• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTLance

While I certainly enjoyed Mama Robotniks gif, this comes to mind...
10dazr6.jpg

(not mine)

Jokeropia

BobsRevenge said:
For instance I'd say that No More Heroes would've sold better as a PS360 project.
Setting aside the fact that Grasshopper can not afford to make a PS360 game, NMH would've lost one of it's biggest selling points on a console other than Wii. Furthermore, it outsold all of the developer's previous games, including the PS2 releases.
DonDepre said:
How many third party big IPs are in the game industry? One hundred? Two hundreds? Silent Hill, Resident Evil, MGS, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc, etc, etc...

Two of them goes to the Wii: Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame. None of them specially big in west. All the others franchises goes to PS360, and not only this, almost all that franchises are not present in any way in Wii. Some others are present with spinoffs or casualized versions.
I'm pretty sure that Tenchu and Tales of are both among the top 200 third party IPs. Some of the biggest also go to all (like LEGO and GH) and some favor Wii (like Sonic). Pretty much all the examples you mentioned were also announced as PS3 or 360 projects before the generation began. (Even Monster Hunter 3 was, actually.)

Tobor

DonDepre said:
Yes.

How many third party big IPs are in the game industry? One hundred? Two hundreds? Silent Hill, Resident Evil, MGS, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc, etc, etc...

Two of them goes to the Wii: Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame. None of them specially big in west. All the others franchises goes to PS360, and not only this, almost all that franchises are not present in any way in Wii. Some others are present with spinoffs or casualized versions.

For a console that sells more than the other two combined, the lack of third party AAA support is incredible, and the proof that a lot of game companys don't consider the Wii even a console. Even the GC, with his low sells, got more third party IPs.

THIS CRAP HAS TO STOP.

The Wii is a video game console, and it is a direct competitor to the 360 and PS3. THIS IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE.

Pick up a retail circular, look at an NPD release, walk into a store. There is no debate about this, just butthurt fanboys.

Metalmurphy said:
People that never played a video game before are now playing with the Wii.

How exactly is that the same market?

So, by your brilliant logic, the PS2 cannot be considered a competitor with the GCN or the XBox, because, y'know, people that never played videogames before the PS2 played with PS2s.

Metalmurphy said:

People that had PS2s last gen are buying Wiis this gen.

How exactly is it not in the same market? Just because it's entered new markets doesn't mean it's not competing in the old ones too.

Gaborn

Metalmurphy said:

Because you're assuming all of the Wii's owners are either old line Nintendo fans or new gamers?

Psychotext said:
People that had PS2s last gen are buying Wiis this gen.

How exactly is it not in the same market? Just because it's entered new markets doesn't mean it's not competing in the old ones too.
Are MP3 players and DVD players fighting for the same market? Cause I have both you know.

Gaborn said:
Because you're assuming all of the Wii's owners are either old line Nintendo fans or new gamers?
They're mainly NOT the people that used to care about gaming yes. I think the fact that's selling like mad is proof enough of that.

Metalmurphy said:

So you're asserting that the Video game industry is a closed non-replenishing market?

Where do you think the 140 million Playstation owners came from? The Amiga?

I wonder if Singstar, Guitar Hero, Buzz etc attracted a new market to video game consoles?

I wonder if the Wii is capitalising on this new found market?

Metalmurphy said:
They're mainly NOT the people that used to care about gaming yes.
...and they're a HUGE portion of those 130m PS2 sales Sony announced the other day. Still not in the same market though I guess? Maybe Sony wont miss them.

Gaborn

Metalmurphy said:
They're mainly NOT the people that used to care about gaming yes. I think the fact that's selling like mad is proof enough of that.

And yet these non-gaming people are buying games at a faster clip than the PS3? I think you might need to re-examine your assumption a bit.

Gaborn said:
And yet these non-gaming people are buying games at a faster clip than the PS3? I think you might need to re-examine your assumption a bit.
What does that have to do with what I said?

Why even mention the PS3? oO I'm not one of those "Wii software doesn't sell" people, think you got me mistaken with someone else.

Psychotext said:
...and they're a HUGE portion of those 130m PS2 sales Sony announced the other day. Still not in the same market though I guess? Maybe Sony wont miss them.
Easy to say when you can't actually prove it.

