• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DonDepre said:
I think that Sony has fooled completly the other members of the BR consorcium. With all that bullshit of BR 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 versions, the BR reproducers of the other companies are getting old quickly. That makes the PS3 the best option for a BR player. You know that if you buy a Phillips BR player for $200, it will be old in two years, meanwhile PS3 can update to next versions.

So, I think Sony made the BR standar in a way that the PS3 takes the advantadge over the other BR players. Ey, and also play games! :p
This is actually a selling point that Best Buy and places use to push PS3s. Let's not forget that the PS3 is not only a blu-ray player but a complete home entertainment system!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kilrogg said:
Actually, yes, there are people who know how this will play out. At least, the big picture. These people are those who know things about business in general, the videogame industry in particular, and know the strategies used by the three manufacturers.

No one knows anything. We can only speculate.

Remember at the beginning of this generation how most "analysts" stated, as if as fact, that the Playstation 3 was going to dominate the competition and that the Wii would be a relatively short-lasting 'fad'? They are certainly wrong at this point...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Zefah said:
No one knows anything. We can only speculate.

Remember at the beginning of this generation how most "analysts" stated, as if as fact, that the Playstation 3 was going to dominate the competition and that the Wii would be a relatively short-lasting 'fad'? They are certainly wrong at this point...

DS too. Didn't that seem like the biggest mistake in 2005? EVERYONE was wrong on that one.

DonDepre

Banned
Well, I think that you're right. To get that 150M in 10 years, PS3 needs a japanese support that it don't have (and, with the "online FPS but not RPG for you" tactic of Sony, i doubt it will get that support).

"I'm sorry to tell you this, Mr. Hirai, but you've suffered a schizoid embolism. We can't snap you out of your fantasy and I've been sent in to try to talk you down."

Pachael

Look at Sony renaming all their Blu-Ray players 'Playstation'. Maybe then the Playstation family will win the hardware wars...

Frillen

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kaz: Send over that pot, or are you going to smoke it all by yourself?

Hunahan

Banned
DonDepre said:
I don't believe that PS3 had sold only 10 millions. The official numbers of the Finantial Results of Sony were 3.57 sold in finantial year 2006 and 9.24 sold in finantial year 2007.

That means that in march 1, 08, the total amount was 12.81. So I don't fount so strange a value of near 15M units. Yes, probably is shipped, not sold, but the PS2 numbers are with the same criteria, so the similitudes in the sells of PS2 & PS3 are clear.
Ok. Let's grant them that.

By March 1st, let's say that they were at 15million units.

That leaves 104 months until their 10 year deadline, and 135million units left to sell for this forecast to be accurate.

They need to sell 1,298,077 units per month, every month, for the next 104 months straight for this equation to work out.

They aren't off to a great start in that objective.

And I'm really not sure when they are expecting to be able to meet it, which will only make things more difficult, since the remainder aggregate continues to build, making the requirements for future months even higher.

jay

What's more amusing, that Kaz is paid to make up absurd claims or that there will always be people who believe any absurd claim he is paid to make up?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It could happen.

only the Doctor could make it happen

tennant_2.jpg

Brofist

Hunahan said:

That leaves 104 months until their 10 year deadline, and 135million units left to sell for this forecast to be accurate.

They need to sell 1,298,077 units per month, every month, for the next 104 months straight for this equation to work out.

And I'm really not sure when they are expecting to be able to meet it, which will only make things more difficult, since the remainder aggregate continues to build, making the requirements for future months even higher.

Well you can't really break it down that simply since most of the sales in a console's lifespan will come at the $199 or lower price. So obviously sales will be very back heavy. At this pace it will be another 4 years until the PS3 is that price, so either there will be a 10-15 year lifespan, or they are really banking on the non-gaming features to sell it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kpop100 said:
or they are really banking on the non-gaming features to sell it.

I'm pretty sure Life with PlayStation will be a system seller. I'm gonna buy a second PS3 and use it as a 24/7 news and weather forecast delivery system.

bdouble

DonDepre said:
I think that Sony has fooled completly the other members of the BR consorcium. With all that bullshit of BR 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 versions, the BR reproducers of the other companies are getting old quickly. That makes the PS3 the best option for a BR player. You know that if you buy a Phillips BR player for $200, it will be old in two years, meanwhile PS3 can update to next versions.

So, I think Sony made the BR standar in a way that the PS3 takes the advantadge over the other BR players. Ey, and also play games! :p

the PS3 is not the only BRD player that can update its firmware.

ampere

Kaz needs to shut his mouth, he makes Sony look bad :(
The PS3 will probably have high lifetime sales over the 10 year period, but 150m is an outrageous claim.

