• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
so basically, PS3 down to 200, blu rays down to 15= success

in 35 years probably, which would be the amount of time Sony will need to break even at those prices

not even counting that if PS3 gets to 200 and -like I said- Wii takes the blow, Wii will be 199 or released in different colors and the Sony will need to sell the PS3 for 100 and a whore

Cruceh

Banned
llTll said:
oh hey. a smart ass reply. hooray .

dude. tell you what i will make you feel better so you can sleep better tonight.

i will let you have the last reply. i wont quote you again. its useless.
:lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
P90 said:
And BluRay movies come way down in price, there is a small, very small chance Sony will meet its goal.

Ugh... I bought a PS3 primarily for Blu-Ray at the time. One of my uncles bought a PS3 this year 100% for Blu-Ray. He hasn't played games in 25 years and doesn't plan to. That said, this year is the last year that anyone with anything resembling a brain in their head will buy a PS3 just for Blu-Ray. Wal-Mart already has profile 2.0 Blu-Ray players for $75 less than PS3, ($50 less + come with a remote instead of it costing $25 extra) they just haven't stocked them in large numbers. Next year, PS3 sales primarily related to Blu-Ray will be just a footnote.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
omg rite said:
:lol :lol

You don't ACTUALLY believe this is possible, do you?

It is possible, just incredibly unlikely. As a prediction it holds no water, speaking of which this reminds me of Nintendo's sales projections for the Gamecube.

They wanted it to sell 50 million by the end of 2005, and ended up selling 21 million. So I'm gonna go and say Sony will sell 63 million PS3s, which in itself is kind of unlikely.

Gaborn

ascii42 said:
This is why we are lucky that companies are not as shortsighted as we are. Otherwise they would not be so kind with pricing. Sony looks at the PS3 as a 10 year long investment. It can't be considered a failure until it has completed.

That only works up to a point. There is a very good reason that a company makes forecasts, and for all of 2007 they kept revising them downward (I'm honestly not as sure either way about 2008's predictions). Remember 6 million sold by march 2007? Really there are several measures by which you can say if a console is successful or not. Ideally you hope your console is doing as well or better than it's predecessor, which the PS3 is not. You hope it's the best selling console or at least 2nd best. It's not. You hope it's profitable, it's not. You hope it meets the expectations you set for it. It didn't it's first year on the market.

At the same time Sony can and is rationally taking steps to make it a success for the company, one way is foregoing a price drop in favor of profitability. Another is issuing more conservative forecasts to not unreasonably raise expectations. But to say the PS3 ISN'T a failure because the generation isn't over... I mean, are you honestly telling me you didn't see the Gamecube as a failure by 2003?

after all is said and none., PS3 will have sold 36 millions, anno domini 2012. Kaz Hirai will be cremated using a overheating PS3 and his ashes will help to create the new chip for the PS4, called "STFU"

ascii42

Gaborn said:
That only works up to a point. There is a very good reason that a company makes forecasts, and for all of 2007 they kept revising them downward (I'm honestly not as sure either way about 2008's predictions). Remember 6 million sold by march 2007? Really there are several measures by which you can say if a console is successful or not. Ideally you hope your console is doing as well or better than it's predecessor, which the PS3 is not. You hope it's the best selling console or at least 2nd best. It's not. You hope it's profitable, it's not. You hope it meets the expectations you set for it. It didn't it's first year on the market.

At the same time Sony can and is rationally taking steps to make it a success for the company, one way is foregoing a price drop in favor of profitability. Another is issuing more conservative forecasts to not unreasonably raise expectations. But to say the PS3 ISN'T a failure because the generation isn't over... I mean, are you honestly telling me you didn't see the Gamecube as a failure by 2003?
Nintendo made a profit on the GameCube, I believe. Therefore, from the company's standpoint, it wasn't a complete failure.
I didn't get a GameCube until Christmas 2003, and was still under the impression that a second Mario game was coming out. I knew it wasn't doing anywhere near as well as PS2, but I don't think I had thoughts as severe as "failure" in my head.