Most of those 130m people are the ones that bought it for PES, FIFAs, Maddens, Need for Speeds and such, and that's all they care about. There's not just 1 type of casual gamers...

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Positive thinking is the first step to realizing your goals. I think its a very ambitious goal but If the SCE CEO doesnt think they can do it, then I wouldn't feel good about the future of the company.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
sionyboy said:
I wonder if Singstar, Guitar Hero, Buzz etc attracted a new market to video game consoles?

I wonder if the Wii is capitalising on this new found market?
Yes.

edit: Except the Wii is definitely expanding even further on that, especially in NA where Singstar and Buzz aren't popular.

Metalmurphy said:
Most of those 130m people are the ones that bought it for PES, FIFAs, Maddens, Need for Speeds and such, and that's all they care about. There's not just 1 type of casual gamers...
So you are admitting that there are gamers buying the Wii then? You know, in the gaming market rather than the fitness / waggle market.

Because PES, FIFA, Madden are all on the Wii too (not so sure about NFS... probably).

Gaborn

Metalmurphy said:
What does that have to do with what I said?

Why even mention the PS3? oO I'm not one of those "Wii software doesn't sell" people, think you got me mistaken with someone else.

I'm just trying to understand your point. You seem to think the majority of Wii's gamers are casuals who don't care about gaming usually, but you accept the (roughly) 4.5 game attach rate, which to my knowledge does NOT include Wii Sports. Do you have ANY idea what it would take a soccer mom or some other casual to buy and manage 4 or more games like that on average? Especially when you're asserting the PS3's audience (which is DEFINITELY not "casual" by any definition) which doesn't buy games at that attach rate (unusual especially given the lower hardward numbers making a higher attach rate easier) IS of the old guard of gamers.

Psychotext said:
So you are admitting that there are gamers buying the Wii then? You know, in the gaming market rather than the fitness / waggle market.

Because PES, FIFA, Madden are all on the Wii too (not so sure about NFS... probably).
And yet they probably sold less then the PS2 version... wonder why...

Yes, gamers are buying the Wii as well, obviously, not the same ones I mentioned though.

Gaborn said:
I'm just trying to understand your point. You seem to think the majority of Wii's gamers are casuals who don't care about gaming usually
who didn't care. Read my posts carefully ;)

Wii is bringing ALOT of new gamers, it's not just casual gamers. That's the main market Nintendo is aiming for, new people, and it's NOT the same one as the PS3/360 is going for.

BobsRevenge

Psychotext said:

I don't think sports games players 16 and up would opt for a Wii unless they get pressure from a wife or their kids or something because they can still get their games at a similar graphical fidelity on last generation's consoles. They'd most likely go for a 360 or PS3 depending on what other usage they are worried about.

BobsRevenge said:
I don't think sports games players 16 and up would opt for a Wii unless they get pressure from a wife or their kids or something
Bingo.

Exactly the reason most of the families I know own a Wii. It may be settling for something... but it's the best replacement for a PS2 a lot of henpecked husbands I know are going to get. :D

Gaborn

Metalmurphy said:
who didn't care. Read my posts carefully ;)

Interesting assertion, I'm not sure there's a heckuva lot of data to support you and I'd be really curious what the new gamer adoption rate was for each of the consoles.

CTLance

Nintendo competes with MS, Sony, and all 3rd party devs on every conceivable platform. That goes the other way around too. The PC can leech users off the console userbases, for example.

Us consumers only have limited amounts of both time and money at our hands, after all. All entertainment devices are competing for our attention and by extension our time and ultimately money.

Just let Valve release a new zmog awesometastic game, and it will be in direct competition with all then-current software offerings on all platforms. Someone who spends 50 bucks on that game will not be able to spend those 50 bucks on another game regardless of platform (Duh). He'll likely be busy with playing with his new purchase, diminishing the need for entertainment and thus the incentive to buy other games, regardless of platform or game type.

DonDepre

Banned
Tobor said:
The Wii is a video game console,

Ok.

Tobor said:
and it is a direct competitor to the 360 and PS3. THIS IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE.

Not Ok.

The Wii is not a direct competitor with the 360 or PS3.

Facts:
- Very few people, only the more hardcore players, have 360 AND PS3. But having 360 or PS3 and a Wii is very usual.
- A lot of people thinks that is impossible to keep in the generation only with Wii, without a 360 or PS3. But nobody thinks about if you can keep in the generation only with 360 or PS3, without a 360. There are a lot of threads in this forums about that.
- A lot of people that don't owned EVER a console, is buying the Wii. That target is very different of the typical target that buys 360 or PS3.
- The Wii is selling a lot. But 360 or PS3 has also relative good selling (better than XBOX or GC, for example). That shows that the overall home console market has increased severely from the last generation. That only is explained if a lot of people bought Wii AND a 360/PS3.

Yes, of course there is some indirect competition. There is also with portable consoles. But in a console, buying a 360 is, in almost all cases, don't buy a PS3 (except for GAF, that can't extrapolate in real world), and who buy a PS3 usually don't buy a 360. But a lot of them buys Wii.

Talk with shop people, and ask them about the target of 360 and PS3. They will say that is the nearly the same. Ask about the target of people that buy a Wii.

And you can negate it as much as you want, and using the "junior" to argue, but things are in that way.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DonDepre said:
The Wii is not a direct competitor with the 360 or PS3.
Too soon to tell, but it seems GTA4 is not going to sell as much as it used to. If so, people will wonder if Wii did not eat its sales among casual gamers, who have now moved to another platform.

DonDepre... the mistake you're making is thinking in terms of hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers didn't make up the majority of PS2 owners. You're probably absolutely right that in the hardcore market the Wii isn't in competition. But the gaming market as a whole is a completely different story.

DonDepre

Banned
I'm not saying, by the way, that ONLY casual players buy a Wii. I'm pretty hardcore and I owe one... but also a HD console.

It's very difficult to find a hardcore player that, right now, only have a Wii (yes, they are, it's not necessary that you rise your hands). And even that people thinks of buying a 360 or a PS3 sooner or later.

But, how many people are that owns a PS3 or a 360 and don't thing about buying the other one? A lot. Because they're direct competitor and, if you go for one, you probably don't need to have the other.

DonDepre

Banned
Psychotext said:
DonDepre... the mistake you're making is thinking in terms of hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers didn't make up the majority of PS2 owners. You're probably absolutely right that in the hardcore market the Wii isn't in competition. But the gaming market as a whole is a completely different story.

Yep, it's true. But casual gamers won't go to 360 (the most hardcore console ever, with a very few casual titles) or even PS3 (much expensive and with very few family oriented titles).

We have to diferenciate also the "casual" market. What is casual? The teenager that owned a PS2 and only play EA sports games? Or the 40y/o dads or moms that never bought a console but now buy the Wii because is a "non-dangerous" console for his kids?

In the previous generation, we've said the first one. But in this generation, "casual" meaning has changed for something that, in the previous generation it even was a significative market. So another proof that market has been expanded with Wii

I see what you're saying, but for all intents an purposes casual = PS2 owner with a few titles (such as Fifa, Madden etc) and new = Waggle crowd. The Wii owning the new gamers and competing for the casuals.

DonDepre

Banned
But, then, how's about the Fifa, Madden sells in Wii? Because a market of 40M, if it's formed by the "old casuals" (the ones that only plays GTA, sports game, and so), the sells of sport games in Wii should be incredible.

By the way, where is the damn WiiFit40YearsOldWomenCrowd.gif when you ask it? You think that a 360, a PS3, or even a PS2 with Buzz & Singstars share the same target?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Holy GOD.

The Wii and the PS3 are certainly in competition. Get a fucking grip on reality, people.

^^^^

This is why we'll always need you

dionysus

Yaldog
Guys. Settle down. 360 and ps3 also aren't in the same market. I mean one of them has convex triggers and the other concave! You have got to be mentally deficient to think that one steals sales from the other!

BobsRevenge

Segata Sanshiro said:
Holy GOD.

The Wii and the PS3 are certainly in competition. Get a fucking grip on reality, people.
Yeah, but those who say they are 100% in competition are severely mistaken.

Who's going to buy a Wii to play Blu-Ray movies? I'd say they are about 75% in competition... maybe. Hard to really put a number on it because with the Wii there are so many unknowns since it's unprecidented.

BobsRevenge said:
Yeah, but those who say they are 100% in competition are severely mistaken.

Who's going to buy a Wii to play Blu-Ray movies? I'd say they are about 75% in competition... maybe. Hard to really put a number on it because with the Wii there are so many unknowns since it's unprecidented.

And who's going to buy a GameCube to play DVDs?

Hypocrisy.

BobsRevenge

Miniboss1232 said:
And who's going to buy a GameCube to play DVDs?

Hypocrisy.
Explicitly state what is hypocritical about what I said because I can almost guarantee you're wrong.

DonDepre

Banned
hydragonwarrior said:
Wii and PS3 are not in competition because they do not display the same graphics and audiences are too different

...right?

1.- I never said that Wii and PS3 are not in competition. I said that they're not in DIRECT competition. Of course that if you buy a Wii, perhaps you won't have then the money for a PS3. But it's not like a 360, that you say, directly "I don't need a PS3 because I already have a 360, so I already can play 80% of the PS3 games".

2.- The graphics doesn't matter. Is the catalogue. There is a lot of people, a big target, and not only "hardcore one", that loves games like GTA, Resident Evil, DMC, Halo, Soul Calibur, Burnout, MGS... that titles don't go to Wii. So, if they want to play to that games, they'll buy a 360 or a PS3. You can skip one, two, four games that you really like but they aren't in your console. But, if there are a lot of games that you like, you'll end buying a HD console, even if you have a Wii.

Sadist

DonDepre said:
2.- The graphics doesn't matter. Is the catalogue. There is a lot of people, a big target, and not only "hardcore one", that loves games like GTA, Resident Evil, DMC, Halo, Soul Calibur, Burnout, MGS... that titles don't go to Wii. So, if they want to play to that games, they'll buy a 360 or a PS3. You can skip one, two, four games that you really like but they aren't in your console. But, if there are a lot of games that you like, you'll end buying a HD console, even if you have a Wii.
I didn't understand anything of what you just said.

Flakster99

Segata Sanshiro said:
Holy GOD.

Sadist said:
"Hardore" vs "Casual" debate again. Oh goody. >.>

Seriously.

I'm reminded of when the DS absolutely exploded in both hardware and software in December '05 in Japan, and throughout '06 these same retarded arguments came up then. Upmarket is a beautiful thing.

*looks at the calender, nope, it is not 2006*

Now that we have 5 viable world wide platforms + the mobile phone industry to get our game on, every single platform absolutely are in competition with one another for developer and publisher resources.

Sony has continued to blurr the lines of what is or is not a gaming machine with the PSP and now the PS3 with a multitude of non specific gaming (as in more than playing a video game) functions. Should we then say these two platforms are not gaming platforms and should not be counted as competition with the 360, the Wii and or the DS? It's retarded.

Every single platform absolutely are in competition with one another for developer and publisher resources.

DonDepre

Banned
Sadist said:
I didn't understand anything of what you just said.

I'm not the best writing in english, but basicly, nobody buy a console because of his shape or color. People buys a console for the games that can play in that console.

If the games of the catalogue of two consoles are similar, they're in DIRECT competition. If the games of the catalogue of two consoles are very different, they're in indirect competition. As simply as that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DonDepre said:
1.- I never said that Wii and PS3 are not in competition. I said that they're not in DIRECT competition. Of course that if you buy a Wii, perhaps you won't have then the money for a PS3. But it's not like a 360, that you say, directly "I don't need a PS3 because I already have a 360, so I already can play 80% of the PS3 games".

I agree with these.

There is room for a Wii + something in the market, from a game catalog and price Point of view. But it almost makes no sense to do PS3/360, since even exclusives are complemented by similar opposite exclusives on the other consoles.

Sure the Wii is taking money out of people's pockets that otherwise could go to an HD console, but an HD console is almost required as a natural progression past PS2. Especially looking at this long term and also game franchise and sequel paths. That said, people without a PS2, young people now, can easily go into a Wii as their first ever console, but those fall under the "new customers" group which apparently is not part of this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom