• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Rep. - "If anyones developing a ps2 emulator we may potentially buy it for ps3"

Susurrus

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
seriously, throw a bunch of code junkies into a room with some ps2's, games, ps3 devkits, and a ton of mountain dew and let 'em have at it. im sure they'd do it for a klondike bar, much less for money from sony.

Or just the Mountain Dew.

A Twisty Fluken said:
You do realize that the custom GS's output is noticeably lower quality than an actual PS2, right? I did a side by side with a 60GB and a fat PS2 with Tales of the Abyss for load time comparisons and the image quality difference was pretty stark as there seems to be something up with the PS3's ability to render good blacks.

I will give you the black levels point. But I've tried both a PS2 with component and the PS3 with HDMI, the games being Persona 3 and .hack//G.U.. PS3 reduced the jaggies considerably and slightly improved loading times. I have a 40" Samsung LCD that, at the time I bought it last September, was in the top tier available at the time. DVDs on an upscaling DVD player look fantastic on it.

To come up with a simpler comparison, I'll say that the PS2 looked like a SD image blown up (not upscaled) to HD while the PS3 image looked like a SD image on an SD screen.

x3sphere

My personal belief is that Sony already has a software-based PS2 emulator for PS3 working internally, and they plan to release PS2 titles over the PlayStation Store for those with newer PS3 models. It just doesn't make sense for them to roll this out yet though, since the PS2 is still selling quite well and plus they are making a profit off it, so why give people a reason not to buy the hardware.

Vinci

Danish
x3sphere said:
My personal belief is that Sony already has a software-based PS2 emulator for PS3 working internally, and they plan to release PS2 titles over the PlayStation Store for those with newer PS3 models. It just doesn't make sense for them to roll this out yet though, since the PS2 is still selling quite well and plus they are making a profit off it, so why give people a reason not to buy the hardware.

Perhaps it would give people a reason to invest in a PS3?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Retail sales reps don't know anything. They're just as likely to make shit up as anybody else.

Our Nintendo rep once asked me for recommendations on Wii games. She ended up buying Mercury Meltdown.

x3sphere

Vinci said:
Perhaps it would give people a reason to invest in a PS3?

True, but you also have to remember they are currently are losing money on PS3. The PS2 is still Sony's cash cow at the moment in terms of console hardware, so they really want to keep selling it. BC is a factor that many of us here at NeoGAF would consider before picking up a PS3, but I don't think adding it would make the PS3 any more appealing to your average consumer at the current $399 price point. However, once the PS3 hits the $299 realm, it would be a different story. That combined with software BC would make upgrading to a PS3 very enticing for those who have a PS2 as their only system.

DrXym

I don't understand the issue with the PS3 and software only emulation. They are already most of the way there since they've emulated the EE to a tee. I recognize the GS might have certain performance issues, but realistically A LOT of games would work just fine even if the GS emulation was non-optimal. Lots of games simply wouldn't push the hardware to its limits.

Even for games that do they could start profile games to see how they hit the hardware and produce special case workarounds.

It's in their interests to if for no other reason than being able to sell them from the PSN store.

Guy Legend

Legitimate news is spreading.....

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/rumour-ps2-emulator-coming-playstation-3-$1259719.htm

facepalm.jpg

Lateraleye said:
I will give you the black levels point. But I've tried both a PS2 with component and the PS3 with HDMI, the games being Persona 3 and .hack//G.U.. PS3 reduced the jaggies considerably and slightly improved loading times. I have a 40" Samsung LCD that, at the time I bought it last September, was in the top tier available at the time. DVDs on an upscaling DVD player look fantastic on it.

To come up with a simpler comparison, I'll say that the PS2 looked like a SD image blown up (not upscaled) to HD while the PS3 image looked like a SD image on an SD screen.

Yeah, I was hoping the load times from PS2 games on the PS3 would have been significantly improved, but they're not. My Tales of the Abyss test revealed that HDloader cuts load times by ~50% compared to the 60GB PS3.

Woo-Fu

Banned
seriously, throw a bunch of code junkies into a room with some ps2's, games, ps3 devkits, and a ton of mountain dew and let 'em have at it. im sure they'd do it for a klondike bar, much less for money from sony.

Just don't let them play Persona 4 until they can get it working in software emulation on a PS3.

mephesta said:
Which is how sony had ps1 BC inside the ps2.
So Sony actually used the Connectix Virtual Game Station code for the PS2? Thats pretty funny, that means that both the Xbox and PS1 backwards compatibility code have been written by Aaron Giles. IMO hes the best emulation author out there-- perhaps if Sony kept him on board they'd have PS2 emulation in the PS3 and MS wouldn't have Xbox emulation in the 360.

A Twisty Fluken said:
You do realize that the custom GS's output is noticeably lower quality than an actual PS2, right? I did a side by side with a 60GB and a fat PS2 with Tales of the Abyss for load time comparisons and the image quality difference was pretty stark as there seems to be something up with the PS3's ability to render good blacks.
I hope you realize its just a difference of brightness/color calibration. On my Samsung DLP, the brightness has to be set to about 20 points lower when playing a PS2 game for the blacks to be black. I believe MGS3 and SOTC have the brightness bar so you should be able to calibrate it easy.

Don't forget the bag of magic pixie dust to create the extra bandwidth the PS2 had over the PS3.

They're sitting on a potential goldmine selling PS2 titles over PSN so they must have PS2 BC in the cards.

Besides cutting costs from the PS3, they probably figured why have h/w PS2 BC so people can buy cheap PS2 titles from Gamestop when they can make money selling them over PSN.

brain_stew said:
Don't forget the bag of magic pixie dust to create the extra bandwidth the PS2 had over the PS3.
I thought emulating the Xbox would be impossible on the 360 because the general rule of thumb is you need a 5-10 times more powerful CPU to emulate a less powerful CPU (and multi-cores don't really help). They probably had to do a lot of tricks to get Xbox 1 emulation working on the 360. But since the Xbox library wasn't overwhelmingly big they could tweak the emulator for each game.

Perhaps the PS3 simply doesn't have the power, but I'd think at the very least they could get some of the more popular games working using HLE.

This should be a lesson to Sony to make a console that is easy to emulate though. IMO I don't even think the PS3 will be emulated in the PS4 unless they make the Cell a part of the PS4.

Raistlin

DrXym said:
I don't understand the issue with the PS3 and software only emulation. They are already most of the way there since they've emulated the EE to a tee.

Half of the PS2 (and most would argue, the easier half) = 'already most of the way there'?

:lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
mephesta said:
Which is how sony had ps1 BC inside the ps2.

I'll preface with the fact that my sony rep is a huge tool. I'm surprised to not find him on a sinking political campaign saying everything is great and that there are no issues.

The conversation arose yesterday when we were discussing some backward compatibility issues after he mentioned that the 160gb Uncharted bundled was limited and would start to fade out soon. He mentioned that since the ps2 has just 1 year left on its life cycle not to expect them to develop anything new with regards to backward comp. He then leans in and lowers his voice, as if to tell me some deep dark secret and mentions that sony may be willing to potentially buy a ps2 emulator to put in future consoles.

I pointed out that I thought there already was a ps2 emulator and he shrugged it off saying that he was just spreading the idea out there.

I don't know its kind of interesting seeing as how they already have done something similar in regards to the ps1 bc in the ps2. I think it odd he sort of forwarded it willingly, i don't know if this means that sony has told their reps to maybe quitely spread something like this and my rep just believes that he has been entrusted with a national secret. I thought this interesting and wanted to share.

-Meph
It would be a mistake to stop making PS2s. Wasn't there a survery/study which just came out that said most people are still playing PS2? I think they should look into dropping the price on PS2 and concentrate on making games for it instead of PSP or at least porting over PSP titles. They should also try to get some of the Wii games over to PS2 as well. Alot of people I know don't want to upgrade from a PS2 or just recently bought one for the first time. They shouldn't pull the rug out from under it if it still has legs.

mephesta

sometimes i hate the internet lol. I was just trying to bring out a conversation i had and get a discussion going. oh well.

I'd figure by the fact that no one else has come out to say their rep has mentioned something similar, minus the special effects of course, it would kind of make sense that my rep is a little out of control.

Also sorry for the mislabled thread title, i didn't figure at the time to differentiate between sales and pr, again just wanted a discussion.

-Meph

LightDarkFrexed said:
It will be funny if BC ever makes a return to the PayStation 3, Sony will definitely charge users for a PS2 BC software

Paystation 3?

I seriously hope you're not an Xbox fanboy because that would be the most ironic thing ever :lol

The GAF->Internet->GAF thing is annoying, but in this case I hope it makes it more likely that interviewers will ask about that stuff when E3 rolls around, if not sooner.

[Nintex]

badcrumble said:
The GAF->Internet->GAF thing is annoying, but in this case I hope it makes it more likely that interviewers will ask about that stuff when E3 rolls around, if not sooner.
Gaf > Internet > Gaf is great, it's still going after Metal Gear Triology.

Top Bottom