DonDepre

Banned
bdouble said:
the PS3 is not the only BRD player that can update its firmware.

Well, not. But the firmware improvements of PS3 aren't in the same league as the firmware updates of the normal BR, DVD, or DivX reproducers. Even if you don't play AT ALL, PS3 is still the best BR player, and it will be a growing machine.

You want DivX? You've got DivX.
You want movie buy-rental? You've got movie buy-rental.
You want videochat with your friends? You've got videochat with your friends.
You want HDD streaming? You've got HDD streaming
You want surf the web or search google? You've got web and google.
You want USB connection? Bluetooth connection? You've got USB & BT connection.
You want weather, news channels? You've got weather, news channels.

It's impossible that any BR reproducer can EVER reach the amount of features of the PS3, even for a non-player, and cheaper than the PS3. I don't remember any BR or DVD reproducer that, magicly, with a firmware update, is able to reproduce DivX, or any other of the features that i told. The firmware support in reproducers is, always, only for enhancing a little the existant features, or for fixing compatibility issues. In that way, PS3 is far better BR reproducer than PS2 a DVD reproducer.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hunahan said:

Mmmm, not saying they're GOING to hit that 150mil or anything, but it doesn't really work like that...

If you look at the Ps2's cycle, before it got real cheap, you'd see something like 200-400k sales per month from around Feb-September, then October -> January it would be anywhere from 600-700k to 1.5mil a month (And as far as I can tell, this is only US data).

So it's really faaaar to erratic to break it down to an even 1.3mil a month calculation.

FightyF

Banned
jay said:
What's more amusing, that Kaz is paid to make up absurd claims or that there will always be people who believe any absurd claim he is paid to make up?

If Kaz told us a year ago that the PS3 price would have dropped $100, none of us would have believed him.

I think that the PS3 can hit that target with an aggressive pricing plan. I KNOW there will be a day when the price is something that I, at one point, will find irresistible and I'll grab ANOTHER PS3 so it can be another BluRay machine at another HT setup I have. It's been so convenient having 2 360s, and I wouldn't mind doing the same with the PS3.

The question is how soon can that happen, and can it match the price drops that other BR players are seeing.

I'm in the middle of the road here...I'm not one of those laughing at Kaz's claim, and I'm not taking it as gospel either. I think it is possible if Sony can do some things, namely, keep up their 1st party output, and reduce the price by the nearly same factor they did last year, for the next few years. $100 price drop this year is too much to ask for, but $50 wouldn't hurt.

laserbeam

Banned
Kinitari said:
Mmmm, not saying they're GOING to hit that 150mil or anything, but it doesn't really work like that...

If you look at the Ps2's cycle, before it got real cheap, you'd see something like 200-400k sales per month from around Feb-September, then October -> January it would be anywhere from 600-700k to 1.5mil a month (And as far as I can tell, this is only US data).

So it's really faaaar to erratic to break it down to an even 1.3mil a month calculation.

The PS2 was already breaching the 30 million unit mark after 2 full years on the market. The PS3 is attempting to breach the 15 million unit mark. The PS2 was on fire from the day it launched.

FightyF said:
If Kaz told us a year ago that the PS3 price would have dropped $100, none of us would have believed him.

I think that the PS3 can hit that target with an aggressive pricing plan. I KNOW there will be a day when the price is something that I, at one point, will find irresistible and I'll grab ANOTHER PS3 so it can be another BluRay machine at another HT setup I have. It's been so convenient having 2 360s, and I wouldn't mind doing the same with the PS3.

The question is how soon can that happen, and can it match the price drops that other BR players are seeing.

I'm in the middle of the road here...I'm not one of those laughing at Kaz's claim, and I'm not taking it as gospel either. I think it is possible if Sony can do some things, namely, keep up their 1st party output, and reduce the price by the nearly same factor they did last year, for the next few years. $100 price drop this year is too much to ask for, but $50 wouldn't hurt.

1st party output etc means nothing though if people are like you. A 2nd PS3 for another tv for movie playback if anything is the last thing overall sony wants. Thats lost revenue potential from games and even movies.. Its the same way with the PS2 people toss around that 130 million number but how many of those are the people who bought another for its dvd playback,bought the slimline ps2 for a smaller one etc.

Units Sold isnt really that important its a penis size measuring contest. The software sold by people using those units is what counts. The Mega Hits on PS2 were lucky to hit the 5-10% of total console sales

DonDepre

Banned
laserbeam said:
The PS2 was already breaching the 30 million unit mark after 2 full years on the market. The PS3 is attempting to breach the 15 million unit mark.

PS3 is already in 15M. I think that they'll attempt to breach the 20M this holidays. But, yes, PS2 marks are impossible to reach if the sells don't change radically.

