• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpman23

Sony would need to sell in excess of 1.7 million units a month or 15.3 million or more a year from here on out in order to hit that number within the next 9 years. At their current sales rate, this is highly unlikely to happen.

:lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jumpman23 said:
Sony would need to sell in excess of 1.7 million units a month or 15.3 million or more a year from here on out in order to hit that number within the next 9 years. At their current sales rate, this is highly unlikely to happen.

Maybe Sony will be price dropping the PS3 to $200 in November.

Yeah Right! :lol

As much as I want the PS3 to succeed, unless Sony can cut costs and pass it to the consumer, they can't hit that number by a LONG shot.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jumpman23 said:

Well, duh, of course not. The topic of discussion here is whenever or not they will be able to increase the sales rate to achieve that goal.

laserbeam

Banned
TTP said:
Well, duh, of course not. The topic of discussion here is whenever or not they will be able to increase the sales rate to achieve that goal.

Every month/year that goes by the sales rate has to increasingly get higher to keep up.

Gaborn

TTP said:

And, of course, what would cause them to need to do it. Think of it like this. Dropping the price would obviously increase sales, but it would be more difficult for Sony to turn a profit. Add to that to get any real benefit from dropping the price and increasing sales Sony has to increase production, something that is always expensive to do. Now, will both of these things happen? Sure, eventually, but maybe sometime next year, and certainly whatever production increase Sony sees it will NOT be more than 1 million a month it's just something that is out of their price range and even if they CAN do it it makes no sense for them to do it at first.

Brofist

OldJadedGamer said:
In Japan, the PS3 was not even $100 more then the PS2 was at launch and as of right now the PS3 is the same price as the PS2 was when it launched and sold 1.4 million units in it's first month at the same price the PS3 is right now.

PS2 was 38,000 yen, PS3 was 50,000 if you could find the semi rare 20GB..but for all intents it was 60,000 yen.

That's between a $110 and $210 price difference.

But this is splitting hairs anyway, it's obvious that the PS3 is nowhere as popular in Japan as the PS2.

And I was talking about US price earlier anyway.

Anasui Kishibe said:

Dragona Akehi said:
The doctor is a Speccy fanboy and you know it.

$1148 Jack said:
I see him as an Amstrad man myself.

I think we can all agree that at least he's a Gaffer.

docgaf.gif

(I'm sure there about three people here who get the reference)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mama Robotnik said:

docgaf.gif

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jett

D-Member
Mama Robotnik said:

docgaf.gif

...BWAAHAHAHAHA :lol

This gif set to one of the more poignant themes from The Dark Knight makes it even more awesome(these days I pretty much listen to that soundtrack nonstop :p)

Damodar

Mama Robotnik said:
docgaf.gif

NeoGallifrey.

And since this thread has 10 pages of many, many lulz, you can't help but think Kaz has SOMETHING up his sleeve. Or several things. Waggle comes to mind, I guess.

FightyF

Banned
Tobor said:
but the Wii is absolutely 100% competing with the 360 and the Wii. And it's crushing them both. People are buying Wii's to play video games on, same as the other two. You want to try and call me a noob now?

That's debatable. Not for this thread...but my point is that it's not as clear and dry as you put it.

Gaborn

FightyF said:
That's debatable. Not for this thread...but my point is that it's not as clear and dry as you put it.

Tell that to the developers who have to decide what console to put their AAA team on. Like, oh, I dunno, the monster hunter team?

Tmac

That will be hard but not impossible.

Eventually they will releae a "slim" version, while blu-ray/players will become a comodittie. In that scenario those numbers are possible.

Gaborn

Damodar said:
Yeah, but think of the epic movie you could make with that many costumers.

Indeed. We could do a giant reproduction of the Peloponnesian War, the American Civil War, the war of the Roses, the Hundred Years War, the Russo-Japanese War, the Boer War, AND the Crimean war simultaneously.

FightyF - Not a fan of japanese games? You... really don't follow sales that much do you?

BobsRevenge

Gaborn said:
Tell that to the developers who have to decide what console to put their AAA team on. Like, oh, I dunno, the monster hunter team?
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

So many more AAA games coming out for PS3 and 360 it's not even funny... because... you know... They actually sell better on it.

Gaborn

BobsRevenge said:

So many more AAA games coming out for PS3 and 360 it's not even funny... because... you know... They actually sell better on it.

Yeah, but how many of them were started in... say, mid 2007 once it was clear which way things were going?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mama Robotnik said:

docgaf.gif

Name of the show/movie?

BobsRevenge said:

Go tell that to Capcom :lol

BobsRevenge

Gaborn said:
Yeah, but how many of them were started in... say, mid 2007 once it was clear which way things were going?
There are games that would sell better on the Wii and games that would sell better on the PS360.

AAA games generally are games that would sell better on the PS360 because that's where it's audience is. Games like Wall-E (kid's games), Monster Hunter (jRPG games), Mario Galaxy (nintendo games), Wii Fit (casual games), and such would sell better on the Wii. Other than that I'd say PS360 sales would be at least equal and probably better. For instance I'd say that No More Heroes would've sold better as a PS360 project.

diss

Banned
Sure it's going to be hard as hell to get to 150 million but what do you expect him to say?

"PS2 numbers? Yeah not this time."
"We fucked up. PS4 2009 bitches!"

You always want to do better numbers than your last product, particularly in what should be a growing entertainment field. To admit your new product probably won't do as well as its last generation counterpart would end up with Kaz getting a new job looking out the window with Kutaragi. Or worse. Nobody likes a quitter.

That said, good fucking luck guys.

Pellham

Banned
this would only be possible if sony keeps releasing skus that are slight upgrades of the previous skus. by releasing enough new systems, they'll essentially be releasing bluray players.

but HD digital downloads will become the norm before PS3s can get anywhere close to that mark, so too bad so sad, sony.

Gaborn

BobsRevenge said:
There are games that would sell better on the Wii and games that would sell better on the PS360.

AAA games generally are games that would sell better on the PS360 because that's where it's audience is. Games like Wall-E (kid's games), Monster Hunter (jRPG games), Mario Galaxy (nintendo games), Wii Fit (casual games), and such would sell better on the Wii. Other than that I'd say PS360 sales would be at least equal and probably better. For instance I'd say that No More Heroes would've sold better as a PS360 project.

Wait... are you honestly, seriously, saying a jRPG can't be a AAA game? Wow. I mean.... wow. now THAT'S spin. I mean, yes, there are games that will sell better on the PS3/360 potentially, but fewer and fewer as time goes on. Their problem right now is to SELL they HAVE to be AAA on the PS3/360. That is, a mediocre PS3/360 game is going to bomb, or an A title for that matter will bomb. Not just the overhyped games like Lair though, but even legitimately solid games like Folklore or Eye of Judgement or Virtua Fighter 5, hardly anything beyond shooters and mega franchises are moving on the system.

laserbeam

Banned
diss said:
Sure it's going to be hard as hell to get to 150 million but what do you expect him to say?

"PS2 numbers? Yeah not this time."
"We fucked up. PS4 2009 bitches!"

You always want to do better numbers than your last product, particularly in what should be a growing entertainment field. To admit your new product probably won't do as well as its last generation counterpart would end up with Kaz getting a new job looking out the window with Kutaragi.

That said, good fucking luck guys.
Oh ken didnt get to look out the window.
kenps3.jpg

kpop100 said:
PS2 was 38,000 yen, PS3 was 50,000 if you could find the semi rare 20GB..but for all intents it was 60,000 yen.

That's between a $110 and $210 price difference.

But this is splitting hairs anyway, it's obvious that the PS3 is nowhere as popular in Japan as the PS2.

And I was talking about US price earlier anyway.

To be accurate, the PS3 launch price was 49,980 yen which is in today's US dollars $468. The PS2 launched at 39,800 yen which is in today's US dollars $373 for a difference of $95. The 20 gigs were very popular in Japan and was the top selling unit until it was retired a year later and replaced with the 40 gig.

Tobor

Tormentoso said:
Tell that to MS PR department,maybe they had Ken's 4D glasses on when they were saying that..:D

4D glasses aren't much of a costume. Costumers should wear at the very least a mask.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OldJadedGamer said:
To be accurate, the PS3 launch price was 49,980 yen which is in today's US dollars $468. The PS2 launched at 39,800 yen which is in today's US dollars $373 for a difference of $95. The 20 gigs were very popular in Japan and was the top selling unit until it was retired a year later and replaced with the 40 gig.
Funny thing I just came to think of... Living in Europe, I payed 1096 USD for my new PS3 at launch!

Redd

Mama Robotnik said:

albu

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nice one Mama Robotnik. Haven't laughed so much at a gif in a long time.

Hey, don't laugh too fast guys...

Remember back in like 2002-2003 where Nintendo proclaimed that they would sell like 100 million GCNs?

Well... Who's laughing now?

Seiken said:
Funny thing I just came to think of... Living in Europe, I payed 1096 USD for my new PS3 at launch!

I have no clue how you guys and the Aussie's do it. I don't think I would keep the hobby if it cost me that much.

Xeke

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:

Remember back in like 2002-2003 where Nintendo proclaimed that they would sell like 100 million GCNs?

...Nintendo?

gantz85

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
Its true.

This is the funniest self-ownage I've seen so far.. :lol

Hardware numbers have always been Sony's strongest point. However, I think that piracy had A LOT to do with it.. PS2 was easy target for piracy and being an Asian from Asia, I saw a ton of PS2s floating around with no real games attached to them. That should've dealt a massive blow to attach rate but it still held strong at ~15 ish? Pretty impressive. But anyway, for the regions of Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, China and more.. all of these nations have a ton of modded Playstation owners.

If PS3 games can be pirated, I really expect a significant boost in hardware sales, honest to god. I've gone to shops in Beijing run by Guangzhou people where they stock DOZENS of X360s in their modding queue.. and there are hundreds more in their RROD queue :lol Anyway, 360 is still a far more popular console in Beijing because of piracy. I don't think piracy will be enabled on PS3 anytime soon though..

Scalemail Ted said:

Hmmm.

Maybe Kaz knows something about the PS4 that we don't.

Scalemail Ted said:

No I don't remember that, enlighten me with a link please.

gantz85 said:
This is the funniest self-ownage I've seen so far.. :lol

Hardware numbers have always been Sony's strongest point. However, I think that piracy had A LOT to do with it.. PS2 was easy target for piracy and being an Asian from Asia, I saw a ton of PS2s floating around with no real games attached to them. That should've dealt a massive blow to attach rate but it still held strong at ~15 ish? Pretty impressive. But anyway, for the regions of Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, China and more.. all of these nations have a ton of modded Playstation owners.

If PS3 games can be pirated, I really expect a significant boost in hardware sales, honest to god. I've gone to shops in Beijing run by Guangzhou people where they stock DOZENS of X360s in their modding queue.. and there are hundreds more in their RROD queue :lol Anyway, 360 is still a far more popular console in Beijing because of piracy. I don't think piracy will be enabled on PS3 anytime soon though..

:confused.

I'm actually here to remind people that Hiroshi Yamauchi was right... and we all thought he was crazy in 2002. That son of a bitch did it!

edit: What if it happens again? Im not laughing at anybody this time around ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom