• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Rep. - "If anyones developing a ps2 emulator we may potentially buy it for ps3"

larvi said:
Are you implying that a PR rep does?
No, but the thread title makes it sound like it's some sort of official statement from Sony when it's clearly one bottom-rung guy's uninformed ramblings.

theBishop

Banned
Those retail sales reps don't know anything. And anyway, a PS2 emulator targeting the PS3 would almost have to be an officially licensed project. I can't imagine developing in OtherOS with the Cell alone could produce a working PS2 emulator.

Guy Legend

I would imagine that Sony is already working on it. It will allow them to sell PS2 games on PSN, bring back this attractive feature for when the PS2 dies out and more consumers are looking to buy as the PS3's price declines, as well as cementing it for PS4 which most likely will be based on PS3 architecture.

bryehn

WickedLaharl said:
2pr8lxy.png
2pr8lxy.png
2pr8lxy.png

Probably the best post we'll see in this thread.

ruxtpin said:
Driver didn't work either.

And MGS3 on my 80gb PS3 is a godawful mess that's not only unplayable, but it actually slows down during the cutscenes.
I played through the entirety of MGS3 on my 80GB PS3 twice, there were framerate issues but it was completely playable 95% of the time... that other 5% was The Fury boss fight - those fire effects put the game in literal slow motion (made it easier to snipe though).

kodt said:
I have this thing called a PS2 and it happens to play PS2 games. Amazing!

God, I hate it when people throw this supposed jab out. Ever played a PS2 on an HDTV?

Alrighty then.

*hugs 80GB MGS bundle with PS2 UPSCALING*

ruxtpin

Banned
Houston3000 said:
I played through the entirety of MGS3 on my 80GB PS3 twice, there were framerate issues but it was completely playable 95% of the time... that other 5% was The Fury boss fight - those fire effects put the game in literal slow motion (made it easier to snipe though).

I couldn't even get through the first battle with Ocelot. I felt like I was watching a slides-show, and I'm not generally the type of person to notice frame-rate hiccups; but I guess I noticed it in that one.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm going to assume that the OP works for a game store. A person I work with has a son who is one of the GS store managers in town and he's told me on more than one occasion that the reps for the big 3 blow so much smoke up their clients asses just to see what gets dissemenated to the public. Back in early 06 before the Wii was officially announced (or maybe it was 05, when it was still known as the revolution) he told me that Nintendo and MS were close to merging their console divisions and you'd see the next Mario and Zelda on the 360 and the DS and Zune would have compatible software applications. I told him that was insane and would never happen and where did he get such an idea. His MS rep "spilled the beans" during a store visit and basically said it was just about a done deal, expect major announcements during E3 or whatever. Of course what the guy was really trying to do was spread a rumor to hype up the 360 and downplay the once and future Revolution. If a Sony/MS/Nintendo rep told me it was January 2009, I wouldn't believe them at all.

Grayman

brain_stew said:
You heard it here first folks. The PS3 can magic bandwidth out of thin air and run x86 code natively.
huzzah for the magic PS3!

FlyinJ said:
Really? That's interesting... I could have sworn we used the idle PS1 chipset in some of our PS2 games to do menial tasks...
what a shameful retirement for the ps1. You should have given it a gold watch and cushy job.

Doubledex

Banned
mephesta said:
Which is how sony had ps1 BC inside the ps2.

I'll preface with the fact that my sony rep is a huge tool. I'm surprised to not find him on a sinking political campaign saying everything is great and that there are no issues.

The conversation arose yesterday when we were discussing some backward compatibility issues after he mentioned that the 160gb Uncharted bundled was limited and would start to fade out soon. He mentioned that since the ps2 has just 1 year left on its life cycle not to expect them to develop anything new with regards to backward comp. He then leans in and lowers his voice, as if to tell me some deep dark secret and mentions that sony may be willing to potentially buy a ps2 emulator to put in future consoles.

I pointed out that I thought there already was a ps2 emulator and he shrugged it off saying that he was just spreading the idea out there.

I don't know its kind of interesting seeing as how they already have done something similar in regards to the ps1 bc in the ps2. I think it odd he sort of forwarded it willingly, i don't know if this means that sony has told their reps to maybe quitely spread something like this and my rep just believes that he has been entrusted with a national secret. I thought this interesting and wanted to share.