Gaborn

ascii42 said:
Nintendo made a profit on the GameCube, I believe. Therefore, from the company's standpoint, it wasn't a complete failure.
I didn't get a GameCube until Christmas 2003, and was still under the impression that a second Mario game was coming out. I knew it wasn't doing anywhere near as well as PS2, but I don't think I had thoughts as severe as "failure" in my head.

True, the GameCube was an imperfect example because Nintendo actually made more money with it than with any other console it ever made (until now). However, the point is that by any rational measure (and there are a BUNCH of measures we can use to measure a console's success up to this point) the PS3 is a failure for Sony so far, that doesn't mean they can't turn it around but... in what sense can you today say Sony has met any of their goals?

ascii42

Gaborn said:
True, the GameCube was an imperfect example because Nintendo actually made more money with it than with any other console it ever made (until now). However, the point is that by any rational measure (and there are a BUNCH of measures we can use to measure a console's success up to this point) the PS3 is a failure for Sony so far, that doesn't mean they can't turn it around but... in what sense can you today say Sony has met any of their goals?
Besides winning the HD movie format war, none. The point I was trying to make is that overall success is a long term goal. Short term doesn't mean much.

Edit. And was the GameCube really that profitable for Nintendo?

Gaborn

ascii42 said:
Besides winning the HD movie format war, none. The point I was trying to make is that overall success is a long term goal. Short term doesn't mean much.

Fair enough, although I will say it can set a trend and build up mindshare in consumers.

Edit. And was the GameCube really that profitable for Nintendo?

You know, I remember reading that it was but I'm having trouble finding numbers to confirm or deny it.

I still can't believe that so many people believe that the PS3 can last 10 years LOL.

The PS3 has nowhere near the developer support and huge userbase that the PS2 garnered. A 10 year lifespan for it is a pipedream.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Maxwell House said:
A 10 year lifespan for it is a pipedream.

Actually, I don't doubt that part. Vegetables can last a long time on life-support if their families don't pull the plug.
The numbers are the funny part.

ascii42

Gaborn said:
Fair enough, although I will say it can set a trend and build up mindshare in consumers.
That is certainly true.

Gaborn said:
You know, I remember reading that it was but I'm having trouble finding numbers to confirm or deny it.
Yeah, I think I've heard it as well, but I've only seen Nintendo's overall profit during the GameCube's lifespan, which would overlook the GBC, the GBA, and the DS, all of which were out and selling quite well at some point during the GameCube's lifespan.

nib95

Banned
Good luck with that one Sony! I suspect it will do better and last longer than some predict, but not to near the extent Sony have set for themselves.

Philthy

camineet said:
PS3 won't reach beyond 60 or 70 million before Sony is forced to introduce PS4.

I don't even think they'll get that far. 50m would be pushing it. Hell, we're past the halfway mark of this generation already. They better be well on their way with the PS4 as it is, we all know Microsoft has their next system all lined up and under strong development already. If they really wanted to move units, they would have cut off all PS2 development and forced them to release on the PS3.

DonDepre

Banned
My first impression was going lawls.

But, then, I went to a "banned chart site" and i saw that the number of PS3 sold from launch is similar (less than 500k of difference) of the PS2 numbers with the same amounth of months *

So, If they aim to a 10 years spawnlife, it's duable.

*yes, i know that we don't have to believe the numbers of that site** but, as they change retroactively the information when they got more information, the numbers of PS2 sells are quite exact. And the current PS3 sold is more or less the same (with differences of less than 1M in different sources).

**if simply mentioning that site is bannable, please, told me about it. I'll delete inmediatly the post.

laserbeam

Banned
DonDepre said:
My first impression was going lawls.

But, then, I went to a "banned chart site" and i saw that the number of PS3 sold from launch is similar (less than 500k of difference) of the PS2 numbers with the same amounth of months *

So, If they aim to a 10 years spawnlife, it's duable.

*yes, i know that we don't have to believe the numbers of that site** but, as they change retroactively the information when they got more information, the numbers of PS2 sells are quite exact. And the current PS3 sold is more or less the same (with differences of less than 1M in different sources).

**if simply mentioning that site is bannable, please, told me about it. I'll delete inmediatly the post.

PS2 numbers are a little tricky. It was not a worldwide launch like the PS3.

laserbeam said:
PS3 didn't have a worldwide launch.

150m target is as :lol worthy as some of the other predictions going on in this thread :lol

mm04

Unless the market drastically increases in size, none of the 3 consoles in this generation will reach that milestone. This is the first time (ever?) that you have 3 competitive consoles in production. The Wii is definitely sitting pretty, but it's highly unlikely you're going to have the same disparity in sales between consoles as last generation. I think all 3 consoles will go over 50 million units at the very least.

DonDepre said:
I know the chart you're talking about... it's broken (insert conspiracy here). Look at the numbers that make up the total (US, Japan, Other). It's off by something like 10m units overall.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mm04 said:
Unless the market drastically increases in size, none of the 3 consoles in this generation will reach that milestone. This is the first time (ever?) that you have 3 competitive consoles in production. The Wii is definitely sitting pretty, but it's highly unlikely you're going to have the same disparity in sales between consoles as last generation. I think all 3 consoles will go over 50 million units at the very least.

Why couldn't the Wii reach such milestone?

Truespeed

If you take String Theory into account and the existence of parallel universes than Sony may have already met these numbers.

Banned
150 Million PS3 Harware units sold? I would bet my cock, my house and my wife that will not happen. So fucking funny. :lol :lol :lol

Hunter D

Anyone that thinks the PS3 or 360 has a chance of selling more than 65mill or smoking. The 360 and PS3 will probably both be on the "no one cares" list and the next sony and ms consoles will be in full swing. 360 has been around for nearly 3 years and will probably only be around for another 3. PS3 is a failure in comparison to the PS1, PS2, and PSP. Sony won't make the same mistake again, they will try to launch with MS at a competitive price.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
laserbeam said:
PS3 a worldwide launch?

Tell that to all the Europeans that had to wait 6 months!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Kilrogg said:

You did not get the memo the Wii is a fad and very soon those Wii owners will be buying PS3s for bluray? Must of got lost in the mail I take it.

150 million LMAO Sony execs got to love them they make this place great with these silly quotes.

Kilrogg said:
He doesn't want it to.

His spin is not unlike the mainstream media's when saying an 8 point lead for Obama is good for McCain.

Out of all consoles this generation, the only console on it's way to outpacing the PS2 in all markets is the Wii. The 360 and PS3 will be lucky to hit 80 million units combined. I'd say a good bit less.

Hunter D said:
Anyone that thinks the PS3 or 360 has a chance of selling more than 65mill or smoking. The 360 and PS3 will probably both be on the "no one cares" list and the next sony and ms consoles will be in full swing. 360 has been around for nearly 3 years and will probably only be around for another 3. PS3 is a failure in comparison to the PS1, PS2, and PSP. Sony won't make the same mistake again, they will try to launch with MS at a competitive price.

Some posters on GAF really don't have a clue. GAF is filled with arm chair analysts that simply follow the status quo. "buuuuuutt the PS2 is doing great, Wii is doomed"....... "buuuuut Wii is doing great, PS360 are doomed....TIME for them to release another console to start some arbitrary "race" for another arbitrary "generation" so they can only still have slower sales than the Wii because now they are not recouping the benefits of a smaller price point".

What a bunch of knee jerk reactions.

DonDepre

Banned
I don't believe that PS3 had sold only 10 millions. The official numbers of the Finantial Results of Sony were 3.57 sold in finantial year 2006 and 9.24 sold in finantial year 2007.

That means that in march 1, 08, the total amount was 12.81. So I don't fount so strange a value of near 15M units. Yes, probably is shipped, not sold, but the PS2 numbers are with the same criteria, so the similitudes in the sells of PS2 & PS3 are clear.

