• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Sony Says "No" To Direct Ports*

Motto for 2005: O.G., original gaming!

June 14, 2004 - The PSP has, for all intents and purposes, all of the power of the PlayStation 2. That can be a good thing or a bad thing -- while the handheld system has the capabilities to play almost any type of game imaginable (except for, of course, games that rely on a ginchy touch screen for play), it also has the facilities to repurpose almost any console game a publisher may want to quickly cash in on. Fears of rampant porting and retreaded content are concerns apparently weighing in on Sony as well (sure, there are some stiffs in suits over at the corporate office, but you can't run a company without a good share of gamers), as we can confirm that the company is actively staying to its position against direct ports from PlayStation 2 to PSP.

Sony's stance to push developers towards original content for the handheld system is one that it has stated publicly many times before, but a development source actively in production with PSP has confirmed that, in the process of working towards concept approval with Sony (the first stage of getting a game going, where design docs and concept ideas are shot over to Sony for them to approve -- check out this article on Nintendo's game production process to get an idea of how the industry works), the company has been told by Sony that it will not approve direct ports of PS2 titles. How far the term "direct" can be extended is up in the air -- whether that means games without any additional content or PSP exclusive features, or it means no ports of any kind and that any franchise release would have to be a new edition of the series -- but it seems that Sony is standing firm on this issue. Many of the game demos at E3 were from established series, and some were even direct ports of titles in those lines, but E3 was always meant to be a temporary showcase of technology rather than in-game content -- everything we saw at the show could easily change by the time the system actually releases.
Of course, some could point out that Sony has already gone against its own rule. One of the only games actually announced for the system so far is Gran Turismo 4 Mobile -- a port of the upcoming PlayStation 2 racer -- and aside from WiFi online play instead of broadband networked play, the company has stated that GT4 is planned to be indistinguishable from its brother on the two systems. Whether it turns out that, as most other games at the show, GT4 was just a temporary demonstration example of a game that will in actuality end up in a significantly different form (think the difference between the early GT2000 when PS2 was first announced and the final GT3 delivered a year later) or if the company plans to break its own rule this one time just because GT4 is so covert-worthy is still unknown (the PSP version will show up long after the PS2 edition, so additional content may be their deal here.) However, this is a good indication that Sony has no intention of allowing the PSP to be a dumping ground for cash-ins -- they want new gaming experiences for the handheld crowd. And with the main competitor in the handheld space being Nintendo's unique DS system, gamers may well hold them to it.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/523/523360p1.html

Poor EA, their PSP lineup... NFL Street, NBA Street, NFL Street,Tiger Woods PGA, NFSU.

Well it will probably be like in the 32 bit era, when the hardware makers wanted something to distinguish their version of a game from the others, a lot of times they settled for pretty minor changes.

One thing is for sure, EA's entire lineup will get approved.

Mashing

All that is going to serve is to chase some developer way initiallly... the production costs are going to be too high for original games upfront and since there is absoultey no certainty if they'll be sucessful or if even the PSP will be sucessful. I hate to say it but I think quick ports would be the best thing for the system, atleast initially, to build a fanbase and allow the system to get into more people's hands.

Somebody forgot to implement this at E3, too. Unless Frogger and Tales of Phantasia are really original games in disguise...?

this could actually play into Nintendo's hands.

If there are ports they are going to be of games still relatively fresh in peoples minds. Will they be willing to buy the same game again? (of course there is EA sports.... blegh) Nintendo has made a shitload of money off games that were released at near a decade ago or more. Nostaglia wins

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
olubode said:
Uh, what happens to GT4 PSP then?

GT4 PSP isn't a direct port... expect a few extra cars and/or tracks to "distinguish" it... ;)

jarrod

Banned
epmode said:
i'm pretty sure i remember nintendo saying this about the gba and snes, and look how that turned out.
Nope, part of the reason Nintendo dropped the XY buttons from GBA was to dicourage direct SNES ports but they never had a no ports mandate like this.

Translation:

"Fuck, another port proposal!?!? When are the publishers going to send us original concepts?"

Sounds to me like everyone else is content with the PSP being a port machine. Sony's going to find themselves in trouble if their new policy doesn't change.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm sure that, as others have pointed out, there will probably be some leniency in applying this mandate. Much like when MS was making noises about no straight ports from PC or other consoles early in the life of the Xbox.

Still, if you've been following the PSP game/development announcements there's a good number of devs who have begun work on original games, some of whom are specifically targeting the platform because they think original content has a chance of faring better there than on some of the other platforms. So I wouldn't worry too much over the availability of original/unique content.

I still think there will be ports (or at least enhanced versions of games that are available on the PS2). Will they say no to a GTA port? I doubt that.

Kon Tiki

Banned
No ports? Where did I hear that before?

Oh ya, Xbox.
xboxports.jpg

----

Banned
Man, I just wish they gave the PSP a video out jack so you could hook it up to your tv.

Ports of old games on portable = Good
Ports of actual games on portable = Bad
That makes no sense. So you'd rather be able to play Gran Turismo 1 on the PSP than play Gran Turismo 4? Why would that be good?

You must be thinking different.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
---- said:
Man, I just wish they gave the PSP a video out jack so you could hook it up to your tv.

That makes no sense. So you'd rather be able to play Gran Turismo 1 on the PSP than play Gran Turismo 4? Why would that be good?
They probably could make a tv out cable with that usb2.0 port on the PSP.

I don't see what's wrong with this, it's just forcing developers to add more to the game than just simply porting it over to the PSP. It gives fans of that series and people who've never played them even more incentive to check them out.