-Meph
.............:lol :lol :lol :lol

Tain

God, I hate it when people throw this supposed jab out. Ever played a PS2 on an HDTV?

Alrighty then.

*hugs lagless, gorgeous SD display that is actually worth playing Espgaluda on*

jakncoke

Banned
My 60 gb better not die, and I think it is ;( , I have to restart my ps3 like 3-4 times to get it to recognize the game in the system

FlyinJ said:
Really? That's interesting... I could have sworn we used the idle PS1 chipset in some of our PS2 games to do menial tasks...

Yeah, I was under the impression all of the BC hardware was still in the slim, just tightly integrated. Any games with problems running were due to quirks in the architecture change from a basic PS1, similar to how even a fully BC PS3 would have issues with PS2 games.

Rolf NB

Lateraleye said:

Alrighty then.

*hugs glorious actual HDTV with scaling not designed by drunk apes on a 5 cent budget*

Second said:
Yeah, Xbox BC on X360 is so perfect.

It's certainly not, but it IS kind of impressive for software emu if you follow the scene. I wouldn't expect any PS2 software emu to be much better, TBH, at least as far as overall compatibility is concerned.

I came into this thread expecting something from CES, instead I get a bs conversation between a sales associate and a fucking sony SALES rep.

Lovely.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
It's certainly not, but it IS kind of impressive for software emu if you follow the scene. I wouldn't expect any PS2 software emu to be much better, TBH, at least as far as overall compatibility is concerned.

Nizz

TrAcEr_x90 said:
*Hugs* 60gig Ps3....."Dont you quit me!!!"

Redd said:
So glad I listened to my fears and got my BC model for $399 when I got the chance.

*hugs his 60gb PS3.

CHRP718 said:
*hugs 60GB PlayStation® 3*

Beardz said:
*Hugs 20GB PS3* You are more rare than those 60,80 GB...

Lateraleye said:

Alrighty then.

DarkUSS said:
*reads the thread with disbelief while hugging PS3 60GB

*Hugs his $599 US dollars 60g PS3*

group-hug.jpg

YYZ

No hugz for my dead 20GB, it died last Feb. I think.

Pro Tip, don't run folding@home.

If you're running it regularly and your launch unit hasn't died then I would consider you lucky.

Erebus

Kagari said:
That made me think... PSThree soon...

To be unveiled at E3. Believe! :D

YYZ said:
No hugz for my dead 20GB, it died last Feb. I think.

Pro Tip, don't run folding@home.

If you're running it regularly and your launch unit hasn't died then I would consider you lukcy.

Sorry no hugs for you then. Did you give it a proper burial at least? :lol

Lateraleye said:

Alrighty then.

You do realize that the custom GS's output is noticeably lower quality than an actual PS2, right? I did a side by side with a 60GB and a fat PS2 with Tales of the Abyss for load time comparisons and the image quality difference was pretty stark as there seems to be something up with the PS3's ability to render good blacks.

seriously, throw a bunch of code junkies into a room with some ps2's, games, ps3 devkits, and a ton of mountain dew and let 'em have at it. im sure they'd do it for a klondike bar, much less for money from sony.

Nizz

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
seriously, throw a bunch of code junkies into a room with some ps2's, games, ps3 devkits, and a ton of mountain dew and let 'em have at it. im sure they'd do it for a klondike bar, much less for money from sony.
:lol :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
lol, this sounds like my Christmas shopping passing by at Gamestop
"Nope, we don't have any used bc enabled PS3 but seriously the new on is just as good since I know for sure Sony is going to implement the PS2 emulator in new PS3s any day now"

Thread title/expecations= massive fail

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
lupinko said:
Not later fat models and none of the slim skus had hardware, it was all software from there.
PS2 had the following parts of PS1 in there : PS1 CPU(R3000) + 2 PS1 sound chips bolted together(SPU2) + 2MB of sound memory + 2MB of IOP memory + a tiny bit of BC logic in the graphic chip.
Later PS2 models (Series 70000 and above, and I think, the PSX) replace the R3000 with another CPU for which Sony doesn't have to pay a license fee (hence cheaper). Everything else is the same as old models.
BC was always hybrid (just the % of what was SW/HW changed).

Top Bottom