• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Settles with Kevin Butler: no gaming relatd ads for 2 years

"... although the Kevin Butler character remains the property of Sony and Lambert is barred from playing the character without Sony’s permission.”

... This is just ridiculous and doesn't make any sense. Kevin Butler wasn't used. Lambert =/= Butler. Ugh.

canedaddy

Those were some of Sony's best ads, great stuff, but they had run their course before the legal brouhaha. Too bad it ended so badly.

It's just really a shame not only due to the character and likability that was built up, but seeing the big E3 showing from him communicating with big SCEA execs, playing buddy-buddy...to the giant Kevin Butler banners at E3 covering...to acting with Jack Tretton on the Modnation featurette/commercial. To see it all end like this, so negatively, is a shame.

The biggest shame though is that they didn't get Kevin Butler PSN Avatars out while the opportunity was there.

Agent X

Everyone with any taste loved the commercials. I'm sad to see there's never a chance of them returning. Would have been perfect marketing for the PS4.

Are you sure there isn't a chance of the commercials returning? Reading the article makes it seems like the two-year ban only applies to commercials for competing video game systems. Sony could bring Lambert back in the Kevin Butler role if they wanted to, at any time.

Everyone with any taste loved the commercials. I'm sad to see there's never a chance of them returning. Would have been perfect marketing for the PS4.

Also, his epic E3 speech was just awesome.

Everyone who already loved Sony loved the commercials. I liked them for the first few, but they were annoying by the end. Also, Sony the kings of wasteful lawsuits.

vg260

Sony was the best thing to ever happen to his career. Having a company build their entire marketing strategy around you for years is about the single greatest thing that can happen to a commercial actor.

Yes, pretty much.

This is not as bad for him as people make it out to be all things considered. Coulda been worse.

Takuan

Even though it was his fault, I can't help but feel bad for the guy. That probably put a significant dent in his bottom line.

Guess I have to put up with more awful PlayStation commercials for the next little while.

Takao

Banned
... This is just ridiculous and doesn't make any sense. Kevin Butler wasn't used. Lambert =/= Butler. Ugh.

Things like the OP's title are exactly why Sony sued Jerry Lambert. We were jokingly associating Lambert with Butler in the Game On ad, but lawyers don't have a sense of humor. : /

shira

5a2a8_psn-down-all-the-stories-in-one-place-20110426085932095.jpg

Haha unrelated, but saw this for PSN maintenance.

Seda

So he's still allowed to be on Sony ads if Sony wanted him to? (not that I think they do) Just can't do it for any other video game company. Seems reasonable. He could still do tires or whatever, just as long as there no video game promotion.

Top Bottom