Brofist

laserbeam said:
The PS2 was already breaching the 30 million unit mark after 2 full years on the market. The PS3 is attempting to breach the 15 million unit mark.

And it was already $199 at this point in it's lifespan too. I don't think price can be stated enough.

Gaborn

Kinitari said:

You're right, it doesn't work like that, but even if PS3's sales started zooming up at a much faster rate Sony can't afford to increase production fast enough. Then again, they've repeatedly said (and indications are they mean it) they're NOT dropping the price again this year, and it wouldn't make sense at this point to start ramping up production either for next year when sales have been merely steady outside of this month.

I really think GAF doesn't seem to understand how expensive it is to scale production up, it's exponentially more expensive to do it and Sony's already lost an obscene amount on the PS3. Right now, for a GOOD long while it's about profitability for them.

Hunahan

Banned
kpop100 said:
Well you can't really break it down that simply since most of the sales in a console's lifespan will come at the $199 or lower price. So obviously sales will be very back heavy. At this pace it will be another 4 years until the PS3 is that price, so either there will be a 10-15 year lifespan, or they are really banking on the non-gaming features to sell it.
Of course not. There's also the factor that November/December period time sales always spike dramatically, etc.

I was just trying to offer some perspective. Whether they have sold 10 million or 15 million by this point doesn't really matter. The sales spike necessary to reach these cumulative figures is equally outlandish.

The problem with the $199 factor is that the longer they wait, the tougher that climb will be. But even if there was a price drop in April, and all "best case scenario" factors are granted, I really doubt that it would have made enough of a difference for these numbers to be viable.

Just to illustrate this:
If they have sold 15,000,000 in 20 months, they're averaging 750,000 units per month.

Now let's be extra-generous and assume that they retroactively increased those sales from April by 50% for the next two years solid (by, for example, price drop). So their average volume would be 1,125,000 per month from March 08 through December 09.

That would mean that they were starting to push ~810k per month on the off-season, and having something like 2.7m units each month for both Nov. and Dec. (Let's just ignore the reality of March-June numbers for now to illustrate).

They still need to average 1,767,857 units per month for the next 7 years to actually make this 150m figure within the alloted 10 year time frame.

So they need yet another 50% sales increase after December 09.

That would mean something like ~1,296k per month on the off-season, and having something like 4.3m units per month for Nov&Dec. for the next 7 years (2010-2017)

An easier way to digest this might be that they would need to increase their sales volume to over 235% of their current levels by March 09, and then sustain for what basically amounts to an entire standard console cycle, for this to actually be the case.

I understand that price drops lead to sales bumps.....but just how big of an increase are we legitimately expecting to see here? Over 235%?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but....well.....come on. It ain't happening.

Brofist

Hunahan said:
Of course not. There's also the factor that November/December period time sales always spike dramatically, etc.

I was just trying to offer some perspective. Whether they have sold 10 million or 15 million by this point doesn't really matter. The sales spike necessary to reach these cumulative figures is equally outlandish.

The problem with the $199 factor is that the longer they wait, the tougher that climb will be. But even if there was a price drop in April, and all "best case scenario" factors are granted, I really doubt that it would have made enough of a difference for these numbers to be viable.

Just to illustrate this:
If they have sold 15,000,000 in 20 months, they're averaging 750,000 units per month.

Now let's be extra-generous and assume that they retroactively increased those sales from April by 50% for the next two years solid (by, for example, price drop). So their average volume would be 1,125,000 per month from March 08 through December 09.

That would mean that they were starting to push ~810k per month on the off-season, and having something like 2.7m units each month for both Nov. and Dec. (Let's just ignore the reality of March-June numbers for now to illustrate).

They still need to average 1,767,857 units per month for the next 7 years to actually make this 150m figure within the alloted 10 year time frame.

So they need yet another 50% sales increase after December 09.

That would mean something like ~1,296k per month on the off-season, and having something like 4.3m units per month for Nov&Dec. for the next 7 years (2010-2017)

An easier way to digest this might be that they would need to increase their sales volume to over 235% of their current levels by March 09, and then sustain for what basically amounts to an entire standard console cycle, for this to actually be the case.

I understand that price drops lead to sales bumps.....but just how big of an increase are we legitimately expecting to see here? Over 235%?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but....well.....come on. It ain't happening.

Hey I'm not saying it's probable or even possible. I was just stating there are more variables than you had presented earlier. And I still think you understate the effect of a price drop, although I do agree (and I even mentioned earlier) that I don't think the price will drop that fast.

Tobor

llTll said:
you have been playing a gaming system :lol

honestly, Wii is nice system. i like it. but its not fair to compare it to higher end systems like PS3 and 360. you cant compare the Wii sales to PS3/360 just like how you dont compare PSP/DS sales to PS3/360.

Wii might be your fav system. and its all fine.

but if i ever was a nintendo fanboy, i cant come here and say " oh but my loved nintendo Wii console is kicking ur PS3/360 ass. "

do you understand the point i am trying to make?

I'm way late, but this is some high order of magnitude bullllllshit right here.

I know you're having trouble getting some logic and reason mixed in with your random thoughts, but the Wii is absolutely 100% competing with the 360 and the Wii. And it's crushing them both. People are buying Wii's to play video games on, same as the other two. You want to try and call me a noob now?

laserbeam

Banned
kpop100 said:
Hey I'm not saying it's probable or even possible. I was just stating there are more variables than you had presented earlier. And I still think you understate the effect of a price drop, although I do agree (and I even mentioned earlier) that I don't think the price will drop that fast.

I think people really under estimate Sony HQ's anger at profit loss and their desire to be profitable. SCEA already stated they fought to keep BC etc in but Japan said fuck that we want profit.

I think Homebase Sony is taking a more Nintendo approach this gen and is more worried about money then installbase while the SCE branch of Sony is still touting installbase

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
:lol at people defending such a stupid claim.

Unless Sony start giving PS3s for free, I don't see any possible way of this happening. And he said this a week after loosing their biggest exclusive :lol .

Awesome.

DonDepre

Banned
Tobor said:
I'm way late, but this is some high order of magnitude bullllllshit right here.

I know you're having trouble getting some logic and reason mixed in with your random thoughts, but the Wii is absolutely 100% competing with the 360 and the Wii. And it's crushing them both. People are buying Wii's to play video games on, same as the other two. You want to try and call me a noob now?

I'm not completly sure about this.

I mean, all that Wiis used in gymns, in geryatrics or rehab, are counted as videogames consoles sold, even if the use is more "therapeutic" than gaming. It happens the same with the DS. DS sells a lot, everywhere. But if it's used only as a cooking manager, it's a videogame console?

With Wii don't happen too much, but with DS, i've seen some documentals about how wives are using the Ds, in japan, as cooking manager (months ago the cooking for everyone cames to west), face trainer, and similar things.

Yep, it's basicly a portable console, but, it's not getting, in some cases, more similar to an iPhone?

In the other way, PS3 should be examined, also, if the sells are from people that buy it as a console or simply as a BD player.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
DonDepre said:

I mean, all that Wiis used in gymns, in geryatrics or rehab, are counted as videogames consoles sold, even if the use is more "therapeutic" than gaming. It happens the same with the DS. DS sells a lot, everywhere. But if it's used only as a cooking manager, it's a videogame console?

With Wii don't happen too much, but with DS, i've seen some documentals about how wives are using the Ds, in japan, as cooking manager (months ago the cooking for everyone cames to west), face trainer, and similar things.

Yep, it's basicly a portable console, but, it's not getting, in some cases, more similar to an iPhone?

In the other way, PS3 should be examined, also, if the sells are from people that buy it as a console or simply as a BD player.

what??... oh.. junior...

DonDepre

Banned
manueldelalas said:
what??... oh.. junior...

Well, that junior thing is a matter of time...

What I'm asking is... if iPhone gets a powerfull gaming machine, their sells will have to be considered in the same way as DS-PSP?

Where is the limit of a "gaming console only" or a "electronic device that also play games"?

Tobor

DonDepre said:

Your post parses to nothing. There is literally nothing for me to even comment on here. that's impressive.

DonDepre said:

What I'm asking is... if iPhone gets a powerfull gaming machine, their sells will have to be considered in the same way as DS-PSP?

Where is the limit of a "gaming console only" or a "electronic device that also play games"?

OK, you're just screwing with us. It's the only answer.

EDIT: Juices explanation makes sense, but you're still trailing off my original point.

DonDepre

Banned
yoopoo said:
Don't forget the biggest non-gaming device around, the PSP.

I'm still wonder about what the heck are doing the japanese with all that PSP, if they don't buy games (and I think that piracy is not usual in Japan).

Juice

DonDepre said:

The point you're tickling is actually relevant. iPhone is a good example of a gaming system that may well sell more game software than the PSP, even though it likely won't be tracked (or trackable).

The logic holds for the PSP in Japan--why they even bother tracking it--first when Sony went out of their way to play up its non-gaming features and then when everyone in Japan who owned it didn't use it for games.

kpop100 said:
And it was already $199 at this point in it's lifespan too. I don't think price can be stated enough.

In Japan, the PS3 was not even $100 more then the PS2 was at launch and as of right now the PS3 is the same price as the PS2 was when it launched and sold 1.4 million units in it's first month at the same price the PS3 is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom