• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony requiring password changes after 'irregular PSN activity'

PrinceKee

Yep, when I signed in earlier today it prompted and told me my password was of date and told me to go to the website and change it. Hope nothing is going on...

iceatcs

Detected how? Sudden change in IP? I ask because I sometimes connect through VPN.

Not sure, not IP detecting because of Vita. I bet they found out by high number of customer calls. I read some complain posts about unauthorised change the password and large number of Fifa gold packs.

It's only way it happen is hijacking the account with the card detail saved. I have no idea how they hijack, likely found password in somewhere else.

sakipon

if they monitor this stuff, why not delete the accounts that haven't been touched since 2007 to free up some names for people?

never understood why there are so many accounts on XBL and PSN with 0GS and no trophies.

Yeah, now would be a good time to delete the earliest unused PS3 accounts. They could send a warning email and give users a couple of months to react. If not, the name would become available again.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah, just had to reset my password. No notification from Sony, I was just unable to sign in on my computer, tablet, or Vita.

Nikodemos

It's only way it happen is hijacking the account with the card detail saved. I have no idea how they hijack, likely found password in somewhere else.
Phishing. They reroute the address to a dummy server, then look through user info to spot those accounts with a CC linked to them. From then on it's the regular FIFA Ultimate Team moneylaundering scam.

EA should get hit with a subpoena for enabling (or aiding and abetting, whichever applies). They get a decent amount of simoleons from this.

Cide

I wonder if this had anything to do with adding my PSN ID to one of the google spreadsheets on here last week.

TheJLC

I'm guessing that it's because of IP change as I used a few different ones recently and got forced to change mine. But as they said, they do this regularly, as my friend had to change his last month and today again. (He loves VPNs and stuff.)

Mine got reset last week. I had to call Sony, because it wasn't letting me change my password. Turns out I had the wrong date of birth, when I tried resetting my password.

McDougles

The thread is due to an official statement from Sony, as opposed to the rest.

If you saw the edited post this chain came from, I added what I accidentally left off: "Hopefully it's not too serious a problem."

Seriously, for Sony's sake, they can't handle an infrastructure attack right now.

Social

I suddenly got this rockstar social club psn link email. I never touched that. Changed my PW just to be safe

kitch9

Banned
Didn't realize this was a thing... Just spent the last hour creating random, secure passwords for every single one of my accounts after thinking my account was hacked. Now I feel stupid and I have a notebook page filled top to bottom with all of these passwords I'll never remember.

Keepass.

Never forget a password again.

coldfoot

Banned
http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/support/nr_20131122_psn_sen.html?ref=rss

Translation indicates they may have been hacked/compromised again. Though, it does not appear to be anywhere near the level of intrusion as last time.

The Google translation of that page is amazing:

The Company has carried out monitoring of suspicious access to the "PSN" / Sony Entertainment Network from day-to-day, if such access is confirmed, possible that are affected as a prophylactic measure to protect your account information I perform a password reset of Sony Entertainment Network account that has sex

Lemstar

The only NA account I have that was reset was the one I gave the into to a friend yesterday so that he could take the second activation of P4A. I wonder if that's just a coincidence.

Thoraxes

I have a US and JPN account, and both were prompted for password changes when I turned on my PS3 today. Got nothing on PS4 or Vita though.

Phishing. They reroute the address to a dummy server, then look through user info to spot those accounts with a CC linked to them. From then on it's the regular FIFA Ultimate Team moneylaundering scam.

EA should get hit with a subpoena for enabling (or aiding and abetting, whichever applies). They get a decent amount of simoleons from this.
Yeah, they're systematically used to launder money from this account fraud and at the end of the day, they do make a buck off it.

Garou

It always starts with a small news-release, in two weeks it will be this all over again:
sony_1884832c.jpg

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
They're telling me to reset my password, but they're asking for my birthdate and I have no idea what I entered back in 2007, am I screwed? :(

Nibel

I couldn't login, but a password reset helped

The only thing I do though is adding friends or PS+ games

What's with you guys? Every time a console breaks it's RROD all over again, every time someone asks you to change your password it's the PSN hack all over again.

You need to learn to relax and enjoy life instead of being all panicky and paranoid hyperventilating at the first sign of anything out of the ordinary.

That is why I could not login on my Vita yesterday then...

I got no notice for a forced password reset though, which was stupid to say the least.

An email letting me know whould have been appreciated dear Sony

KiteGr

Reset mine as well. (Europe)
It was a good opportunity to change my password into something less obvious.

BadRNG

Question for those who had their passwords required to be changed, did you guys have your CC info on your accounts?
Have CC on account, but I never got an e-mail from Sony saying it needed to be changed. Just couldn't use password anymore and had to reset myself.

Oddly my JPN account doesn't have a credit card, but it did get an e-mail saying it needed to be changed. Maybe because that one actually has an active balance on it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Must just be the US PSN then eh? Since my JP account did not have the PW changed.

*Edit

Saw others are in different regions too. Wonder if its a case by case thing then? wtf. Guess time to change the locks on everything yet again.

Have CC on account, but I never got an e-mail from Sony saying it needed to be changed. Just couldn't use password anymore and had to reset myself.

Oddly my JPN account doesn't have a credit card, but it did get an e-mail saying it needed to be changed. Maybe because that one actually has an active balance on it.

I did (Europe btw)

Do have on account as well, like wise didn't get an email saying it needed to be changed. (Though your JPN account kinda sorta shoots my theory out of the water) See if some others will chime in.

Chuck

Still without luck
it's straight up telling me my password or email is incorrect. It's not saying I need to change it, just that it's wrong. Is this what I should be seeing?

DogMeat77

it's straight up telling me my password or email is incorrect. It's not saying I need to change it, just that it's wrong. Is this what I should be seeing?

Yes, that is what I saw at least. I just went to the SEN and reset password and everything was fine from there.

Chuck

Still without luck
welp, it's telling me that's not my birthday and their office hours are not now so great. this shit sucks.

Dec

So I guess I got hit with this? Password isn't working, says my date of birth and email are wrong on forgot password.

Edit: Nevermind it sent the email. Weird.

Dec

Question for those who had their passwords required to be changed, did you guys have your CC info on your accounts?

I can't remember. I bought PSplus a year ago and that's it.

Unfortunately I had to use my wifes email to create my current PSN account and idk her login. She's sleeping like I should be... I'll worry about this tomorrow.

Top Bottom