• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony requiring password changes after 'irregular PSN activity'

Zutroy

Couldn't login even though I was 99% sure my password was right. Had to reset it. I guess this explains why. No clue what my irregular activity could be.

No email at all from Sony, just "your password doesn't work" on my Vita this morning. Only reason I even thought of checking GAF is because Wario64 tweeted something about it.

I'm fine with cautious security on Sony's part, but very very disappointed in the lack of letting me know what actions they took on my account's behalf.

S¡mon

Banned
If this happens to me, I wouldn't know what to do... as I don't know which date of birth I used years ago. Yes, I know, I should have used my real date of birth... but at the time, it was like quickly creating an account that I probably wouldn't use years later.

No email at all from Sony, just "your password doesn't work" on my Vita this morning. Only reason I even thought of checking GAF is because Wario64 tweeted something about it.

I'm fine with cautious security on Sony's part, but very very disappointed in the lack of letting me know what actions they took on my account's behalf.

Exact same thing happened to me. Seems pretty dumb, especially because my first thought was "oh crap, did someone hack my account?"

hymanator

I was freaking out because my email account was disabled due to inactive use. It looked as if someone hijacked my PSN account and my email at the same time because I couldn't sign into either one, and both services didn't say why I couldn't sign in, just "wrong password".

Chesskid1

Banned
had to change mine, no email notification or anything, just that my username/pw was wrong.

i would of been freakin out if i was an average dumb user imo

What's with you guys? Every time a console breaks it's RROD all over again, every time someone asks you to change your password it's the PSN hack all over again.

You need to learn to relax and enjoy life instead of being all panicky and paranoid hyperventilating at the first sign of anything out of the ordinary.

It ain't people panicking, it's people jumping at the opportunity to flame and prey on those who are a bit more defensive. Some people want a RROD/PSN Hack situation again so they can laugh and get their twisted kicks ;)

Dragon

Banned
Yeah everyone should never reuse a password. There are a million password generators/storage places on the net now, use one of those and then you don't have to worry when places like Adobe get hacked.

Saroyan

I had to change mine last night too, couldn't log in from my Vita or my tablet. I never got any email notice to change my pw though.

daveo42

Banned
No indication of a password change yet. Even if I don't I'll probably change my online password anyway to avoid any potential issues.

Selvaria

I had to change mine last night too, couldn't log in from my Vita or my tablet. I never got any email notice to change my pw though.

I didn't get an e-mail notice either. While using the PS4, I noticed that I was signed out of PSN. Only when I tried to log back in did it notify me to reset me password.

Shadow780

This is so dumb, should've sent me an email about it.

I hope my accounts from other regions aren't affected because I don't remember any DoB I've enter in those regions lol.

Kyon

Banned
It feels kind of weird that I'm getting a little nervous that I haven't been forced to change mine yet :lol

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

I haven't gotten a prompt either

maltrain

Mmm... I have a USA account, a SPANISH account and a CHILEAN account.

No problems or password changes with any of them... good or bad?

IISANDERII

Irregular activities?
Wonder if they mean linking my PSN account to bunch of different things like PS4, COD, Playstation app and cancelling my GT6 preorder.

Just checked all of my 3 accounts and none have been reset...but now I need to know where I can check my birthdays ;) couldn't find it anywhere on PS3.

I just reset mine via PC and the fucking console wont even let me put in the new password it keeps asking me to enter my birthday and email for a password reset. I already fucking did that! anyone else have this stupid loop?

It's becoming quite common these days to have web servers hacked or even just accessed using legit means via a compromised account.

Nobody is really safe unless you have live, 24/7 humans watching network traffic, server operations and access points, which could get really expensive.

There's only so much computer-automated security you can implement and nothing is 100% full-proof. There is ALWAYS a work-around.

So I changed mine even though I didn't get an email; strangely enough I have not been prompted to re-enter my password on my PS4. It's weird, you would think that would be the first thing to pop up.

It does, and rather regularly. It's usually smaller in spread, though, because futbol is more of a European delicacy, and it's more prevalent on Playstation for the same reason.

It does? And regularly? Are you talking about phishing or the actual Xbox Live service being hacked and passwords being compromised.

"Your password is no longer valid. You must change your password"
I already did this, yet every time I try to sign in to PSN, it continues to give me this screen and wont let me manually type in my new password.
What the hell is going on?

What has likely happened is that a mass-brute-force attempt to access accounts took place.

There is also the high potential that given the huge number of security breaches (especially in the gaming world) that the hackers are attempting to login with email addresses and rainbow-tabled passwords from previous breaches with other organisations.

As this only affects some accounts it is highly likely that your email address is either publicly available or was leaked in a security breach.

For many people with email addresses like jimmyluvs2bl0w@gmail.com, their password is much more likely to be correctly discovered than the email address itself as people tend to be lazy and use common passwords, but owing to everyone needing a unique email address these are not guessable.

If you have something like Gmail my recommendation to you is to use the '+' feature for everywhere you are signed up to. For example jummyluvs2bl0w+psn@gmail.com, and of course always use a unique password.

If PSN was hacked again they'd only have your PSN email address, and can therefore not get into your PayPal account or whatever they might try.

Tizoc

Ugh waiting for their blasted chat to go live, I guess they're handling a lot of cases regarding the passwords.

Iorv3th

I have 2 ps4's and a vita I use at home/work. Wonder if that was irregular that I signed into the different ps4's or what. Because they made me reset mine and I have never used the webstore or anything before on PC with it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Seems I've been hit with this. I'm trying to change my password via the site, but it's not sending me the email to do so. What are my options?

edit: nevermind, haha, seems to have sent as I typed this

Top Bottom