• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Slots ‘Silver and Black’ for Feb. 2019, ‘Sicario’ Sequel for June 2018

Link.

Sony has set its “Spider-Man” spin-off “Silver and Black” for Feb. 8, 2019.

Gina Prince-Bythewood is directing and will also rewrite the script penned by “Thor: Ragnarok” scribe Chris Yost. A previous draft was written by “Westworld” co-creator Lisa Joy. Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal are producing the project.

In the comic books, Silver Sable is a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals. Black Cat is burglar named Felicia Hardy, who briefly appeared in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” played by Felicity Jones. While both characters exist in Marvel’s Spider-Man universe, Prince-Bythewood’s film will not be a crossover with the web-slinger.

After acquiring the “Sicario” sequel “Soldado” from Lionsgate, Sony has now dated the pic for June 29, 2018.

Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin are set to return with Stefano Sollima taking over as director. The first pic was helmed by Denis Villeneuve.

The sequel will continue to center on the escalating war against drugs along the border of the United States and Mexico.

Black Label Media is producing.

Sony also announced that the Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly pic “Holmes & Watson” has moved from Aug. 3, 2018 to Nov. 9, 2018. The next installment of “Bad Boys”, “Bad Boys For Life” has been taken off the calendar

This means Sony has Venom(Oct 2018), Animated Spider-Man(Dec 2018), Silver and Black(Feb 2019) and Homecoming 2(July 2019). That's a ton of Spidey movies in just 9 months.

Oh, Chris Yost wrote a draft for Silver and Black? Interesting.
I think this could end up being a surprisingly decent film despite, you know, Sony. Kinda like a modern version of Blade, which comic fans barely even knew before the movie. Anyway, DC better hurry up with Sirens and Catwoman.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't understand why they chose Silver Sable and Black Cat. Why not Jessica Drew or Spider-Gwen?

EDIT: Not that I'm shitting on the movie, it has a decent writer and the director should bring a WoC perspective to the genre.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I really like Black Cat, but I can't say I'm excited for Silver and Black. This is Sony Pictures we're talking about.

I don't know, I always thought Silver Sable had a ton of potential and was criminally underutilized so I don't mind the push. Never cared about Black Cat though.

Alo0oy

Banned
"We need to spin-off popular Spider-Man characters to create new viable franchises. Who have we got?"
"Uh...uh...Silver Sable? And Black Cat?"
"GET ON IT!"

The problem is that the Spidey-verse has a lot of characters they can use, but they went straight to the bottom of the barrel.

Silver Sable and Black Cat movies can work, but they need to be introduced in a proper Spider-Man movie first.

I don't understand why they chose Silver Sable and Black Cat. Why not Jessica Drew or Spider-Gwen?

EDIT: Not that I'm shitting on the movie, it has a decent writer and the director should bring a WoC perspective to the genre.
It was leaked a few years ago that Spider-Man has to be male in the movies so I guess that eliminates those two. And that leaves them with few other female heroes to use so Silver Sable and Black Cat is.

Alo0oy

Banned
It was leaked a few years ago that Spider-Man has to be male in the movies so I guess that eliminates those two. And that leaves them with few other female heroes to use so Silver Sable and Black Cat is.

I'm not sure that's true, I remember Sony wanting to do a Spider-Gwen movie during the ASM days.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Glad they just moved Bad Boys 3 off the table. Saying it was coming out next year was just silly.

Not sure if I'm feeling a summer release date for the Sicario sequel. We'll see if people are in the mood for something like that between popcorn munchers.

HariKari

Ah man Siacrio sequal without Dennis, this could be a bad sign.

Same writer, director is more than capable, guy replacing Deakins did The Martian/Prometheus/Dark City/The Crow. Should be solid. Composer replacing Johan also looks good.

Supposed to be a lot darker than Sicario, so it will be interesting how that goes.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The problem is that the Spidey-verse has a lot of characters they can use, but they went straight to the bottom of the barrel.

Silver Sable and Black Cat movies can work, but they need to be introduced in a proper Spider-Man movie first.

They probably can't use them, though...because they need to keep them in reserve for the ongoing Spider-Man film franchise, especially now that Marvel Studios and Sony are going to have to rely on utilizing lesser-known Spider-Man characters that haven't already been done to death in the preceding five Spider-Man films.

I wouldn't really say Black Cat and Silver Sable are "bottom of the barrel" either. They're interesting, fairly popular characters in their own right...most especially in relation to all the other characters Sony is willing to spin-off into their own separate universes. The problem is I don't think Sony has the capacity to do their spin-off film justice.