Private Hoffman said:
Some posters on GAF really don't have a clue. GAF is filled with arm chair analysts that simply follow the status quo.
In the last couple of years the GAF armchair analysts have been doing better than the paid ones. :lol

laserbeam

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
PS3 a worldwide launch?

Tell that to all the Europeans that had to wait 6 months!

Im referring to the fact that the launch window for the PS2 is stretched very much by the fact All regions were spread out. The PS3 at least launced in 2/3 in same wek. The PS2 was also undergoing insanely understocked periods of time. Stocks never been an issue for the PS3

Private Hoffman said:

Some posters on GAF really don't have a clue. GAF is filled with arm chair analysts that simply follow the status quo.

What is he saying that's not true?

I'd place my bets that neither the 360 nor PS3 will surpass 40 million units before their successors are launched.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Wht are the chances PS3 hits 10 million US by the end of this fiscal year in March 09? Its just under 5 now.

Gaborn

The problem for the PS3 is similar to the reason the PS2 had success. The PS2 had something like a 2 year head start on either the Gamecube or the Xbox. The PS3 has to contend with extremely strong competition from the 360 as well as the Wii. Where the PS2 could take it's time to get established and have a massive userbase the PS3 doesn't have that luxury and either way it's competitors are a lot stronger than the PS2's were, which ultimately eats into Sony's potential market share.

Holy hell, there are people who actually believe this is possible?There's not enough :lol in the world.

The PS3 will be lucky to survive 6 years much less 9. Only winning systems survive beyond their generation. Only winning systems enjoy a major "golden age" with price cuts, losing systems simply stave off extinction with price cuts. The PS2 benefited with it's 9 years by launching almost a year and half early and by as mentioned Sony's desperate need to keep it alive until something can be done about the money black hole the PS3 is. The PS3 launched a year late and the PS4 will likely be far better designed profit wise from the outset.

Simply put, the PS3 is not the PS2, it will not survive 10 years, it will not see any major sustained increase in sales, it will not hit 60 million much less 150 million. Reality sucks, get over it.

Thunder Monkey said:
What is he saying that's not true?

I'd place my bets that neither the 360 nor PS3 will surpass 40 million units before their successors are launched.

And you'd be wrong, of course.

Interesting that neither the 360 or PS3 are even at prices of where the PS2/Xbox1 launched at, yet we're to believe that they're just going to pack their bags for the "next generation" only to release at a higher cost? What kind of planet do you live on?

The fact that there's been such a large increase in cost will only mean an extended lifecycle for the consoles. Since we haven't even hit 299 and below, where most of the sales will eventually come from, it's absurd to claim that neither the 360 or PS3 will surpass 40 million units. 360 will have the biggest difficulty due to a potentially saturated market in the US while the PS3 still can do well in all three primary regions.

Hunter D

Private Hoffman said:

Some posters on GAF really don't have a clue. GAF is filled with arm chair analysts that simply follow the status quo. "buuuuuutt the PS2 is doing great, Wii is doomed"....... "buuuuut Wii is doing great, PS360 are doomed....TIME for them to release another console to start some arbitrary "race" for another arbitrary "generation" so they can only still have slower sales than the Wii because now they are not recouping the benefits of a smaller price point".

Are you not seeing the wii have record sales in the npd threads meanwhile the 360 and PS3 range from mediocre to slightly above average? It would take more than price drops to get either system over 80mill. Wii looks like the system that will take most of the market share this gen so it will be almost impossible of the PS3 or 360 to sell 60mill+.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
PS2 was release Oct of 2000, the Xbox and GC came out November of 2001 so it only had a 1 year head start.

DonDepre

Banned
mm04 said:

Wii is not compiting directly with PS360. Wii is getting the place of "second console". The one that you have in the living room, for family or parties, but you still keep the PS360 in your gaming room.

I think that Wii will reach the milestone of 140M easily. The problem is that, when that happens (3-4 years), the consensum will be that the Wii is more a electronic family toy than a console.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
truly101 said:
PS2 was release Oct of 2000, the Xbox and GC came out November of 2001 so it only had a 1 year head start.

it sold 80 million in one year, dont you remember????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom