2 Gamer Kit, which comes with a PlayStation 2 system, two DUALSHOCK 2 controllers, an 8MB Memory Card, and three top games, in addition to the PSP (PlayStation Portable) Gamer Kit, which bundles a PSP system, a Traveler's Case, and three popular games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109326p1.html

Killzone 3 and inFamous 2 are also getting localized with Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese for those interested. I wonder if GT5 will get the same treatment, I know my cousin would love it if it did.

Classic24

Banned
ps3 at 199 is sony's secret weapon, correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't over half of the ps2s sold were at a price point of 199?
I can see it happening sometime in 2011 if sony can get 32 nm parts inside and do another redesign and make it slimmer
(white please!!!! crosses fingers):D

AranhaHunter said:
The PS2 ain't going nowhere:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109326p1.html

Killzone 3 and inFamous 2 are also getting localized with Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese for those interested. I wonder if GT5 will get the same treatment, I know my cousin would love it if it did.

Wow. can they just lower the price of the PS2 already not give us a bundle? Unless that is just going to be available in Latin America?

mujun

Classic24 said:
ps3 at 199 is sony's secret weapon, correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't over half of the ps2s sold were at a price point of 199?
I can see it happening sometime in 2011 if sony can get 32 nm parts inside and do another redesign and make it slimmer
(white please!!!! crosses fingers):D

MS has the same secret weapon though at a lower price.

Atomski

Karma said:
All 3 will have blu-ray next gen.
I wouldn't be surprised if ms just pushes for download Only or some sorta multi disk install. Keep in mind next gen will be quiet a ways off.

Atomski said:
I wouldn't be surprised if ms just pushes for download Only or some sorta multi disk install. Keep in mind next gen will be quiet a ways off.

Or they could do some weird hybrid HD-DVD disc to prevent piracy like Sega tried with their own format the GD-Rom. Think about it, by the time next gen rolls around stand alone Blu-ray players with Netflix streaming built in will be like $50 bucks so not putting it in a console won't hurt it. The Wii does just fine even though it doesn't play DVD movies.

Top Bottom