Laurent

---- said:

You must be thinking different.
Actual franchises must have different games; no ports. There's no need for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater on PSP. But Metal Gear Ac!d is an interesting concept.

Tellaerin

Sony announces PSP; promises a handheld with near PS2-level performance.

Anti-PSP contingent at GAF: 'Oh noes! PSP will be teh port machine! Sony is doomed!'

Sony then states that direct ports of games from other platforms will be discouraged.

Anti-PSP contingent at GAF: 'Oh noes! Nobody wants to develop original content for the PSP! Without teh ports, Sony is doomed!'

I swear, Sony could develop a powerful, practically indestructible handheld with a century-long battery life, manufacture it so cheaply that McDonald's would pack them in for free with Happy Meals, and find some way to sell games for the thing at 99 cents apiece while still turning a profit, and there'd still be somebody here starting a thread to find fault with it. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actual franchises must have different games; no ports. There's no need for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater on PSP. But Metal Gear Ac!d is an interesting concept.
Well, I think I speak for more than one person when I say that I'd rather have MGS3 port on PSP than MGS:A - because for all it's originality, I'd rather play the game I *know* I'd love to play anywhere. Then again, I wouldn't complain if we get both! :p

I swear, Sony could develop a powerful, practically indestructible handheld with a century-long battery life, manufacture it so cheaply that McDonald's would pack them in for free with Happy Meals, and find some way to sell games for the thing at 99 cents apiece while still turning a profit, and there'd still be somebody here starting a thread to find fault with it.
It would probably be along the lines: "Sony is killing/monopolizing the industry!"

Tellaerin said:

Anti-PSP contingent at GAF: 'Oh noes! PSP will be teh port machine! Sony is doomed!'

Sony then states that direct ports of games from other platforms will be discouraged.

Anti-PSP contingent at GAF: 'Oh noes! Nobody wants to develop original content for the PSP! Without teh ports, Sony is doomed!'

That's just how it is, some people don't want Sony winning or even competing with Nintendo in the handheld market. Their reason is usually because they don't want Sony monopolizing the industry, but its perfectly fine for Nintendo to have a monopoly on the handheld industry.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's just how it is, some people don't want Sony winning or even competing with Nintendo in the handheld market. Their reason is usually because they don't want Sony monopolizing the industry, but its perfectly fine for Nintendo to have a monopoly on the handheld industry.

Uhhh, there is a huge difference. If PSP dominates then Sony will Control both markets.

I am not saying I do nto want a PSP, Just sheding some light on your blind spots.

Society said:
Uhhh, there is a huge difference. If PSP dominates then Sony will Control both markets.

I am not saying I do nto want a PSP, Just sheding some light on your blind spots.

They don't have control of either, they're winning in one. There's a difference between having a monopoly and simply winning. Sony's winning in the console market, Nintendo has a monopoly in the handheld market.

Dominant and monopoly are 2 very different things. Compare Sony's control of the console industry to Nintendo on the handheld industry. See that difference?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tellaerin said:

I swear, Sony could develop a powerful, practically indestructible handheld with a century-long battery life, manufacture it so cheaply that McDonald's would pack them in for free with Happy Meals, and find some way to sell games for the thing at 99 cents apiece while still turning a profit, and there'd still be somebody here starting a thread to find fault with it. :p

um.. sounds more like people are calling bullshit.. rather than doomed.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Dominant and monopoly are 2 very different things. Compare Sony's control of the console industry to Nintendo on the handheld industry. See that difference?

I never used the word monopoly. I said control.

Gunsmoke said:
If they release the PSP with a ton of ports . . . most people will have no incentive to buy.
Especially at such a rediculous price.

I for one have no incentive to buy movies on UMD which would essentially be ports of what I have at home on DVD.

If the content isn't all brand new . . . what is so specially about PSP from the rest of the crowd ?

Well it's not going to be all brand new, there will be ports just not direct ones. It'll be like you see with VJ on the PS2, it's not a direct port of the GC version. But there will be alot of original content too as the announced games for it have shown.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
No. Nintendo's just done a better job at maintaining their lead against competition so far (though to be fair, the competition hasn't been as heated recently either). Neither company has a complete monopoly though.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This means a few things probably.

1. You're going to see alot of content currently in the works for PSP get reworked to try to get around this.

2. I'm pretty sure there is going to be a longer delay than first announced now (and I'm expecting one in Japan too)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
"Okay guys, no direct ports. Thoughts from the floor?"

"Well, we could change the code so that it displays 'PSP' on the title page?"

"Sold!"

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gunsmoke said:
That's what I already said.
"they will add some original content to a port so it can go under no port radar detector"

Yes you did. And I said it again to reinforce my second point.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I saw allow ports, but have a requirement that if you use a port you must also make one original title.

jiggle

Simple solution for a Crash port. Let Coco and 2 more characters be controllable also. Have them race to the end for best time!

While I doubt this will be any success when porting is just easy money for just about anyone when it comes to a different platform industry. But eh, it seems like Sony is trying to have the PSP look more like a seperate entity than the PS console line. That it can live on it's own and not leech off recent PS2 titles. PLus they may not want to take away from PS2 game sales with exact copies. Oh, and there could be companies willing to port over something that may be $20 now, for the full PSP price discouraging customers who buy on impulse.

Anyways, I hope Sony actually manages to do this without reducing the number of titles for the system by much. I doubt they'll manage it, but eh, we'll see.

Mashing

Tellaerin said:

Take everything you just said and put Nintendo in it...

So tell me now... what the fuck else is new?

Top Bottom