While the Venom flick sounds like a mess, I'm cautiously optimistic about 'Silver & Black'. Gina Prince-Bythewood has made some good films, most notably, Beyond The Lights. Plus, I'm not really here to poo-poo the first comic book film directed by a woman of color, sight unseen.

Blader

Curious about Soldado. I'm not familiar with Stefano Sollima's work, but his father was a great and really underrated director (The Big Gundown and Face to Face are two of the best spaghetti westerns, and Revolver is the best Italian crime flick I've seen) so hopefully there's some of that in his genes.

VeeP

I refuse to watch the Spider-Man universe films. If they do well, I feel like there's more of a chance for Sony to not continue their Marvel deal. Fuck that. You fucked up on the last 3 Spider-Men movies Sony.

diaspora

To be fair, this didn't stop Superior Foes from being absolutely brilliant.

Sicario without Villanueve direction is a no unless they comple5ely surprise me. To be fair Villanueve was not a big name when doing that movie.

Alo0oy

Banned
They probably can't use them, though...because they need to keep them in reserve for the ongoing Spider-Man film franchise, especially now that Marvel Studios and Sony are going to have to rely on utilizing lesser-known Spider-Man characters that haven't already been done to death in the preceding five Spider-Man films.

I wouldn't really say Black Cat and Silver Sable are "bottom of the barrel" either. They're interesting, fairly popular characters in their own right...most especially in relation to all the other characters Sony is willing to spin-off into their own separate universes. The problem is I don't think Sony has the capacity to do their spin-off film justice.

But Black Cat and Silver Sable are the type of characters you keep for future SM movies, a character like Jessica Drew will nevet be in the MCU, and neither will Spider-Gwen. Wraith can carry her own movie with heavy re-writes, and Silk can work too.

Felicia Hardy works best with Spider-Man, she doesn't have a good origin arc, that's why she can debut in a Spider-Man movie and then have her own film, she's a cool character with a terrible origin story. I guess Silver Sable can work solo though.

Alo0oy

Banned
While the Venom flick sounds like a mess, I'm cautiously optimistic about 'Silver & Black'. Gina Prince-Bythewood has made some good films, most notably, Beyond The Lights. Plus, I'm not really here to poo-poo the first comic book film directed by a woman of color, sight unseen.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to shit on the movie yet, the choice of characters is perplexing on Sony's part, but the director doesn't deserve pre-emptive hate.

Ridley327

Isn't it a prequel to sicario?

It's a sequel. I don't think there's really that much room for a prequel, as we already got the thrust of everything that happened to Alejandro prior to the events of the film, and there's room to push forward. Not that I think that there's a terrible necessity for Sicario to have a sequel, but they do have room to work with.

And I don't know why anyone would complain about Emily Blunt not coming back. That ending made it very clear that there's no place for her character in that world.

Blader

It's a sequel. I don't think there's really that much room for a prequel, as we already got the thrust of everything that happened to Alejandro prior to the events of the film, and there's room to push forward. Not that I think that there's a terrible necessity for Sicario to have a sequel, but they do have room to work with.

I think they've actually said it could be seen as a prequel or a sequel; that it's not tied to the events of the first movie, and could just as well take place before or after.

Ridley327

I think they've actually said it could be seen as a prequel or a sequel; that it's not tied to the events of the first movie, and could just as well take place before or after.

Huh, that's a little bit interesting. Considering the nature of the war on drugs, I can see why it wouldn't particularly matter much for continuity if it's one or the other, and that even sounds like that could be a decent point to make about the whole thing if that's something they would want to pursue.

J_Viper

Silver and Black sounds like it can be interesting, and the director looks to have a solid track record. Stop crying because it's not the MCU.

Sicario is not a film I would expect to see a sequel to, but I'm down.

I have more confidence than most in this sequel because Taylor Sheridan is still writing the screenplay. Dude's got loads of talent.
Hell or High Water and Wind River (and Sicario, itself) establish a pretty solid track record.

If Taylor is back, then I'm hopeful. Hell or High Water is legitimately one of my favorites films ever. I need to watch Wind River.

I wonder if Brolin will keep his Cable mass for the role.

I have more confidence than most in this sequel because Taylor Sheridan is still writing the screenplay. Dude's got loads of talent.
Hell or High Water and Wind River (and Sicario, itself) establish a pretty solid track record.

Didn't realize Sicario and Hell or High Water were written by the same guy. I absolutely loved both of those movies.

pswii60

Still surprised we're getting a sequel to Sicario of all films. I really liked it but it isn't the type of film that needs a sequel at all. But then this is Sony we're talking about, they were probably just pleased to have a film that went in to the green on Metacritic for once.

kswiston

Bad Boys for Life not making that date comes to the surprise of no one.

Bay should find his schedule a little more open now though.

Top Bottom